[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>World begins with game's toughest stage >Forced to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8
File: DKC - Snow World.jpg (151 KB, 678x505) Image search: [Google]
DKC - Snow World.jpg
151 KB, 678x505
>World begins with game's toughest stage
>Forced to complete an additional 4 stages afterwards before given a save point
Was it too much?
>>
You can get 20 lives in minutes in Jungle Hijinx if you know how to jump-roll.
>>
>>3237516
>You can get 20 lives in minutes in Jungle Hijinx if you know how to jump-roll.
Yes, but that's aside the point. I feel the development team went too far with player expectation. Why did they stretch the save point out so far in the snow world? What was the point of doing that?
>>
File: toofar.jpg (23 KB, 460x440) Image search: [Google]
toofar.jpg
23 KB, 460x440
>>3237513
They may have gone too far in a few places.
>>
>>3237524
>They may have gone too far in a few places.
What are some of the other places?
>>
>>3237527
The industrial world right after the snow world. That first level was insane. The second one was still kind of tricky for me as a kid and then you get to a save point finally.
>>
File: Poison Pond.png (310 KB, 898x672) Image search: [Google]
Poison Pond.png
310 KB, 898x672
>That one fish at the end of Poison Pond that swims over 100 mph
>>
>>3237529
>it was kind of tricky for me as a kid
And still it is now that you're an adult. It's ok, anon. You can admit. We all have trouble playing Donkey Kong Country. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.
>>
>>3237532
It's those stupid fire barrels at the end. I would always try and have 2 guys and the Rhino so I could just take 2 hits and jump through with my guy. Now I can atleast look at the timing pattern and sometimes make it.
>>
>>3237541
>It's those stupid fire barrels at the end. I would always try and have 2 guys and the Rhino so I could just take 2 hits and jump through with my guy. Now I can atleast look at the timing pattern and sometimes make it.
I won't deny that Donkey Kong is a very rewarding action/platformer. All difficult games can be forgiven, no matter how tough they are, as long as they provide the player with a sufficient amount of checkpoints.
>>
File: latest[1].png (30 KB, 512x224) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
30 KB, 512x224
as a kid I couldn't even get past Vine Valley
>>
Genesis / nes
>cant beat this game in one sitting? Tough shit
Super nintendo
>u mean i gotta beat 5 levels before i can save my game wtf guys
>>
File: every-single-frame.gif (171 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
every-single-frame.gif
171 KB, 500x500
>>3237524
It's quite dense
>>
>donkey kong
>difficult

nintendrones are the cancer that killed video games
>>
>>3237595
A lot of NES games featured unlimited continues. Ghosts 'n Goblins, Castlevania, and Ninja Gaiden come to mind.
Plus, those games were much shorter. So starting over isn't nearly as devastating.
>>
>>3237616

Did you ever consider that maybe you're just good at videogames? why would you deny yourself that?
>>
>>3237656
>a shitposter denying himself the opportunity to shitpost
Think about what you're saying. Also, people who are good at Nintendo games don't usually act like tryhards with a bone to pick
>>
>>3237532
maybe when I was 9

maybe on some of the stupid memorization levels
>>
Try NetHack, essentially a randomized no-save RPG with permadeath. Best game I've ever played, and the sense of accomplishment when you finally triumph (after years of play) is second to none. Saves are for pussies.
>>
>>3237719
NetHack isn't even a good roguelike

Try Shiren the Wanderer
>>
>>3237741
>this is what console babbies honestly believe
>>
>>3237764
Anon you can go play your bullshit memorization fest of an unbalanced, shitty game, that you're intended to win with exploits and by peeking code all you fucking want, but nobody is ever going to believe that you don't have autism.
>>
>>3237513

Honestly I never had a problem with the ice world. Most of the game is pretty easy to me, and pretty fun. I think they didn't go far enough. Even when I was like 9 or 10 I could blow through the game in an afternoon.
>>
Yeah I remember struggling as a kid. Nowadays I can blast through it but probably because I know the game almost by heart and I got the controls down perfectly.
Still not too bad, you just get good and then when you reach the save point it feels rewarding.

Recently I got 101% completion on this game for the first time.
>>
>>3237552
>that banding
With the SNES' colour palette and the masterful use of dithering as seen on the Megadrive, this game could have looked even better. Why no dithering?
>>
>>3237994
kek says the autist in his butthurt replies of they dont agree with me i'll shame them.

kek what a loser.

shiren was a below average game that only got noticed once the translation patch came out.

so keep throwing around buzzwords because you're to casual to play anything deeper than random sword combat ronin baby ninja.

autism out over this one scrub
>>
>>3238346
>kek

do kids still use this World of Warcraft meme?
>>
>>3237513
>play DKC for a bit, rack up 15 lives
>save the game, start it up again later
>5 lives

I really wish DKC had a lives save feature.
>>
The problem with the ice world comes if you save after the first level then quit the game and return with only 5 lives. You can easily brute force the world with the lives you've accumulated up to that point and after you hit candy you can save after every level. If you're bad at the game trick is to use funky to go back to the first world and get more lives then come back.
>>
Is it bad if I just leave my SNES on overnight so I dont have to lose my lives? I started playing DKC2 on Friday and havent turned off the system since
>>
>>3238363
Yeah, especially as the life balloons were so pretty and shiny. It felt like such a "waste" when they weren't there anymore.
>>
>>3237513
>World begins with game's toughest stage
You missed the shortcut I take it?
>>
>>3238346
Anon has a girl ever invited you to touch her
>>
>>3238346
bitch do you even eat hot futa mare dicks

no you don't

because you know nothing

nobody plays nethack because it's a good game

they play it because they hate themselves
>>
>>3238076
Because dithering ONLY WORKED for systems who had lower color palette but higher resolutions that are displayed at 4:3.
>>
>>3237741
>nethack isn't good
Pfft, somebody get this hothead outta here!
>>
>>3238476

Not that guy but nigga u dumb. Literally git gud
>>
>>3237513

Snow Barrel Blast is casual filter. even without the shortcut it's difficulty is vastly exaggerated
>>
>>3239274
nethack is the warhammer 40,000 of roguelikes.

ADOM and IVAN are better
>>
>>3239296
It's possible that someone played nethack to completion and still thinks it's a terrible, awful game anon.
>>
>>3237552
So pretty.
>>
>>3237513
It's always a dreaded moment every playthrough.
>>
>>3238382
Not really if it has proper ventilation etc
>>
>>3239570

Sure it's possible. I just have a hunch that it's not this guy.
>>
>>3237513
The whole game is too easy. It could use some more challenging bits. It doesn't need to be brutally hard but it's easier than most entry level Mario games, at least to me. I'm not sure why people on Youtube struggle with it, not saying you're one of them. I would love it if they made something that was about as difficult as the first Castlevania.
>>
>>3239923
This is gonna sound straight up autism but ever since completing the first 2 Donkey Kong games on SNES I have had random dreams about extra levels and how much fun they are, like a level tucked away on the corner of the map that you can get to. I really want somebody to make some good quality hacks with extra levels that have a little more difficulty but so far the only quality hack for Donkey Kong is a boss rush mode.
>>
>>3239738
but why tho
>>
you can always just beat the boss of the world before it, go back to that world, save and then use funky flights to fly to that stage. it makes it so even if you dun goof you dont gotta fight the boss again. you will have to go into a stage and get two coins to afford to fly but that takes like 30 seconds.
>>
>>3241148
There are people who don't do that?
>>
when I was a kid I shit my pants while playing dkc

no particular reason I just didn't want to go to the bathroom
>>
>>3241148
this. when i was a kid i was dumb and instantly went to the next world and died before i could get to save but now i just go back to the same world and save there, and then fly to the next one
>>
>>3237656
honestly when i was a kid the dkc series were the only games on snes i could actually finish

mega man x, super mario world and smb 1/2/3 on all stars all kicked my ass and i gave up. i appreciate that world because i remember this and the oil drum level being a complete pain in the ass to this day
>>
>>3241081
The problem with making DKC hacks is it's pretty much impossible to make a map with the original game's aesthetic because it was all prerendered in a very stylized way.
>>
>>3241324
>>3241081
do hacks even exist at all?
>>
Anyone else thought Chimp Caverns was easier than the last two worlds?
>>
Yeah, you can tell that they ran out of either time or ideas near the end of development, probably the former. It's also the only world with no original stage archetype.
>>
>>3241451
The snow world? Or do you mean the last world? The last world is very boring and not memorable but the snow world had a lot of original ideas. The repeat bosses were a big let down though.

>>3241324
>>3241338
The only hack I have found was a boss rush mode and I found a forum talking about another that was really difficult but I couldn't get it to work. It would be nice if there was an official release and it took the same overworld maps but instead of going to the next level that you would expect from the original you went in a different direction, like into some trees or behind Cranky's house and that was a new original stage.
>>
>>3241493
http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33
>>
that stretch in dkc2 where you fight the bee boss and go through those shitty swamp levels was way worse iirc
>>
http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1336

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb9-4qLYHqk

wtf
>>
>>3241694

wow they finally finished the game? too bad the music sucks.
>>
File: unMkNgD[1].gif (1 MB, 400x212) Image search: [Google]
unMkNgD[1].gif
1 MB, 400x212
>>3237610

That looks pretty great to me. It's gonna be great.
>>
>>3241694
This file has been taken down by:

File Name: DKC4 The Kongs Return - Setup.exe (130.12 MB)

Company: Nintendo of America Inc.
>>
Yes. A save point should have came earlier
>>
>>3237530
FUCK that gay fish
>>
File: Rage-2014-Nicolas-Cage-movie-7.jpg (7 KB, 450x233) Image search: [Google]
Rage-2014-Nicolas-Cage-movie-7.jpg
7 KB, 450x233
>>3237513

people like you disgust me.
This game was piss-shit easy when i was in elementary school. Fuck off. You are what's wrong with videogames. Go play clash of clans or something on your android, you piece of shit.
>>
Was there ever a secret world in dk1? Cause I specifically remember a Bullshit level withtreetops and bees that I don't think was a normal world level. It was definitely dk1 cause I played donkey Kong through it the entire time.
>>
>>3241819
They still aren't ready with the full game according to those forum posts. They did however add a few extra levels to the earlier demo.
>>
>>3246964
There wasn't
>>
>>3241694
All this needs is some Dave Wise music (the level 2 music had audio static I could hear), maybe a bit tweaking of some of the graphics (the obviously photoshopped group images and Donkey Kong's ridiculous guitar level ending really put me off) and it's be golden.
>>
File: 1448306748731.png (424 KB, 800x498) Image search: [Google]
1448306748731.png
424 KB, 800x498
>>3237610
>That gorgeous mountain vista slowly parallaxing by in the background
>snow getting more intense
>stage turns into total white-out
>that fast piano comes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6NpliDiLTE

perfection
>>
>>3237523
To test you. Your patience, and your skill. Unfortunately, it turns me away too. I love the game, but that world is way too frustrating.
>>
>>3249196
>anything in Dong Cunt Origins
>difficult

Easiest game on the system.
>>
>>3249201
Yoshi's island and Kirby are wayyy easier
>>
>>3241148
If you go back to the world, rent a flight, reenter the world once more and only then then save, you get free flights. Funky only charges once per location.
>>
>>3249136
I don't think any other snes game gave me those kinds of ambient feels
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.