[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The NES used a variant of the MOS 6502 as its CPU The SNES used
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: img_1807[1].jpg (624 KB, 2736x3648) Image search: [Google]
img_1807[1].jpg
624 KB, 2736x3648
The NES used a variant of the MOS 6502 as its CPU

The SNES used a variant of the WDC 65816, the 16bit successor of the MOS 6502. It has a backwards compatibility mode to act as a 6502

So were there ever any accessories that allowed the SNES to play NES games? I know there are modern adapters that allow this through system-on-a-chip tech, but was there anything back in the day? Purposefully choosing a backwards-compatible CPU seems to hint that they at least toyed with the idea of backwards compatibility
>>
No. Something like that would have been a huge deal and it was actually one selling point for Genesis albeit small
>>
>>3244154
dont listen to this guy.

Yes there are some adapters for Nes on Snes but the catch is some popular games either dont work or have graphic glitches, do a google search ive seen some on ebay for $18
>>
foound it its called Retroport its on amazon for $20
>>
>>3244187
>>3244194
lol the retroport is in the OP, it doesn't count because it's system on chip
>>
>>3244146
It was originally planned to be backwards compatible, but was dropped at some point in development.
>>
>>3244154
Why didn't seppos like the Master System? It's one of the best consoles ever made.
>>
File: 1370882286169.jpg (620 KB, 1142x1570) Image search: [Google]
1370882286169.jpg
620 KB, 1142x1570
How well does the RetroPort work? I'm very curious now.
>>
>>3244516
>How well does the RetroPort work?

It's just a small NES on a cart that uses the SNES for the power. You can even see the AV cables coming out the side.

However, it does give me an idea for hollowing out a NES cart and seeing if I can fit an Atari 2600 in it. Getting it to use the NES's power would be easy, but even then I would have no solution for the AV. I guess I'd need to read up on it.
>>
>>3244510

Because Nintendo had better marketing in the USA and Americans are notoriously prone to being easily fooled by advertising.
>>
>>3244510
pretty much this:
>>3245587

There actually weren't a whole lot of "must have" titles on the SMS either. Nintendo managed to release in the states a year earlier, and we were firmly in the grips of Mario Mania.

You could walk into a store and see a massive selection of NES titles, taking up 3 shelf sections, and the SMS would have mabey half of a shelf section.
>>
>>3244510
>Came out after we already had a popular console for a year
>Most launch games were Atari 2600-tier
>After launch it had roughly 4-5 decent games released for it by the end of '87, most of which were poor arcade ports, while NES had gotten many of the legendary titles it's known for now, like Castlevania, Zelda, Metroid, and Mega Man.
>Got some decent games for the next two years, but Nintendo's licensing policy and the larger install base on the NES meant the best games would be given to the NES cause profits
>Sega pulls plug and shoves Genesis out the door in '89

It was around for about 3 years, and didn't have nearly as many good games as the NES did. Hence, it wasn't very popular or well liked.
>>
>>3244473
It seems like Sega ran into the same issue with the Saturn. It has a 68000 as a sound processor, just like the Genesis had the SMS's Z80 in the same role, and even has a cartridge slot, but Genesis backwards compatibility seems to have been abandoned in the panic to outperform the Playstation.
>>
>>3244510
>Why didn't seppos like the Master System?

>colonial convict descendant talking shit when he's the youngest of all our progeny

Actually the Sega consoles were fairly popular here in Mother England but mostly with little kids while computer gamers were generally 14 and up.
>>
>>3245872
Seppo means American, it's short for septic tank.
>>
>>3245848
Some anon mentioned that there was talks of backwards compatibility specifically for the Sega CD, but I don't know much about that.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.