[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sega CD Model 1 rip offs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: Model 1 rip off.png (105 KB, 778x220) Image search: [Google]
Model 1 rip off.png
105 KB, 778x220
This seller is a good example of someone who is totally wrecking the retro gaming market and driving up prices for imaginary costs.

She charges over 100 extra dollars to replace the Sega CD Model 1 Drive Belts. Which cost 3.95

http://console5.com/store/parts/belts.html

It's insane people are getting away with this. The belts take 15 seconds to install and there are 100 videos on Youtube.

The real things that go bad in these Model 1 Sega CD's are the capacitors, and those can be recapped by someone for like the price of the caps plus 25-50 bucks labor.
>>
>>3231892
Most people who will replace the caps for 50 bucks will also throw in a new drive belt for free.
>>
I actually bypassed the fuse that usually blows the other day. I know it's dangerous to bypass and not replace but let's be real who connects systems straight into the wall nowadays?
Although I will definitely replace it if I ever sell it
>>
>>3231892
>totally wrecking the retro gaming market
In what way? No one is being forced to buy from him, don't like it don't give him money. It's a free market.
>>
>>3231905
Yeah, if it works, it works. But the problem is that these shitty fucking sellers are getting away with upcharging a Sega CD by over 100 dollars of what it's worth, and people keep paying it because they think this service is expensive or hard or something.

People are essentially taking advantage which hurts the retro gaming market even more, it makes people think Model 1's are worth 300 fucking dollars.

The "RARE JVC VARIANT" is a horseshit buzz too. They all have to be recapped and rebelted. Which is certainly not a 300 dollar job.
>>
>>3231892
>>3231902
Have you two kids taken one apart? Fuck that. I'd charge $100 too at least.
> The belts take 15 seconds
Well that answered that.
>>3231905
You could just not be retarded about it.
>>
>>3231907
It's a classic example of tricking people. This seller is already trying to get more than it's worth by saying it's a "rare JVC variant," when those were common and aren't any different than the other variants. It changes nothing about the system, the caps go bad and the belts go bad. 50 bucks at most to replace those, the belt is 3.95 and you just unscrew the system and put the belt in the spot of the old belt.

>>3231912
Yeah.
I used this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJJyELdj6t4
15 seconds was an exaggeration, but 5 minutes is not 100 dollars of work.
>>
>>3231912
I actually just looked up the price of the fuses and didn't realize how cheap they were. Ordered some now and I'll just go ahead and replace them
>>
>>3231912
>100 dollars
>for 2 minutes of work

You fucking unscrew the lid, the RF shield, roll the disc tray out, unclip it, put the belt on the two gears, replace.
>>
>>3231912
>kids

This should be replaced by desu or something.
>>
>>3231912
What is complicated about the process?
>>
>>3231915
>>3231923
>>3231924
It takes a good 30mins to fully take apart a SEGA CD and have the parts put into their own boxes so they don't get lost. Then you add time to clean, add greese, and replace what ever.

Fuck that. I don't work on Model 1 SEGA CDs anymore because of how much of a bitch it is. And then you have the plastic clips breaking all the time. Nightmare console. Give me a laserdisc system to work on any day.
>>
>>3231931
>It takes a good 30mins to fully take apart a SEGA CD
This guy literally does it in 2 minutes, and puts it back together in 2 minutes.
>>3231915
>>
>>3231937
All he did was take the top plastic off. Are you this retarded or just act stupid on the internet?
>>
File: drive belt.png (1 MB, 1248x642) Image search: [Google]
drive belt.png
1 MB, 1248x642
>>3231931
>Clean, add grease, replace what ever

Funny, I thought this was specifically about replacing a bad belt. Which takes all of 5 fucking minutes and is not 100 dollars worth of effort. It involves unscrewing two things and unclipping four things.

>>3231938
>All he did was take the top plastic off.

What the fuck video are you watching?
>>
>>3231941
I like to properly clean and grease what needs to bee when I fix consoles. I don't half ass shit.

That involves taking a SEGA CD completely apart.
>>
>>3231949
Yeah, well the fucker in the OP isn't doing any of that. They're just replacing the belt and upcharging 100 dollars.
>>
>>3231968
Fuck that guy then. Probably using some cheap chink belt too.
>>
>>3231971
Glad you're understanding the situation.

It's fucks like this
>I replaced the drive belt!
>O-oh, it's a rare JVC variant!

>300 DOLLARS.

That are causing huge rifts in appropriate pricing for retro game stuff.
>>
>>3231975
I don't blame them. It's ebays fault. Ever since 2013 when they chaged their policy so BiNs are free to list everything went nuts. Suddenly there's no risk to selling on ebay.
>>
>>3231990
The person tried to tell me that "prices of Sega CD have gone up" over the last month, and I found one for like 107 right now, with 1 day left.

So this person is just a full on scam artist, taking advantage of people. They don't mention anywhere that the caps go bad in Model 1's often.
>>
>>3231924
gaki would be hilarious actually. same for underage.
>>
>>3232083
Underage is whatever. I just see a lot of passive aggressive shitposters immediately start saying
>kid
and
>kiddo
>>
>>3231892
>She charges over 100 extra dollars to replace the Sega CD Model 1 Drive Belts. Which cost 3.95

Labor costs, anon. Most people can't even remove a screw, let alone undo the sisyphusian nightmare that was the drive of the model 1 sega cd.
>>
>>3232150
>Labor costs

Except there's guys who do actual console maintenance and charge way less.

There are guys who do TurboGrafx stuff who will charge like 50 for the belt and all new capacitors.
>>
>>3232150
>let alone undo the sisyphusian nightmare that was the drive of the model 1 sega cd.

We've been over this man.

It's a 2 minute process to replace the belt, and a 2 minute process to replace the disc tray, RF shielding, and lid.

This person is like a snake oil salesman.
>>
>>3232176
>It's a 2 minute process to replace the belt, and a 2 minute process to replace the disc tray, RF shielding, and lid.

Yeah, and then redoing the disassembly twice because you left out one of the bajillion parts in the thing.
>>
>>3232186
Ugh.
I'm not sure how many times this has to be gone over.

There's no parts.

There's four screws.
>>
>>3231892
Which is the best out of the two models? I don't mean which one looks better, but has the most technical advantages not related to size or anything. I'm okay with both, preferably the cheapest option.
>>
>>3232216
Model 2 is the cheapest and it's efficient. It still has caps that can go bad, though.

Model 1 is the coolest.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.