[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Started playing this recently and really enjoying it, but using
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
File: Castlevania_SOTN_PAL.jpg (112 KB, 380x384) Image search: [Google]
Castlevania_SOTN_PAL.jpg
112 KB, 380x384
Started playing this recently and really enjoying it, but using epsxe for it is making my piss boil. What other emulator would ye guys recommend.
>>
I don't recommend emulators, for I am not a fucking faggot.
>>
>>3249414
Play the vastly superior PSP version. No load times, better menus, higher resolution, no slowdown and it adds in the saturn extras. It truly is the best version of the game. It's called Dracula X Chronicles
>>
>>3249445
You'll need to unlock SOTN by finding the game icon in Dracula X as its not immediately available.
>>
>>3249414
Mednafen
>>
I had the same problem, and I switched to

NO$PXS

Its great.
>>
>>3249471
whoops

* NO$PSX
>>
>>3249445
i need confirmation for this. im thinking of replaying it and that sounds like a good option, but ive never emulated psp.

>>3249473
lol i didnt even notice until you corrected.
>>
>>3249445
>>3249461
>>3249471
Thanks guys Ill try all of them out
>>
>>3249471
I think NO$PSX has the potential of being a great alternative to PSXfin and a fine tool for homebrew programmers, but I just wish the dude fixed some of the nastiest bugs and inaccuracies. Audio is fucking spot on though, near Eternal/Blargg levels of spot on.
>>
>>3249445
>>3249504
I didn't try SOTN in particular, but meanwhile the Rondo of Blood remake worked flawlessly the original Rondo of Blood had some rendering problems (drawing in the "black bars" things that should not be there, quite annoying, as the game is obviously 4:3).
>>
speedfag here, used to run the game in alucard and richter

psxjin is the one

others say psxfin and shit, i dont care, just not epsxe bro.

Different emus for different games but for speedfagging sotn its psxjin. WR emufag uses it and so did i.
>>
>>3249564
after posting this i'm thinking ur piss is boiling because of lag?

well get used to it lol, if u want no lag get a really gay PSemu or get it for xbox360. The guys who speedrun it all run it on 360. No lag, its pretty sweet. Except you have to use that controller lol. Enjoy the dpad.
>>
>>3249565
The top guys*
>>
File: 3U67v8m.jpg (229 KB, 500x760) Image search: [Google]
3U67v8m.jpg
229 KB, 500x760
>>3249504
It is a good option, mostly, but features a different Maria mode from the Saturn version, and doesn't have the extra areas from the Saturn version, although those apparently were kinda lacking anyway.

Lack of R2/L2 means Mist form requires L+R at the same time which seemed to always trigger one of the other forms instead, but otherwise the game plays alright.
>>
>>3249414
I finished it 200% percent and then again with Richter on epsxe. What seems to be the trouble, friendolinni??
>>
I recommend buying it off PSN
>>
For anything 2D, Mednafen is the only answer

3D games are going to depend if you're an HD fag or not
>>
>>3250125

It's better to buy the DXC version which is also on PSN (although I think only on Vita)
>>
>>3250125
>I recommend buying it off PSN

That's just emulation though. Similar to mednafen. Software native res.
>>
>>3250136
I prefer standard definition for the authenticity.
Which emulator should I use?
>>
>>3249587

I played SOTN for the first time through DXC.

I never had an issue with it.

I missed out on the cheesy voice acting of the original, but I don't really see what makes it so special. I suffered through enough bad voice acting as a kid. I don't see why I need another child hood memory.
>>
>>3249440
Okay avgn
>>
>>3249587
>Lack of R2/L2 means Mist form requires L+R at the same time which seemed to always trigger one of the other forms instead, but otherwise the game plays alright.

You can set L for bat, R for wolf and L+R for mist

>>3250295
And DXC includes the original japanese cast with english subs, it's the best option.

Also has a removed song from the japanese version (which is sang by the Fairy which is also one of the japan-exclusive familiars that got included on DXC)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txKc3yN1WLU

The english version isn't bad actually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRAbUE1wSg4

"I am the wind" got removed though, and replaced with a new instrumental piece by Michiru Yamane "Mournful Serenade". I never really liked I am the wind anyway, I like this new ending a lot more. It fits much better with the rest of the game's music. I can see how some people like the contrast it made on the original though, but it wasn't my cup of tea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wojajBW4xKI
>>
>>3249414
>epsxe
Use mednafen.
>>
>>3249549
yeah the audio was the main reason I switched. You dont have to set up shit and it sounds great right away.
>>
>>3250306
>You can set L for bat, R for wolf and L+R for mist
But thats what he said.
>>
>>3249414
The PS3's built-in PS1 emulator.
>>
>>3249445
it doesn't have the extra areas and music, not to mention that the maria fight was butchered horribly
>>
>>3251349
>not to mention that the maria fight was butchered horribly

Eh, it wasn't that great on Saturn either. Bosses in general in SOTN aren't its forte.

I prefer PSP Maria with the Rondo moveset when playing as her.
>>
>>3250284
Mednafen is made for accuracy, not HD shit

Get it
>>
>>3249504
don't listen to this guy he got his facts wrong. The XBLA version has no load times the PSP version just has faster load times. The PSP version doesn't have any extra areas like the saturn version but it does have a playable Maria despite her being nothing like what she was like in the saturn port as well as a dumbed down Maria fight because of it. The PSP version has different voice actors it's mostly good but Alucards is horrible and Maria sounds like a twat. The only things that were carried from another version was the japanese original which had an extra fairy and demon familiar that wasn't present in the US version as well as a song that the fairy sings to you if you sit down long enough.
>>
>>3249453
not that hard though, the unlock is early in the game. which is good for scrubs like me
>>
>>3252462

Not to mention Rondo of Blood isn't even hard and it's about 30/40 minute long.
>>
>>3252465
>Rondo
>not hard
Nice meme. Just because you've played it for 100 hours and memorized all the boss patterns and enemy variations, doesn't mean it's an easy game.
>>
>>3252492

I didn't say it's an easy game, but it isn't hard either, it has a decent difficulty balance and a nice introduction to Castlevania to newcomers for this reason.
>>
>>3251474
I downloaded it because you guys were talking good things about it, and what do I get?

>a pain in the ass to configure a controller with analogs
>FUCKING COMMAND-LINE ONLY IN 2016 (are we suddenly in 1985 again?)
>the guis don't let you configure the controls

Yeah no. It's the same as Higan; I don't fucking care how accurate something is, if it's a pain in the ass to set up, it's not worth it and it's automatically trash.
>>
>>3252505
Nah, a good entry point to the series is the first game. It's short, none of the bosses are very difficult, and there's no complicated mechanics to learn, like the timings of doing backflips. And if the original's too hard for someone, they should move onto IV, which is what I think is the easiest of the series, because you don't really need subweapons and the platforming (outside of a few spotty parts) is simple.
>>
>>3252506
Then get MedGUI if command line is too much for you
https://sourceforge.net/projects/medgui/

>Higan
>hard to configure
I'm sorry, what?
>>
>>3252506
>It's the same as Higan
i think you're just incompetent
>>
>>3249414
psxfin honestly works pretty well, doesn't look that much different from how it is on a real PSX, and is exceedingly simple to get running

It's not so good for some games though, I had problems with Valkyrie Profile, though that game tends to have problems on any emulator
>>
>>3252506
Use Retroarch. Standalone Mednafen lacks many features.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.