[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never played any Quake single player campaign. Are
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (45 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45 KB, 460x215
I've never played any Quake single player campaign. Are they any good?
>>
>>3228407
quake 1 has a badass campaign

quake 2 is ok
>>
Yes very, its my favorite series and I've played the story for quake one a million times
>>
>>3228407
If you do play Quake make sure to play it through a modern source port like Quakespasm and not emulated.
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 240x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 240x200
>>3228469
>emulating Quake
>>
>>3228407
You may want to check out the unofficial port for the Wii.

It has damn good pointer controls, surprisingly better than any officially released FPS on the console.
>>
>>3228469
I was thinking of getting them on GOG
>>
>>3228517
That uses dosbox, you're better off taking the id1 folder from the GOG install and using Quakespasm or Darkplaces.
>>
>>3228481
>I don't understand what open source is
>>
>>3228407
Use a source port. But yea its alright but my main problem was that it was extremely short. The expansions were really good too and made up for the original campaign.

I personally liked Quake 2 better. I think its more nostalgia in this case. When I first played 2 years ago, it was a breath of fresh air with the sci-fi story as compared to the grim gothic feeling of both Quake and Doom.
>>
>>3229056
When I played Quake 2 years ago*
>>
Yes, the official mission packs are phenomenal as well. Probably even better than the original game imo.
>>
>>3228517
Quake 1 is a must play if you ask me.
Wherever you get them make sure you get the OSTS for Quake 1&2.
I believe GOG at least gives you them.
You'll likely have to use a source port for the modern features.
Darkplaces is a popular choice and good if you like visual options but it is 'unfaithful' so many say but it has a lot of options.
Quakespasm and DirectQ are really good faithful ports.

Things to note:
if you play on Darkplaces you may want to add this to autoexec.cfg:
sv_gameplayfix_droptofloorstartsolid 1

Also if you use Quakespasm you may notice it has a missing rune glitch, which means runes from your inventory may be removed while you play the game. To fix this just type:
impulse 11
into the console as needed to replaced lost runes.
>>
>>3229662
>Also if you use Quakespasm you may notice it has a missing rune glitch

That's been an issue since actual vanilla Quake. It's not limited to just Quakespasm, either.
>>
>>3228481
Well, he's not wrong. Quake on DOSBOX runs like dick.
>>
Is quake multiplayer pretty much dead? Anyone on /vr/ wanna make a quake server sometime?
>>
>>3230338
Isn't Quake World still played at QuakeCon I think?
>>
>>3228469
the original exes work just fine
>>
>>3230406
Yeah, but I'm talking regular pubic servers. It seems the only way to do any multiplayer is to be involved in the competitive scene, which isn't even much left to begin with.
>>
>>3229662
I never understood how things like Darkplaces is 'unfaithful'. Its just adding a bit of eye candy but not changing the gameplay. I never really see how the purists see it. If an ancient game engine could be pushed to be better without ruining the glorious gameplay that is Quake then what does it matter?
>>
>>3228535
No, you put Quakespasm in your existing Quake dir. Why would you do it the other way around? Then you have two Quake installations with two different config files. That's lunacy when you can run both from one place and they do not interfere with each other.
>>
>>3229725
True, so keep an eye out in whatever case
glquake and darkplaces are the only source ports in memory I haven't encountered it.

>>3230927
I'm not 100% sure on every change but the game does have compatibility issues on older mods and mission packs if you don't use some of the game play fixes.
The one I listed is the only one that I actually needed for the core game and mission packs 1 and 2. The key won't spawn in 2 maps if the sv command is not used.

I personally don't dislike it, though I wish the old weapon bobbing made an appearance and some of the gameplay fixes had options to be activated from the menu like in the Doom port GZDoom.
>>
Quake 1's campaign is GOAT and the best out of all the SP campaigns that iD has made.
>>
>>3231124
pretty much this.
>>
>>3229075
>Probably even better than the original game imo.
Fucking hell, your opinion is trash then.
>>
>>3228407
>Whatever else may be said about Quake II, one thing is certain: It is the only first-person shooter to render the original Quake entirely obsolete.
by Vince Broady on December 19, 1997
>>
>>3228469
Don't do this if you're on a toaster. WinQuake and GLQuake might legitimately be a buggy mess on modern systems, but they're hell of a lot faster than any source port I know.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.