[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do most people prefer Super C to Contra?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
File: contra-box.jpg (157 KB, 640x877) Image search: [Google]
contra-box.jpg
157 KB, 640x877
With its more memorable music, far better level designs, and cooler bonus stages, Contra is clearly the definitive NES Contra game.

Also Contra Thread.
>>
>>3245215
On NES, I prefer Contra. It just feels cleaner. For arcade, Super Contra was a much better game.

But crap. it's like talking about ferrari vs lambo. I'll take either.
>>
File: 1Job.jpg (104 KB, 1200x945) Image search: [Google]
1Job.jpg
104 KB, 1200x945
>>3245215
wait. Bonus stages?
>>
>>3245215
I've never heard anyone talk about super c other than the angry video game nerd.
>>
>>3245226
Y'know, those pseudo-3D stages where you had to shoot the red lights.
>>
>>3245236
I always considered those legit stages. It's just the base assault. You lose lifes It has a boss fight even. Same as the top down stuff in Contra 3. Typically of you fail at a bonus stage in games, you just don't get any points. that's why it's a bonus stage. there's no chance to lose anything, just gain.
>>
>>3245215
>Why do most people prefer Super C to Contra?

but most people don't
>>
File: a-blz2.jpg (253 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
a-blz2.jpg
253 KB, 1200x800
>>3245215
They're practically the same game with different stages. Only differences are that the gimmicky stages are forward-scrolling in Contra and overhead in Super C, the Fire Gun doesn't suck in Super C and power-ups disappear from the screen if you don't pick them up on time in Super C.

Anyone else picking up the new Contra album coming out next month?
http://www.amusement-center.com/project/emusic/records/emca0025.html
>>
>Contra III has 981 votes
Why is Racketboy's userbase so pleb?
>>
>>3245215
>Why do most people prefer Super C to Contra?

They don't.
>>
I don't really care what other people prefer as long as it doesn't directly affect me.

Am I a bad person?
>>
>>3246068
Yes, kill yourself.
>>
I don't even think most people know Super C exists.
>>
>>3245249
>>3245304
I really like Operations C's top-down levels.
>>
>>3245304
>practically the same game with different stages

>the same game
>different stages

>same game
>different

Well, thanks for clearing that up.
>>
>>3248031
>I have zero reading comprehension.
The point is that Super C is just a glorified expansion pack for the original Contra. There's very little gameplay differences between the two.
>>
>>3248038
Lots of games are like this, homie.

We call them genres.
>>
>>3248050
Nah. Castlevania III and Super Mario 3 made tremendous changes to the gameplay of their predecessors. Super C was more like Lost Levels in that regard.
>>
>>3248071
>Castlevania III
Belmont controls exactly like he did in the first game...
>>
>>3246328
Then you didn't grow up in the nes era.
It's fine to hang with the older kids but don't say stupid things when you do.
>>
>>3248038
When you play contra that's what you should be expecting to play. Something similar with different stages. What type of fuckery is this.
>>
>>3248112
>postan on chans
>cannot into bantz

SUMMER
U
M
M
E
R
>>
>>3248083
>Belmont controls exactly like he did in the first game...
Did you somehow also miss one of the main features of the game, character switching? And the branching paths?
>>
>>3248182
>character switching?
completely optional

>branching paths?
has nothing to do with controls
>>
>>3248170
I know you want to wish
It was summer in your utopia
You there ain't no banter in saying something incorrect as a fact but on this part of the Internet we call it and you stupid. Stupid.
>>
>>3248189
>has nothing to do with controls
Gameplay is more than controls.
>>
>>3245215
On the NES version Contra has some visual problems. The bullets are pure white and blend into some of the backgrounds while in Super C they flick and are thus always visible. Contra also had some moments or even arguable entire stages that fucked with the passing. Waiting on flame throwers in Energy Zone or tediously mashing the button against spiked walls come to mine.

The alternative stages (the corridor sections/over head sections) also are better in Super C. Coordior sections have less movement, just left and right and jumping often causes as many problems as it fixes, they are also much less scenic. Come to think of it Super C had more scenic levels in just about every case. The only stages in Contra that really look awesome are the first and last stage.

It also felt like the spread shot wasn't as cheesy in Super C. Overall Super C just had a more diverse and interesting set of enemies. They would come at you from more angles. The flamethrower also got an upgrade which makes there being a descent weapon besides to the spread shot and machine gun.

An arcade difference: Contra on the arcade is extremely short. Compared to the NES version it's 2 levels shorter and you scroll the screen much faster (arguable an improvement since the two zones not in it are the ones that have all the slow tedious stuff). Effective play is really about scrolling the screen as fast as possible and zipping by enemies. Super C has a lot more road-bumps that force you to slow down and kill a few enemies rather than just wiz by them.
>>
>>3245215
I prefer Contra to Super C, but both were, unfortunately, victims of Konami's design practices at the time, in that they're designed specifically to be cheap.

To be honest, I'd rate the best Contra as Contra: Hard Corps on the Genesis, followed a half-step behind by Contra III. Hard Corps was basically a boss rush mode for the entire game with four distinct playstyles, while Contra III distilled the best elements of Contra and Super C into one package and gave them a major facelift alongside the tightest controls in a SNES game.
>>
>>3248108
But I did. Nobody ever talks about Super C. It's always Contra.

Normal people don't seem to be aware of Super C's existence.
>>
>>3248689
>Super C
>more scenic levels
Are you high? Just about every stage in that game was boring grey.
>>
>>3248689
>Compared to the NES version it's 2 levels shorter
It's actually much shorter than that, since the 3D stages were actually the latter segments of the first and second stages respectively. The third stage is entirely side-scrolling. On the NES version, they made the 3D segments their own stages and split up the different areas of the third stages into four different ones. Also, the fireball-spitting alien statue at the end of the waterfall stage was just another sensor guarded by cannons like the one at the beginning.
>>
I thought the corridor STAGES in contra 1 were great. I also fucking love the rotating stages in alien wars and everyone talks about how they suck. This is how you find the bandwagon retro gamers who downloaded a ROM and were pissed at the shitty keyboard controls for L and R.

As for OPs question he just made this argument up. I agree with people not even knowing about Super C, and anyone arguing the popularity of the arcade versions are full of shit and played them in mame then tried to imagine the popularity of them in an arcade that doesn't exist.
>>
>>3248738

NES VERSIONS
Consider that 2 of the levels in Contra are basically a series of tiles (the corridor levels). In contrast the overhead levels have far more stuff going on. The two extra NES stages are particularly awful with one being almost entirly red and one being almost entirly green.

Super C is far more detailed. Compare the upper turret in this to Contra 1, a nice ruby. Look at the level of detail in the rocks and grass. Contra 1 used very bland, simple environment paterns and in general has less detail. Extra colors are added in all sorts of places. Even the enemy projectiles are more colorful compared to bland white contra 1 bullets.

ARCADE VERSION
Super C is even better in this one with color everywhere.
>>
who knows. contra III is better than both contra and super c
>>
>>3245215
Super has better character sprites and weapon balance.
>>
I prefer the Super C to Contra because that's the only one my cousin had. We spent hours playing it but now my cousin has devolved into a mac-loving faggot that buys vidya but doesn't really play it. Looking at his PS profile he literally has 2% of achievements.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.