[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the fuck did Final Fantasy games name their ice princess
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: Shiva.jpg (685 KB, 2052x2679) Image search: [Google]
Shiva.jpg
685 KB, 2052x2679
Why the fuck did Final Fantasy games name their ice princess summon after this dude? The most they have in common is they're both blue.

If given the option in game I always renamed Shiva to Freyja. It just seems more appropriate.
>>
>>3227851
>The most they have in common is they're both blue.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's as far as their thought-process went. Wouldn't be the first time such a thing happened in nip land
>>
>>3227851
Final Fantasy takes a very fast-and-loose approach with almost all of its mythological appropriations. Japan has a tendency to take "what sounds cool" over "what makes sense."
>>
>>3227851
That's what smt is for my nigga.
(mostly) accurate representations of different mythologies
>>
>>3227867
I'm aware of this weird jap sensibility, but at least Ifrit, Bahamut, Ramuh, and others match up somewhat.
>>
>>3227851
It's not based on the actual mythological deity, but rather the Dungeons & Dragons interpretation. Same with Efreet, Bahamut, Tiamat, etc. FF1's bestiary is almost exclusivly taken from D&D.
>>
>>3227904
The D&D interpretation of Shiva was actually fairly faithful to the Hindu pantheon, though.

In it, he is a proficient, 4-armed swordsman with a bow that shoots curses and three guardian serpents wrapped around him. This doesn't sound much like the FF Shiva.
>>
>>3227851
Shiva -> Shiver

Because she's ice elemental

And Ice makes you cold.
>>
>>3227897
>Bahamut
>Ramuh
>match up

El oh el. Bahamut is originally a giant fish. Ramuh is a mispronunciation of Rama, which is not an old man with lightning.
>>
>>3227851
>why do pirates always take a Hindu Gods name in vain by saying "Shiva me timbers"
>>
File: darknesses.jpg (82 KB, 650x440) Image search: [Google]
darknesses.jpg
82 KB, 650x440
>>3227969
>Bahamut is originally a giant fish.
My whole life has been a lie...
>>
How is Freyja appropriate for an ice princess?
>>
>>3227969
That was why in IV, Ramuh was, in fact, Indra (who also did not look like an old man, but was at least a thunder god).

Bahamut not being a dragon is... somewhat debatable, since 'dragon' didn't mean then what it means now. It's a bunch of looping nonsense to bother trying to explain it though.
>>
>>3227991
Literally the exact opposite of frigid, fucked pretty much anything that wasn't Loki or a nigger deity
>>
>>3227991
>>3228020
Bear with me, I can't think of any goddess who shoots snow or ice from her fingertips. Freyja is basically the norse Aphrodite/Diana (rough comparison.) At least she's representively a woman. Scandinavia is a lot colder than India too.
>>
>>3227851
I wonder curry rapists ever beat a squaresodt dev to death for eating beef?
>>>/pol/
>>
>>3227991
>>3228045

This. Skadi would be a better choice.
>>
>>3227991
Wowowow
>>
>>3228020
>fucked pretty much anything that wasn't Loki

Her loss.
>>
>>3228456
>Skadi
>Goddess of Skiing.
No thanx.
>>
>>3228456
Ironic because Skadi is usually a high level ice demon/persona in SMT
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.