[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Diablo
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 3
File: Diablo_Coverart.png (93 KB, 256x255) Image search: [Google]
Diablo_Coverart.png
93 KB, 256x255
Let's talk about Diablo
>>
>>3249456
"Stay awhile and listen"

Whenever in doubt, level up dexterity.
>>
I've been on the fence about reinstalling Diablo 2 and trying out the Median XL mod. Either that or give Torchlight 2 a try.

It's been a few years since my last D2 play through and I'm getting the itch.
>>
>>3249456
Good god, the memories I have of that game.

While the graphics were dogshit, split-screen coop with a buddy while you both played Warriors was legitimately some of the most fun you could have with a PS1.
>>
>not regenerating mana
>>
>>3249456
Great soundtrack. I've never even played the game but listen to the full OST on numerous occasions
>>
>>3249468
>not vitality

WEW
E
W
>>
>>3249456
>see a yellow zombie on the edge of the screen
>alt-f4
>>
>>3249630
The game came out in 1996, I thought the isometric graphics were pretty decent at the time? Maybe they were worse on the ps1.
>>
>play warrior
>archer enemies every 10 pixels
>they flee as soon as you get near them
>hope the fucker runs into a corner while you aggro the whole floor chasing after him
Why is this approved?
>>
Don't like how you stop gaining xp on lower enemies after awhile.

I dig the oppressive atmosphere and the killer soundtrack. Feels as much a horror game as a hack and slash RPG.

Don't like how the shrines can totally cuck you.

5/5 all around though highly recommended.
>>
>>3249896
>cuck
What do you mean by this?
>>
>>3249924
He's just using it to vaguely refer to a bad thing, cuck is the latest fad word that's now lost all meaning.
>>
>>3249891
>>3249828
>What are bows
>>
>>3249924
He's talking about how shrines will have sex with his wife while he's watching and masturbating.

I don't remember that ever happening in the game though.
>>
>>3249468
Good man.

>>3249796
Go back to playing D2, whichever shitty version of LoD you prefer.
>>
Anybody played the expansion? Is it any good? For some reason it costs a million dollars to buy it makes me wonder why it's so rare
>>
>>3250732
I played it when it was new. Just download it to try it out. Last time i fooled with it i had to use a virtual machine.
>>
>>3251049
yeah thats what your mom said!
>>
>>3249623
Medians great. Can't recommend it highly enough. Lots of fun and hard endgame quests missions dungeons bosses etc, more and cooler gear, crafting, entirelynew skill tree, decent online community.

It definitely adds a lot more to the game especially where nilla lacked ie endgame
>>
>>3250732
Hellfire?

It's not a million dollars.

It's really mediocre.
>>
I liked the roguelike elements in D1, like the ability to equip unidentified gear (to avoid negative magic item affixes) and spellbooks as a method to learn spells.

Too bad the genre didn't keep that stuff.
>>
>>3251258
That kinda stuff about Diablo is so fucking good, me being a player that started with Diablo 2 and made my way backwards. All the amazing things like random +1 or -1 to stats, or even stat effects affecting other players, make it a lot more RPG than Diablo 2 can ever dream of. And like you said, being able to play a rogue archer having a staff with 80 charges of inferno in my back pocket for boss situations is very roleplaying like. The less constrained I feel from layered game mechanics, the more free form it plays, the more it feels like a genuine dungeon crawling adventure.
>>
>>3250316
>Go back to playing D2, whichever shitty version of LoD you prefer.
What did he mean by that
>>
>>3249623
Median is cancer. Absolute utter cancer. Millenians should stay out of the business of modding pre-2000 games.
>>
>>3249623
>Torchlight 2
DEFINITELY GO for that my man
its goddamn fun to watch everyone explode, its what next diablo should have been
>>
>>3252647
I bought Torchlight 2 at launch and I make mods for it too. Treat Torchlight 2 as an itch for the genre, a bridge to your next Diablo-like action RPG, or simply an open moddable variant of Diablo. Torchlight 2 could be a good starting point of what Diablo 3 should've been, but not as a final product. It's basically a stagnant clone with very little evolution other than some admittedly great quality of life improvements (permanent companion, fishing to get fish/loot, feeding food buffs or transformation food, commanding pet to sell loot or restock your potions, etc). Torchlight 2 is like a good fanfic tier mod, where as Median is bad.
>>
>>3252747
>It's basically a stagnant clone with very little evolution

That's the entire ARPG genre
>>
>>3252751
I'm no Path of Exile shill, but I can definitely say there were giant steps taken with that game. Maybe some people weren't into the final game as with any other game, but I think some of the inner workings can be considered as evolving from the Diablo foundation. Some aspects of Diablo 3 were interesting too, it's just that game unlearned everything from previous games and stripped everything out related to roleplaying.
>>
>>3249891
If you're trying to close in on a large group of shooters in melee, you can abuse the fact that when walking left to right (diagonally, if you account for the tilted perspective), you become absolutely impervious to missiles.

It's also absolutely imperative you play with a shield. Warriors are enough of a challenge to play as is; having no block makes them miserable.

By Nightmare and Hell difficulty levels, you should put on reading glasses (all +Magic items you can muster) to learn and master Teleport. Telekill makes life so much easier, especially if you can telegraph certain AI patterns.

Otherwise, though, yeah, it can be an arduous grind. Play Rogue for comfy easiness through the whole game and versatility or Sorcerer for Lazarus runs and annihilating everything except a few avoidable monsters in Hell/Hell.
>>
>>3253085
Also I say this as someone for whom Warrior is the favourite class for both PvP and PvM due to underdog status and just style. It's fun to play a melee martial in the Diablo games, especially in D1 where your footwork and gear switching and tactics really matter. But even Warrior can have his day, and if you have a really fully equipped one for the occasion you can really rock certain enemy setups. My high level Warrior in Hell/Hell used to be able to jump in the middle of 9 Blood Knights and kill them all one by one, or even perform suicide runs against The Dark Lord while covered in enemies.
>>
>>3253085
>Telekill

It really helps to have a weapon of Speed/Haste, even if it's just a dagger.
>>
>>3253271
Yeah, in general, the way Speed/Haste just trounces everything else in suffix department for Warriors is kinda disappointing. Stunlock is just the best thing you can do.
>>
>>3249630
>graphics were dogshit
Go fuck yourself, Diablo is a beautiful game.
>>
>>3250732
It's kind of mediocre.

Like, it adds some cool stuff, a lot of the material is drudged up from the original game's cutting room floor, some in alright ways, some in bad ways.

If you really love Diablo, it'll be interesting, but it'll have you go "Ugh, why'd they do THAT?" quite a lot.

If you get it, look for an unofficial patch, because while the expansion adds some cool things, a lot of it you will never see, Hellfire completely breaks the unique drop rate so you'll never see any in a million years, this was never fixed by the devs or publisher.

If you want a Diablo that's "just more" then look around for mods, Belzebub is one of the best ones IMO.
>>
>>3254195
I don't hate Belzebub, but it does tend to turn the game into a shooty Metroidvania on the higher levels.
>>
>>3254203
I'll give you that, I could not for the life of me take on Izual as the warrior, he would freeze me and rape my boypussy
>>
>>3249630
>While the graphics were dogshit
the fuck is wrong with you
>>
>>3251384
That's exactly why D1 is so good, it feels more like an RPG/dungeon crawler. It's closer to the roguelikes that inspired the game, with all the consumables and spellcasters having noticeably different mechanics from other classes.
>>
>>3249456

Have they put this up on Battle.net to download yet? Same with Warcraft 2.
>>
>>3250135
lol
>>
File: 1360390228502.jpg (14 KB, 365x385) Image search: [Google]
1360390228502.jpg
14 KB, 365x385
>get spectral elixir as a reward
>no description
>save and drink it
>can't tell how much the stats changed
>exit without saving to check what it gives
>get back in the game
>elixir is now permanently bugged until a new game is started
LE EBIN BLIZZARD NORTH
>>
>>3254919
If it makes you feel better, Single Player monsters have a lower HP and damage count than their equivalents in Multiplayer Normal, and Spectral Elixir is just a nice boost that doesn't exist in MP, nothing that amazing.

SP Diablo is pretty doable no matter what setup.
>>
>>3251384
I can't play Diablo 2 anymore after playing one. D1 is such a masterclass game, flaws and all.
>>
>torchlight
>you can't respec
dropped
>>
The atmosphere in the first game is so good.

Perfect Halloween game.
>>
>>3255604
Diablo 2 is kind of fun in it's own way, if you don't get caught up in the mass autism that is the metagame, but 1 just has so many things 2 doesn't.

I'll still have a go at 2 on odd occasions, because it's a bit like an MMO without forced online, and lacking a bunch of it's bagage.
>>
I prefer Diablo 1. It's simple but a masterpiece.

Diablo II feels like the DK64 of ARPGs. It's just too damn excessive. Your fingers would get arthritis trying to play it through in one sitting.
>>
>>3249836
>>3254248
The Playstation game is half the resolution of the PC original. The details are lost and it ends up looking muddy. Nothing about what he says is wrong. Multiplayer was fun, but it was ugly.
>>
>>3258067
Diablo II is an adrenaline game. I was #22 on the new hardcore ladder reset and the #2 amazon until I fucked my shit up. The adrenaline in that game when racing up the ladder is a thrill. People don't sleep for that shit.
>>
>>3258091
They are both great games in their own way, hc mode is a blast
>>
>>3257104
There's a mod for that. Chill. Torchlight 2 allows limited respec of skills so you can experiment with minimal punishments and there is of course mods there too.
>>
>>3249951
>what are patches
>>
Is D2 considered worse? I have never played one but the classes interest me more.
>>
>>3259230
Its generally considered better. There's far more content to explore.
>>
>>3259238
Is the expansion just as good?

The idea of it being a psudo-mmo and really fast paced (I'm not very good with kb/m, can't play most rts for shit) but the necromancer, druid and paladin classes really interest me a lot more than playing any of the diablo 1 classes.

Is there some mod to play as them?
>>
>>3250135
You have to turn on player aggression
>>
Is there an HD mod which doesn't have gay gameplay changes?
>>
>he didn't get newbies to come down to the church and kill them in mass firewalls
>>
>>3258050
>metagame
?
>>
>>3259479
But I did, Anon.
>>
>>3259230
Diablo = designed and plays like a roguelike, tailored sense of adventure, horror atmosphere

Diablo II = addicting multiplayer persistency in itself is the adventure, adrenaline filled action and pacing, more refined and polished than Diablo, but slightly constrained in viable variety

Diablo III = all RPG elements were taken out in favor for extremely layered game mechanics designed to play like e-olympics. all action, subjectively addicting, gameplay is all number crunching, progression is push push push. you return to play in a new season for buff patches and cosmetics (artificial, but you may dig it)
>>
>>3259774
Goodpost
>>
>>3259230
In some ways it can be considered better, in others it can be regarded as lacking.
It's a bit of a different game though, it's much more fast and action oriented, for better or worse.

>>3259249
The expansion is kinda good, but I hear some say they don't like it as much, probably because of the metagame.

>>3259543
How the multiplayer is played, how people obsess over what runewords to build, how to play and build their character, just endlessly grinding bossruns, if you look at the characters people play in MP, on the higher levels, all characters of the same class look the same, all sorcerers are decked out in Tal Rasha's armor so they're all purple, and this is a terrible shame because the way your character looks can otherwise be much more varied and visually pleasing.

D2 multi is best when played with friends, hooking up with random strangers online can get very formulaic and repetitive, how mamy times do you want to fight Bhaal in a row?
At least with Cow runs there's huge piles of random loot, and it's honestly a little fun to poke through the refuse when low level, what high level players don't want can be worth a fortune or be really useful for a low level one.
>>
>>3260490
Oh yeah, and they'll just miss or ignore stuff when blazing through a herd of cows, you can find fistfuls of chipped and flawed gems, rings and amulets, charms and runes, or wands and staves that while not very useful for you, can be worth thousands of gold.
>>
>>3260497
but gold is useless unless you specifically make a gold find character to gamble with
>>
>>3259774
>but slightly constrained in viable variety

It was frustrating then, and in contrast with the huge number of viable D3 builds, going back to D2 feels like voluntarily tying one arm behind my back.

Also you can respec at any point in time, whereas D2 didn't let you do this without a trainer for a decade, and even then it's free exactly ONCE per difficulty and then it's basically a token hunt that can take days to grind out. It completely discourages players who aren't willing to use trainers from trying out skills and adapting their playstyles.
>>
>>3260695
Diablo 3 has that much variety because you're not mentioning the most important fact that it's constantly being revamped and rebalanced with every major patch. The changes happen, at least back then, because the game was so offensively bad, but now balance changes to make you want to come back and play the new season by buffing things here and there, and analyzing what players are abusing as the current metagame.

Diablo 2's respecs were not designed for players to toy around trying out builds unlike Diablo 3. The respecs for made for you to use as stepping stones to reach the final build you had in mind. Since the build you intend to pursue requires really high end gear and saving pretty much all your points for min maxing, it really hurts you during the low and medium levels where you feel absolutely useless. Those very few respecs allow you to play casually until you have gotten some sweet gear then you can build your character for real. You are meant to create a new character for every "real build", instead of Diablo 3 where you want just one character for each class and rebirth it over and over.
>>
>>3251994
I think he's too attracted to D1.
perhaps sexually
>>
>>3251998
Can you tell me what's so bad about it, anon?
>>
Is battle.net diablo II still alive? specifically in oceania.
I have a craving for uber trist and cow level fun, but it's boring on sp
>>
>>3260663
See, here we have metagaming.
I don't give a fuck about the hottest drops or builds or whatever, gold is useful for a beginner character as you don't quite get so much of it early on.

Also it's just adventure/RPG fare to collect gold.
>>
>>3262690
Gold is quite useful for gambling decent rare boots. belts, and jewelry in classic. Love it when I max out my gold stash, and can go gamble for like... I don't know, 5 minutes straight? Without stopping. Woot.

Not even joking. I've found some great legat itamz which I consider better than the prevailing dupes back in the day.
>>
>>3264297
Gambling can be pretty rewarding.
>>
>>3262571
Yeah, Blizzard recently did a major overhall on their legacy games, so the servers are all good to go and the game runs on modern OS's
>>
Around Christmas me and my brother got fucked in multiplayer Diablo 1.

I've played a fair amount of Diablo 2 but I only really played Diablo 1 previously when I was too young to know what I was doing. My brother has played both a decent amount though.

I was a warrior, and he was a sorceror. For like the first 6 floors 90% of the books we found were fucking Telekinesis, so my brother was OP at telekinesis but shit at everything else. The Skeleton King was hard as hell, it took us literally like an hour to kill somehow.

Eventually we made it halfway through the caves when we both got killed near the entrance to floor 11, and as much as we tried, we just couldn't recover our gear without getting killed again. In the end we had to give up and just say we'd been defeated.

Sometime soon I plan to have another shot at the game, although this time in single player.
>>
>>3265547
This is one of the things you couldn't ever know without reading a wiki, but for some reason Leoric has lifesteal in multiplayer. If you're manfighting him by being able to trade blows instead of being strong enough to totally shitstomp him, it'll take forever or be straight up impossible to kill him.
>>
>>3265690
Well, eventually we realised that something was just not right when I was whacking at him for god knows how long and he didn't seem to care, so we looked it up on the wiki and found out he had lifesteal.

Which then led to my brother spamming holy bolt (which was low level due to the aforementioned telekinesis books) while I kited the king around for ages.
>>
>>3265690
He has the Undead Crown.
>>
File: GlobalEnchantment_Crusade.png (7 KB, 256x258) Image search: [Google]
GlobalEnchantment_Crusade.png
7 KB, 256x258
>>3265547
Something about the caves is nasty shit. My friend and I were fucked up either on level 10 or 11.

But this was on battlenet when the game was released. So he left the game, went into chat and asked for a hacked to help us recover our stuff. And someone actually obliged, came in with a Warrior, telestomped the area.

Everyone went home happy and learned valuable lessons about whatever, etc.
>>
>>3266001
The caves is when the shit really hits the fan with all the acid spitters, lavamen and storm demons. Not only do they spam projectiles but they wreck shit in melee too.
>>
>>3249896
>Feels as much a horror game as a hack and slash RPG.

This is key and what was lost in the later games
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.