[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Final Fantasy VI get better from the beginning? I left off
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: 2014020711513142652.jpg (54 KB, 568x320) Image search: [Google]
2014020711513142652.jpg
54 KB, 568x320
Does Final Fantasy VI get better from the beginning? I left off at the part when Terra went unconscious in the caverns in the very beginning of the game & I literally cannot get used to it. This is my first time playing a Final Fantasy game.

I've played Earthbound and Pokemon before, and I really don't like the battle system because your enemies can attack you even if you're not ready.
>>
Are you playing on hardware or are you emulating it?
>>
>>3243812
If you're emulating you can apply these two patches in order to turn FFVI into a true turn-based game.

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/topic/5922-bnw-16-natb-beta/

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/topic/7613-ctb-beta/

It's for the Brave New World mod but it also works on the vanilla game.
>>
>>3243827
>>3243812
I'm emulating. But the game says that when you're in Wait mode, enemies wont attack on the menu, but they still do! It makes no sense.

Is this a long game? Because I really don't want to be playing this for like 3 months.
>>
>>3243840
>enemies wont attack on the menu, but they still do! It makes no sense.
They don't attack when you are choosing items or spells in submenu, but they will attack if you don't have opened submenus.
No, it's a
>>
>>3243850
Fuck, I'm having a stroke. It's not a very long game. If you'll complete all quests it'll take you ~60 hours. But it's not necessary and doesn't have any affect on the story.
>>
>>3243840
Right, as in enemies will not attack while you're browsing submenus like Item or Magic.

As for length, it's not much longer than 30 hours if you don't grind. If you're a completionist, it can be a good bit longer.
>>
>>3243850
>>3243868
Okay. I just finished talking to Edgar and I have no idea what to do or where to go. This is really confusing. Where should I grind? I have so many questions..
>>
>>3243874
First half of a game is pretty straightforward and you don't need to grind, just follow the story and talk to everybody. Try visiting towns nearby.
Second half is where it gets really confusing and require you to carefully listen to what people say and sometimes grind. You can use guide if you get lost.
>>
>>3243891
Alright. Im just still getting used to the battle system and such.
>>
What the hell, you can't get used to it? You literally played nothing, sheesh. You nearly did the equivalent of turning a game on to the title screen and then turned it off.
>>
If it didn't grab you from the opening scene, then you're pleb trash that should go back to /v/
>>
>>3243767
It gets better. My first FF game as well and it sounds like we had similar problems. Got used to it, progressed, and love it now. Just play more and it'll all eventually make more sense
>>
>>3243767
Whatever you do, don't try to minmax. I played it normally up until getting espers, and then trying to make everyone get the best stat increases I lost my interest.
>>
>>3243767
>>3243874
Chill man, it's not a stressful or difficult game. Just accept that you're not going to know everything straight away, we were all confused when playing FF for the first time but you'll soon see it's straightforward. No need to grind btw, there aren't any nasty difficulty spikes, in the first half anyway. By the time you need to grind you'll know exactly what you're doing.

Just enjoy the adventure. If you still aren't feeling it in a few hours maybe just move on. FFVI is celebrated mostly for the story and characters. Honestly, as much as I love it, the actual game is pretty simple and doesn't throw a whole lot of new ideas into the mix. Just use your best attacks and heal regularly in battle, thats pretty much it.
>>
>>3243998
Ugh...FFVI is one of my favourite games ever, but this really does suck. There is literally no point trying to do anything with you're party until the second half of the game because their level will just jump to a set level at different points in the early game.
>>
>>3243973
Final Fantasy games always have great intros and VI's is no different. If you don't like it already, then you probably just don't like the game.

I'm currently playing FFV and it is awesome.
>>
>>3243856
dude recruiting characters in the open world part of the game changes the entire ending
>>
>>3245534
At what point do you ever actually need to level up though

It makes the combat puzzle easier to solve and probably faster and less stressful to explore, but ignoring your character's growth will have no impact on whether or not you're capable of beating the challenges the game has to offer.

You can totally fuck the game up the ass by just using a speed raising Esper for like 5 levels too. (good thing there's only one!)
>>
>>3243998
Honestly, you don't need to worry about stats that much. Only for Sabin you might want to make sure he gets a few extra Magic points because most of his skills (surprisingly) use magic and he has very low magic stats. It's much more important to make sure you get most spells on most characters (so just remove an Esper when you learn all its spells). Stats help but are not as important as what spells you have.

>>3243874
There really aren't many popular post-NES JRPGs where you absolutely *need* to grind. If you're like me you might want to grind a few spells here and there, but you can usually just do it around the region you're currently at.

The game won't always exactly tell you specifically where to go, but usually you can either go forward or backwards. You may have to explore the world map a little bit, but you really won't have many options as to where to go until you get the airship. FF6 is fairly linear.

>>3245524
Good advice. Just relax and enjoy the game. Talk to NPCs. Wander around the world map and explore. You won't know what each spell does immediately so experiment. It's a game that gives you a lot of freedom as to how you want to build your characters, there's no 'right' way to do it. Some ways are easier than others (Edgar's tools are great early on and Ultima spam dominates the late-game, also skills like Osmose are great on characters using a lot of MP) but it's not a very difficult game alltogether.
>>
File: image.png (175 KB, 500x301) Image search: [Google]
image.png
175 KB, 500x301
>>3246920
I like you. /vr/ needs more you.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.