[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do all of these consoles come with ac adapters that range
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: IMG_20160522_075059_01.jpg (149 KB, 768x1212) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160522_075059_01.jpg
149 KB, 768x1212
Why do all of these consoles come with ac adapters that range from 9-13v when almost all of them run on 5v?
I have played around with voltages and many will work on as little as 7.5v input...or 5v to the emitter leg of a 7805 (obviously).
Why won't they run on 5v into the original adapter socket if they really run on 5v??
>>
Add ons.

Supporting carts with additional hardware.

Everthing I said is just a guess btw.
>>
>>3234078
Because they're regulated, and most 5V regulators need >5V to work.
>>
>>3234078
Could you run any console off batteries if all you need is ~5V?
>>
>>3234274
Yes. Electrons are electrons.
>>
>>3234273
So if I jumper the regulator points from collector to emitter it would run in 5v?
In the pic I am running my SNES w dkc2 on a 5v phone charger rated at 1A.
I have run this also on lipo batteries at 7.4v and one battery boosted to 5v.
The console turns on immediately when voltage is applied to the 5v emitter leg, since it bypasses the switch.
>>
Unregulated power isn't suitable for sensitive electronics, they have to run it through a regulator that keeps the power supply constant. Regulators aren't powered by magic though, they take a higher voltage and reduce it to a lower voltage and burn the rest off as heat. The power coming out of the regulator is pretty damn close to a flat line so components that are sensitive to dips in voltages are allowed to run safely.
>>
>>3234274
Of course, how do you think all those DIY portable consoles made from original hardware work?
>>
>>3234274
>all you need is ~5V
That actually depends on the console. The N64 has two different voltage outputs from its power supply brick and neither of them are 5V. Power supplies became more complex during the fifth generation and more output voltages were added.

Even before the fifth gen it wasn't uncommon to find several different voltages on old computers, sometimes you might even come across negative voltages.
>>
Because rape culture
>>
>>3234078
>>3234114
>>3234274
>>3234296
>>3234302
>>3235068
>>3235274
>>3235318
On board power regulation > some brick

9 times out of 10 anyway. Pretty much the only exception is if you're buying a high quality power supply from Cosel, Vicor, etc. Still need a power filter.

Also regulated power supplies in the 70s-90s for mass market was a dream.
>>
Op again.
I am attempting to build a portable SNES, using a mini I picked up. I'm just trying to understand how it all works, better.
I would like to take a could 3.7v lipo batteries, boost it up to 5v, and call it good... I'm guessing I'll cut the traces to the switch and lead that back to the boost circuit and regulator emitter hole on the board.
>>
>>3234078
Because the voltage will drop as power is drawn and the regulator in the console needs more than 5V.

>>3234302
If you jumper the collector to the emitter you'll make the circuit that the transistor is supposed to control always connected. This is probably not affect the voltage regular as it's located elsewhere on the board and they don't have collectors and emitters.

I know what you're tying to say but best not to start shorting things until you learn a little electronics. Bypassing the vr would power the system at whatever the input voltage is (9v-13v). This is how you build a one use smoke generator.
>>
>>3235941
See above post on portable.
Yep, totally understand not just connecting things and over juicing it. Good point to make.
>>
>>3234078
Probably a zener diode inside.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.