[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/vr/ please tell me of a retro video game that you are particularly
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 9
File: turrican3_poster_small.jpg (157 KB, 1024x742) Image search: [Google]
turrican3_poster_small.jpg
157 KB, 1024x742
/vr/ please tell me of a retro video game that you are particularly fond of, preferably one that is slightly niche so that I haven't played it before, probably on something like NES/SNES/Genesis etc.
>>
>>3242589
Legacy of the Wizard on NES.

5 playable characters with different skills.
Each must be used to clear the game.
non-linear progression.
One of the earliest metroidvania style games.

It's fun. Find a map.
>>
Here is some shit i personally love, some you may have played

Legend of Kage
Kinnikuman/M.U.S.C.L.E
Field Combat
Road Fighter
Circus Charlie
Millipecle
Binary Land
Front Line
Elevator Action
Pooyan
Sky Destroyer
>>
File: fieldcombat.jpg (99 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
fieldcombat.jpg
99 KB, 600x450
>>3242635
>Field Combat

This rarely gets mentioned, pretty good early Famicom game.
>>
File: 200px-Zillion_Coverart.jpg (22 KB, 200x277) Image search: [Google]
200px-Zillion_Coverart.jpg
22 KB, 200x277
I love this game a lot and I'm one of the very few diehard fans in the world. It's the fucking shit.
>>
Twinkle Tale for Genesis is a fun top down shooter in the style of Commando. You also play as a cute witch so that's a plus for me.
>>
>>3242641

No joke, I was just playing that like an hour ago!! Fun game, I want to try the arcade original now.

My recommendation to OP is Astro Robo SASA. It's such a fun physics based game for the Famicom.
>>
>>3242649

Love that game. Wish I had made a map for it years ago when I was playing it, but never had the attention span (as a 7 year old, go figure.). Just wanted to keep exploring the game.
>>
The hunt for red October is a game I've had for 23 years. I play gameboy games every night before I sleep and have played this almost every month since. It blows my mind that a) I've had it that long and b) how old I am. It's a simple gameboy game where you play as a submarine trying to escape depth charges, mines and other subs. It's based off a film of the same name is a very high difficulty level. The controls are fantastic by which I mean shitty and laggy which makes it feel like a real submarine. It's not a twitch reflex game is an action strategy game.

I highly recommend trying it on an emulator.
>>
File: 47195_front.jpg (142 KB, 640x877) Image search: [Google]
47195_front.jpg
142 KB, 640x877
Chiki Chiki Boys, arcade action adventure from Capcom, ported to the Genesis by Sega themselves. Really colorful, quickly-paced, great music, the whole package. If you like the Wonder Boy in Monster Land games, I highly recommend it.
>>
File: Zillion-SMS-TheMaze.png (151 KB, 2048x3264) Image search: [Google]
Zillion-SMS-TheMaze.png
151 KB, 2048x3264
>>3243082
Play it again. :)
>>
File: 1448920951603.jpg (45 KB, 239x396) Image search: [Google]
1448920951603.jpg
45 KB, 239x396
Have you played Popful Mail?
>>
>>3242589
Trouble Shooter.
You play as two sexy teenager girls with jet packs and machine guns.
And it also does that false ending thing Donkey Kong Country got so much praise for, but like 5 years sooner.
Great game
>>
File: 2361773-nes_guardianlegend_eu.jpg (4 MB, 1528x2100) Image search: [Google]
2361773-nes_guardianlegend_eu.jpg
4 MB, 1528x2100
>Hybrid of TLoZ exploration sans dungeons which are replaced by 1942-styled shoot em up sections, 21 of them which evens out the size of the overworld.
>A great variety in weapons, you have grenades, a light saber, a DOUBLE LIGHT SABER HOLY FUCK YOU'RE DARTH MAUL, a twin chaser weapon that shoots two balls that go and kill things and many other cool weapons, and they have upgrades! [Except the Enemy Eraser, which also has its own ammo pool instead]
>Score is relevant because it can give you a health boost at specific scores instead of just being numbers that are there.
>Even your regular shots are upgraded constantly
>Secret Arcade mode password code you get at the end of the game. Makes you play the shoot em up stages only.
>Almost no glitches at all besides a complicated exploit to make an item get counted as picked up infinitely, which surprisingly doesn't happen with upgrades and new weapons, only with the money/health pickups and aparently some password codes that teleport you to impossible-to-getout places.
>Protag is a redhead girl [dark haired in the sprite though] in a red and white leotard that can transform into a combat spaceship and also shoots aliens left and right on ground too to the point of blowing out an entire planet. Samus Aran, start eating your pants, you have competition.

The Guardian Legend is probably one of the games i dare to consider a 10/10 and i was really fucking lucky that i encountered this game in one of those famiclone 9999 games in 1 carts. But i am sure as fuck i wasn't the only one that played it, i heard this game had some cult following.
>>
>>3242607
>Legacy of the Wizard on NES.

Playing this now, very cool little title. May have to find some instructions to figure out the inventory items and some tips..

>>3243472
This does get frequent mention and is well worth it. I made the mistake of passing it off as a mediocre shooter at first before I heard that that was just the intro stage. /vr/ gives it lots of love.

>>3243452
>Trouble Shooter.
Also known as Battle Mania. The sequel is as good if not better
>>
Xexyz
>>
Didn't want to make my own thread as this kinda is very similar. Looking for a lesser known RPG, or just a personal favorite that isn't drummed up a lot. I have no console preference. Have a few days to myself so I wanted to get really invested into a game and crush it before I'm shipped off. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>3244153
SD Snatcher
>>
Cannon Fodder
General Chaos
Spankys Quest; fuck yes Spankys Quest (SNES version)
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.