[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your favorite or least favorite examples of localization?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 13
File: 1460098368055[1].png (498 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
1460098368055[1].png
498 KB, 1440x1080
What are your favorite or least favorite examples of localization?
>>
Simon's Quest
Faxanadu
>>
all of them because i'm not a fucking weeb or japanese
>>
>>3245062
Least?

Persona 1. Blackfacing, whitewashing, but it nerfed the encounter rate at least.
>>
Least favorite is Vanguard Bandits. It was entirely clear that the translation team were just fucking around trying to see how many dumb jokes they could shove into the game.

I've been told that the original game was quite serious despite its light-hearted visuals, but Working Designs just shit all over it.
>>
>>3245151
>Being an anti-weeb in a niche hobby where most of the games worth playing are Japanese.
U wot m8?
>>
File: 1450461150366.gif (1 MB, 413x192) Image search: [Google]
1450461150366.gif
1 MB, 413x192
>>3245151
The lowest quality bait.

Have a (you)
>>
File: rape mission.jpg (44 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
rape mission.jpg
44 KB, 720x480
>>3245062
i rike animes
>>
>>3245182
>most of the games worth playing are Japanese

Only if you're a pathetic consolebaby.
>>
>>3245062
From what I've seen, I'm pretty happy with the translation we got for FFVI. It's not an exact 1:1 translation of the original game, but I feel like most of the spirit of the game is intact with only a few omitted parts (Such as the attempted suicide scene).

Had Kefka been directly translated to the game, I wouldn't have understood much about him as I wouldn't have known the background that a Japanese person would've had. The trick in all localizations is to evoke the same feel and emotions that the original artwork did, and FFVI seems to have done that well.
>>
>>3245062
>Favorite
Most first-party Nintendo games had better localizations than they were given credit for, even during the NES era. The fact that they were able to accurately translate the Zelda I and II manuals with very minimal changes, at a time when other companies during the NES era took many liberties with the Japanese material (like Capcom did) or just outright made up shit (pretty much every Konami localization at that point) is admirable to say the least.

>Least favorite
Any localization where they just replace Japanese script with an English script. X-Kaliber 2097 and the Rushing Beat localizations come to mind. Double Dragon III was also pretty awful with the pointless "let's pretend Cleopatra is Marion" change, yet they couldn't spell Billy's name right in the intro.
>>
>>3245327

This.

Also, Chrono Trigger, which was also translated by Woolsey.

The man is a god. Given the time/resources/restrictions he had available, literally no one could have done a better job. For technical reasons, he was forced to rewrite the scripts more or less from scratch, but still managed to capture the intended spirit of the original.

But what do you mean they omitted the suicide attempts in FF6? As far as I remember, Celes' suicide scene remains in the game completely intact (assuming you let Cid die.)
>>
>>3245327
Also, if you want a more literal translation, you can play the GBA version of FF6, or the DS version of Chrono trigger. Both follow the original Japanese script very closely. Normally I'm a translation-purity autist, but in the case of both those games, I actually like Woolsey's translations better.
>>
>>3245492
The problem with going too literal is that Japanese speaking tones and Western speaking tones are different. You can end up with shit that's technically correct but conveys the wrong connotation.

A fairly common example would be whether a character should respond "Is that so..." or "OK, I got it." The first is the more literal translation, except in English it can carry the connotation of "this guy is full of shit." The second one isn't exactly 100% literal, but it definitely conveys the spirit of the meaning of the words much better than the first one.
>>
>>3245478
>But what do you mean they omitted the suicide attempts in FF6? As far as I remember, Celes' suicide scene remains in the game completely intact (assuming you let Cid die.)

The text that accompanies Celes' suicide attempt go off on a tangent about a girl who found she could become closer to the spirits of the recently departed if she dives off a particular cliff (or some flowery shit like this.)

In actual fact, none of this is the case and Celes really is just trying to kill herself.
>>
>>3245536
No, I understand, and you're right. I actually took Japanese for a few years in college, so I understand what you're talking about as well as anyone.

What I mean by being a translation-purity autist is in the sense that you describe. Fact is, a "literal" machine translation is actually going to be very inaccurate, because it doesn't capture the original meaning at all.

That said, there's a big difference between what I would call a "proper literal" translation, which is what you are describing, versus taking excessive liberties with the translation. Woolsey did the latter, because he was forced to, for both technical and logistical reasons. But his rewritten script actually captured the original intent remarkably well, even though it was in no way a "proper" translation.
>>
I grew up with shitty translation and made not playing translations a principle.
>>
>>3245542
>become closer to the spirits

Sounds like suicide to me. At least, when I first played the game as a kid, as far as I can remember the scene was in no way ambiguous. So even as a kid, it was obvious to me that she was deliberately committing suicide. I mean, they still show her throwing herself off the cliff. Dark stuff, especially for a Nintendo game in the mid-90s.
>>
Final Fantasy 4 (released as Final Fantasy 2 in the USA) is pretty notoriously bad. (Spoony bard!)
>>
People give it shit, but Final Fantasy 7 was actually kind of a milestone in Japanese to English translation. It wasn't a rewritten script, like the kind that Woolsey produced, but rather a fairly literal translation, which was sort of a first, at least for JRPGs at the time.

It really raised the bar for translations that came after it. It had plenty of minor mistakes, and the grammar was pretty stilted in places, plus a couple of confusing and poorly chosen translations ("Sephiroth clones"), but compared to what came before it was actually pretty decent, and not unreadable even by today's standards.
>>
>>3245182
>>3245272
offended weebs
>>
>>3245650
I see. You're that Deep Silver faggot who wrote the trailer to Mighty No. 2.
>>
>>3245659
i have no idea what either of those things are

stay mad, weeb p.s. you're gay
>>
File: 1462377303397.png (437 KB, 612x612) Image search: [Google]
1462377303397.png
437 KB, 612x612
>>3245182
>Gaming
>Niche hobby

Hey gramps, you realize it's 2016, right?
>>
The French translation and dubbing of Metal Gear Solid 1. I both love it and hate it. Love it, coz Psycho Mantis is great. Hate it, coz voice acting is laughable, and translation often shitty.
>>
>>3245564
Ah, sorry, I thought you might be one of those guys who if they had their way, the game would just be a complete transliteration and they'd follow along with their Japanese-to-English dictionaries.

I think the number of people who liked Woolsey's stuff are the majority of players exposed to it - anything /vr/ says is bound to be a statistical outlier just because there's an entire board culture of elitism over trivial things, hence all these numbnuts who come out of the woodworks with their
>unironically enjoying Woolsey
bullshit.

I agree that he had the most palatable style of localization even if there are a few clunky lines that get overly singled out. You contrast it with a typical Working Designs localization and it seems like they were just trying to cram pop culture references at the expense of telling a coherent story and anyone can get behind Woolsey's stuff.

>>3245578
>as far as I can remember the scene was in no way ambiguous

Your memory fails you because the game goes out of its way to define it as a cliff dive and not a suicide attempt. I agree that it wasn't ambiguous but not in the way you think.
>>
>>3245734
>Retro gaming
>Not niche
Pick one.
>>
File: 1460862586079.png (241 KB, 520x538) Image search: [Google]
1460862586079.png
241 KB, 520x538
>>3245798
With emulation being as accessible as it is, it really isn't.
>>
>>3245478
I like CT too, but I never understood why the fuck they changed Grandleon to Masamune. It doesn't even look like a japanese sword.
>>
>>3245876
>why the fuck they changed Grandleon to Masamune

Speculation was that it was a callback for Final Fantasy fans. Otherwise, no reason.
>>
>>3245830
Being accessible doesn't really change much to be honest, emulation has been around for a very long time in at least remotely playable forms, and it's not until fairly recently that the hobby has picked up any steam. Just because somethings accessible doesn't mean someone will pick it up. Hell you can learn another language or any number of subjects online for free yet here we are shitposting away on 4chan instead of doing something productive with out time. Retro gaming will always be a niche, a fairly small niche in the grand scheme of things at that too
>>
>>3245768
>Working Designs
The problem with pop culture references is that they age really, really poorly.

>Your memory fails you

I don't think it was that. I was old enough to understand that "juice" was censored, that it was supposed to be alcohol, for example. I think I basically understood at the time that it was clearly supposed to be suicide. I mean, the game plays that sad music, and then she flings herself off the cliff!

Here's the scene, on the SNES: https://youtu.be/Ok6qjPj7O3g?t=319

I can see what you mean, they sort of tried to "censor" it, by saying that it will "perk you right up". But just like with the "juice" that characters drink in the pub, I think it's pretty obvious what's going on, even to a little kid playing the game. I'm pretty sure I cried, too
>>
>>3245295
What's the story behind FM3's character shortcomings?
>>
>>3245478
Woolsey is shit. There's an obvious reason why literall *all* of his work has been redone in re-releases and remakes. He also doesn't localize video games anymore. I wonder why.
>>
>>3246579
>There's an obvious reason why literall *all* of his work has been redone in re-releases and remakes

Yes, because of hyper-nerds like you who want damn near transliterations.
>>
>>3246579
They were adequate for that they were, given the material he was supplied with and the time constraints he had to deal with. But I feel fanboys who think Woolsey's translations are the best things ever are just blinded by nostalgia.

>>3246592
>Implying it's an either/or
You can do an accurate translation without resorting to be overly literal.
>>
>>3245542
It blatently said that they jumped off the cliff for fun when they were feeling bored and that 'it perked them right up!'.
Frankly that's a shithouse example of localisation right there.
>>
>>3246579
I'm gonna jump on the pro-Woolsey train here. The re-translations seem to lose a lot of their charm for me. Maybe it's nostalgia.

I also think Earthbound has a really solid localization. There are a lot of shitty edits due to Nintendo of America's fear of everything, but the humor and warmth of the game is handled incredibly well.
>>
>>3246706
Yeah, that's almost as bad as that one early DBZ dub when the show was in syndication that had all the killed off characters being sent to "another dimension." Or any sanitized anime dub for that matter.
>>
>>3246727
I get the feeling earthbound was a very difficult game to translate. I think they did a decent enough job on it, overall.

Yeah, there's always people who are going to show up and shit on Woolsey. Is his work objectively better than the re-translations? No. Is it worse? I don't think so. I figure people have absolutely no respect for the time/resource constraints he had to work with, plus the fact that NOA was pandering hard to christian pearl-clutching of the 90s. We were damn lucky to get the translations that we did. I'd write it off as just kids who probably weren't even alive at the time, and that's actually probably what it is. But I just don't get vicious, incoherent rage that Woolsey sometimes receives on this board.
>>
>>3246706
Come on though, that was 100% NOA censorship, not Woolsey.

And I'm pretty sure a 9 year old with down-syndrome could figure out what was actually intended in that scene.
>>
>>3246750
>plus the fact that NOA was pandering hard to christian pearl-clutching of the 90s.
Replace "christian pearl-clutching" with "easily offended prudes" and that still applies today. At this rate, Nintendo is better off just going third-party.
>>
>>3245536

I agree that some localization needs to be done, but I think the need to make things sound natural in English is the job of the editor, which I do think is a little different.

Wild Arms 2 was fucking awful about this. I've been studying Japanese for a couple years now and playing the game again was fucking jarring in how poorly edited it is.
>>
>>3245062
Chrono Trigger's English translation that changed things for no reason.

https://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Translation_Differences.html
>>
>>3245590
True.

As funny as the line is it really does fuck over the tone of the scene. Somebody just fucking DIED.
>>
File: 1461815525193.jpg (148 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1461815525193.jpg
148 KB, 1280x720
>>3246125
>actually manage to save Cid
>my friend calls me a faggot for "not getting the real one"
>>
>>3246750
>We were damn lucky to get the translations that we did.

Agreed. If I were translating the game - not that I would know how, I wouldn't have done what Woolsey did. But we could have gotten a hell of a lot worse, so I'm happy with what we got.
>>
>>3246986
They rewrote a guy to make him speak old English and he doesn't even speak it correctly. Nobody else from his time even talks that way.

Great job.
>>
>>3247009
What people don't get with the Woolsey translations - and you can search this stuff on the internet - is that he actually DID submit a more or less literal translation for FF6 and Chrono Trigger, the first time round. In fact, he submitted multiple versions of the scripts, each time getting rejected.

The reason was that space constraints on carts at the time were very restrictive, and English text by its nature tends to take up more space. In the end, he had to rewrite the scripts from scratch to fit the requirements. But he didn't just do a hack-and-slash edit, like they did with for example Sailor Moon in the 90s (which is NOTHING like it's Japanese original). He rewrote the original script from scratch because he HAD to, but he was no fool. He tried very hard to keep it in the "spirit" of the original, and I think it shows. Add in some of NOA censorship that was out of his control, to the final product, and that's what we got.

Not to mention the ridiculous time constraints he had on his projects.

Yes, people will bitch about Frog having an olde English accent that was never implied in the Japanese script. In fact, Frog's entire character was changed somewhat drastically by Woolsey (he was originally supposed to be sort of rebellious and detached - think a bit like Cloud from FF7). I'm not going to claim that his character edit was in any way an improvement, and it's true that that particular edit was kind of arbitrary and unnecessary, but honestly, it works well enough, and it's actually probably the most extreme example of any change that Woolsey made in any of his scripts. As other people have pointed out, it's really nothing compared to the butchering that other translation studios did to their localizations at the time. Given all the facts and comparisons of the 90s era, Woolsey stayed remarkably on target with his scripts, and deserves praise for it.
>>
I love translations that have the feel of, say Clyde Mandelin's Mother and Mother 3. I know he was working to make the tone fit with Earthbound but it is a very accurate translation that misses next to nothing.
Most retro vidya doesn't have this sort of quality localization though.
>>
Favorite would probably be Vagrant Story, off the top of my head.
>>
I used to find Working Designs translations hilarious, i wonder if there is someone in the entire world who had good taste for anyhting as a teenager.
>>
>>3248546
I did too, anon. Honestly, and I'm sure I'll get TONS of hate for this, Working Designs translations weren't that bad. Yes, they were localized as fuck, but so was everything at the time.

Except for the pop-culture references. They suck, and age really, really poorly. Seeing some gag about "Britney Spears" isn't funny, and just serves as a reminder of how old I am.
>>
>>3245272
You idiots need to realize that saying shit like "here's your (you)" still gives these people the attention they crave.

STOP
T
O
P
>>
File: METAL GEAR I - Reverse.jpg (102 KB, 640x900) Image search: [Google]
METAL GEAR I - Reverse.jpg
102 KB, 640x900
>Localization thread
>No mention of Konami's silly old localizations.
Spoiler alert: Vermon CaTaffy is never mentioned in the game.
>>
>>3246754
I'm not pointing fingers, just examining the end result, which is shit.
>>
>>3247373
When you put it that way, it's a fair point. Kudos to him.
>>
Nothing comes to mind, but mainly because I play everything in Japanese.
>>
My favorite is probably MGS, my least favorite is MGS2.

The first was well localised by a man who knew what the fuck he was talking about or was capable of looking up what he didn't know to add a vague sense of authenticity to the script. The second was localised by someone who was willing to meet Konami's retarded demands for meeting both the same screen count and translating everything as literally as possible because Kojima was incredibly buttflustered over the success of the original which was re-worded to appeal more to an audience who liked spy movies.

Kojima can't write for shit. Basically, he's a little kid writing fanfiction about the US military he thinks is so cool, and yet he can't even spend 2 seconds doing some actual research. It's mindblowing to me that the man is considered a good director when he's practically on par with David Cage.
>>
>>3249309
I've never played MGS, should I give it ago? They seem to be pretty well respected games.
>>
File: B0K5i.jpg (42 KB, 397x329) Image search: [Google]
B0K5i.jpg
42 KB, 397x329
>Jeremy Blaustein

Always struck me as bit of a dick.
>>
>>3249393
>Jeremy
>Jewish
>Blaustein
>Jewish

Oh, it's just a coincidence, I tell you what.
>>
>>3249309
>my least favorite is MGS2.

Oh boy here we go.

>The second was localised by someone who was willing to meet Konami's retarded demands for meeting both the same screen count and translating everything as literally as possible

AKA Agness "Mickey Finn in the morning glass of OJ" Kaku. You're not really helping your point. Scott Dolph did the right thing by warning Kojima and toning down the "localizations", MGS2 has none of the stiff dialogue silly parrots like you would have everybody believe. I didn't find anything too dissimilar from MGS1 (there are even takeover lines from there) except some less cheese balls (which are fun, but eh from a localization stand point). Really, there's NOTHING that feels overly literal in MGS2's translation, that's fiction people like to spout when they browse /v/ too much.
Did you know that the Hudson river line isn't actually from the Japanese? It was going to be foreshadowing from when Snake explained Raiden what he and Otacon they were doing in the Big Shell, as in the actual line from the Japanese is told by Hayter late in the game. The rewritten line isn't too bad even if a bit self-referential but I guess that's fine for a game such as MGS2, and I can see why it was kept, but does it clash with the rest of the script since it's far from being 10000% accurate? No it doesn't. Because as much as I have an itch with the translator as much as you would have had because she also spent some bad talk on Kojima's work, she actually did a competent job in the end. Even if some lines still departed a bit too much from the Japanese, resulting in some European localizations dropping the ball pretty hard because they couldn't figure out some context.

(1/2)
>>
>>3249309
>the success of the original which was re-worded to appeal more to an audience who liked spy movies.

If by "spy movies" you mean blockbusters. Not that I'm complaining about Blaustein's (which had very personal ties to MGS2's translator) work, Kojima even liked the American dub (and the fact Snake and Hayter had the same name) so much he put it on Integral, the inland re-release. I guess he was being frustrated by something else (you know the "French movies" line from TTS? That was from the original localization, before getting cut, to your defense that's a pretty spy moviesh line, but, you know, cheese ball), like the aftermath of the whole work.

>Kojima can't write for shit. Basically, he's a little kid writing fanfiction about the US military he thinks is so cool

The parroting continues. First of all there's nothing inherently wrong with Kojima's writing (at least before MGS4 but that's a story from another day) and you have to consider it was polished by the excellent Fukushima which also single handedly written Ghost Babel, a favorite of your beloved translators. Can you define "writing" as a term? Just to know what you're talking about, and then, can you say what you don't find to be good, and then ask yourself if it goes against the series standards? MGS1 and MGS2 (even MGS3 to an extent) had a deep heartfelt message, even if a bit naively exposed, that justifies the entire work. You focusing on the military side just proves everything flew over your head, and it's not like this is an easy thing to achieve knowing MGS's exposition.

>and yet he can't even spend 2 seconds doing some actual research

Both games had military advisors and actual SWAT members for documentation, the heck are you even talking about?

>It's mindblowing to me that the man is considered a good director when he's practically on par with David Cage.

More baseless bashing, I guess your next complaint will be "b-but we managed to avoid drowning!"
>>
>>3249387
It's a good game. Even though it has a mountain of cutscenes for its time, they actually flow a lot better than the later titles.
>>
>>3249482
He forgets that MGS is a work of fiction and it dramatizes several aspects of the military and nuclear weapons, and is ultimately a war story that is anti-war.
>>
>>3249393
Even the most patient of men will be driven to anger by raw stupidity.
>>
The Ganbare Goemon games for N64 both had fantastic localizations for their era. No censorship to my knowledge, and no "Americanization" of the characters and places. It was all extremely Japanese.

I was already a fan of games and animu but I think this game really kick-started my weeb side by making me fascinated with Japan in general, not just the games and cartoons that came out of it.
>>
>>3249475
>>3249482
Honestly dude, most of this reads like hastily typed gibberish, I can't even understand your point most of the time. I really hope you're not a native English speaker.

Run-on sentences where you use terms like "cheese balls" that don't mean anything or explain any of your points are terrible. The Hudson river line? The French movies line? I don't have a clue what you're talking about here, illuminate me.

>You focusing on the military side just proves everything flew over your head
No, it flew over your head. Why write a series about military agencies you know nothing about? Kojima is a child playing with toy tanks that he's seen in simplistic movies and then translated that to an bystander viewpoint of war and conflict.

There's nothing stopping him making a game about fictional future troops. But he doesn't want to do that, because he so desperately wants to be respected by the west as something akin to a film director for video games while peddling his childish fantasies to a far more lenient audience. But hey, I'm guessing you're one of those retards who think the series is a great work of fiction discussing deep themes like "baww nukes are bad!!" that was already done far better by a fucking giant monster movie.

>Both games had military advisors and actual SWAT members for documentation,
The vast majority of "military advisor" info came from a man who served in the fucking JDF, and barely saw anything that could be considered a battle even by the wildest stretch of the imagination, and has absolutely no business talking with any authority on the US military.
>>
>>3249519
God you sound like such a fag. Why are Americans who care too much about military shit always the most easily-triggered people?
>>
>>3249519
>reads like hastily typed gibberish

Correct, and sorry for the grammar aberrations. I didn't sleep very well.

>deep themes like "baww nukes are bad!!"

Yeah, it definitely flew over your head.

>Why write a series about military agencies you know nothing about?

What do YOU know about military agencies that Kojima didn't?

>But he doesn't want to do that, because he so desperately wants to be respected by the west

I think he cares more about the east audience, but whatever you say. Thing is he was supposed to be done by the first MGS, then REALLY done by MGS2. Anything after was done by the means of Konami's pressing and death threats. Most games from Kojima are fanfiction from stuff he really liked? Yeah, so? Everything is fanfiction from stuff we like. There are Japanese western inspired movies like there are American eastern inspired movies.

>rest of your post

I'm sorry, I thought that since you were complaining so much about stuff you supposedly knew about the games' localization, you were a legit MGS fan, but not recalling the Hudson river line which is the epitome of what you like in localizations is pretty bad imo.

>a man who served in the fucking JDF

That was MGS1. For MGS2 they actually took a trip to the states.
>>
>>3249513
I despise you.
>>
>>3249537
Explain.
>>
>>3249534
>What do YOU know about military agencies that Kojima didn't?
Not much, but certainly more than your average Jap the game was intended for, and it doesn't really matter what I know because I'm not writing a fucking game about military agencies.

>you were a legit MGS fan
So I haven't played the game in English since it came out, fucking sue me. The experience was just that awful.

>For MGS2 they actually took a trip to the states.
Which didn't mean anything. So they got Harry Gregson-Williams to do the fucking score, that's the extent of what they took out of the US trip. Motosada Mori has been the foremost "expert" on the team since MGS, and his experience is laughable.

>Anything after was done by the means of Konami's pressing and death threats
Ah, the old "Kojima was FORCED to make all these shitty games!" defense. I'm sure he's really ashamed of putting his name before, after, and during every mission in MGSV. He was offered decent money, and the 12 year old fanbase stroked his ego. That's all there really is to it.
>>
>>3249561
>and it doesn't really matter what I know

So you can't prove anything contextually wrong with military portrayal in the games. At least nothing that is actually relevant.

>The experience was just that awful.

I'm arguing against faded memories (plus parroting) from literally before the creation of this site. That's good to know.

>So they got Harry Gregson-Williams to do the fucking score

Communication with Gregson-Williams was done entirely by mail. They took a trip for documenting the Tanker innards, New York City and to get in touch with some SWAT people to help them update the soldier AI in MGS2 (and do stuff such as the clearing routines) which was not most of Motosada Mori's involvement.

>I'm sure he's really ashamed of putting his name before, after, and during every mission in MGSV.

From MGS4 the direction he took the series didn't really make sense, I accepted this by writing off those chapters as stealthy bullying tactics towards his fanbase/Konami. There are good articles about this theory on the net.
>>
In the french version of Secret of Mana, Fanha and Sheex are called Schwarzy and Rambo.
>>
>>3249579
>I accepted this by writing off those chapters as stealthy bullying tactics towards his fanbase/Konami.
I could understand this viewpoint after playing 4. I can't really picture it after playing PO and V. It's obvious the guy is still trying, he just sucks at writing and doesn't have Fukushima around to bail him out anymore.

Honestly, updates to soldier AI aren't a big deal when we're talking about writing.

>So you can't prove anything contextually wrong with military portrayal in the games. At least nothing that is actually relevant.
The games have a bunch of retarded scenes where a character like the Colonel or Otacon has to explain a basic military concept to a supersoldier like Snake because he's a stand-in for the player, and it comes across as horribly awkward. It's a really lazy writing technique that screams amateur.
>>
>>3249617
>The games have a bunch of retarded scenes where a character like the Colonel or Otacon has to explain a basic military concept to a supersoldier like Snake because he's a stand-in for the player, and it comes across as horribly awkward.

Read Tom Clancy and see what happens when you talk in nothing but military acronyms.
>>
I know nothing about translations, but the cave story fan translation sounds great, whereas the plus translation sounds weird and awkward. apparently plus has a more literal translation. i don't think it works personally. i'd rather they just licensed the fan translation
>>
>>3249309
>I read Agness Kaku's bullshit on HG101.
>>
>>3249617
>The games have a bunch of retarded scenes where a character like the Colonel or Otacon has to explain a basic military concept to a supersoldier like Snake because he's a stand-in for the player, and it comes across as horribly awkward. It's a really lazy writing technique that screams amateur.
The game was made for 14 year olds and is not an authentic portrayal of reality.
>>
>>3249393

To be fair to Jeremy look at the sort of 'reasonable' arguments people in this thread use and imagine getting that shit flung at you at a daily basis. I've always enjoyed his translations and don't mind him setting some fanboys straight now and then.

>>3249716

To be honest I've never gotten on with the 'official' translation of Cave Story, something about it just seems flat and melodramatic. Nicalis is pretty so-so in general, I didn't care much for their localization of La Mulana either with it removing all the MSX references and 'improving' the music.
>>
>>3249393
>Jeremy Blaustein

He did Symphony of the Night.

I think the dialogue is fine. What bugs me is the item descriptions. He chucked out a lot of the actual names and replaced them with whatever he wanted to. Many have Lord of the Rings references which don't exist in the original.
>>
>>3249393
Twin Perfect is full of jackasses who INSIST they are the definitive source for Silent Hill. And then tell everyone who disagrees or goes by what Jeremy or even Owaku said are idiots who don't know any better.
>>
>>3245179
That sounds like a bit of bullshit. It is true you easily see the translation wasn't one bit literal, but the character portraits are sometimes goofy, the game couldn't be all serious business like that.

Some jokes were pretty forced, though.
>>
The original Final Fantasy Tactics had insanely bad localization. The PSP remake fixed it, but introduced severe emulation issues.

Maybe one day we'll get a decent re-release.
>>
How bad is the Working Designs localization of Magic Knight Rayearth for Saturn?
>>
>>3245179
No, WD did a pretty good job on the localisation of that one.
The jokes had to be changed to fit western audiences the story is pretty much the same and they just changed the name cuz the original was dumb and I agree with that.
>>
>>3245626
VII's translation is shit. It's a good example of what happens when you literally translate lines, not to mention the grammatical errors and completely ruining characters like Barret by making him talk like a nigger.
>>
File: 1462244294269-vr.jpg (10 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1462244294269-vr.jpg
10 KB, 320x240
>>3249309
>defending Agness "shooting guns breaks your arm" Kaku
>>
>>3251245
The PS1 translation was fine aside from its poor implementation and fucked up text rendering. L I T T L E M O N E Y.

The PSP version is shit. On top of the slowdown it just reads poorly because everyone talks like they're in a community theater performance of a Shakespeare play. I guarantee no one in the Japanese version uses that overly flowery speech.
>>
File: 1444205919471.jpg (31 KB, 505x431) Image search: [Google]
1444205919471.jpg
31 KB, 505x431
How do you guys have such strong opinions on localizations.

Do you play both games and go over the lines one by one?
>>
>>3251612
I wouldn't say that the PS1 FFT's localization is "fine," but I definitely prefer it to the PSP localization. I really hate how modern Square(Enix) localizes most of their games. Nier was an exception.
>>
>>3251579
Barret is a nigger
FF7 translation is fine
>>
File: 1463818535941.gif (21 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1463818535941.gif
21 KB, 200x200
>>3251879
>How do you guys have such strong opinions on localizations.
>Do you play both games and go over the lines one by one?

The elephant in the room and reason I dismiss the kind of "criticism" present here.
>>
>>3251879
I figure they want to act like they're some sort of connoisseurs. Also they see other people doing it and parrot, as if it were normal for videogamers/anyone to care about shit like that on that type of level.
>>
>>3251879

Most of these people get their opinions second-hand.
>>
>>3251879

I don't need to to dislike stuff that was obviuosly shoved in like randomass poop jokes or whatever

There are also translations that have errors all over the place like FFTs

There are also lots of fan translations that people have played in addition to playing the original English releases to compare
>>
>>3251612
>The PS1 translation was fine aside from its poor implementation and fucked up text rendering. L I T T L E M O N E Y.

Oh hell no it's not

Some lines have more impact (animals, god, etc.) but the game is littered with mistakes (Rich, Moogri, Lune Knight, Ramia Harp) and at one point even tells you that the victory condition for the battle is something that will get you a game over
>>
>>3252079
Off course it is.
>>
>>3252271
What's Ramia's harp suppose to be? And also which mission tells you the wrong thing lel i dont remember that
>>
>>3249393
I was friends with his nephew for a while, he's kind of a dick too
>>
>>3246185
Supposedly the Amurika translation made them sound less edgey and more rated-PG. And Emma's route was half-baked because they made Alisha's route first and ran of time to play-test Emma's route.
>>
>>3252297

Lamia's Harp. I believe it's the mission with Vampire Zalbag
>>
I love WD, their contemporary pop culture jokes made sure the games can only be enjoyed by those who were around then. Fuck retro hipsters.
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.