[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys pick a new game to play? I've developed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Untitled.png (31 KB, 969x418) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
31 KB, 969x418
How do you guys pick a new game to play? I've developed a system where I exported the full list of roms available to download from any particular system to a spreadsheet and use random.org to pick a title. This may seem autistic, but relieves of the stress of having to choose between thousands of titles.
>>
Historical relevance.
>>
>>3231025
>this may seem autistic
Bingo. Stress? You're choosing a video game. It's not difficult. Pick one that looks fun and interesting. Keep your autism in check.
>>
I play games I liked, but didn't beat in childhood. Then I play games by the same developer. Wanting to know more about a specific genre, I play games that are precursors to this genre.
>>
>>3231025
Me and my friends would play random nes games all night on my Dreamcast. NesterDC had a random and sort function. So we'd sort it to multiplayer only and hit random then play that game for at least 2 hours. I wouldn't call picking a game stressful, but it is hard to choose when you have so many choices
>>
File: dcutopia.jpg (27 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
dcutopia.jpg
27 KB, 720x540
>>3231025
>NesterDC
Man, that takes me back.

>>3231025
I pick games that I used to rent as a kid and games I wasn't able to play back then or anything that takes my interest really.
>>
I'm saving my RPGs for when my hands and reflexes go. For now I'm young so I play challenging action games.
>>
this actually sounds pretty great, and I already have most romsets. where do I get a spreadsheet of roms?
>>
>>3231025
I learnt to disregard any traditional categorisation of games -- i.e. platform and genre. I have folders for:

* 'PLAYING'
* 'PLAYED' -- i.e. discarded, might return to or types of games that go on forever like Civ -- and * 'COMPLETE' -- to put aside games I've done and remove them from the pool
* 'TRY' -- a folder where I move interesting games I've heard about and want to get to eventually

Then everything else goes into a few folders and when I complete something, or don't feel like playing anything current, I pick through.

I then do this for each system I play games on (e.g. PC/Laptop, Everdrives).
>>
>>3231209
I use coolroom.com, so I gathered info from their lists, e.g.

http://coolrom.com/roms/neogeo/all/
>>
I have about 50 games on various platforms in my OpenEmu library. I'll play through them all one day.
>>
>>3231025
>How do you guys pick a new game to play?
Get a fullset of roms for a particular console and just pick random games and play them.

The one that holds your attention the longest and has you coming back reguarly is "THAT GAME". Like Cadash for example, my first time ever playing that was in an emulator and it was neato. I could go play that anytime I want because it left an impression on me. When you just pick a random game there's very little outside interference keeping you from forming your own opinion. Highly effective.
>>
>>3231025
Sorry to break it to you but you are retarded.
Just play whatever you want.
>>
I play the games I like instead of being collector scum. Crazy idea in this day and age I know.
>>
>>3231347
>roms
>collector scum
Why does everyone here insist on lowering their IQ a minimum of 5 points every single day?
>>
>>3231402
>it's ok because just 1s and 0s!
Naw. You got a problem.
>>
>>3231407
You're either a troll or mentally incapable of forming cohesive thought patterns, either way I have pity for you and will leave you be.
>>
>>3231402
All video games are ROMs, regardless of whether it's on a cartridge or not. Are you actually so dumb that you don't realize this?
>>
>>3233878
He's a retard who thinks ROM means "emulator file downloaded off the Internet". If you asked him if even knows what the letters stand for, he would just stare at you like a fucking moron.
>>
>>3231025
I pick a game that appeals to me and then download it. I usually play it until I've beaten it.
>>
>>3233878
>>3233880
So OP specifically says ROMs available for download and we've put a couple of diagnosable autists in charge of comprehending context
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.