[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we talk about classic Warcraft lore? The movie is going to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2
File: warcraft-movie-medivh-675.jpg (64 KB, 675x380) Image search: [Google]
warcraft-movie-medivh-675.jpg
64 KB, 675x380
Can we talk about classic Warcraft lore? The movie is going to fail isn't it? I mean full blown flop.

As someone who'd first "real" PC game was Warcraft 2 and played that game everyday after school as soon as I saw that Medivh is suppose to be in his 20's in the movie and then heard the dubstep and comedy quips I lost any interest in seeing it.
>>
>He still doesn't assume video game movies will be shit
There was a brief sweet spot there in the mid 2000s but that was it.
>>
>>3232745
Doom?
>>
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 277x395) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 277x395
>>3233112

I'm surprised how roundly the Doom movie was panned, it has fuck all to do with Doom but as an Aliens pastiche it's extremely entertaining flick with some great camp performances.

>needing anybody else but soldiers
>2005
>>
>>3232745
Prince of Persia is an okay-to-decent movie, thus securing its spot as the greatest video game movie made yet.
>>
>>3232739
That movie is going to be trash.
>Blizzard finally makes a movie
>Games have been slipping recently, but their CG is still amazing!
>Real actors

Why

But yeah. Warcraft Lore was great up until WoW. It was even decent up until Burning Crusade. It's been in the toilet ever since.
>>
>>3232745
>>3233112
Silent Hill was pretty damn solid.
>>
>>3232745
I really like Max Payne. I know it's widely reviled but I think it nailed the look. The cinematography is nice, the sets are cool. It just doesn't really work when you put it all together. It's got enough going that I enjoy watching it.
>>
>>3232739
Blizzard went down hill after the activision merger.
>>
>>3233135
Burning Crusade really fucked up with the Naaru and Draenei shit.

They made up the Draenei last minute to replace the Pandaren and it really shows. Good Demons? What the fuck.
>>
>>3233117
>I'm surprised how roundly the Doom movie was panned, it has fuck all to do with Doom
that's the reason it was panned.
Doom 3 was an entertaining little shooter as well, but it got ripped to pieces because it was not Doom. You do not attach a famous big name that people have a lot of associations with to something unrelated. It'll only end in tears
>>
>>3233185
No, no it wasn't. The only thing the movie had going for it was Sean Bean.
>>3233250
This, this, this. I skipped Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. I've heard I missed nothing and I read the story for Starcraft 2 and how the game ended. I'm so glad I missed it, I would have smashed something. Starcraft 1 was a rather deep story and Starcraft 2 reads like a fanfic.
>>
I always pity the actors who get caught to partake in videogame adaptions.

Poor Bob Hoskins.
>>
>>3234694
why do they always go wrong?
>>
>>3234706
I just don't know.

Probably a mix of

>We have to stay true to the source material

and

>If we do that only a handful of nerds will watch the movie, we must aim for a wide hollywood audience to break even
>>
>>3234694
He hated the Mario Bros movie, the movie made no Mario sense an he's too good an actor to be there.
>>
>>3235054
The thing actually dented his career. Imagine that.
>>
Wait, they are making a Warcraft movie? Where the fuck have I been?
>>
>>3234431
>No, no it wasn't. The only thing the movie had going for it was Sean Bean.
1) Pyramid Head was cool
2) Akira Yamaoka on the soundtrack
3) Nice visuals

What more can you ask for? It wasn't a strict adaptation of the games but it has a lot going for it.
>>
>>3235828
It had a lot going for it, but it bastardized cannon to be edgy. The sequel was far worse in every aspect though, especially if you understood the mythos of the series.

>>3232739
It's going to be shit. The WC series stopped having a coherant plot after the Dark Portal expansion for 2. 3, although full 3rd (I swear that's all that sold it) was a fucking terrible game in my opinion. WoW was just a money churn that trampled the lore. This movie will be designed to pump more cash from the WoW fags. Do not expect anything as epic as Warcraft 1 or 2.
>>
>>3235804
Just ignore it.
>>
Lets be real, they will at least double their investment on this.
Theres a shitload of WC fans out there
>>
>>3236258
That's what I would think but I find it hard to believe anyone wants to see a warcraft movie. Maybe 10 years ago when WoW was hot shit, but now? I feel like that ship has sailed.
>>
>>3233185
This was a good film. The second one was not.
>>
>>3236183
>bastardized cannon
doesnt stop it from being a good film.
>>
>>3236313
By that logic, the LotR trilogy was a great set of Warcraft films. Great films, orcs, elves, and humans, but who cares about bastardized cannon?
>>
>>3236258
I bet people thought the same when they made the FF movie.
>>
>>3232745
Only video game based movie I can remember liking was Mortal Combat
>>
>>3237492
You might want to watch it again, mate.
>>
>Warcraft 2
RAID AND PILLAGE! WE TAKE THE PUNY HUMAN'S LANDS FOR OURSELVES! LEAVE NONE ALIVE! YET ANOTHER WORLD FALLS TO THE HORDE!

>Warcraft 3
Oh no, the evil humans! We must defend ourselves from this tyranny!

Metzen is a fucking hack. Amazing artist who once had a knack for writing, but fell into the writer's pit that is trying to make a story too intricate after the fact. Warcraft 2 had a nice dark fantasy feel to it that was obviously ripped off from Warhammer, though kept a bit lighter. This was enough of a niche in the gaming world at the time and executed well enough that it could've been cemented as its own thing easily. Unfortunately WC3 and every game they've released since happened. What I would give to turn back time and have him fired.
>>
>>3237492
tron and the remake were okay
not other video game movie is any good
>>
>>3238632
As much as I loved playing as the Undead and their units. The lore was fucking stupid and honestly didn't feel right coming from WC2.
>>
>>3238646
WC2 was what got me into RTS, and WC3 to me was a complete disaster. Ruined the lore, added an upkeep system, pretty shit balance, plus the heroes, which I could probably right a thesis on how awful that was. Went from managing army composition to just leveling your hero to max faster than the other guy and wiping his force in a single attack. I didn't mind the lich king storyline in itself, but it only came about by ruining the existing lore, which was already criminally bare within the game series itself. I expected a continuation, instead I got a fanfic rewrite.
>>
All you faggots with a blizzard hateboner can only dream and make little stories on how the movie will fail.

Warcraft is gonna be a big success and you gonna have to deal with it little fucking children.
>>
>>3238730
>Ruined the lore

Starcraft to Starcraft 2 killed the entre franchise stone dead. The lore and story was pants on head retarded.
>>
>>3238810
>End of Brood War has the Zerg ready to take over the entire galaxy
>SC2 starts off with 'no one's seen Zerg in years'
>Raynor misses Kerrigan as if he forgot she murdered countless friends and others
>"RAYNOR, I BRING TIDINGS OF DOOooOOooOOmmM"

I wholeheartedly agree. More Metzen fanfic-tier garbage.
>>
>>3238919
>Raynor and Sarah relationship where they both loved eachother but couldn't have one another in SC1 and Brood
>Sarah is evil, Raynor wants to free her by killing her

>SC2
>JIM I'M HUMAN AGAIN
>SARAH MY LOVE
>JIM IM A ZERG AGAIN
>SARAH WAS NEVER EVIL, JUST CONTROLLED BY XELANAGA
>I HATE YOU SARAH
>SARAH IS THE SAVOIR OF UNIVERSE AND TURNS HUMAN AND RUNS AWAY WITH JIM HAPPY ENDING
>
>>
>>3238949
and let's not get started on diablo 3...
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.