[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can we agree nostalgia googles besides gaming peaked around PS1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: thinking-guy.jpg (11 KB, 347x346) Image search: [Google]
thinking-guy.jpg
11 KB, 347x346
can we agree nostalgia googles besides gaming peaked around PS1 era consoles and that it's been downhill since then?

Hell, It's a shame games from the SNES and PSX era still blows away in terms of GAMEPLAY modern games.

We're talking about gameplay, not story, nor graphics, nor anything else.
>>
>>3233537
Is this in part not because we simply had tried everything even remotely obvious and established norms like what made an "action RPG" an action RPG and what made a "metroidvania" a metroidvania, etc?
>>
>>3233537
Nope.

There is no "peak" It's not like you have to play the shit when it comes out then in a month it fades to obscurity.

The good games are still good, the bad games are still bad. Theres been an influx of cinematic experiences and pandering to the really casual crowd and less emphasis on really core mechanics but there have been games that do try and go back and give a more robust gameplay experience, and prove there is still a market for it. The success of Dark Souls series pretty much proves that people are ok with a non-handholdy, kind of bullshitty game because it's fun and different.
>>
>>3233550
>games today don't suck
>proceed to give an example of a modern game that tries to be a NES dungeon crawler with modern graphics
>still accept there's a less enfasis on core gameplay and more on muh story BS
>>
>>3233559
What do you want? Theres a lot of crap out there, but theres still a market for hardcore games.

Theres stuff like bayonetta, or monster hunter that are clearly not for your average person.
>>
File: 3C6kw1baPw-8.png (11 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
3C6kw1baPw-8.png
11 KB, 300x250
>>3233537
>nostalgia goggles aside
>spouts obvious nostalgia goggling giberish
>>
>>3233559
>core gameplay
stfu and go back to /v/ with that idiocy.
>>
>>3233580
>>3233559
also
>enfasis
>>
>>3233567
games with great gameplay.
There's no a single game in history with a good story, because I read books and literature.
Most games gave shit tier graphics because I follow the CGI world and animation stuff, even blender open source movies are better than any game in terms of graphics.

In terms of music they shy away from clasical chiptune sounds with memorable melodies and replace it with boring and lame cynematic orchestral garbage that doesn't even come close to what academical music has archieve.

What do I want?
GOOD and DEEP gameplay.
It's too hard to ask?

>>3233572
my first console was zsnes when I was 20.
>>
>>3233537
>can we agree nostalgia googles besides gaming peaked around PS1 era

what did he mean by this?
>>
File: the gif.jpg (2 KB, 125x70) Image search: [Google]
the gif.jpg
2 KB, 125x70
>>3233584
>zsnes
>console
>>
Most games were shit then, most games are shit now.
>>
>>3233537
>can we agree nostalgia googles besides gaming peaked around PS1 era consoles and that it's been downhill since then?
No.

PS2 was very clearly just an ugpraded PS1. Sounds obvious, but PS1 didn't bring much to the table that wasn't improved upon drastically and consistently later. You could maybe argue for the SNES being one of the best due to it being around the last time 2D was a super mainstream triple A thing, but only in relation to that. Even then, it's been improved upon, it's just that top titles will likely almost never be 2D anymore unless that's their entire gimmick. It sounds purely like a graphical thing but it has a major impact on the gameplay of most genres.

In terms of sheer gameplay, the NES or N64 might be better than either of them (per game). Of course, PS1 and PS2 both have a massive library and lifespan so it's not completely fair to just do a 1:1 comparison. At the same time, if something was such a success that something like that happened it might not be inappropriate to ignore it.

tl;dr too subjective, depends on criteria too much.
>>
>>3233986
>At the same time, if something was such a success that something like that happened it might not be inappropriate to ignore it.
It might be inappropriate to ignore it*
>>
>>3233572
Actually, the man said nostalgia "googles"
>>
>>3233893
>missing the point
how am I going to have nostalgia shit when I started playing old games at 20, 7 years ago?
>>
But 5th Gen is Worst Gen

All that fog and crap draw distance and 15FPS
>>
>>3233537
>ps1
>not n64
Get help op
>>
>>3234364
>ps1
>era consoles
>can't read
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.