[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've recently finished my second playthrough of Planescape:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: Icewind_dale_II_box_shot_211.jpg (20 KB, 289x346) Image search: [Google]
Icewind_dale_II_box_shot_211.jpg
20 KB, 289x346
I've recently finished my second playthrough of Planescape: Torment and I still have a hunger for more CRPG so I'm downloading this bad boy and will be installing it soon. Any tips for a beginner? I have heard these Icewind Dale games are combat heavy and pretty difficult. I'll admit I had a pretty hard time in my second playthrough of Torment in the later parts of the game. My constitution was shit and I was a mage going all in on intelligence, wisdom, and charisma. Those true shadows fucked my shit up. They were hard to run away from and so fast it was luck based whether I could get off a cloudkill in time to escape or get surrounded and gangraped. But I finished it. I did and now I'm ready for something new. I know absolutely nothing about these Icewind Dale games other than lots of combat and difficult. My only previous experience with the setting was reading R.A. Salvatore's books a long time ago.
>>
File: iwd_babe2.jpg (762 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
iwd_babe2.jpg
762 KB, 1600x1200
>>3239569
Maybe you should play the first one first.
Those games are nothing like Torment (you should play Mask of the Betrayer if you look for something similar). It's just combat after combat with poor designed encounters. Weird how Black Isle made so different games.

Also IWD II uses 3rd edition so the rules are different, but it's not a really good implementation.
Don't be fooled by the beginning, it looks like an actual Black Isle game, but sadly the rest it's nothing like that.
I finished both games, the first one twice, and i can't remember shit of the story or anything. Just tons of slighty boring combat. The music was amazing though.
>>
>>3239569
Convert to feminazism while wearing a hijab. Then tip your fedora. THE WAY IS MEANT TO BE PRAYED! Also enhanced is butter but non retro.
>>
>>3239778
I've played past the first bit and I'm finding it pretty dull so far. I will look up Mask of the Betrayer later if the story doesn't pick up soon. Torment may have spoiled me with how developed its world is and how much you can say to people in dialogue.
>>
>>3239836
As i told you IWD story it's irrelevant for both games. The game it's about combat, developing characters and little else.
Mask of the Betrayer feels like Torment for most part of the game. The other feels like Throne of Bhaal, and that's not really good but it's still one of the best WRPG of the last decade. Nothing of this it's actually retro though.
>>
>>3239836
You don't play Icewind Dale I & II for story, it's barely there. I liked these games, but they're played only for combat, exploration and gorgeous Jeremy Soule music.
>>
>>3239569
play IWD 1 first

I've played both 1 & 2 several times over, and everytime, the easiest way was with the standard party: cleric, fighter, rogue, wizard

In 1, make sure your thief is a fighter/thief, because you only need thief skills in a few places
but to be honest, if I played 1 again, I wouldn't have a thief at all

I'd just make a dwarf fighter (axes), an elf cleric, and a human ftr 3/wizard with three points in shortbows and 18/?? strength (for carrying capacity)
>>
>>3241349
>a human ftr 3/wizard with three points in shortbows and 18/?? strength (for carrying capacity)
may as well give him points in long bows if he has 18 strength so he can use compound bows.
>>
>>3239778
This. 3e is a false edition. Only rulesets from the 70s through summer 2000 are True.
>>
>>3242685
What?
>>
>>3241349
>and everytime, the easiest way was with the standard party: cleric, fighter, rogue, wizard
Absolutely not, IWD2 is far better handled by two Clerics or one Cleric and one Druid, a Rogue 1 Wizard X, and a Sorceror. Fighters and Rogues aren't worth the investment in 3E - Clerics and Druids dominate the Fighter in power and flexibility while a Wizard is capable of doing the only thing you want a Rogue for with a single level in it.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.