[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Most popular Sega system in Asia.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: Sega-Saturn-JP-Mk1-Console-Set.jpg (2 MB, 3980x2280) Image search: [Google]
Sega-Saturn-JP-Mk1-Console-Set.jpg
2 MB, 3980x2280
Most popular Sega system in Asia.
>>
>>3230163
Are you the same anon who made that "Master System is most popular Sega system in S. America" thread?
>>
>>3230163
Still not popular enough to save Sega from going bankrupt, though.
>>
>>3230190
Only America matters
>>
>>3230163
>Most popular Sega system in Asia
Cause the competition is horrible.
>>
>>3230163
I really love/hate that 90s cool blue/gray color scheme
>>
shit console desu
>>
>>3230223
Implying Genesis and Dreamcast were bad?
>>
>>3230257
Genesis was curbstomped by the Super Famicom.

I actually don't know how popular the Dreamcast was, though.
>>
>>3230262
yeah, Saturn was Sega's only success in the East outside of their arcade stuff, and at the expense of tearing the company apart.
>>
>>3230274
it was that 2d fighting game library I tells yah
>>
>>3230163
I had no idea we got such a huge slice of the Saturn pie. No wonder they're so cheap here.
>>
>>3230403
They are?

I haven't seen any at all. :(
>>
>>3230403
Saturn sold 1.8 million in the Americas and 1 million in Europe. Sold 5.6 millioin in Japan and 500k in Other, which is the rest of Asia maybe?
>>
>>3230578
Well in Korea the Saturn was sold by Samsung, so it wouldnt be included in that total.
>>
>>3230438
Maybe you're in a place that couldn't afford vidya at the time?

>>3230578
Good thing OP didn't say "rest of Asia" init? Also, I've found plenty of Japanese Saturns in "rest of Asia"
>>
>>3230617

Well, Japan is the bulk of Asia's VG market, so it's pretty safe to say Saturn is Sega's best selling system in that continent....

...but do we have any info on the Saturn in non-Japan Asia? Just curious.
>>
>>3230625
Hong Kong: Distributed by WKK (who were also a manufacturer of Saturn and other Sega consoles)
Singapore/Malaysia/Brunei: Distributed here by WyWy ... they had pretty good distribution, and their own chain of shops.
Thailand: Distributed by Galaxy, an arcade chain owner
Korea: Distributed by Samsung. Yes, that Samsung.
>>
>>3231134
It's a meme thread, two days ago it was #1 in south america, its a meme
>>
File: .jpg (33 KB, 260x226) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
33 KB, 260x226
I wish I had official stats to prove it, but as it is I can only go on personal anecdote and hearsay, but weirdly enough the Saturn was really popular here in Poortugal (and SEGA overall always was), maybe not enough to beat the PS1 but still way way ahead of the N64.

At best my most credible source is a popular games journalist here that also says the same, and I think he even wrote about it, but I'm not sure if he actually knows the numbers.

But just by looking at the ease that you can buy a Saturn here on online stores, and cheaply might I say, and all those shovelware sports games that fill the online stores, you can easily speculate it was indeed popular.

The marketing and advertising was also pretty aggressive while Nintendo was nowhere to be seen, so I imagine that contributed to it.
>>
>>3231147
Honestly, thee sales weren't too far if you subtract NA.

N64: 32--20 = 12 million
Saturn: 9-2 = 7 million

Similar to how Genesis/SNES wren't too far part if you subtract Japan.
>>
>>3231970
That's interesting, never considered that. NA really does have a huge consumer power.

Just like the rest of the world doesn't really care about xbox consoles and yet it thrives just because of the states alone.
>>
>>3230625
Well that 500k figure. But it's pretty pointless because the amount that was sold in Japan but evened up elsewhere is probably more.
>>
>>3231970
Also consider that N64 was out from 96-2003, while Saturn was from 94-98 (and for 1994, only a month).
>>
>>3232000
Xbone and Wii U are basically modern N64 and Saturn.

US/UK vastly prefer Xbone, while Wii U is stronger in Asia. Everywhere else is back and forth.
>>
>>3232328
Pretty much. Saturn=GC=WiiU. When Wii U shit is filling the bargain bin I'm going to clean it out and stick it in the attic until it's worth squillions.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.