[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did Genesis or Super Nintendo have the better version of Earthworm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7
File: ej2.jpg (23 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
ej2.jpg
23 KB, 460x215
Did Genesis or Super Nintendo have the better version of Earthworm Jim 2?

I know SNES' EJ1 was worse by having less stages and lower quality music, but not sure about the sequel...
>>
Both are good but I find the SNES version to have slightly better controls and this time there's not a big difference like on EWJ1, it's pretty solid on SNES as well.

In terms of graphics and sound, the Saturn version is the best, but the controls aren't as tight.
>>
File: Greenjewel.gif (18 KB, 70x87) Image search: [Google]
Greenjewel.gif
18 KB, 70x87
>>3230860
It's all opinions. I tend to think the SNES version is best but interestingly enough there is something unique to every version. I tend to love eye candy so I'll be intricate.

EWJ2 on the MD visually is a lot closer to the MD version of the first game. The backgrounds are one layer and one layer only. They often follow you anytime you go anywhere. In the SNES version of both games, this changes.
In this version, Jim's A Blind Cave Salamander has a wiggle effect applied to the stage.
Tangerines background is a red sky. You can see the sun and another planet in front of it shrouded in mist.
See Jim Run in this version has these electric orb type things in the background and the stage is blue chrome.
The checkpoint animation in this version of the game spells out CONTINUE with a bouncing eyeball, a barber pole, and some other strange avant-garde looking things.

EWJ2 on the SNES features more color, sometimes completely different backgrounds, and is way more detailed. You can get the feel that they wanted to create a moving painting easier with this version. It has the better sound over the first SNES game but compared to the MD ver, is at a smaller resolution.
When you start this version you'll notice immediately that Tangerines has been visually overhauled. Seeing that this is Bob The Killer Goldfish's vacation away with his home planet it's luxurious. Take notice at the waterfall in the background. It's beautiful. The stage is now more aquatic and has a blue tint.
See Jim Run is a green different kind of material in this version but still features the same electric orbs.
Udderly Abducted has a mist in front of the tower in the background. The MD bg is just the tower.
The checkpoint animation in this version of the game spells out CONTINUE with a with sparking yellow neon signpost.
>>
File: welldone.gif (202 KB, 256x223) Image search: [Google]
welldone.gif
202 KB, 256x223
Well done.
>>
File: Tangerines.gif (145 KB, 462x224) Image search: [Google]
Tangerines.gif
145 KB, 462x224
>>3230938
cont.

>Saturn
This version was handled by a developer known as "Screaming Pink". Shiny didn't work on this version of the game seeing as Doug took everyone with him to go develop The Neverhood. Tommy Tallarico and Lin Shen are the only people here who've done work on the previous games.
You'll notice that they seem to trying their best to hide that this is a 2D game, and it comes off almost ungenuine.
I've played this on an actual Saturn so believe me when I say there's noticeable input lag when it comes to jumping and attacking. I have no idea what they did to mess that up.
Title screen and password screen are prerendered 3D now.
Music is CD quality now. Sounds great. Tommy is still doing the music.
The WELL DONE cows are on surfboards. There are a few signposts throughout the game "No Spitting", "This mine is something days old"
Anything But Tangerines has a 3D parallax water type effect and there are prerendered planets in the background.
Puppy Love now takes place around volcanos.
Lorenzen's Soil and Blind Sally are much darker in this version.
Udderly Abducted has a statue of Jim in the background and a Cow statue of Liberty. "Our Hero" is engraved beneath Jim and there is a cow on his shoulder.
ISO 9000's background doesn't scroll anymore. It's just suspended in mid-air. There are also calculators.
Level Ate is mostly the same, but you can you see a table with drinks in the far distance now. The secret "Forked" now has some cows locked up in the background.
See Jim Run retains the look of the SNES version but is somewhat more detailed.

PS1 version is lacking some of the better visual effects seen here but is mostly the same.
>>
Who gives a shit when the PC, PSX and Saturn versions make both look like junk?
>>
>>3230995
The Flying King definitely has the most attractive water effects on Saturn of all of the versions though.

For instance, in spite of their general similarities I noticed the animation was utterly broken / pathetic looking on PS1.
>>
>>3231003
the PC, PSX and Saturn versions make both look like junk
But they don't? It's exactly the same game with some small changes that don't make anything better. They didn't add anything new other than CD music and that input lag I mentioned earlier is shit.
>>
>>3231003
>Who gives a shit
console warriors. It's a thinly veiled SNES vs. Genesis thread
>>
File: kona.jpg (53 KB, 365x205) Image search: [Google]
kona.jpg
53 KB, 365x205
>>3231017
There's always gotta be the paranoid defensive idort in these port comparison threads, huh
>>
>>3231890

>konata
>2016

wtf
>>
Actually all versions are pretty much equal this time around.
>>
>>3230976

I hate that on the Saturn version you can't change their pitch pressing buttons.
I miss my SNES cart.
>>
>>3230860
PC was better than either console.
>>
File: gaben.jpg (107 KB, 1024x556) Image search: [Google]
gaben.jpg
107 KB, 1024x556
>>3231946
PC was and still is a joke.
>>
>>3231946

PC verson is just like the PS1 version, it lacks the Saturn extra parallax layers, and still the PC/Saturn/PS1 version isn't as good as the 4th gen versions just because of the controls.
>>
Genesis versions of both EWJ 1 & 2 are superior. EWJ 2 on the SNES is a very good port but ultimately it was made for the genesis. You would be okay with the SNES verion if it was the only one available.
>>
>>3231984
>ultimately it was made for the genesis.

Source?

This is true for EWJ1, but it's mostly agreed that EWJ2 is as good (if not better) on SNES than on Genesis.
>>
>>3230860
>>3231946
They all had that submarine level, ergo all were equally shit and worthless games.
>>
>>3231003
The people who played them and noticed that they don't actually look better, due to many graphics being outright changed to the worse. The PC version is also missing a level.

The CD music sounds awesome though.

As far as I know, the SNES version of EWJ2 had the best backgrounds, Saturn version had the best sound and sprites, and a few odd changes to the backgrounds.

But that orange monstrosity they turned Puppy Love into in the Saturn version is downright criminal.
>>
>>3232240
Earthworm Jim on Saturn also runs at a high resolution.

SNES runs at its typical super low-res.
>>
>>3232254
>Earthworm Jim on Saturn also runs at a high resolution.

It runs at 352x224, while Megadrive is 320x224 and SNES is 256x224.
>>
>>3232203
>Jim
>shit and worthless
Way to prove how underage you are.
>>
>>3232260
>It runs at 352x224

Do you have evidence for this or do you just assume every Saturn game runs at this resolution?
>>
>>3232260
And the PSX? I only played (and seen) that one as a kid.
>>
File: 00000011.png (65 KB, 704x480) Image search: [Google]
00000011.png
65 KB, 704x480
>>3232315
>Do you have evidence for this or do you just assume every Saturn game runs at this resolution?

You are right, I looked it up and it's actually 352x240.
>>
>>3230860
>>3231984
Unlike the first game, the sequel is filled with classical music which are favored by the Snes hardware. The backgrounds are also better than in the Genesis version and there is no missing content afaik.
I'm aware that the 5th generation versions have a superior soundtrack, but honestly I prefer the backgrounds on the Snes version. I don't think the PS1 / Saturn backgrounds blend well with the rest of the graphics. Puppy Love is a good example of this.
>>
>>3232385
>Unlike the first game, the sequel is filled with classical music which are favored by the Snes hardware.

The first game did have part of Night On Bald Mountain though.
But yeah, the second game has more older pieces.
>>
>>3232304
I'm actually in my 30s and genuinely think that bit ruined the otherwise beautiful game. The fact that the rest of the game up until that point was so lovely makes it an even more bitter pill to swallow.
>>
>>3232203
Do people hate on that level just because it was hard? Once you know the route it's pretty easy to cruise through within minimal damage. Panic about not knowing where you're going is what kills most folk off.
>>
>>3232447
It couldn't have been as bad as Puppy Love is in EWJ2.
>>
>>3232450
Isn't that like some kind of Sleepwalker/Eek The Cat type level?
>>
>>3232447

Not because it was hard, because it was frustrating, and not fun, and it deviated from the normal controls.
People bitch about this on EWJ2 too, not just Puppy Love but also the flying king level, and the balloon head level.
The blind salamander level gets a pass just because it's awesome and it's actually fun.
Puppy Love is not really bad (unless you're playing the 32-bit port with shit controls), but it gets really old the 2nd and 3rd times.
>>
I AM THE BEST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgnSTuHAxhs
>>
>>3236997

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fPSTJGe-3o
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.