[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WHy are there no Famicom/NES emulators that have over clocking?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: mega-man-3-02[1].png (38 KB, 512x480) Image search: [Google]
mega-man-3-02[1].png
38 KB, 512x480
WHy are there no Famicom/NES emulators that have over clocking?
>>
>>3234501
Because the NES doesn't have a clock.

/thread
>>
>>3234501
>WHy are there no Famicom/NES emulators that have over clocking?

What games that have slowdown make you ask this question?
>>
>>3234517
Not op but I'm pretty sure op posted a good example.
>>
>>3234501
Build r3120 and above of FCEUX allow overclocking by adding extra scanlines to the PPU loop. This method doesn't cause audio distortion. It is found under the Timing menu and the number of added scanlines is user definable.
>>
>>3234548

download where1?
>>
>>3234575
Google it or use emugen's wiki.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzQE4pLjhg4
>>
>>3234576
>emugen's wiki.

the who's wiki?
>>
>>3234621
>>3234621
did you notice we have a sticky?
>>
>>3234621
Emulation general
>>>/vg/emugen
>>
>>3234548

shit nice dawg

why does only fecuex have it? why not nestopia?
>>
>>3234629
https://github.com/libretro/nestopia/issues/26
>>
>>3234632

Guess I'm not using nestopia anymore.
>>
>>3234501
What causes the graphical glitch above Shadow Man's portrait, anyway? I've always wondered about that.
>>
>>3234673
Just misplaced tiles I guess.
>>
>>3234632
>>3234664
That issue is on the libretro port, not nestopia itself.
>>
>>3234743

Put it on the nestopia github then.
>>
>>3234748
Same guy working on the non-libretro version.
>>
>>3234743

That guy maintains both repos and keeps them in sync.
>>
>>3234517
>What games that have slowdown make you ask this question?

Really?
>>
>>3234673
Poor scanline counting.

First thing you need to know is, an analog TV signal isn't sent all at once. The top row of pixels is sent first, then the next, and so on, until the entire frame is sent. Each horizontal row of pixels is called a "scanline".

So, you know how MM3's boss select screen has that transition where the top, middle and bottom rows of portraits scroll in from different sides of the screen? Technically that's impossible on a stock NES, because the system only has one background layer. So there's a chip inside the cartridge has a "scanline counter", which basically tells the system how many horizontal rows have been sent to the TV. By changing the X coordinate of the background before the entire frame has been sent to the TV, they could segment the screen into horizontal "parts" through careful timing. (This is also how Gemini Man's stage pulls off that parallax scrolling - it "splits" the background layer vertically, and the parts seem to move individually.)

The problem is, either their code wasn't flawless, or the scanline counter isn't, so part of a scanline is moved at the wrong time. This causes that little line of pixels on the boss menu to appear incorrectly.
>>
>>3234875
Thanks. My knowledge of how the NES displays stuff doesn't go far beyond palettes, tiles, and such.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.