[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How old are you and what do you play? I don't have much
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 14
File: TP-151_1-young-to-old.jpg (22 KB, 460x150) Image search: [Google]
TP-151_1-young-to-old.jpg
22 KB, 460x150
How old are you and what do you play? I don't have much interaction with younger people so it makes me wonder how they feel about old games.
My first consoles were Mega Drive 2 and SNES and I would consider some of their games worth playing, still easy on the eyes and everything.
But shit from before my time? Asteroids and Pacman and such? I wouldn't bother with those.
So I wonder if that's how the younger set would see something fairly accessible like Super Mario World 1+2.
>>
I'm 9 and I like that old game with the bricks what was its name again
>>
Can you be more specific
>>
A buddy of mine has a kid who's 6 and plays Mario 1. He likes it but hates that there is no butt slam move.
He plays it better than he does newer games.
>>
I'm 18 and I've been stuck in old games ever since PS3. I never bothered to get a new console and just kept going with old shit
>>
>>3251425
>How old are you
>what do you play?
Mostly everything but sport and racing games, I'm not too keen on those genres, kart games are fine though.
>I wouldn't bother with those.
Why are you here again?
>>
>what do you play?
JPRGPS mostly. And anything that catchse my eye on /vr/ Oh, and KOF2k2 but I suck dick
>>
>>3251730
So I have to play asteroids or GTFO?

I think from my lifetime some of the hardest games to go back and appreciate are 3D platform types from around 2000.
Many are hard on the eyes and have really shitty controls.
>>
>>3251692
He needs wario land
>>
I play Rpg's, from any console, with a preference for PS1.
>>
File: V in a nutshell.jpg (345 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
V in a nutshell.jpg
345 KB, 720x540
>20
>Earthbound
>>
>>3251898
>So I have to play asteroids or GTFO?
You said that.
>Many are hard on the eyes and have really shitty controls.
Really, why are you here if you have that kind of ideas?
>>
23, first console was a PAL SNES and I collect and play SFC games now.
Sister's kid is 7 and was baffled by the controller and didn't quite understand it because his definition of 'playing video games' was touching a screen of a smart device.
>>
>>3251898
>I think from my lifetime some of the hardest games to go back and appreciate are 3D platform types from around 2000.
22 and the third spyro game is probably my favourite 3d platformer and ps1 game. Mario 64 and banjo kazooie along with the other two spyro games are all great.
Learning japanese to play more old games
>>
26. First console was a genesis. My first memory of playing video games was duck hunt and smb. I like mostly jrpgs and the occasional platformer. I end up playing mostly snes and psx though
>>
>>3251942
Judging by that picture I'd say
>13
>Undertale
>>
>>3251425
23, I play all sorts of things old and new.

As far as something related to /vr/ goes, I downloaded a gigantic collection of NES ROMs and I'm sampling them all alphabetically. I don't plan on finishing every single one (though I will when I'm convinced I can) but it's been a lot of fun.

I'll probably move up through other systems once I go through the collection, but that won't be for a few months.
>>
I'm 30
I play Saturn, 64, PlayStation, and Genesis games
>>
18.First console was a knock-off megadrivebecause i live in fucking russia.I play snes/genesis/nes/gba games.I'm not really into the new games,last new game i've enjoyed was a hotline miami
>>
>>3251425
Turned 24 just recently, I play things from just about anywhere from between the late 80's to today.

First console was an NES, we never had a SNES (I would end up emulating it a lot), later an N64.
I had a Gameboy Pocket which I spent many dear hours playing pokémon on.

Always thought Doom was super cool (partially because aesthetics and atmosphere), even as a little kid.
>>
I'm 24. I play anything that's good. My favourite series are Mario platformers, Zelda, Metroid, Castlevania, Max Payne, Pokémon and GTA, particularly the PS2 ones.
>>
>>3251692
I agree with the other guy, you need to show him some Wario Land and Wario Land 2, they're dirt cheap on VC, he'll probably love them.

>>3252641
Oh yeah, Diablo and Starcraft also had monumental influences on me as a kid, as much as I thought Doom was cool as a little brat, I wasn't good enough to appreciate how great the gameplay was, sometimes I would just explore levels with No Monsters to soak in the atmosphere (also because the monsters scared me back then), often TNT and Plutonia (Doom 95)
>>
I'm 33 and I currently play wot blitz for the most part. I have an Xbox one but I rarely play it. I have fallout 4, halo 5 and black ops 2. I also enjoy civilization on the pc. I also have numerous emulators on the pc. Mostly play old rpg games from my youth.
>>
33, 3rd to 7th gen. 2nd gen is too old for me to enjoy outside of novelty and I'm done buying new consoles unless there are changes.
>>
>>3251425
>So I wonder if that's how the younger set would see something fairly accessible like Super Mario World 1+2

Interesting point, I think that after you have seen certain things It's hard to accept something that looks uglier and more clunky, I mean for someone from the 70's that has never seen a videogame obviously an Atari 2600 game can look really fun to play, but if you played Pac-Man on the NES how can you possibly enjoy the Atari version other than nostalgia?

Nevertheless I think the 3rd gen is the base, it has enough capabilities to have decent games even for today, anything older its just too rustic.

>How old are you
>what do you play?
Anything that is entertaining, grew up with the Famicom, but if I can play a superior version of something I always do it, for example as a kid I loved MK2 on the SNES, but today I would not touch anything that isn't the Arcade version, its just better.
>>
>>3251425
49. I play lots of old arcade games, Atari 2600 games, and games from 8-bit area computers (Apple II, Atari 400/800, C64). It's nostalgia for what I and my friends had as teens. When I play modern games, I tend towards strategy and simulation games.
>>
File: 14645603748971963149218.jpg (836 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
14645603748971963149218.jpg
836 KB, 2560x1440
>>3251425
26, i play sega genesis and super famicom. I was just emulating for a while but then i said fuck it gotta get dat hardware.
>>
>>3252031
fuck off tryhard
>>
>>3251425
I'm 18, most of the /vr/ I play is arcade games and Dreamcast if it counts

I don't have a problem getting into stuff like SNES and Genesis, but I do find some NES games to be too "cryptic" and the bad framerate and draw distance also ruins a lot of PS1 games for me. I don't write off the entirety of either system but that's how it is.
>>
>>3251425
im 35.
i had a ps3 but got rid of it.
i play retro only nowdays.
also old arcade games on my mamecab like donkey kong asteroids and pacman.
the simplicity is what hooks me
>>
I'm 33, started gaming with a 2600 and NES in the house in the 80s. Moved to Genesis and 386 and eventually up through newer consoles.

I play new and older games, but lately it's all been Sega Genesis stuff--right now I'm working on Adventures of Batman and Robin, Streets of Rage 2, and Uncharted Waters: New Horizons.

The leap from 2nd gen to 3rd was big enough that I think most people are with you OP, although strictly when referencing consoles of the time. Arcade games from that era were great, but the 2600 versions were usually a pale imitation. That's not to say those systems don't have good games, shit like River Raid will always have a special place in my heart, but rather that it's typically not enjoyable to play a lot of them for more than maybe a half hour at a time.

I have Nephews that enjoy 3rd gen and above, and others that only play new games. I think it largely depends on what systems they are shown.
>>
File: 1382781792947.jpg (37 KB, 614x612) Image search: [Google]
1382781792947.jpg
37 KB, 614x612
I'm 26, started off with the SNES and original Gameboy when I was about 4-5, still have the SNES. I got hooked on gaming and have at least console from each generation afterward. My /vr/ systems are Gameboy, GB Color, SNES, Genesis, SEGA CD, Saturn, and N64.

As a kid I played Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country, and Pokemon Red/Silver the most, now I still play Pokemon and am currently enjoying Sonic Spinball alright.
>>
27. First console was the NES, followed by the Genesis, and then have been with PlayStation ever since. Regardless of what system was new, I always enjoyed going back and replaying old treasures or trying to beat a game I'd been stuck on.

Over the past few years in particular I've been checking out the snes gems i missed out on, and have had a fantastic time doing so. I'm pretty partial to platformers, but also enjoy shmups and beat'm ups, adventure games, and the occasional puzzle or racing. I've also been playing a lot of Warlight and Age of Empires of late.

And I share your sentiments on playing things older than what I grew up on.
>>
>>3251425
35. Started gaming at my (then) friend's house backinna80's on his NES. Got a 2600 soon afterwards. I was all like "meh" but at least I had my own system.
Warlords was great.
Adventure was great.
Wizard of Wor was ...cool?

I always dreamed of playing 2600 and NES on a huge screen.
>dreamfulfilled.jpg
>>
Very close to 21. I just started building an N64 collection. Been playing Genesis and PlayStation since I can remember. Trying to rebuild my Genesis collection and I have a shitload of classic games on PSN.

I just started getting really into retro games the past couple of years. I guess it interests me for nostalgia reasons and the fact that games these days are just way too long and non-game like. Why spend over 100 hours in an RPG when I can spend 40-50 in an old RPG and still find it just as fun. I dont have the time or money to keep up with modern gaming and retro gaming will always have a cool appeal to it.
>>
>>3251425
I'm 30, and the first console I played was the Atari 2600. The Atari never clicked with me, and I didn't really enjoy any games made before the NES era.

I mainly play my PS2 and PS3 nowadays, which will change when the PS4's library expands a bit. I still emulate a lot of older games, but I don't use my consoles anymore. It's too much of a hassle, and emulation lets me play a lot of neat stuff I missed when I was younger, along with a bunch of Japanese exclusives.

My uncle had an NES and a Genesis, and I got an SNES of my own in 1991, so I grew up with all three of those. Nintendo / Sega wars didn't really mean anything to me, because I enjoyed both. I never got to play the Saturn, and didn't enjoy the N64, so the PS1 was my mainstay until the non-retro era. For whatever reason, Saturn and Dreamcast stuff was SUPER rare around here. A friend of mine let me borrow his Dreamcast back when I was in high school, so I got to play a few games on it, at least.

Anyway, I'll play pretty much anything from the NES to the PS4. I feel that every era past the NES has something to offer, while video games before the NES are too primitive and clunky for me to enjoy. I know a lot of people on /vr/ enjoy their Atari games, but that's something I've never been able to get into.
>>
>survey thread
Nobody gives a fuck about the lives of Anonymous. Sage.
>>
File: 1263171741587.png (39 KB, 110x170) Image search: [Google]
1263171741587.png
39 KB, 110x170
23. I play everything aside from most sports and racing games. My first experience gaming was SMB at my dad's friend's place. I loved it. We were pretty poor, so most of my gaming was done on early emulators. I remember playing some shitty megaman game on a website and trying to download it on my windows 95 pc, wondering why megaman.nes wouldn't run.

Once I finally got NESticle I started downloading everything I could find. I have fond memories of downloading every rom on a site called Cult of Kefka. Mostly SNES rpgs at the time. The first time gaming really blew my mind though was when I went to a buddy's house and his older brother was playing Star Ocean: The Second Story. He let me start a new file and I fought over 150 battles just in the cave in Salva.

I got off topic there, but those memories, man.
>>
>>3253486
You dont like reminiscing about your retro experiences? What are you, 12?
>>
File: 2016-05-29 20-15-51.png (14 KB, 259x310) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-29 20-15-51.png
14 KB, 259x310
I'm 28 and I'm currently away at college, so I don't have access to much of my games or desktop PC. Yeah, I got into college late.

I'm in a similar boat. SNES and up are awesome. I feel pac-man and such is ancient technology that wasn't capable of completely entertaining gameplay or stories yet. From SNES and up it was possible. Yeah, I'm probably biased.

With that said, I recently hacked my 3DS so I play some games on that. I play Star Wars Battlefront 2 on my desktop when I visit home. Pic related shows what I currently have on my laptop. I really only play a bit of Brogue or may Neverwinter Nights 2 recently. I also just won 2 Sony PVMs in an auction and plan to set up an emulator retro-gaming center so I can play SNES games and get into some MAME games like Metal Slug. Damn that game looks awesome.
>>
File: saygoodnight.jpg (93 KB, 480x359) Image search: [Google]
saygoodnight.jpg
93 KB, 480x359
>>3251425
over 35... I can't get used to modern games that catter to huge masses, 1 or 2 exceptions.
I like 90's PC rpgs like Fallout and Baldur's Gate, that's what I've been playing related to this board, nowadays. I also enjoyed back in the day console RPGs, PSX ones and NES ones...: Final Fantasy Tactics, Gargoyles Quest 2, Faxanadu, Grandia... Mario Games, hell yeah, played countless hours 1 and 3.
>>
>>3253506

Why the fuck does that guy look like Ben Stiller?
>>
File: 1263171772497.jpg (7 KB, 110x170) Image search: [Google]
1263171772497.jpg
7 KB, 110x170
>>3253779
Because it is Ben Stiller.
>>
>>3253823

Color me an idiot, but you serious?
>>
>>3252390
Yeah, platformers might be the wrong word for it. Those games are fine. I mean stuff like ah...

I'm having trouble remembering titles. PC ones where the strafing is all shitty and the models are garbage.
>>
>>3253486
Oh know, the goyim found me out. Now my plan to use the results of this survey to buy up all the world's carts of Final Fantasy VI and jack up the price for /vr/ will fail.

It's not a direct survey, faggot. At least that's not the intention. What I wanted to know is do all the kids think the vidya of my day is shit and not worth playing.
>>
>>3251425
26. Grew up with the Genesis and a Gameboy. Right now I'm alternating between Thief Gold and Phantasy Star 1.

>Asteroids and Pacman and such? I wouldn't bother with those.

You mean the most casual arcade games ever? Kill yourself faggot those games are still fun and timeless for a reason.
>>
>>3253103

I'm basically this guy.
>>
26, currently going through Star Control 2, something I never got the chance to play as a kid.

I've gone through so many games that have come before my time in recent years, but my first exposure to video games was my grandfathers atari he had in his office break room, where I used to play stuff like missile command, so perhaps that sets my expectations at a different level.

I do think there's always going to be some sort of aversion to playing games that are older than what you were originally exposed to. Even with something as accessible as SMW there's bound to be younger people who think it's unplayable garbage. Not all of them, of course. But I think it's the exception rather than the rule, for those who aren't annoyed at the lack of modern convenience and graphics in older games.
>>
I'm 29 and I play Starcraft Broodwar in gateway Asia, Urban Dead, original Doom, many rpgs (mainly SNES/PSX), and alot more. I'll play pretty much anything that's good.
>>
>>3253850
If the vidya of your day is Atari shit than I can probably answer that for you. Atari games are fun. They are great time killers. But NES and beyond is when vidya really expanded. A good atari game is probably on par with a good mobile game. So not useless but definitely not something I or any of my friends would put serious time into.
>>
>>3254212
This.

The catch about Atari games is that there's only a small handful of titles you can actually "beat" and most of them just stretch on forever.

For some people that aspect makes it difficult to invest time in them.
>>

I play old and new games, though of course I grew up with the old ones. Never was a console guy until well in high school. Parents never wanted to get me a console so I got one for myself when I managed to save money (The PsOne, back in 1998, way past it's time really). After that bought all Sony consoles, and own them. Have a DS and 3ds as well for summer months.

However, I grew up with the PC, and the games on the PC. I play retro games when I can and when the hunger strikes. At one time I had a silly notion I'd play through all adventure games released. Even managed to get up to the letter B (Playing the redux version of Bad Mojo at the moment), though in the meantime, a shitload of A games probably got released.
>>
File: eccofgc018etdslide.gif (2 MB, 250x224) Image search: [Google]
eccofgc018etdslide.gif
2 MB, 250x224
>>3251425
I'm 42 and mostly play a mix of 8 and 16 bit and modern games. I had a 7800 at one point, but was never really into it. It was mostly NES, SMS and Genesis that really got me into them.

I still play older games because many of them are so good. I go back and revisit old favorites and try things I never played originally.
>>
>>3251425
I'm 46 and play just about everything. Not so much a fan of modern FPS but play with younglings sometimes. I play old arcade and 2600 games from time to time. Shit like 2 player joust is great to humiliate kids and shit like phoenix is great just to kill some time.
My youngest is 13 and we play a lot of the same games together. He plays a lot of LOL recently but I'm sure it's just a phase.
>>
File: 1463175745264.jpg (267 KB, 900x520) Image search: [Google]
1463175745264.jpg
267 KB, 900x520
23. First console was SNES and I mostly play RPGs, but I'll give most genres a try. I don't really care how old or new a game is if it's fun.
>>
File: fuck year.webm (3 MB, 912x672) Image search: [Google]
fuck year.webm
3 MB, 912x672
23. I like arcade-type games. I've been trying to 1cc Metal slug 3. Once I've done it it'll be the very first arcade game I've ever 1cc'd. And I would like for that honor to go to metal slug 3 mainly because I've fallen in love with it so hard.
>>
>>3251425
33, and i'm currently actively playing overwatch and stellaris.

started gaming with a 2600 but played mostly pc throughout the lifetime. i still enjoy playing the likes of space war, haunted house, or air sea battle with my nephews although the older ones don't really like it, predictably. they're not really at the age where they start complaining, so there's that though. kids enjoy simple fun, stuff that does stuff, but when they get older they start to ask "why".

personally, i could probably play other titles or older games if it's on a party setting but i'm not going to play it for purely personal enjoyment.
>>
>>3257220
>of all MS games he likes 3 the most
oh brother
>>
>>3252426
Is Undertale the new mlp? If I shit on it will you think I'm cool?
>>
>>3253832
Someone made a collection of Baldur's Gate themed celebrity portraits.
>>
>>3257241
so which is the best?
>>
>>3251425
Tetris NES and Tetris the Grand Master arcade

I recently came to a conclusion that people don't actually play or care about video games old or new,even on this board there are maybe 5% of all people posting actually playing games the rest just act like they do for whatever reason.
So i just play games on my own and don't really interact with anyone about them.
I also develop a game in my spare time that i plan to publish 1 maybe 2h demo for and that will be the end of it.
>>
>>3258010
never the one you pick. Just play and enjoy them, and don't give a fuck about opinions
>>
>>3258010
1 and 2
The rest is just bad level design with even worse ideas and concept.
Have you seen MS XX,it hurts to watch how bland it is.
>>
>>3252882

How much did you pay for it?
>>
Fucking hell I knew this board was full of kids but damn when did it get this bad.
>>
>>3258048
why do you consider it bad that people are discovering games from before their time?
>>
>>3258048
there was a thread like this few weeks back and most of them were 18-20 so many of these post are full of shit.
>>
>>3258025
> people don't actually play or care about video games old or new,even on this board there are maybe 5% of all people posting actually playing games the rest just act like they do for whatever reason.

Why would you think this, please explain your reasons.
>>
>>3257987
It's the hot new thing, gotta tell people what's what, put them in their place, how else will people see how cool you are?
>>
>>3251425
I'm 19 and I play SNES, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Saturn, Master System, and I have a Famicom on its way. In fairness, I come from a shitty small town in Britbongland and we didn't actually have a shop that sold brand new games until like 2004. The only game shop in town was a second hand shop that mainly sold Sega and PS1 games (and still does, although it still sells modern games second hand as well). That, and I have three older brothers so I mainly grew up playing the Mega Drive and PS1, as well as 90's PC games like Dungeon Keeper, Duke Nukem and Starcraft since we didn't have a computer with more than 96MB of RAM until 2008.

I play more old games than most people I know, but it seems like a lot of the /vr/ exposure people in my age group has comes down to what town they're from and whether they had older siblings. Some of my friends grew up playing Mega Drive, some grew up with an N64 or a PS1, while others' first experiences with vidya were on the Xbox and Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire on the GBA. There's a lot of variation.
>>
>>3251425
>I don't have much interaction with younger people so it makes me wonder how they feel about old games

You don't have children?

Oh wait, who am I kidding, it's 4chan. Sex/reproduction/human contact---that shit doesn't happen in this place.
>>
File: adam-sandler-finger-gun.gif (2 MB, 600x284) Image search: [Google]
adam-sandler-finger-gun.gif
2 MB, 600x284
>>3258185
Having kids is a death sentence for a man at worst and a huge gamble at best. Furthermore, only a sadist would bring a child into this world if they weren't obscenely wealthy (which I'm going to assume OP is not).

But you're not going to listen to me anyway. So preserve the white race, yada yada, behind every great man is a great women, yada yada, happy wife happy life yada yada.
>>
File: GOd9PCN.gif (2 MB, 331x248) Image search: [Google]
GOd9PCN.gif
2 MB, 331x248
>>3258196
>Having kids is a death sentence
>>
>>3258196
>how_to_trigger_reactionary_tradcons.txt
>>
>>3258196
Stale copypaste is stale.
>>
File: img-84.png (44 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
img-84.png
44 KB, 640x480
>>3258185
We got retro romance sims and retro child-raising sims so we're good. And sometimes retro child romancing sims.
>>
>>3258026
First reply best reply
>>
>>3258196
Adam Sandler sucks and anyone who likes him is an idiot.
>>
>>3259141
He used to be good. Little Nicky was his last good movie though.
>>
>>3251425
I'm only 22, but I grew up in a rural place so gaming wise I was always a beat behind, was playing genesis and game boy pocket when ps2 was released and wasn't really aware of it, and still on N64 by the time 360 came out.

I really enjoy the GBA, genesis, and N64, but I mainly play pre-360 games. I only buy about 2 modern games a year and only ones I'm really interested in, having gone though a phase where I would buy a new retail game every month and I enjoy games alot more now.

I just feel modern games are very sluggish and slow to start with all kinds of hurdles with patches and installing and such. If I give a game a chance I want it to grab my attention fast, as otherwise I have more fun trying to master games I know I like instead.
>>
>>3251425
I'm 28. I like arcade classics, 2D platformers, fighters like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter II, and DOS FPSs like Doom and Duke Nukem 3D are my thing.
>>
>>3252817
Nostalgia is pretty much cancer and AIDS. It leads people to spectacular levels of delusion.
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.