[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why does this game possess such mystical qualities, even today?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 8
File: Super_Mario_64.jpg (819 KB, 1000x696) Image search: [Google]
Super_Mario_64.jpg
819 KB, 1000x696
Why does this game possess such mystical qualities, even today?
>>
File: african_pacman.png (106 KB, 336x351) Image search: [Google]
african_pacman.png
106 KB, 336x351
Parallel Universes
>>
>>3228483
>mystical qualities

Name them
>>
BUT FIRST
>>
>>3228483
Aside from the lame "go get stars" concept, it did one thing very well that Nintendo completely forsake with time : it gave people the choice.
>>
Early 3D games always felt somewhat surreal to me. A lot of things are just geometric shapes and there's often also a weird mix of 2D objects in 3D space.
>>
>>3228558
It healed my lumbago and my cousin's eyesight returned to him after sitting in front of a TV playing Mario 64 after just 5 minutes of exposure.
>>
File: shocking lifts.webm (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
shocking lifts.webm
3 MB, 480x360
>>3228483
Because no video game has a moveset quite like it. It's a technical masterpiece in spite of anything Nintendo intended. It's the Melee of 3d platformers.
>>
File: 4de.png (270 KB, 600x359) Image search: [Google]
4de.png
270 KB, 600x359
>>3228564
This
Also it gave birth to a grade A meme
>>
Mario 64 is so fucking dark and weird in a lot of places. Very ominous game. I'm so glad it's unique in the way it is though.
>>
It's an adventurous game.

Like, you just pop it in and go exploring. It's really neat.
>>
>>3228483
I love this game. Never forgot spending one summer with my cousing getting all 120 stars (after getting the 70 and beating Bowser ages ago). It was indeed magical. We didn't use any guides or nothing either.

If there's one way I'd improve it, it would be to make it so that the level doesn't end when you get a star. It would have been so much better that way.
>>
>>3228809
What's the Melee of 2D platformers?
>>
>>3228939
Probably Sanic.
>>
>>3228936
>If there's one way I'd improve it, it would be to make it so that the level doesn't end when you get a star. It would have been so much better that way.

Here's a gameshark code that will let you play it like that.

8124DDBC 2400
8124DE1C 2400

It's fun as fuck. To leave a stage you either have to die or select "exit stage" from the menu.
>>
>>3228972
Not the guy you were replying to, but wow, right on.
>>
>>3228985
>>3228972
I also forgot to add that you can only actually save the game when you hit cap switches, which you have 3 opportunities to do in the entire game. So use them wisely I guess lol
>>
>>3228997
Couldn't you set up a joker code to toggle the cheat on and off?
>>
>>3229001
Maybe. I wouldn't know how to do it though.
>>
File: Super Mario 64 - Screenshot.gif (29 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
Super Mario 64 - Screenshot.gif
29 KB, 300x225
Because of the gorgeous art style, and simple premise of exploring vast worlds to collect stars. It's a very rewarding game. Not only did it revolution gaming by being the first great 3D platformer, but its exploration elements forced gamers to experience each 3D world to their fullest.

One of the best games ever made.

The camera sucks, though. Funny how everything else aged perfectly, but the camera is horrible.
>>
>>3228483
Ive never played it. Should I? Or it just fun because nostalgia
>>
>>3229106
It's regarded as one of the best platformers of all time even to this day.

I dunno, you might like it or not.
>>
>>3229106
>Ive never played it. Should I? Or it just fun because nostalgia
Yes, you should definitely play it. Nostalgia did play a big role in what made the game originally fun, but it still holds up. Only flaw is the camera system. It's pretty fucked.
>>
>>3229116
>>3229114
Ok I'll give it a try.

My parents were weird about buying games for us. They'd put down the money for the console, and buy a few games up front, and for the next 3 years say games were too expensive and wait for the prices to come down.

We only had 4 n64 games growing up (goldeneye, perfect dark, star wars racer, and zelda). They refused to buy any more.
>>
>>3228972
But the level's geography changes according to what star you "pledge" to get. If you choose one mission, then the platform or whatever that leads to another star isn't there. How is that surmounted?
>>
>>3229071
>"revolution" as a verb
Die.
>>
Overblown nostalgia for this game... I never played it when i was young, so i tried it out when i was 20. It's a very ugly 3D game with very basic textures. The camera is very bad, it doesn't help you navigate the levels. The level design is alright, but extremely basic, the fact that it's a very early 3D game is very noticable. The musical theme is pretty good at first, but quickly becomes extremely reptitive. Overall every aspect of the game is basic. The control of your character is absurdly hard to master also, which combined with the camera makes the game extremely hard and frustrating to be honest. Hard to learn, hard to master and really ugly graphics, quite frankly, also repetitive themes (boss fights, slide levels, gathering stars.). Compared with a game like Spyro the Dragon (which i do have nostalgia for, i admit), Mario 64 is like a bucket of vomit, not gonna lie.
>>
>>3229187
I disagree, although, Super Mario 64 was one of the first games I ever played, so I have had more experience with the mechanics to the point where it's sort of comes naturally.

I personally don't see the simplicity being a bad thing. The theming is simple and there's no forced story or narrative, but it's also unique. I believe it allows the game to be approached more ambiguously, which gives it a timeless quality.

I never enjoyed Spyro though and thus haven't played the games very much at all. The artstyle (not to be confused with graphics) to me is awful and looks extremely generic and bland, like some dated children's cartoon from the 80's. Voice acting is almost always a poor choice in retro games, and Spyro is no exception. Also, the level design seems thoughtless, there's no sense of direction and objective, I just found myself wandering around collecting gems and eggs with no set goals, tasks, or challenge given.

Honestly, I think Ape Escape is a far better designed game and is of much higher quality overall when it comes to PS1 platformers. Though Super Mario 64 is still my favorite 3D platformer.
>>
>>3229187
Spyro is a bigger collectathon than anything on the N64.

At least those Rare games were an adventure. In Spyro you just enter a boring abstract world, run around mindlessly collecting little gems, and occasionally kill enemies by either charging them or blowing fire on them (depending on their weakness which is either one of the two) pretty much the only moves Spyro has.

All he can do is a single jump and a glide, and maybe the occasional ground pound or last minute up-glide. The voice acting is terrible and even cringe-worthy (particularly in the first game), and the latter games try way too hard to go radikewl by giving Spyro a skateboard.

The graphics are very bland, and objects in the detail completely lack detail, and there is blatant detail pop-in as you approach things, while the music technically quite nice feels very thematically disconnected from each level.

Overall, Spyro was a mistake.
>>
>>3229284
copeland's soundtrack is one of the best of any game for the PS1 though
>>
>>3229287
What, the guy from Sting?
>>
>>3228549
done in 1
>>
>>3228939
I'm tempted to say Super Metroid, but I really don't know

Maybe a Sonic or Mega Man X game
>>
>>3229419
I was going to say Super Metroid as well.

Especially when you take speedrunning into consideration.
>>
>>3228997
You can still save if you collect 100 coins.
>>
wow kewl a jumpathon with empty levels where you play as chef boyardee. brilliant game.
>>
>>3229187

>mario 64
>hard to play and master

Holy shit you suck at a childrens game
>>
>>3229419
Super Metroid is a good choice. I'd also perhaps say Yoshi's Island; there's tons of mechanics in that game you won't figure out the first time through, and the skill ceiling is very high. Also, I believe the competitive scene (speedrunning in this case) is still pretty active.
>>
File: tumblr_o1j2dgEjNv1u08gjso1_500.png (86 KB, 500x379) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1j2dgEjNv1u08gjso1_500.png
86 KB, 500x379
rest in peace henry
>>
>>3228483

This game blew my fucking mind as a kid. All I had played before was whatever few games I had on the snes. Going from SMW to SM64 was insane.
>>
>>3230127

I had a PC, a 3DO and a PlayStation and believe me, SM64 still blew my mind as well, it was just on another level of anything else up to that point.
>>
>>3228939
yoshi's island
>>
>>3229134
That's depressing breh. But at least u had pd and ge for those multiplayer needs eh?
>>
>>3229157
He's probably on his phone u dumb memelord.
>>
>>3229154
you exit stage after collecting the prerequisite star and then go back in.
>>
>>3228997
save states...
>>
>>3228483
It's got some of the best movement and physics in any game. You don't even have to play the levels, you can have fun just running around and doing wall jumps in the castle.
>>
>>3231262
This. It's just so fun to play, even when you're not playing the actual "game" part of it.
>>
>>3228925
like when
>>
>>3229134
>>3229116

Well since I cant find a cart for a reasonable price I'll have to emulate
>>
>>3231467
Do you have a Wii/Wii U? It's on the Virtual Console.
>>
>>3228568
This fellow gets it.
>>
>>3231467
Do you live in some 3rd world country or something? I don't even mean that in a demeaning way because here in Europe you can easily get a copy of Mario 64 for less than 15 euros.
>>
>>3231397
>stages just float in an infinite void

That always creeped me out just looking down and seeing it stretch on forever
>>
>>3231687
pansy
>>
>>3231690
Not only that but I was afraid to go underwater in Jolly Roger Bay
>>
>>3231704
the piano's what got me
>>
>>3231707
Now that you brought it up, is the piano the one enemy in a Mario game that cannot be defeated? It seems like Bowser should have used more of those to guard the power stars.

Mario can swing Bowser by his tail. You can't even touch the piano without taking damage, and there's no way to beat it or become immune to its damage since there's no form of invincibility you can utilize.

If I'm not mistaken, then that means the piano from Super Mario 64 is the strongest enemy in the entire series.

Hear me out on this.
>>
>>3232810
>If I'm not mistaken, then that means the piano from Super Mario 64 is the strongest enemy in the entire series.
>Hear me out on this.
I'm listening. So what you're saying is, you are the most autistic fan in the entire Mario fanbase, yes? (Just joking, bud.)
>>
>>3230025
Shut the fuck up. You never even played it
>>
My favorite ever Mario game. I grew up loving Mario 3 but certain things annoy me about it nowadays. I always found Mario 64 an absolute blast. Has challenging sections but not cheap and frustrating like Mario 3
>>
It really is rather mystical, huh?

I don't mean this in a creepypasta kind of way, but I still dream about playing Mario 64.

Usually in these dreams, "I" don't exist. I take on the role of the camera, and I'm controlling Mario's movement unconsciously.

Unfortunately, these dreams are usually more like nightmares that focus on the more negative aspects of the game. Things clip through walls unexpectedly, pop into existence from draw distance, I clip out of bounds into black, falling voids (or into the infinite sky that the levels float in), or I'm in a water level with no surface to breathe.

What makes it "mystical"? It's hard to pinpoint, but I'll try.

>usage of 2d objects like trees and certain enemies which are always viewed from the same side no matter your orientation in the 3d world
>camera clipping which allows you to see through the world into the voids/expanses that lie beneath
>draw distance which makes the world look empty until you're present in it
>stark realism (mario drowning/quicksand death, the manta ray (oh god the manta ray) ) contrasted with generally cartoony stuff

I think the word best used is that it is "surreal" rather than "mystical".

These threads about the "feel" of SM64 pop up every now and again, this isn't the first one I've posted in one.
I wish someone smarter than me would go in-depth on the topic, there's definitely something to it beyond mere autism.
>>
>>3233001
All N64 games are like that, I think. It's just a product of the hardware limitations at the time, and the time period itself. Graphics were at a unique stage in their development which in retrospect seems downright bizarre sometimes. I can see why younger kids, especially, who weren't around then and don't even have that perspective of hindsight, could look at the game as a sort of foreign relic compared to what they're growing up with nowadays, and might find that style of graphics "creepy." I like them a lot, though.
>>
>>3232887
>Not playing retro vidya for the purpose of analysis
>Not realizing Mario has lore deeper than the Mariana trench
This is the true definition of a casual.
>>
>>3229134
That's so fucking bizarre, haha.
>>
>>3233340
Wasn't Mario 64 a pack-in game? Wtf?
>>
because its an early 3D game from nintendo, OoT and majoras mask are also fucking insane in all the shit that is in them/wrong with them on a technical level
>>
>>3228809
>the melee of 3d platformers

That's fucking bang on!
>>
>>3229134
That's pretty shit dude.
All those games have great replayability though!
>>
>>3229187
Spyro is good man, but you're so fucking wrong on every level.
>The control of your character is absurdly hard to master
Just because you're too shit to enjoy a game doesn't mean it's bad
>>
>>3233001
Whenever I want to fly in lucid dreams I have to do the mario triple jump
>>
>>3228483
The music is also a great trip. Also the credits track brings tears to me every time I listen to it.
>>
>>3229187

>first complaint is about graphics

Your opinion is absolutely meaningless
>>
>>3234279

>Also the credits track brings tears to me

It's like "don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened" music, like a happy funeral. It makes me tear up too.
>>
>>3234279
Mario 64 is a masterpiece or close to it imo. I love the music. Love that one tune with that whistling that sounds like country or bluegrass or something
>>
>>3234279
Koji Kondo made some goty credits music. The one in Mario World also makes me teary eyed for no reason.
>>
>>3228483
has anyone ever tried "porting" this to snes with the superfx chip?
>>
>>3234868
can't wait for that silky smooth 9 fps gameplay
>>
>>3236131

>countless
>names two

Pink Floyd, The Beatles, the list could go on...
>>
>>3228483

Physics, vertical sense of space, the strategic recycling of medium-sized worlds to produce renewed gameplay magic. For me Skyward Sword has a similar feel.
>>
>>3233521
this sums it up. It seems to be the last Mario game to have that kind of allure to it, except maybe the Galaxy series
>>
>>3231491
>>3231575
>shilling this hard for Nintendo

Fuck off, its the most accurate emulated n64 game.
>>
>>3237115
>>being so assblasted about the idea that people spend money on games or anything to begin with

And don't come to me saying "kek what a stupid cuck, such a shill!". It must feel terrible to be so jealous of others and feel easily offended by realizing people play games in a different way than you do.

Besides, even Mario 64 is still not emulated accurately. There are still tons of visual emulation glitches compared to running the rom on a N64 or on VC. Oh no, I shouldn't have said that cause now you will probably say "Fuck off you autistic cunt, nobody cares about that!!". Whatever man, as long as you get a kick out of replies I guess?
>>
>>3229305
Yes the guy from Sting
>>
>>3233001
holy shit this is me, except with Metroid Fusion and scary scary SA-X encounters I make up in my dream.
>>
>>3228483
>Why does this game possess such mystical qualities, even today?

The big question for me is will it still possess mystical qualities six to seven decades from now.

Cause then it would still possess them even after most of the the people who grew up with it are dead.
>>
>>3228483
It doesn't. You just played it when you were 9 and it blew you away coz you never played Mario before.
>>
>>3228939
Kirby
Because that has the smash ability
>>
>>3241253

You seem to be projecting your experiences onto other posters.
>>
>>3229071
>camera sucks

well, it's relative. Like you mention, SM64 was the first 3d platformer that wasn't garbage, and in fact was totally amazing (and still is). One of the reasons for that however is that compared to other 3D non-first person games at the time (not just platformers), the camera was actually workable, and didn't completely ruin the game.

3rd person cameras have obviously been improved since, but at the time, the camera in SM64 was absolutely incredible in it's intuitive and seamless movement. (besides that, I still think people complain too much about it, even today. yes, the camera fucks up on certain portions of the game, but 95% of the time it's perfectly fine.)
>>
>>3228809
fun fact: puncayshun, the SM64 speedrunner, plays Melee. He got an honorable mention on the last PR.
>>
>>3233350
Maybe when n64 first came out in 96, but I got mine in 98 and it didnt come with mario. So I assume the later ones didnt come with it.
>>
>>3231704
To this day, I get a little terrified of deep water in games, I think it comes from playing Mario 64 as a kid. Dire Dire Docks gave me some vivid fantasies.
>>
>>3242158
Please play again without your rose-tinted glasses and notice how many times the camera fucks up any chance of making a jump unless you're already used to that particular camera fuckery. SM64 is all about memorizing quirks and learning how to move with them, and is no better than Dragon's Lair in that respect.
>>
>>3233001
I think your dreaming has a lot to do with when you played it, I'm similar. I feel like games influenced my imagination in a way nothing else did given the period of heavy development I was in, coupled with how immersed I could become. I'm an adult now, but video games will still cause my imagination to run wild, and when something surreal happens that seems to shake the confines of the game's reality, it scares me like nothing else.
>>
>>3243324
a lot of SM64 speedrunners are into Melee actually, not just puncay. there seems to be some decent overlap.
>>
1. Games today are all "muh shooting" or "muh insane fast paced nonsense"
2. Graphics back then were simple and clean. Now everything is so uber realistic and ultra detailed that it's like visual vomit on the screen.
3. It's just a fun game with good controls.
>>
>>3233001

>the word best used is that it is "surreal" rather than "mystical"

What I always found particularly surreal about SM64 was the Bowser levels, and how strangely the world and level design teetered between realism and abstraction.

A lot of platformers try to conceal the platforming elements (as landscape features, mechanisms, etc.), but SM64 only does this SOME of the time, in the main levels.

It's odd going from those concept-heavy main levels to the Bowser stages, which are just abstract shapes with ugly-ass colors floating in a colorful void. They're pure platforming with no pretense of "reality" like the other levels. They're devoid of explanation. They're trippy. I mean, seriously, they look like something you might see on a bad trip.
>>
File: latest[2].png (489 KB, 614x454) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].png
489 KB, 614x454
>>3243927
Ever played DK64?

It's not a very good game, but Gloomy Galleon is pretty memorable for its dark, eerie waters.
>>
I always thought Mario 64 was ok at best even when it came out. And i was probably about 5 back then.
>>
>>3244363
DK64 is more enjoyable than Mario imo
>>
>>3244363
dk64 is better than mario64
>>
>>3243927
You sure it wasn't the sewer level from Shadows of the Empire?
>>
>>3229187
>trying to view a game's technical significance outside of its context
>>
>>3228809
Sunshine actually duplicated and improved upon the movesets and fluidity of the platforming.
>>
>>3244593
>>3244596

Not better than Mario 64, but I enjoyed it more than Banjo.
>>
>>3244619
no it didn't. it removed a bunch of the tech and physics that made SM64 fun, and dumbed down much of the stuff it kept. they even took out speedkicks and longjumping. the only thing it added was fludd and a lame ass spin jump. the levels were shit too. gigantic, boring stages with nothing in them.

Sunshine was a good game in its own right, but a completely new monster. the movement feels quite a bit different than SM64, and to say it was duplicated is naive to the subtleties of either game.

people who speedrun both games (there's a lot of overlap actually), and thus put many hours into both, tend to prefer SM64's movement and feel it has a higher skill ceiling with more precise and versatile mechanics.
>>
>>3228939
Super Mario Bros 3.
>>
>>3230127
This. There's no other argument for why this game feels so "mystical" or "grand". We went from Super Mario World to Super Mario 64 in only five years. There has never been such a big jump in gaming technology in the post-crash era. The idea games could be polygonal and 3D was insane, and that it could be pulled off so well.
>>
Because the gameplay is great, but they didn't bother to make their worlds sensible, so you keep playing through nonsense.
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 130x148) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 130x148
>>3244710
Nope. Mario's platforming in sunshine is much more fluid. In fact most of it involves water!
>>
>>3244949
Sunshine is fucking awesome
>>
>>3243938
I literally broke out my N64 last summer and played SM64 for the first time in 15 years (beat 70 star in just under 2 hours).

So eat a dick.
>>
>>3244710

Agree with this.

I happened to play both last summer, SM64 for the first time in over 15 years, Sunshine for the first time ever.

Sunshine's movement is just too... zippy. Mario's acceleration feels off. It just doesn't have the wonderful fluid movement of SM64, which paces the movement just right to make you feel like an elite parkour god.

Sunshine ain't a bad game really, but I really can't think of any way that it's a superior game, other than the improved camera.
>>
>>3229187

Pls have sex, lose weight, seek sunlight, kys etc.
>>
>>3229305

From The Police.
>>
>>3230042
Record yourself play SM64 and then watch someone actually good at SM64 side by side with your shitty performance. You're being wilfully obtuse just because you're on the internet and trying to one up someone anonymously.
>>
>>3229187
Wewliosis of the lad
>>
>>3245045
I do prefer the way Sunshine's world was all connected, and the more interactive hub. It gave the game a deeper feeling of one long adventure, which to me makes it more memorable in certain respects. 64 can be a little disjointed.

>>3244602
Yeah it was definitely 64 that set the foundation as I played it first, but Shadows is the more unpleasant (for me) example. I love that game.

>>3244363
I did, and I actually enjoyed the game, though I find the graphics are a little more muddled, I guess? It puts me off a bit.
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.