[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be at bowling alley with my sister >notice they have an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5
File: arcade1.jpg (203 KB, 1000x563) Image search: [Google]
arcade1.jpg
203 KB, 1000x563
>be at bowling alley with my sister
>notice they have an arcade
>They have a sit-down racing cab
>they have a hunting game complete with rifle
>skee ball, claw machines and various other non-vidya shit
>no Galaga
>no Space Invaders
>no Donkey Kong
>not even a single pinball machine
Whatever happened to arcades where the point was to achieve the high score on a given game instead of trying to win tickets? I'd much rather have a high score on a game than to have a cheap plastic kazoo and Chinese finger trap.
>>
>>3237776
Wow, no oversized mobile games like doodle jump, angry birds, cut the rope and fruit ninja? That's all there is around except at the hipster burger place/arcade.
>>
>>3237776
profit.

the big gimmicky shit can't be replicated at home or on your phone like Dankey Kong etc.
>>
>>3237776
Went to the mall a few weeks ago and found that one of those kiddie ticket places had been gutted and replaced with a real arcade.
Feels good.
>>
File: 1456880261260.jpg (10 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1456880261260.jpg
10 KB, 184x184
>>3237776
>be at bowling alley with my sister
>with my sister

Did you give her the d?
>>
>>3237776

It's because you're at a fucking bowling alley.

Protip, if you want to play some good arcade games go find a real fucking arcade.
>>
>>3237816
People talk shit on those games but they're probably among the best-selling arcade machines in years. Basically the only new machines in a dying industry, as far as the US are concerned. I'm glad they exist even though I'm not going to play them.

Also, that giant Connect 4 thing they make is pretty neat.
>>
>>3238024
>go find a real fucking arcade

Good luck. The closest arcade to me that has a decent collection of games is at Cedar Point, and there's a $60 entrance fee to play them. Got damn I just wanna play some Virtual On
>>
>>3237816
Ohio?
>>
>>3238063
unlimited play or do you still have to feed quarters?
>>
>>3238174
Still have to feed quarters; it's inside of an amusement park. It sucks that I don't think roller coasters are that cool anymore, otherwise I'd be there all the time.
>>
>>3238078
Not him, but I'm from the Cleveland area. Are you talking about 16-bit in Lakewood?
>>
>>3238279
Yep. I actually like it there. There's hipsters there on Fridays and Saturdays, but for the most part if you get there early it's a great time.
>>
>>3238024
>It's because you're at a fucking bowling alley.
Meanwhile at my local bowling ally.
>>
>>3238561
that's an arcade, with a couple bowling lanes in the back
>>
File: bar82_01-opening_00047_WEB-V1.jpg (1 MB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
bar82_01-opening_00047_WEB-V1.jpg
1 MB, 1800x1200
>between the ages of 18 and 21 in Los Angeles
>you're a big boy now, but not really
>>
File: image.jpg (459 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
459 KB, 2048x1365
>>3239309
>>
>>3239316
Oh cool, Big Game. Those 80s Stern games are really fun.
>>
>>3238063
Virtual On is one of my favorite games ever. The console ports were shit, but the arcade version is gold.

As for OP though, relics are being kept on less places because of the bill it costs to operate them. Do you realize how,much electricity a cabinet eats in a year? How about repairs? Unless it's a MAME, you won't find many.
>>
>>3237776
The laundromat I frequent is better than that steaming shitpile.

>Some Bowling game
>Tekken 6
>Galaga/Ms.Pac Man
>Rotating pinball machine each month. Addams Family,Sporanos. This month is Pirates of carriben,.
>>
>>3237776
>Whatever happened to arcades where the point was to achieve the high score

People eventually realized that arcade games were only made like that to eat as many quarters as possible. There's very little actual value in just playing a game for the sake of getting a high score.
>>
>>3240659
What? Scoring-centered games have the highest replay value by far. You can always try to beat your personal best, as opposed to what, "see the ending and get 100% completion"? Ok, then what? It's over.
>>
>>3240687
>"see the ending and get 100% completion"? Ok, then what? It's over.

Yeah and then you move onto another game. Sure you can play PacMan every day for the rest of your life trying to get a higher score than last time. But there' no real point to it and most people would rather play many different kinds of games than just one. Arcade games are designed to kill the player as often as possible because that's how they made money. Most people now rightly see that as poor game design.
>>
>>3240697
How did you imply "play only one game"? You can play hundreds of arcade games and never be finished with them. "Move onto another game"? So video games are to be consumed and then discarded? I don't like that. Different game design is not poor.
>>
>>3238063
>Be at bowling alley with brother
>See Virtual-On master and slave cabinets
>Sit down and start playing
>Holy shit, now everyone wants to play the "cool giant robot game"
>Line starts forming
>Vs games all day
>Beat most with Apharmd with the shotty/tonfa combo
Felt good to see people interested in it. Felt better beating most of them, too. I think I lost to one of those Raiden models though.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.