[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I recently played through Avernum: Escape from the Pit, which
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3
File: Avernum-2012-03-10-08-11-13-27.jpg (176 KB, 1820x1000) Image search: [Google]
Avernum-2012-03-10-08-11-13-27.jpg
176 KB, 1820x1000
So, I recently played through Avernum: Escape from the Pit, which is a remake of Exile: Escape from the Pit, made by the same people (mostly one dude, if I'm not mistaken) in the 1990s.

Fucking loved it. Looking for more old school, top-down, turn-based rpgs. I already know Fallout, Wasteland, Ultima, and Arcanum.
>>
Any more specific contents you're looking for?
>>
>>3229541
I like having lots of options available in building a character and in what quests/missions to go on, who to talk to and what to say to them, and multiple possible endings. I especially like being able to talk shit to evil characters to start a fight.

Something sci-fi (or, hell, science fantasy) would be nice, but I'm fine with whatever you have.

For me, the best of these games tend to be from the mid-late 1990s.
>>
I grew up playing the exile series. 3 is one of my favorite games of all time. Spiderweb even sent me a free copy since I was still registered for buying the original on 3.5" floppies directly from them 20 years ago.

That being said, I can't fucking stand Avernum. I pray the do a 64-bit release of the Exile series.
>>
>>3229913
What do you dislike about Avernum? Having played both versions, I like the newer one better.
>>
>>3229402
If you haven't tried them yet you must play the Geneforge series by the same dude, it's great
>>
>>3229402
Play Exile/Avernum 3, it's the best overhead Ultima-like RPG ever made
>>
File: 10.jpg.png (49 KB, 250x324) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg.png
49 KB, 250x324
Exile 2: Crystal Souls was the best

Played the fuck out of this game on my mac when I was 10.

Shareware is nostalgia.
>>
File: exile2_shot.gif (73 KB, 556x420) Image search: [Google]
exile2_shot.gif
73 KB, 556x420
They're a lot more satisfying than either of the remakes, in my opinion. Really old school CRPG goodness in the original titles.
>>
Its not exactly the same, but I love the Eschalon games from Basilisk.

Feels very old school with the way they play.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.