[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Check my thrift store find. Only $75
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
Holy fuckballs guys, I couldn't believe it. The place normally checks ebay to find out how much things are worth. I bet they couldn't find any past auctions so just priced it like it was an normal Intellivision.
>>
That's amazing. The fucking keyboard component is worth a fortune and rare as fuck, so congratulations.
>>
What state?
>>
Cali forn nya nya
>>
>>3248650
Where in CA? I love me some CA thrift.
>>
Nice find. I got a commodore vic 20 and a C64 both complete in box up here in Canada from goodwill
>>
Here in southern cali reseller scum and illegals always pick thrift stores dry.
>>
Cool find, but reddits that way anon
>>
>>3248793
Someone sounds a little Jelly. I hear the Jelly School is still accepting applicants.
>>
>>3248729
>>3248775
Actually so-cal. As far south as you can go, San Diego. Yup lots of resellers here. I actually know who a few are, as I see them so often (there is jewelry lady, the hipster clothing store owners, the audio equipment guy).

The mexicans leave the more expensive collectible stuff alone.
Actually they help clean out the stores. When the old stuff goes on sale they fill up carts full of crap clothes and toys, to take back to Tijuana.
>>
>>3248751
>commodore vic 20

Nice. I have been trying to stay away from collecting "computer" items, and only focusing on gaming. But I couldn't pass up this Intellivision.
Once I go down the computer collecting road there is soo much more stuff I will spend my $$ on.
>>
For a second I thought that was an Amstrad CPC and thought "What's an Amstrad doing in Burgerstan?"
>>
>>3248867
>Amstrad CPC

The keyboard drives on the right side of the console
>>
>>3248882
That's why I said "For a second". It took me a moment or two to realise what I was looking at.
>>
>>3248857
Brother you have no idea. Computer collector I know went mad, lost his 10,000 sq ft warehouse of his collection. I am currently searching for an Evans & Sutherland LDP-1, from 1971, only 6 in the world ever....
>>
>>3248857
Well theres a bunch of games for the Vic 20, thats all I personally use it for
>>
File: 1463603211980.gif (481 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1463603211980.gif
481 KB, 600x600
>>3248950
How rich are you? Can I be your dog?
>>
>>3248950
Damn

Actually my friend is going to give me "some TI computer". He's a reseller but it's broken. I am not sure what it is yet, but I want a TI-99 for my dad. Because it was the first computer we had, and I (barely) remember playing Hunt the Wumpus with him.
>>
>>3248950
>Computer collector I know went mad, lost his 10,000 sq ft warehouse of his collection.

Sounds like Sellam...It's really a shame how his vast collection wound up in the hands of a scrapper who liquidated it ALL on eBay and made a fortune. It was crazy watching those auctions.
>>
>>3249629
>his vast collection wound up in the hands of a scrapper who liquidated it ALL on eBay and made a fortune.
Have a link to spare?
>>
>>3248614
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: sellam.jpg (253 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
sellam.jpg
253 KB, 1280x960
>>3249635
Here you go: http://www.digibarn.com/friends/sellam-ismail/

Dude literally had a warehouse pack to the gills with choice vintage computer stuff, but was a bit...eccentric. I believe he got behind on his rent, and the landlord had scrappers swoop in. The scrappers got the metal value for the stuff not valuable enough, and they realized what IMSAIs and Altairs are worth so the good stuff went on their Ebay (an amazing amount-their auctions went on for months).
>>
>>3249704
Here's the details of how badly he fucked up in loosing his collection: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/comp.sys.apple2/p9YqE5d-VA8/DuQtjj0DKkIJ

The scrappers got $5000 for just ONE of his early apple II's, and $7000 for another 4 similar. Check out the links to more on that fiasco-Ismail lost tens of thousands, if not $100k, in classic computers.
>>
>>3249629
Yes, it is Sallem! OMG, small world. Frankly, I helped him move those machines and all that stuff 3 fucking times. I felt terrible he lost it (and he's back to reality now) but frankly, I'd rather it was all gone than I'd have to help carry all that shit up and down stairs and onto trucks again.

Much as I love Sallem, he never did anything with 90% of his collection.
>>
>>3249651
>>>3248614 (OP)
>What did he mean by this?
What did he meme by this
>>
>>3248980
I'm not rich, I just know how to find old ass shit with research. One of the computers I am looking for was at the CIA, for example, so I am working on trying to get ahold of them to get documentation on the programming language used on the LDS-1. Probably won't spend a dime on any of it, as I work as the front for a non-profit, and most groups donate shit to non-profits and museums with few questions, especially if it's 40 year old stuff no one uses.
>>
>>3249704
>>3249709
Sallem's real problem was he refused to form a non-profit or business. If he had, he could have written off expenses and such, but he just didn't want to play by the government's rules.
>>
File: 20160521_182952883_iOS.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160521_182952883_iOS.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Best thing I ever found at a thrift store was Tetris for $2

Oh well.
>>
>>3249903
Always check the CDs. PSX and Dreamcast games get stuffed in there all the time. PC games too.
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.