[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>As these enhancements became more commonplace on the SNES,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9
File: VirtuaRacing.png (68 KB, 320x206) Image search: [Google]
VirtuaRacing.png
68 KB, 320x206
>As these enhancements became more commonplace on the SNES, the stock of existing Genesis games began to look outdated in comparison. Sega began work on an enhancement chip to compete with the Super FX, resulting in the Sega Virtua Processor. This chip enables the Genesis to render polygons in real time and provides an "Axis Transformation" unit that handles scaling and rotation. Virtua Racing, the only game released with this chip, runs at a significantly higher and more stable frame rate than similar games on the SNES. The chip was expensive to produce, and increased the cost of the games that used it. At US$100, Virtua Racing is the most expensive Genesis cartridge ever produced. Two other games, Virtua Fighter and Daytona USA, were planned for the SVP chip, but were instead moved into the Saturn's launch line-up.[121] There were plans to sell the SVP chip as a separate upgrade module for the Genesis,[122][123] but this module was never released.

How does it feel knowing they planned on porting DAYTONA and VIRTUA FIGHTER to Genesis?
>>
Silky smooth 9 fps.
>>
>>3249084
Would have ran better than Starfox and Stunt Car FX though.
>>
File: megadrive power adapter.jpg (8 KB, 237x213) Image search: [Google]
megadrive power adapter.jpg
8 KB, 237x213
better make way for my SVP power plug
>>
If i want to watch that shitty Bruce Springsteen music video I'm not gonna pay $100 and put a seventh transformer on my surge protector
>>
>>3249076
I bought the Jap version cib for 10 bucks. It's got smooth if crude 3d. The music is God tier though
>>
>>3249076
>How does it feel knowing they planned on porting DAYTONA and VIRTUA FIGHTER to Genesis?
>planned

lol
Anyways, VF2 is shit on Genesis. The 32X port is 3D but also quite bad. I'm glad we never saw what they would have had to do to Daytona to get it running on Genesis.

Virtua Racing was a neat novelty, but pretty bad as an actual game in the Genesis port.
>>
>>3249089
No shit. The SNES has a much weaker CPU.
>>
>>3249628
>The 32X port is 3D but also quite bad.

Actually it is really fucking impressive. Sure the poly models are weaker, but the framerate is good and the game plays closer to the arcade as the Saturn port.

Also it has extreme optimizations - it actually switches to high poly models when it can, usually when it zooms in extremely close (like the match win poses). Those models are almost as good as the Saturn ones.

All in all one of the most impressive 3d games on the 32x.
>>
>>3249636
>thinks clock speed is the only measure of a processor's power
Found the babby.
>>
I was going to point out that this thread mirrors the logic that led to the production of the 32x but it seems it's already getting there on its own.
>>
>>3249653
Why do Nintendo fanboys always rush to defend a weak, 25 year old console? Is it because you don't have any games to play?
>>
>>3249643
Yeah, I don't see what's so bad about the 32X VF port. I mean it's missing some stuff but if you compare it to launch VF on Saturn it's a winner.

I imagine VF Complete or whatevr it's called is a plain blowout though.

Why did they always port shit to Genesis that didn't need ported to Genesis? Outrun didn't run well at all, so why did they think Outrunners would work? Why not just wait until the Saturn for that one?
>>
>>3249660
I'm a nintendo fan but I find the SNES underwhelming. I think it gets defended because it was a childhood console for many. Personally I think the NES is better, this is coming from an N64 kid though.
>>
File: 1239163142399.gif (295 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1239163142399.gif
295 KB, 200x150
>>3249660
>trying to instigate a console war

Fuck off.

That said..

>>3249663
>this is coming from an N64 kid though.
I was that too, but as the years went by I found the N64 the underwhelming console while liking the SNES much better.
>>
>>3249663
I think Nintendo is a very safe developer of hardware and software. Inoffensive, but boring. Their games are typically joyless and their consoles are straightforward and do not push the limitations of their era. Sega burned bright for four generations, Nintendo continues to slowly burn.
>>
File: 1463935722614.gif (2 MB, 286x202) Image search: [Google]
1463935722614.gif
2 MB, 286x202
>>3249076
>How does it feel knowing they planned on porting DAYTONA and VIRTUA FIGHTER to Genesis?

Tbh man, I feel almost embarassed for Sega and the lengths they would go to (read: gimp) ir in order to port games to the Genesis.
>>
>>3249076
Better than releasing them for a pointless add on. The SVP was more than enough for the Megadrive to hold up that last year before Saturn came out. Sure Virtua Racing for the Megadrive was primitive, so what. The point was gaining time, not making arcade perfect ports for an old system.
>>
File: uderzo_and_co__by_avix-d6w1eoj.jpg (83 KB, 600x852) Image search: [Google]
uderzo_and_co__by_avix-d6w1eoj.jpg
83 KB, 600x852
>>3249661
>Why did they always port shit to Genesis that didn't need ported to Genesis?

Why indeed.
>>
>>3249663
I'm a Sega fan and I respect the hell out of the SNES. The great console war was probably one of the best things to ever happen to the industry. The NES really pulled gaming back from the brink and dominated with an incredible run though so it's no surprise that it has every type of game while later certain types of games just naturally were better on Genesis. You've got to be a 23-28 year old "N64 kid" to think much of the N64 though.
>>
>>3249676
>The NES really pulled gaming back from the brink
When will this meme die?
>>
>>3249676
>American Sega 'fans'
>>
>>3249680
Not any time soon, gaming journalism is so americentrist most Europeans under 30 don't even know what a C64 was.
>>
>>3249686
I've had Australian kids ask where the 'Genesis' games are. We actually have a few Gensis labelled games in the shop, but I usually just say 'what's a Genesis?'
>>
File: GOd9PCN.gif (2 MB, 331x248) Image search: [Google]
GOd9PCN.gif
2 MB, 331x248
>>3249692
>We actually have a few Gensis labelled games in the shop,
>but I usually just say 'what's a Genesis?'
>>
>>3249661
The Genesis couldn't run them well, but the SNES couldn't run them at all.

It was just to prove that they were more poweful. Space Harrier II, despite being the first title ever made for it and sluggish as shit, must've been impressive to see.
>>
Virtua Racing on 32X is actually pretty damn good
>>
>>3249653
The SNES processor doesn't have anything good going for it. Not only is the Genesis CPU faster but it internally supports 32 bit instructions and has better IPC for SIMD-style operations like for 3D polygon maths.
>>
The Saturn Virtua Racing has so much more content its ridiculous.

Why is that?
>>
>>3249670
>Sega burned bright for four generations, Nintendo continues to slowly burn.

Very poetic, but ultimately you're just a Sega fanboy trying to justify his fanboyism.

Both Sega and Nintendo are/were great. if you didn't feel joy playing games like F-Zero or Wave Race 64, then I feel sorry for you, they're very Sega, you let a brand decide what you should like or not.
>>
>>3249912
And I might add, likewise, if you're a Nintendo fan, you should like Sega games like Phantasy Star, Wonder Boy in Monster Land or Ristar, which are all close to the kind of games Nintendo is known for.
>>
>>3249076
SVP chip was a lot better idea then the 32x
>>
>>3249663
>>3249670
I don't even know why I'm wading into this console fight. Anyway...

I was born in 1995. First gaming system was a Game Boy Pocket, followed by GBC, PS1, GBA, N64, GameCube, PS2, Wii, etc.

No nostalgia for the SNES itself. But games like Super Mario World, Super Metroid, ALttP, and EarthBound are full of joy and whimsy. Mario World and EarthBound especially. They are games that just want to be fun and make you happy.

I have huge respect for the Dreamcast, and all its weird games. Rez FTW. I'm not too familiar with the libraries of the other Sega systems. The old Sonic Genesis games are okay, but having played them and Super Mario World about the same time (when I was 8 or 9 years old?) I never once thought the best Sonic game was better than Mario World. That continues to this day, and I was a huge Sonic fan growing up. Sonic Advance 1-3, Adventure 1&2, Heroes, Mega Collection. Sonic 1-3 and Knuckles have level design below Mario World, and they are case in point for "inoffensive, but boring". Those games are great at their best, but boring at their worst. If I went back to them today I'd probably stop after 4-6 levels. There's a danger with Mario World that if I start it I will get to Star Road and just beat the whole thing.

Virtual Boy pushed the limits of the era, but it was probably a shit device. (Never played it.)

Wii and DS are the one-two punch of Nintendo breaking the mold and catching their competitors by surprise.
>>
>>3249661

Outrun 2019 ran amazingly fast. Panorama cotton is highly playable too.
>>
>>3249960

Then you don't know good level design.
>>
File: sakurai1367213975253.jpg (119 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
sakurai1367213975253.jpg
119 KB, 600x800
>>3250245

And you do? What games have you made?
>>
>>3249764
http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~dherring/cgt141/project1/comparison.html
>>
>>3250246
Fuck off Sakurai. Go back to shitposting on /v/.
>>
>>3249960
Those SNES games are just safe. What did they ever really do? There's no SNES game where you look at it and say 'that's new, that's original'. I don't know why you think Sonic the Hedgehog is representative of all Mega Drive games, that's ridiculous but I guess Nintenyearolds don't know of anything besides mascots and platformers.
>>
>>3250683
>safe

Is this a new, dank buzzword to dismiss games you don't like?
>>
>>3250715
It means that while being technically satisfactory they are boring and uninteresting to long time game players. Nintendo games don't risk offending their casual audience. Nintendo is boring.
>>
>>3250730

Again, is that some kind of buzzword for "company I don't like"?
>>
File: 1455138879065.jpg (21 KB, 193x182) Image search: [Google]
1455138879065.jpg
21 KB, 193x182
>>3249692

>he works at a game store
>>
>>3250730

As a Sega fan... where did Sega try to offend their casual audience? (other than Sonic 2006 but that isn't retro).

Not offending your audience ("hardcore/casual" labels notwithstanding, these words didn't exist pre-2000 as videogame lingo) is not a bad thing, it means you're competent and not retarded.

Games being "boring" is subjective, I've been playing games since the Atari days and have owned most major consoles when they came out, and I enjoyed those SNES games.
>>
>>3249076
I really don't understand what was so amazing about it.
In terms of both raw visuals and performance (like framerate) Stunt Race FX on the SNES was better in every way.

It didn't help that a far superior port was released on the 32X only a few months later.
>>
>>3250745
I own a game shop.
>>3250743
No, didn't you read what I wrote?
>>
>>3250750
It's not about offending them, it's about risking offending them. Any Nintendo game could be beaten easily by an eight year old. Sega, who published good arcade games unlike Nintendo, has always had far more challenging games.
>>
In theory they should have sold the SVP as an EXPANSION CART and have the games be loaded off Sega CD. This way, it would help get rid of back stock of sega cd (which already had a small install base) and it is a more reasonable pricetag to extend the life of the system. The SVP chip isnt whatever the 32x is, but looking at videos of VRacing shows that it was close enough.

32x was like 300 bucks? One of these svp chips as an "expansion cart" would be maybe 80? Kind of like what n64 did I guess.
>>
>>3249692
This is a great way to treat your customers.
>>
>>3250751
Stunt Race runs at like 10fps, Virtua Racer is so much smoother.
>>
>>3249912
Sega even made the arcade version of FZERO
>>
>>3249680
>>3249683
>>3249686
news flash: european computer games are terrible and it's pathetic that you think you were somehow keeping gaming alive by playing those pieces of shit in the mid 80s
>>
>>3250906
They're not as good as arcade games, no, but they're certainly better than any home console before 1990.
>>
>>3249076
>At US$100, Virtua Racing is the most expensive Genesis cartridge ever produced.

That's over $160 dollars today. And people get pissed about $65 games with $20 season passes.
>>
>>3250758
even the original sonics, supposedly the kids games for the system are much harder than the SNES mario games. Everything on the NES is delciously hard, I'm not talking about the earlier mario bros games.
>>
>>3250935
now virtua racing is bargain bin fodder garbage.
>>
>>3250919
You're fucking retarded, Australia-kun
>>
>>3250967
Those Mario games are only made hard by how poorly they control. The only difficult NES games were by third party publishers.
>>
>>3251004
>Those Mario games are only made hard by how poorly they control.
Jesus fucking christ
>>>/v/
>>
>>3249660
They gotta fight for something, not like Nintendos doing anything remotely impressive nowadays :^)
>>
>>3251065
You think you know more about games than Ryuichi Nishizawa?
>>
>>3249076
How does it feel to know the Genesis could render 3D graphics without additional chips like the Super Slow Processordo?
>>
>>3251115
You'd still need additional chips to do any fancy 3D at a decent (8-15 fps) framerate on the Genesis. Then again you'd probably get at best 0.5-2 fps on the SNES b/c of how slow the CPU is.
>>
>>3249628
at the time, Virtua Racing for Genesis was stunning

it took a year before I was ever able to rent it, because the store's copy was so in demand.

so it wasn't even that new when I finally lucked into renting it

but I was playing it NON STOP that weekend because it was so fun.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.