[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's with all these people coming out of the woodwork
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 17
What's with all these people coming out of the woodwork recently to claim this is the best Zelda? Don't get me wrong, its a superb game, but it does nothing better than LttP at all besides having better characters. Not to mention the annoying dialog boxes that put a halt to everything if you grab an acorn or graze a rock without the bracelets equipped.
>>
Who, OP. I want names. Link some posts at least.
>>
>>3234434
Best 2d Zelda.
>>
>>3234451
>Link some posts
>>
>>3234434
Hipsters. LttP will always be the best Zelda game in general.
>>
>>3234519
Lttp is way more "hipster"
>>
>>3234434
>besides having better characters

And overworld
Exploration
Item usage
Dungeons
Music
Story

But yeah, ALttP does everything else better.
>>
i'm not even a zelda fan and i know LA is the best.
>>
>>3234434
For some people a gameboy might have been the only gameshit they had.
Back then you took what you got and appreciated it goddammit
>>3234525
>Lttp will always be more awesome
Fixed that for u
>>
File: download.jpg (14 KB, 235x214) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14 KB, 235x214
>Link to the Past or Link's Awakening DX

That's where all of you are wrong.
>>
>>3234525
In like the last 15 years of reading about games on the internet I've always seen either LttP or OOT regarded as the best Zeldas - mostly depending on whichever the person played first

If there's a hipster answer for best Zelda it's probably Majora's Mask
>>
>>3234540
>And overworld
>Exploration
>Item usage
>Dungeons

All wrong. LA is too limited by everything being locked to one grid. Not to mention a lot of the settings and whatnot are just retreads of stuff already from LttP. There's also less items to play around with and everythings a retread again except for the rocs feather and bomb arrows if that even counts.
>>
>>3234562
This is a pretty weird picture

The haircut, t-shirt and instagram filter says 2010s, but the Samsung Syncmasters and Dell GX towers says early 2000s

Really badly out of date university computer lab?
>>
>>3234554
I kinda don't understand it when people call this one their favorite. It's not bad, indeed I'd call it good, but it's far from top tier.
>>
File: SS (1).jpg (20 KB, 400x369) Image search: [Google]
SS (1).jpg
20 KB, 400x369
It's my favorite Zelda, but I prefer the original monochrome version.
>>
Because it includes a new secret dungeon (only on gameboy color)
>>
minish cap was the best zelda game
>>
>>3234570
>locked to one grid.
What do you mean?
>>
I like it better because I think it's more fun. The characters being better is part of that, but I also like roc's feather a lot. I like the music more too, though the dark world theme is always a favorite.

Personally I think Link Between Worlds is better than LttP anyway. LttP does too much handholding at the beginning, and for the conventions it started I think there are other games that did it better, ie. Ocarina of Time.
>>
>>3234873
Anons referring to how Link's Awakening has statics screens and how LttP has screen scrolling for each area.

Doesn't matter though, LA still has a more engaging overworld. The dungeon feel (aka everyone's favorite part of Zelda) actually continues into the overworld in LA (and the Oracle games).
>>
>>3234570
Personally I don't feel like the extra items in LttP are worth anything, they just come off as filler to me. I guess my view of items in Zelda is less of one that thinks it's cool to have a few ways of doing something, and more of a view that says it's pointless to waste time using them for anything more than what they're 'supposed' to do.
>>
I loved this game, but I'd easily put it in the bottom half of the series. If I've played 10 Zelda games, LA would be like... #9.

Great game and all, but I like the others far more. It surprises me that someone would say it's their favourite
>>
>>3234434
>besides having better characters
Where did you take that ludicrous idea from?
Alttp had Agahnim, Ganon, Sahasrahla, Princess Zelda and the town actually felt like a town, being a lot bigger and crowded. In LA everything feels empty, the character that gives its name to the title is absent and there's not even a proper villain. And that's not to mention the cringeworthy Mario Bros cameos everywhere.
>>
File: Zelda_ALttP_Princess_Zelda.gif (6 KB, 72x100) Image search: [Google]
Zelda_ALttP_Princess_Zelda.gif
6 KB, 72x100
>>3235270

What about the fact that every LTTP character looks like a round idiot?
>>
>>3235305
The whole game was made in a 3/4 top perspective, including the sprites.
>>
File: Smugwojak4v2.png (32 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
Smugwojak4v2.png
32 KB, 640x400
>>3234451
>Link some posts
>Link some
>Link
This pleases me
>>
>>3234525
>>3234561
>hipster best zelda
>not Zelda 2: The Adventure of Link
>>
>>3235305
>What about the fact that every LTTP character looks like a round idiot?
You mean like in every retro Zelda with that perspective, including LA?
>>
>>3234571
He was hip before it became mainstream.
>>
I can't understand any person that doesn't know that the original Zelda is the best game.

It's like you're all desperate for story bullshit that interrupts the game every 5 seconds or something. Go watch TV.
>>
>>3235270
The characters feel a lot more static in LttP though. In LA you've stuff like the moblins stealing bowwow from the town, or Tarin turning into a raccoon or Marin visiting the animal town. They seem more lively cause they're doing stuff, unlike LttP where a character usually sticks to their area outside of Saharalasha or however you spell it.
>>
>>3234610
That's kind of a random picture. But it's okay, because Siouxsie owns.
>>
>>3235242
with that logic, why even have items to equip? why not have keys that automatically activate.
>>
>>3235418

>ATTLP has story bullshit that interupts the game every five seconds

Play the game, shitlord.
>>
>>3235418

Zelda 1 is hands down the best top down Zelda

Zelda 2 is best Zelda overall.
>>
>>3236076
>shitlord
Go away tumblr
>>
>>3236091
>>3235418
The Legend of Zelda (NES) is the worst 2D Zelda aside from Zelda II, which is the worst mainline Zelda game.
>>
>>3235419
It's understandable that you don't see what the villains are doing. Hell, Ganon isn't even mentioned until after the last dungeon. But the characters do stuff in Alttp too.

Aside from Sahasrahla that you already mentioned, Zelda is rescued from her cell, taken to the church, then kidnapped again while you're out getting the Master Sword. Next she's seen on the top of the castle tower, transported to the Dark World and then you set her free on the 7th dungeon. These are a way more meaningful events than in LA where most of the characters have barely any importance to the plot (which btw isn't that good either)
>>
>>3234434
>it does nothing better than LttP
I personally think it has better music and much better dungeon design. But that's just me. Also I like the plot more, for what it's worth.
>>
>>3235270
>cringeworthy Mario Bros cameos
You're taking autism to a whole new level.
>>
>>3236318
They are cringeworthy. They take all the seriousness of the game.
>>
File: ALttP009.png (10 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
ALttP009.png
10 KB, 256x224
>>3235270
What I'd like to know is why folks bitch so much about the Mario characters in Link's Awakening, yet they always seem to forget the fact that ALttP had chain-chomps in them.
>>
>>3236347
Well that amounts to one cameo in Alttp.

Link's Awakening had chain-chomp, Yoshi, Princess Peach, and also goombas and piranha plants everywhere in the platforming sections.
>>
>>3236360
If you played the game to the finish you'd understand why. I ain't spoiling it tho.
>>
File: 1411929286779.jpg (103 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
1411929286779.jpg
103 KB, 960x720
>>3236346
>They take all the seriousness of the game.
>Zelda games
>serious
Most of them barely go beyond the usual paint by numbers "hero's journey" variation for people to take their plots seriously; hell even entries purported to have these "serious" elements (such as this game and MM) are still heavily bundled with elements associated with the aforementioned shtick which makes them come off only as above-average (at least by this series' merits) plotwise.
>>
File: image.png (230 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
image.png
230 KB, 640x360
>>3236176
>>
>>3234571
The autism is strong with this one
>>
File: siouxrob.jpg (100 KB, 331x500) Image search: [Google]
siouxrob.jpg
100 KB, 331x500
>>3235463

It was random, but also it was a monochrome pic so it kind of fit.
>>
>>3234561
This. Majoras Mask is the hipster choice. LA is the patrician choice. Link to the Past is the enlightened choice.
>>
>>3236617
And original Zelda is the true answer
>>
>>3236617

Those 3 are my favorite Zelda games, I guess I'm an enlightened patrician hipster.
>>
>>3234434
>dx

i've never really been into the 3d games and i find this to probably be the best 2d one, but it might just be nostalga talking
>>
>>3234554
i found it too easy, the rent system took a lot out of the game
>>
>>3234561
>>3236617
But someone having MM as their favorite can make sense as it was fundamentally different from other Zeldas in a lot of ways, whereas LA is pretty much a downsized LttP except for story.
>>
>>3235463
Kill yourself, faggot.
>>
>>3234434
I used to think Link's Awakening was the best 2D Zelda until I replayed it recently. It has the best setting and plot twist of the series and that's about it. I had with time forgotten all about those annoying dialog boxes, and the game was a tedious cakewalk of inane puzzles for children and easy action, just like every Zelda game from LttP forward.

Always wanted to return to Majora's Mask as well, but I feel like I probably wont like it either. I don't think I like Zelda at all anymore, except for the NES games.
>>
>>3235490
That is what all items in Zelda really are after all. Doom is the better Zelda game.
>>
>>3236662
Care to explain the unnecessary hostility against this particular person young man?
>>
The dungeons are so much better in Link's Awakening over Link to the Past.
>>
>>3236941
>The dungeons are so much better in Link's Awakening over Link to the Past
This is an unassailable truth.
>>
>>3236347
You walked a Chain Chomp in Link's Awakening just like a dog.
>>
>>3234434
LA seems like a longer adventure to me for some reason. The designers managed to get a lot of mileage out of the seemingly small formfactor the game fit in.

I like LttP a lot, but it seems, for lack of a better word, looser than LA. The bosses aren't nearly as memorable. The castle design is not very challenging. Many of the items seemed like second thoughts (Cane and cloak come to mind).

In some ways I'm heavily biased for having great memories playing through LA with my friend as a kid, and playing LttP alone. But even as an adult I find LA to be the more memorable game. The only real complaint I have against LA is the length messages that you can't skip. Otherwise TA is 9/10, whereas Lttp is more like 6/10 on my scale (6 being better than average).

Btw DX edition sux. No screen warp gltich.
>>
>>3238330
Which cane do you mean?

I found the block-making one very useful in the ice dungeon because I usually can't be arsed to figure out the crystal switch puzzle.
>>
>>3234434
>coming out of the woodwork
>recently

Fuck off with that bullshit. I've championing Link's Awakening since before you were an itch in your daddy's shorts.
>>
File: 1393737061634.jpg (22 KB, 500x558) Image search: [Google]
1393737061634.jpg
22 KB, 500x558
>>3238687
Right. Of course you were.
>>
ALttP is overrate shite. I tried replaying it recently and it was so incredibly boring, it didn't hold up at all. I had more fun replaying OoT for fuck's sake.
>>
>>3234434
This has been one of my favorite Zelda's since I played it in 1998 or whenever it came out. Pretty good game.
>>
>>3238356
>can't be arsed to figure out the crystal switch puzzle.
This doesn't make any sense. Were you also not arsed to complete a highschool education? Because that's how retarded you are if you think anything in LTTP is difficult.
>>
>>3238793
Wow, what an interesting and insightful post. I never knew there were people that liked Zelda before. Thank your for blessing this board with your supreme wisdom. Let it be etched into eternal stone that an anonymous poster on 4chan thinks Link's Awakening is a good game.
>>
>>3238701

Not him but fuck off m8, some of us are actually old enough to have been around in the 90s
>>
I barely remember this one. I know I beat it, and loved it had a jump ability (a feather?), something I wish would return to the LoZ series.
Oh and the room puzzle at the very end was retarded.
>>
>>3238828

What's got this guy so booty bothered?
>>
>>3234554

I kind of hated this game

The freedom was nice and all but it made for a shit sense of progression and forced them to design only simple, single-item puzzles for every dungeon but the last one. Final dungeon was baller though.
>>
>>3238847
Sure you are.
>>
>>3234434
It's a great game, but I don't think it's as good as ALttP in any way. The setting and tone are certainly novel, but I think the dungeons and bosses in ALttP are more satisfying, and so is exploration. I also didn't care for all the bullshit with Marin.
>>3238786
I replayed it for the first time in years a couple weeks ago and loved it.
>>
What impresses me with Links Awakening is the hardware it's running on.

The Gameboy was essentialy a shrunken NES, right? Just the fact that the programmers stomped out a game capable of giving LttP a run for its' money on a fraction the hardware should, alone, make it worthy of top honor.

Would it even be possible to port it to the NES?
>>
>>3234434
When Nintendo makes a Zelda game better than Ocarina of Time I'll let you use my ass as a sink.
>>
File: Honeyview_bgb00001.png (3 KB, 160x144) Image search: [Google]
Honeyview_bgb00001.png
3 KB, 160x144
>>3234434
I don't know if anyone is interested in this, but I mashed a couple of romhacks together for Link's Awakening DX.

The end result is a "decensored" version, with translated photo album photos, the font from the Oracle games, the ability to skip entire text box conversations by pressing the B button, and a semi-restored screen warp glitch through opening the map during a screen transition.

Download it here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/nhwi7bwmf5j47x5/

It combines these romhacks:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/612/
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/927/
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2361/
and some minor hex editing for the text skip and restored screen warp glitch (found by some dude on the jul/rustedlogic forums).

Pic Related: Used the screen warp glitch to get to the photo house as soon as I got my sword.

The screen warp is a little easier to pull off, as the map screen can be opened at any time you're not in a menu. Different timing during the screen transition changes how close the the screen edge you are on the screen you warp to. It's VERY easy to get stuck in scenery.

There may be other glitches. Hopefully someone else will like this.
>>
I like the Oracle games better. They play better and a talking tree wants your dick.
>>
>>3239350
Nice!
>>
Alright fellas, time to break out those lists.

MM > OoT > ALttP > WW > LA > TLoZ > TP > OoA > PH

Haven't played any of the other ones. I'm obviously biased towards the N64 ones since they were my first, but all the games I played were great up until Oracle of Ages.
>>
>>3239504
This. With the Oracles existing there is no way Link's Awakening can be the "best Zelda game". It takes LA's style and improves it by not having those stupid dialog boxes pop up if you dare touch specific objects without the right equipment, not having end-game inventory management be cumbersome, and not making you awkardly press all buttons to save. The only thing they don't do as well is "muh feels" and the story, but even then they do present a "traditional" Zelda story (Triforce, Ganon, princess, etc) in a clever way.

If you THINK Link's Awakening is the "best Zelda", you have to be pretty blinded by nostalgia and "feels" about the story because there are literally two readily available games that improve on it in every single aspect imaginable.
>>
>>3240212
Link's Awakening feels condensed. Kind of like an upgrade to the first game, but with some story elements (but not an open world from the start.)

The oracle games are "fluffy-er."

Like, I still think the oracle games are better but it's not hard to imagine why someone would prefer LA, because it's to the point.
>>
>>3240212
The oracles have absolutely tedious overworld design and in Ages case dungeon design as well. I played both as a kid and LA for the first time in 2012. LA is way better.
>>
>>3234561
We should compile a list of personality types and Zelda preferences.
OoT for the normies
MM for the edgelords
LttP for the contrarians
LA for the hipsters
AoL for the oldfags
Zelda 1 for nobody
What else?
>>
>>3240265
It's more like

Zelda 1 for the 80's normies
ALttP for the early 90's normies
OoT for the late 90's normies
WW for the early 2000's normie
MM for the early 2000's hipster
AoL for the late 2000's hipster
LA for the modern hipster
>>
>>3240265
Holy shit you're wrong.
>>
>>3240205
No Adventure of Link
>dropped
>>
Is the music/instrumentation of DX different than the OG gameboy version? All youtube vids with music seem to be from the DX version and it's different than I remember it.
>>
>>3240305
I plan I playing it this summer. Back in the day I only got past the first dungeon. I've heard that it gets much easier after Death Mountain though. Might use a guide to beat it since I've heard there's some absurdly convoluted puzzles in it.
>>
>>3240324
Not according to https://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Link's_Awakening/Version_Differences

Maybe the GBC has a slightly different sound chip?
>>
>>3240454
No shame in guide usage; gameplay is the big attraction.
>>
>>3240212
I've only played Seasons, but despite enjoying the more combat-heavy dungeons everything else was tedious. Things like the animal buddies and the dull parts where you have to go to Subrosia really drag the game down.
>>
>>3240265
>LttP for the contrarians
What? Along with Ocarina of Time it's the most well-regarded game in the series.
>>
I thought ALttP fizzled out a bit about halfway through the dark world.

LA seemed like it stayed pretty strong throughout the whole thing.

The oracle games might have been even better, except they ruined them with those fucking goofy animal companions
>>
>>3240454
I had the game as a kid and I hated it for a while because at some point there's a blocked door and the game doesn't really tell you how to open it to find the fifth golden leaf... after finding that out, I loved the game.
>>
File: Cane_of_Byrna.png (15 KB, 170x128) Image search: [Google]
Cane_of_Byrna.png
15 KB, 170x128
Face it: You never used this.
>>
>>3240843
Anon was talking about Adventure of Link, but hey, yeah, having to bomb the pair of eyes in the wall stumped me, too. Longer than I care to admit.
>>
File: MagicCape.png (476 KB, 640x581) Image search: [Google]
MagicCape.png
476 KB, 640x581
>>3240883
Yeah, because the cape was much cooler.
>>
File: naked_hippo_links_awakening.jpg (16 KB, 188x311) Image search: [Google]
naked_hippo_links_awakening.jpg
16 KB, 188x311
hippo tiddies
>>
>>3240808
100% agree. I did both Oracle games a few years back. LA isn't my favorite, as it is, but it is at least efficient and clean. The Oracle games had better graphics (slightly), and the password crossover shit was okay, but I hated how bloated they were. I want to go dungeon to dungeon in Zelda games. That's why I like OG, AoL, LttP, MC so much. I never find the world outside of dungeons and mechanics particularly engaging. Also a big part of why I hated PH and ST so much. And shit controls.
>>
>>3234525
Does "hipster" mean correct, as in "this guy has great taste in video games, it makes him very hip and with it. He's a real hipster."?
>>
>>3240265

AoL for the hipsters

LA for people who were kids in the early 90s
>>
>>3240950
Hipster (contemporary subculture) refers to rich trendy yuppies living in SF that buy modded gameboys to dj with.
>>
>>3240892
so what game was he talking about? The only one with gold leaves I know was LA but I don't remember eyes in a wall. In a floor, sure...
>>
File: Bane_TDKR3.jpg (49 KB, 470x706) Image search: [Google]
Bane_TDKR3.jpg
49 KB, 470x706
>>3238701
You merely adopted retro games.

I was born with them.

Molded by them.
>>
>>3234434
>recently
top kek
>>
>>3240265
What if I like all those games (even AoL) but fit none of those stereotypes?
>>
>>3241020
what game was who talking about?
>>
>>3234434
i'm not sure if it's my nostalgia but something about the overworld I prefer than the rest of the 2d zelda games
>>
Instead of making a new thread I guess I'll just ask here....is LTTP good for someone trying to get into Zelda? I've pretty much avoided any and all role playing games my whole life but I want to give it a go, is it good for a beginner who doesn't feel like having to use a walkthrough?
>>
>>3242192
Yes it's a perfect intro to the Zelda series.

You should manage just fine without a guide.
>>
>>3242192
If you're not into RPGs then Zelda might be ok for you. It doesn't have the tropes of the usual RPGs - levelling up, random encounters and such - its a more action based and fun frankly.
>>
File: Dimitri-Art.png (54 KB, 250x153) Image search: [Google]
Dimitri-Art.png
54 KB, 250x153
I think we can all agree on:
Dimitri > Ricky > Moosh
>>
>>3234434
I got fucked in that one dungeon because of the keys and got stuck. FUCK this game 15 years later I am still mad.
>>
>>3242192
Start with Zelda II.
>>
>>3242667

What dungeon? Eagle's Tower?
>>
>>3242667
I'm pretty sure you CAN'T get stuck. Not in the sense that the game can't be beaten.

You just suck and can't figure out what to do.
>>
>>3236347

And Mario is one of the portraits in Kakariko Village. You can pull the painting for some blue rupees.
>>
>>3242192

Either ALTTP or LA. Definitely don't play Oracle of Ages or Seasons first. Ages especially is heavy on puzzles; OoA's Jabu-Jabu dungeon might haves newbies tearing their hair out.
Ricky best partner, Dmitri honorable mention
>>
>>3235418
lol everyone knows Zelda 2 is the best NES game released
>>
>>3236076
You mean Zelda: A Thing To Le Past?
>>
>>3240265
Zelda 2 for the decent human beings
>>
>>3242673
Yeah that's a good way to hate Zelda for the rest of your life (it's my favorite but it's too fucking hard)
>>
>>3243761
Ricky is boring as shit as soon as you get Roc's Feather.
Dimitri is actually useful when he's your partner.
Moosh is shit.
>>
>>3237116
>>3236941
I don't see how.
>>
LA is much easier than LttP

dunno if that's a fault against it though
>>
>>3244136
Dimitri is certainly more dynamic but nothing beats punching your enemies in the face with boxing gloves

we can all agree that Moosh is shit though
>>
>>3242673
>Starting with Zelda II

Don't listen to him. It's one of my favorite NES games but if you have some difficulties with hard platformers and aren't extremely patient, just save it for later and start with alttp
>>
LA has better controls and music. Just feels more polished than LttP.
>>
>>3244136
I like Moosh. I don't like carpal tunnel syndrome though.
>>
>>3241041
This. We were the original generation of pokefags. Don't mess with us.
>>
>>3238793
>1998
It was closer to 1991 you total neo-v shitstain
>>
>>3246909
>neo-v shitstain
hey thats one of my lines
>>
Link's Awakening is fucking tedious.

WAY too much inventory management thanks to trying to cram LttP onto a two-button Gameboy, and making it more complicated with manual shield control, plus adding the stupid Roc's Feather.

Item-shaped keyholes everywhere.

Too much fucking repetetive, unskippable text. "THIS COMPASS HAS A NEW FEATURE..." JUST LIKE THE LAST 7 I FOUND!

Obnoxious dungeon design. Eagle's Tower is a fucking pain in the ass.

I honestly don't know why everyone dick gargles this game so much. It's mediocre at best.
>>
>>3247002
>plus adding the stupid Roc's Feather.

Stopped reading there, 3/10 pasta
>>
>>3247002
I'll happily admit it's nostalgia and the fact that at the time, there was nothing remotely as advanced on handheld, imagine playing No Man's Sky on your 3DS, that's similar to how it felt.

I still think it's a beautiful little game though, it has some charm that goes beyond what you get from typical modern vidya.
Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.