[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Twin Snakes is much better than the original on the Playstation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: mgstts.jpg (394 KB, 1650x1147) Image search: [Google]
mgstts.jpg
394 KB, 1650x1147
Twin Snakes is much better than the original on the Playstation X. Anyone else think so?

We can discuss it here because ports and remakes of retro games aren't against the rules.
>>
>Twin Snakes is much better than the original on the Playstation X.
bro you're gunna have to tone down your bait like 4 notches if you want even a nibble here from someone who isn't retarded
>>
>>3243763
G'day, Australia-kun!
>>
>>3243763
>Playstation X

kys
>>
>>3243763
I think MGS1 aged badly, but MGS2 mechanics plopped into a game that wasn't designed with them in mind made the game piss easy.
>>
>>3243763
I agree with you. I also think that anybody who believes Twin Snakes is over the top for the MGS series needs to take a hard, honest look at themselves in the mirror tonight and decide whether or not they really deserve to keep their 4chan gold pass
>>
I think MGS is overrated and has aged poorly.
>>
>>3243763
I don't necessarily disagree but I can see where people could have strong feelings towards one or the other. People saying The Twin Snakes is too absurd are fucking insane though. Snake doing some Matrix shit is far more believable than most of the content in the series.
>>
>>3243819
just slurping down the bait like a retard
>>
>>3243763
What does Reese Witherspoon think of Twin Snakes?

MGS1 is just hard when enemies are offscreen. But its part of the game. Its a 10/10 game.
>>
>>3244002
>bad game design is literally OK when Kojima does it!
>>
>>3244008
>off-screen enemies
>bad game design

Name one fucking alternative that doesn't hurt the whole concept of the game
>>
>>3243863
>>3243986
Context is everything. Solid Snake being more "grounded" in presentation serves as a counterpoint to the lunacy of everything else going on. Then there's shit like Otacon rolling down a hill which is just tonally out of place.

The cutscenes are the least of TTS's problems, though.
>>
>>3244025
>The cutscenes are the least of TTS's problems, though.
Explain.
>>
>worse voice direction
>worse OST
>shitty blue/green color grading
>worse localized script
>worse cutscene direction ( I don't care if idiots think it "matches" the other games better, it's still worse. Not that shit like this ever happens in the other games anyway: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf6eF-6A9XA)
>level design not built around MGS2 mechanics
It's bad
>>
>>3243763

the graphics are fucking awful compared to the original

and all the atmosphere is gone

also the whole game is one fucking color
>>
>>3244028
Not him, but imagine playing Rondo with SOTN Richter. Shadow Moses isn't designed with the MGS2 mechanics in mind, and it shows.
>>
>>3243763
It plays better but it looks really fucking sterile.

The cutscenes got even more over the top and the voice acting took a hit.
>>
>Playstation X
There's ten Playstation consoles already?
>>
>>3244080
>voice acting took a hit
who cares. you're playing a game, not watching a fucking film
>>
File: wheredoyouthinkweareboss.jpg (231 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
wheredoyouthinkweareboss.jpg
231 KB, 700x525
>>3244091
>>
>>3244063
That sounds pretty sweet actually. I'd really enjoy thaf
>>
>>3244028
Significantly worse art direction. Everything is flat and dull looking. Worse music. Completely broken gameplay. MGS2's mechanics worked in MGS2 because first-person aiming was countered by the level design's emphasis on corridors and small rooms. The claustrophobic design meant that getting an aim on a target also presented a risk of exposure. MGS1 is more open which means it's easy to pop guys in the head and move on. MGS3 (and every game after it, really) also has this issue somewhat, but it's checked a little bit since guards have better vision ranges. TTS doesn't have that, either. Even the bosses suffer from it.
>>
I enjoyed it better than the PS1 original, but I'm aware this is an unpopular opinion.

Never was too sure why people hate TS so much though, I remember the game got good reception when it came out, but years later the internet started to hate it.
>>
File: Picture 40.png (106 KB, 247x268) Image search: [Google]
Picture 40.png
106 KB, 247x268
>>3243763
>Playstation X

I approve.
>>
>>3244537
>Never was too sure why people hate TS so much though
Read the thread.
>>
>>3244609

Yeah I know about the usual complaints like the cutscenes and the MGS2 gameplay, but I never got why so much aversion, you can still play both versions, or refrain from using 1st person on TTS.
>>
>>3243778
Go to /v/
>>
>>3244664
I never understood this mentality that first-person aim ruined the game. Outside the Ocelot boss battle, which every SnakeSoup-reading twat parrots, it never really made much of a difference for me. If anything, some of the boss battles were tougher (such as the tank).
>>
>>3244008
Hasn't even played MGS1 confirmed. You don't realize you CAN see where enemies are on the soliton radar. Bait is so bad in this thread.
>>
>>3244671
It just trivializes most of the game. For a lot of boss fights it's somewhat irrelevant, though Ocelot's really was a casualty to it. The sneaking is where first-person aiming hurts the game most.

Not sure how it could make things "harder" though, since you can still use weapons without going into first-person view.

>>3244664
It's the pinnacle of needless, thoughtless, inferior remakes. It sounds worse, looks worse, and plays worse. On its own terms it isn't wholly awful, but it is pretty unbalanced.
>>
>>3244681

I don't think it plays worse (or that it looks and sounds worse, either, but that's more subjective I guess, still I can't believe some people are shitting on TTS, while MGS looks like... well, a PS1 game).

I thought the gameplay was good. I don't care about "trivialized" gameplay because either version of MGS is tirvialized to me, since I played them so much (and I first played MGS back in 1998 on PS1, and then many more times since then). I enjoy a new way to play the game, with MGS2 mechanics. I love hiding inside lockers and fooling around with the guards, it's just fun to be able to do that on MGS1.

I guess I just don't think in absolutes, most people LOVE mgs1, and HATE TTS, I think both are okay, but neither are great.
>>
>this bait thread
>idiots reply

ffs /vr/
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.