[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it just me or is this game a bit overrated? >Clunky combat,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: notagoodgame.jpg (258 KB, 800x832) Image search: [Google]
notagoodgame.jpg
258 KB, 800x832
Is it just me or is this game a bit overrated?
>Clunky combat, not allowed to just run away, it's always just a series of baby-steps until you can make your way off the screen
>Ugly graphics, everything looks the same, small interiors are basically a mess as only a small section of the wall goes invisible to show what's happening
>No quest screen of any sort, you need a guide to know where to go for even the simplest quest (case in point, whiskey bob)
>Time limit forces you to rush, which is exactly the opposite of what you want in an RPG

Seems to me that the only fans of this game are contrarian faggots and fossils wearing nostalgia goggles.
>>
I didn't even realize Fallout 2 had a time limit. I looked it up and it's something like 13 in game years. It definitely doesn't force you to rush.

I've heard Fallout 1 has a pretty bad timer but I haven't played it.
>>
I don't mind criticizing Fallout 1 or 2 but you're ruining your case.

Having to move away instead of pushing a flee button with a random chance on escaping or getting attacked isn't that bad.
There is a quest screen. It's kind of broken like many other parts of the game but it exists. Most games before that time didn't even have that much.
Fallout 2 has no practical time limit.

>fossils wearing nostalgia goggles.
On /vr/?
>>
File: 1411330583449.png (354 KB, 725x684) Image search: [Google]
1411330583449.png
354 KB, 725x684
>>3239318

Seems to me like you're just assmad that people like stuff you don't like. You don't have to call people contrarian faggots because they literally enjoy something that you don't. Chill out nigger.
>>
>>3239342
There is no time limit.
>>3239318
For its time there was nothing like it. Now we have stalker and Fallout - NV/4 but somehow they dont capture the helplessness FO1-2 had. The game is a pain in the ass on purpose and not for those with no patience.

The game does not tell you what to do to encourage exploration which can either be rewarding or fatal.
>>
>Is it just me or is this game a bit overrated?
Not just you but I don't think so.

>Clunky combat, not allowed to just run away, it's always just a series of baby-steps until you can make your way off the screen
Never bothered me but thinking about it a dedicated flee feature would probably benefit the game.

>Ugly graphics, everything looks the same, small interiors are basically a mess as only a small section of the wall goes invisible to show what's happening
The visuals are beautiful and have aged much better than most contemporaries, I love the hand-drawn aesthetic.

>No quest screen of any sort, you need a guide to know where to go for even the simplest quest (case in point, whiskey bob)
Not true, there is very much a quest screen and you should never need a guide. It's a role playing game - quests don't have to be completed, and it breaks immersion if you seek outside help. Don't think of them as 'quests' like a completionist, think of them as an organic part of the world which you can interact with in part or not at all.

>Time limit forces you to rush, which is exactly the opposite of what you want in an RPG
There's no time limit in F2, and the limit in F1 is so massive (and gets lifted a third through the game).
>>
>>3239387
>I love the hand-drawn aesthetic.
What part of Fallout is hand drawn aside from the town menus and the caricatures?
>>
>>3239415
Everything has a pencil-stroke effect with a dark, desaturated colour palette. With the exception of the ugly faux-3D sprites F2 introduced (geckos, tuxedo man, etc.) it all looks like it was drawn by hand. Compare it to the visual styles of contemporary CRPGs like Baldur's Gate or Diablo and you'll see what I mean.
>>
File: fallout1setting.png (143 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
fallout1setting.png
143 KB, 640x480
>>3239519
But Baldur's Gate has hand drawn portraits. Everything in Fallout is rendered.
>>
>>3239532
I'm not sure you understood my post.
>>
>>3239630
I don't, it doesn't look hand drawn at all.
>>
Seems to me you're a pleb
>>
>>3239532
Look up what the word "aesthetic" means you mong
>>
>>3239643
I'm not saying it's actually hand-drawn, I'm saying it (especially backgrounds and environmental objects) is coloured and textured in a way which is akin to pencil sketching in comparison to the smooth, shiny surfacing and rounded edges of many contemporary games' art styles.
>>
>>3239318
Hi, welcome to /vr/

Now fuck off back to >>>/vg/
>>
>>3239703
>shiny surfacing and rounded edges of many contemporary games' art styles.
In Diablo or BG1?
The vaults in Fallout are kind of shiny.
>>
>>3239721
>In Diablo or BG1?
Definitely. Look at it - everything's faux-3D and looks plasticky and fake. Even brick walls don't really feel like they have textures. The characters and objects don't seem to be part of the landscape, but in Fallout everything is inseparably blended into one (with the aforementioned exceptions).
>>
>>3239746
I'm not seeing any big differences.
>>
>>3239381
It has a time limit. It's just ludicrously long.
>>
>>3239748
Seriously? Compare this
http://www.oldpcgaming.net/wp-content/gallery/baldurs-gate/16_1.jpg

to this
http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/1118284665957422767/EBCEF9111B32D6710623EEA2E58ECF4954211089/

Do you honestly not see it? Because to me it's the most striking thing about Fallout's art design.
>>
I always thought the graphics go well with the theme of a dark post-apoc future. I also enjoy the animated characters chat boxes. The open-world, no-rules land of fallout was amazing. I guess you can choose to look at things you like or things you don't like.
I'm very fond of the fallout series and I'm glad they are still producing great games today.
OP, you sound like an asshole. Please leave /VR and go back to your Xbox1.
>>
>>3239318
It's a trash game, no doubt.
>>
I can't see a single flaw with the game, it hooked me since I first got it at about 12 years old. My cousin first played 1 & 2 at 20 and he had a blast as well, they're just expertly crafted games.
>>
>>3239689

Who are you even talking to in this thread?
>>
>>3239754
Even if you run out the whole 14 years, you don't lose. There really is no time limit.
>>
>>3239318
> you need a guide to know where to go for even the simplest quest (case in point, whiskey bob)
Jesus wept

>>3240087
We've come a long way when Fallout 1&2 are regarded as unplayable ancient wRPGs.
>>
>>3239318
>whiskey bob
really? it's 5 steps at most and they geckos in the area shouldnt really be an issue if you're half competent at sneaking or have Sulik
>>
>>3239381
I really really like that older RPGs like Fallout were never afraid to kick your ass hard - all these random encounters where you would meet half a dozen bandits and all you had was a hunting rifle and sawed-off with a dozen shells and you would run like hell to lose them and still end up riddled with bullets - it really felt like you were travelling 23st century irradiated american wasteland
>>
>>3240152
You can save anytime so it isn't that hard actually.
I really like when there's a combat between two groups and you can just wait and then loot the bodies without getting your hands dirty.
>>
>>3239318
You can literally get used to every one of those things. Stop being a whiny faggot.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.