[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why were us europeans and australias so unlucky? What did we
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 9
File: pal_ntsc_tile.jpg (9 KB, 289x100) Image search: [Google]
pal_ntsc_tile.jpg
9 KB, 289x100
Why were us europeans and australias so unlucky? What did we do to Japan?
>>
>>3233439
Except games developed in PAL regeions were better looking and in higher resolution than NTSC games, you silly yank.
>>
>>3233478

But I'm a birtbong, which is why I'm asking what did we do to deserve such torture.

I'm not talking about games developed in Europe (who the fuck cares?), I'm talking about all the games that are relevant on /vr/, the japanese games.
>>
>>3233492
What about all those amazing Amigar games that we created like this belt scroller?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRGIww533Y4
>>
>>3233494

dunno, would rather play literally any japanese-made belt scroller, that looks really bad desu sempai famicon
>>
>>3233498
You sound like a weebo.
>>
>>3233517

A what?

Anyway, fuck off, you don't seem to be knowledgeable on the matter, you seem to enjoy shitty 50hz PAL.

Anyone who is actually knowledgeable can tell me what did we did to deserve such torture? Was it because our ancestors were assholes to other countries and regions?
>>
>>3233526
You also sound like a falseflagging Americuck.
>>
>>3233529

And you seem like a paranoid schizophrenic mentally ill person.

Just fuck off, I'm asking a legit question here and you're being obnoxious.
>>
>>3233478
50Hz
>>
>>3233568
PAL60
>>
>>3233568

That's what I'm talking about.

Why?

Why did the rest of the world get better signals, even fucking BRAZIL and other latin american countries got multinorm TVs that let them use both shitty PAL but also superior 60hz NTSC, but none of that in Europe and Australia.
Why did we deserve this punishment?
>>
>>3233571
>altering original hardware

A piece of history raped.

Also

>implying PAL60 mods existed in the 80s and 90s
>>
File: crying-baby.jpg (6 KB, 232x169) Image search: [Google]
crying-baby.jpg
6 KB, 232x169
>>3233439
>Why were us europeans and australias so unlucky?
>What did we do to Japan?
>Why?
>Why did we deserve this punishment?

Poor baby
>>
File: logan 4.gif (668 KB, 274x192) Image search: [Google]
logan 4.gif
668 KB, 274x192
US occupation of Japan during the period NTSC was being developed.

Also, Europe did have multistandard displays. Unlike the US.
>>
File: image.jpg (80 KB, 728x716) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
80 KB, 728x716
>he didn't mod his gaming consoles in the '90s to get the benefits of both 60hz and PAL's richer colours
>>
File: slut.png (20 KB, 218x200) Image search: [Google]
slut.png
20 KB, 218x200
>>3233589
Hey sperg, enjoyed how your thread got deleted?
>>
>>3233589
>make NTSC vs PAL thread
>Australia-kun posts in it

like clockwork, it's so easy to lure this autist
>>
>>3233595

The first 4 or so replies are from him other than OP.
>>
>>3233598
Na, that was some other bloke
>>
>>3233613

Nah.

Why do you always try to defend yourself when people call you out Australia?

Did you forget that some people here can actually track your posts?
>>
>>3233614
You're just bluffing, mate, there's no way you can track my posts, come on now
>>
>>3233571
Sorry, no such thing. You played bastardized versions of games as a child. PAL games are objectively worse. Forever.
>>
PAL games had higher refresh rate, which effectively increased the speed of the game since the games for PAL were hardcoded to matchup to the higher rate.
>>
>>3233618

Just be careful. /v/ has doxed /v/ shitposters like Quentin and Manlytears.
You're not nearly as big shitposter as those were, only /vr/ knows about you, but you don't want bigger boards to know about you.

4chan is not as anonymous as you think it is.
>>
>>3233439
>What did we do to Japan?
You didn't nuke them into submission, you cucks.
>>
File: uwotm8.jpg (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
uwotm8.jpg
6 KB, 200x200
>>3233624
>50hz
>higher refresh rate
>>
>>3233629
Got them mixed up. NTSC was faster.
>>
>>3233624
Uh...
>>
>>3233627
Now you just sound like an edgy /b/tard teenager. Why don't you get off /vr/, we don't need dumb millennials on here.
>>
>>3233651

What about my post was edgy? I just told you that you don't want /v/ to know about you.

Many /vr/ folk have your IP but nobody here is going to waste time doxing you because you aren't worth it, but actual teenagers on /v/ might invest time into it.
>>
>>3233651

You sound like a frustrated baby-boomer.
>>
File: QualityThread.jpg (12 KB, 324x86) Image search: [Google]
QualityThread.jpg
12 KB, 324x86
>>
>>3233517
>>3233529
>>3233651

>you sound like

does everything "sounds like" some boogeyman to you? Do you hear voices inside your head?
>>
>>3233656
The fuck? Was not aware IP's were accessible to anyone who wasn't a mod. And won't that just give you a general idea of where they are or who their internet provider is?
>>
>>3233737
He's BSing.
>>
>>3233620
>no such thing.
As PAL60? Why would you say something so obviously false?
>>
>>3233742

Maybe he means that nobody bothered to mod their systems back in the 80s/90s. Most people weren't aware about the difference. And those who did, I guess they imported japanese/US systems.

Console mods started as a DYI thing thanks to the internet in the 2000s, when people started to see video comparisons of NTSC and PAL game footage.
>>
>>3233765

I'm not an american, I'm from Portugal. I had a Mega Drive and all my friends had Mega Drives and nobody knew about the 50hz shenanigans, neither did the adults who worked at the game store. They knew how to modchip PlayStations to read bootlegs, but nobody was aware about the 50hz thing back in the 90s.

Maybe 1 or 2 basement dwellers did, but it was not something common even within gaming circles.

The whole DYI scene started with the internet for retrogaming.
>>
>>3233765
Ban this stupid fucker.
>>
>>3233756
>Maybe he means that nobody bothered to mod their systems back in the 80s/90s

Get the fuck off it. Many import Saturn games like Marvel Super Heroes vs Street Fighter are literally unplayable in 50hz due to glitches.

People were modding their Saturn consoles in the 90s to 60hz for this and other reasons.

Guess what? A PAL Saturn modded to 60hz actually outputs PAL60 not NTSC.
>>
>>3233864
>People were modding their Saturn consoles in the 90s to 60hz for this and other reasons.

I barely knew anyone who had a Saturn, let alone people who would import the japanese games that required japanese RAM carts.

Also, that's more like late 90s, I was talking about Mega Drive.

Anyway as I said, I don't say nobody ever did, but those who did were 1 or 2 basement dwellers that must be like 40 year old now. Then again I wouldn't be surprised they'd be posting on /vr/.
99% of people didn't knew about 50hz shenanigans in the 90s and played their PAL consoles happily. The realization came in the 2000s thanks to youtube and internet video game forums.
>>
>>3233874
>The realization came in the 2000s thanks to youtube and internet video game forums.

So I guess magazines like CVG constantly complaining about PAL slowdown of arcade ports never happened.

People played arcade machines and when they bought PAL console ports immediately knew it was slower. Best example is Children of the Atom.
>>
>>3233881
Leave him alone. He's one of those new-generation retards who refuses to learn anything unless it's shoved down his throat by some Internet celebrity. He actually thinks everyone in the 90's was an ignorant moron just because he was.
>>
>before internet everyone was oblivious
People who read video game mags ( not Club Nintendo) knew about 50/60hz. There were instructions how to mod a MD/SNES beside other things. Those who don`t want or couldn`t solder a switch, send it to a specialized shop who would do the job for them.
>>
>>3233881

>CVG

Sorry, I don't know that magazine.

I don't doubt the knowledge was there, I probably didn't care and honestly I just thought the different speed on fighting games was because of hardware limitation and not the PAL norm, talking about Mega Drive ports of Street Fighter II and other fighting games, not Saturn, again I didn't know many people with Saturn, and those who did could play japanese games because modchip and bootleg games, but no 60hz mod.
>>
>>3233891

Any scans of 90s magazines about 50/60hz mod?
>>
>>3233891

Club Nintendo magazines in Mexico actually had cool articles about tech stuff like assembler, and I remember reading an article on encoding systems and comparisons between PAL and NTSC.
>>
>>3233905

Yeah but did they have console mode guides? I legit don't remember anything like that in vidya magazines back then, and I read a lot of them.
>>
>>3233925

Not that I remember, but then again in mexico we have 60hz, we don't need mods

Still I doubt vidya magazines would make mod guides in the 90s. I'd be interested on seeing scans too if that's true
>>
>>3233894
I don`t have my mags anymore, but modding a MD model 1 is very easy. I ordered a kit with some presoldered wires for a SNES and it wasn`t really hard and I am not a pro. I remember setting a pal neogeo cd to 60hz by disconnecting some lane (which was also in some mag). A friend even build a jamma adapter from some article.
>>
Because when Europe picked PAL, home video games weren't a thing and PAL was the better system for TV where things don't usually don't run with 60 fps.
>>
>>3233941

If you did that in the 90s, props. How old are you?
But again, none of my friends even knew about 60hz, and neither did the guys at the many video game stores I was a regular in. Mods existed to play backup discs, not for 60hz, it was unheard of for me, and I was a real video game junkie when I was 12-14, I would go every weekend and spend the whole day at various vidya stores checking out the new systems and talking to the store employees about future releases and other stuff, I was "in the know" and always got the new hot shit for Mega and then for PS1 (which I bought modchipped and could play backup discs for very cheap, I had over 100 games by 2001). Despite that, nobody ever talked about 60hz.
>>
>>3233952
>me and my small circle of retarded teenagers didn't know something so it's impossible anybody knew!
Classic moron logic.
>>
>>3233956

What's with the hostility?
Also, it wasn't just my group of friends, it was also the many people I'd meet at the arcade centers or the video game stores I visited. I talked to quite a lot of people about games back then, and also read magazines. The whole 60hz thing wasn't common speak, as was the modchip for example.

Still, you seem angry for no reason, I wasn't attacking you, just asking questions because maybe you have a different perspective of that era being older, as I said I was barely a teenager. But I was more into games then than I'm now (more free time).
>>
>>3233894

I'd be interested on seeing scans of that as well, I don't really believe it.
I'm a brit and I've read CVG all my childhood and adolescence and I don't remember such thing there.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXGAzruMkSg

>tfw this was my childhood
>>
>>3233961
that other comment >>3233956 wasn`t me by the way
>>
>>3233439
I guess I'll ask here

I'm using an NTSC SNES on a PAL CRT TV I just picked up for free. I know about the different voltage/frequency outputs between NTSC and the PAL region. I can display games in colour, but the screen flickering is really noticeable, and it's like a constant flashing. Is there any way to fix this?

The step down converter I'm using for the SNES is 50Hz so is that the problem? Could it be the composite cable? The mode the TV is in (I don't currently have a remote or access to the settings). I'm just trying to find where the problem is happening but I don't really know much about this kind of tech
>>
>>3233478
>you silly yank.
>>us europeans...
>>
>>3233967
I'm a PAL fag and, having played Sonic on emulators, even to me that video seems achingly slow. It's embarrassing.
>>
>>3233494
It's a really nice shit em' up.
>>
>>3234073
>step down converter .. is 50 Hz
no, the SNES only uses DC anyway. You could just find yourself another AC-DC adapter and you wouldn't even need to use a stepdown.
>>
>>3234314
My PAL SNES' power supply outputs 9VAC.
>>
>>3234314
>find yourself another AC-DC adapter and you wouldn't even need to use a stepdown

But a different AC adapter still wouldn't solve the flickering problem would it?
>>
>>3233579
brazilian tv signal was PAL-M and it was 60Hz
>>
>>3234361

Latin America had much better luck than britbongs. You also got multinorm TVs. Europe was stuck with 50hz.
>>
>>3234073
Sounds like the telly is rooted. How's it go for other stuff?
>Could it be the composite cable?
Could be that too.
>>
>>3236798
I only picked it up a few days ago. Haven't got a composite cable for PS3 or anything else, so I can't test if it's simply the TV.

I'm pretty sure it's the cable or the console though. I hooked the same SNES up to my HDTV and while there was no flickering, the signal is still noisy. It's hard to describe, I'll upload some webms/pics later if this thread is still alive
>>
>>3233492
So, troll or idiot?
>>
>>3234578
>You also got multinorm TVs. Europe was stuck with 50hz.

This is what yanks actually believe.
>>
>>3233967
Unlucky. Fortunately I was late to the mega drive and by then they were selling the updated Sonic 1 with the PAL speed (partially?) fixed. Same thing happened with Streets of Rage 3. First release was intended for 60Hz and was horrible. Second release was PAL optimised.
>>
>>3234073
What kind of flickering? Many CRTs made in the late 90s were designed for 100Hz. When fed a 60Hz signal they display at 60 and NOT 120Hz so you've got a high refresh tube now doing 60 and you just have this constant flickering at the edge of your vision.

Or is it ACTUALLY flashing like there's a chroma decoding issue where the TV is having trouble determining what the input colour format is? That could happen if you were using a PAL format composite cable on your NTSC snes (The PAL cables had a capacitor and resistor to fix the levels). A later CRT will try to correct for the level differences giving you the impression it's working, but it's rarely a good result. I tried using an NTSC svideo cable on a PAL N64. It "worked" so long as I used a Dell monitor, but I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
File: 1463075746101.gif (98 KB, 195x195) Image search: [Google]
1463075746101.gif
98 KB, 195x195
>>3237141
he's not pretending, OP REALLY IS a RETARD
>>
>>3237504
It says its a 50hz crt on the back. I'll post a video of it soon cause like I said it's hard to describe
>>
>>3237504
https://youtu.be/HMTZsT-DmqA

You can see it pretty clearly here
>>
>>3233439

Japan is just a mean old bastard, even to us Americans.
>>
>>3233494

>belt scroller

Opinion discarded.
>>
>>3237163

>this is what asutralia-kun actually believes

your brain works at 50hz
>>
>>3237675
that looks fucked up m8
>>
>>3237686
>>3233439
Display standards were decides in the 30s and 40s. For most countries anyway.

Most of the best revisions are NTSC U since they came out later and had bugs fixes over NTSC J.

PAL is just a clusterfuck of shit standards. From 50hz to scart.
>>
>>3237697
>it's another scart hate episode on /vr/
My Megadrive and later ps1 looked great through RGB scart back then.
>>
>>3237739
It's a shit plug that was used by one region. Almost nothing used RGB anyway.
>>
File: vga.jpg (2 MB, 2400x1720) Image search: [Google]
vga.jpg
2 MB, 2400x1720
>>3237743
>Almost nothing used RGB anyway.
>>
>>3237757
>vga
>scart
Wow like totally the same application!
>>
>>3237743
DVD players, VHS/DVD combos and later cable TV boxes in my house used SCART plugs.
Consoles used RGB and one DVD player our family had could be switched to RGB in settings. There are probably more examples of course.

>shit plug
JP21 uses same plug though, just different wiring.
>>
>>3237760
still uses RGB
>moving the goal posts
>>
>>3237763
>DVDs
You're an idiot if you're not using component.
>VHS
>RGB
Well confirmed that you're an idiot

>Consoles used RGB
Not all consoles. Few in fact.

>JP21 uses same plug though, just different wiring.
JP-21 is a completely different cable. Like saying anything with a HD15 connector is VGA.
>>
I only use DisplayPort 1.3/4 or HDMI 2.0. Yall are losers with loose buttholes.
>>
>>3237773
One is for RGB H/V Ground
The other is Mono audio, Left channel audio, Right channel audio, Composite Video, RGB, The bullshit needed for SCART TVs, Power lines, Grounds.

Completely different applications.
>>
>>3237695
I really hope it's the cable and not the console, although they're both old as fuck
>>
>>3237781
>Not all consoles. Few in fact.
Growing up I had Megadrive, Dreamcast, PS1. All of them were hooked through RGB scart cables.
>JP-21 is a completely different cable.
Of course it is. But it uses same plug, and you talked about plug here >>3237743

As for component - What about SD CRTs that only have composite and RGB SCART inputs? And RF. Both CRTs I had in my room were equipped with these inputs, I still use one.
>>
>>3237884
>What about SD CRTs that only have composite and RGB SCART inputs?
3rd world tvs matter very little to me.

>Of course it is. But it uses same plug, and you talked about plug here
Same connector. Different cable. SCART as a plug is shit. JP-21 is ok. Still not as good as just using RCA or BNC.
>>
you retarded babbys should get another hobby. maybe something outside
>>
>>3237697

What I was getting at mostly is them making fucking awesome ass games, and then not releasing them in Europe or America, even when they probably would have sold well.
>>
>>3237948
Games cost a lot of money to make. Lot of companies just played it safe.
>>
>>3237902
>3rd world tvs matter very little to me.
Sony Trinitrons are 3rd world TVs now?
I had all these consoles and TV with SCART input. I got my first TV with component inputs only when PS2 was out.
But before that, I used rgb scart. And it looked much better than other available alternatives back then. Now times are different and we can compare all tech from all regions, which is great.
>very little to me
You seem self-centered and somewhat stuck up.
>Same connector. Different cable
You mentioned connector first.
>>
>>3237975
>Sony Trinitrons are 3rd world TVs now?
Does it run at eyebleeding 50hz?
220v bullshit mains?

>You mentioned connector first.
It's the main difference between SCART and JP-21. One is a bunch of bullshit going through plug and is "hot". The other is wired just for sound and RGB S.
Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.