[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Specific games won't run on Nintendo 64
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2
File: Nintendo-64-wController-L.jpg (4 MB, 5820x2640) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo-64-wController-L.jpg
4 MB, 5820x2640
Hey, I've run into a problem with my Nintendo 64...
After I bought it, I tested Bomberman 64 and Mortal Kombat 4 and he system worked fine. Then a friend came over and his Conker's wouldn't run on mine even though it ran fine on his N64. I thought it was just due to the old cartridge.

Yesterday I bought OoT, Mystical Ninja and Super Mario 64. Both Mystical Ninja and Super Mario 64 worked fine, but OoT won't work the same as Conker's:

Screen is black, and then sort of flashes with some sort of interference. I tried cleaning the Zelda with a Q-Tip and alcohol and even the Nintendo 64 and that didn't work. Changing the expansion pak to the jumper pak made no difference too.

So, I returned Zelda to the store I bought and the guy tested it and it ran fine. He exchanged me for another copy, which he tested and worked fine on his console, but didn't on mine once again.

Anyone know what's the cause of this and what I can do? Thanks.
>>
>>3231508
Does it have the ram cart (xpansion pak) installed? I think its needed for conkers
>>
>>3231537
Conker doesn't at all support the Expansion Pak
>>
>>3231537
Yup, as I said in the original post changing the expansion pak to the jumper pak or vice-versa made no effect.

But both Conker's and Zelda don't need the expansion pak.
>>
>>3231508
Here's a video of the issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ETc3xS6Sm8
>>
>>3231508
>>3231553
You might have a faulty N64.
>>
>>3231561
So there's nothing I can do?
>>
Power issue. Either the power supply, fuse, or power switch.
>>
>>3231597
How would this be a power issue?
>>
>>3231601
Because the games are starting and working. But then fail.

Could be just a dirty connector too I guess. For the ram or cart.

I mess with a lot of N64s. I've had issues with games that start and work for 5 seconds to 10mins and then the screen just goes blank. Has almost always been a power issue. Sound seems to work 50% of the time when screen goes black too. So from my experience the sound being there or not doesn't matter. Unless you're trying to track down a cable problem.
>>
>>3231609
But Zelda/Conker don't start. I never see or hear anything from the game...

Mystical Ninja, Super Mario 64, Bomerbman 64 and Mortal Kombat 4 are all completely playable with no issues.
>>
I second the power supply. It's easily the most vulnerable part of the system.

The rest of the thing is entirely solid state.
>>
>>3231629
Oh I thought none worked. Then you need to clean it.
>>
>>3231632
The console as a whole? I already cleaned the part where the cartridges goes with a Q-Tip and alcohol.
>>
>>3231653
Probably not well enough since that's the only reason a game wouldn't work. Or your console is infested with bugs or something.
>>
>>3231656
That doesn't make much sense man, both the cartridge and the console have had the conectors cleaned with a Q-Tip + alcohol to the point where no dirt comes out in the Q-Tip anymore.

All other games work fine, but multiple copies of a particular game won't work even though they work on other consoles, how could this be dirt at this point (unless it's on the inside of the 64)?
>>
>>3231660
Could be shit under the connector.
>>
Going to try cleaning the n64 cartridge slot with an air duster, then metal polish, then isopropyl alcohol 90% to see if that makes a difference.
>>
>>3231917
Get a credit card. Wrap in a paper towel. Put ipa on it. Insert and pull out a bunch of times. There you go.
>>
>>3231982
Shiiit.

>used an air compressor thingy to clean
>wrapped credit card in paper towel
>used it with metal polisher brasso
>dried the slot
>used the credit card with alcohol
>dried the slot

same shit. both mystical ninja and super mario 64 still working fine, i'd say even better (without having to pull the cartridge a bit up). zelda is still a no go. wtf.
>>
My 64 is the least reliable console own. I have cleaned the shit out of it but it runs into issues regularly.
Does the 64 respond well to retensioning the connector pins like Sega consoles?
>>
>>3231542
Really? From how technically accomplished the game looks, I'd have thought it would be a must.
>>
>>3231508
Open up the carts and clean all corrosion on the pins.
>>
I'm just spitballing here, but part of the RCP might have shit out, kinda like the filters on the MOS6581 SID do.

It would explain why some games work and some don't, as only games which use the buggered parts would cause the system to halt.

I hope I'm not right though, so godspeed and keep cleaning (do use an anti-static wristband though)
>>
What's up /u/vmenge?
>>
>>3232935
what up breh
>>
>>3232792
well, hopefully i'll be able to find a RCP replacement or just buy a new used one :(
>>
>>3232792
Seems unlikely the RCP is faulty. Most games use every component of it, except maybe the color combiner.
>>
>>3231660
I'd say open up your console and really get it deep cleaned. Go hog wild on that connector.
>>
>>3235214
ignore this, missed that you did that already

Shit OP, this is a new one on me. Maybe consider asking on NintendoAge or some other group?
>>
>>3235215
will do, thanks!
>>
File: Paper Mario free demo.jpg (114 KB, 1159x792) Image search: [Google]
Paper Mario free demo.jpg
114 KB, 1159x792
>>3231508
I've had this same problem occasionally with my original N64, which I did indeed get Christmas 1997. Or rather, with certain GAMES themselves, such as those I've got from Ebay.

Long story short, you just have to keep turning the console on and off, repeatedly, maybe even pull the cartridge out and slam it back in a few times, in order to get some of the more worn games to work. You could try using q-tips and such to clean up the metallic connector parts.

I was very bummed that the copy of Paper Mario I got from the net did not work. Then I noticed my Goldeneye "stopped working" as well, only to get it run again soon after. This encouraged me to try this repeated on/off gamble with the PM as well, and whaddya know: it started running just fine!
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.