[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I would like to replay Rayman 1 (on a PC) for some nostalgia.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8
File: Untitled-6.png (63 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-6.png
63 KB, 200x200
I would like to replay Rayman 1 (on a PC) for some nostalgia. What would be the best way to go around doing this?
>>
emulate ps1 version
>>
>>3226193

I'm sorry, but because of reasons it really has to be the PC version.
>>
>>3226205
Go build a DOS computer. Otherwise good luck. It doesn't run in a virtual machine or dosbox or wine last I checked. Not properly anyways.
>>
Emulate the PS1 version. It's an excellent port.
>>
>>3226213
It works on Dosbox, I tested
>>
>>3226180
Rayman Optimum v.1.40
>>
Buy it on GoG
>>
File: cake.png (206 KB, 400x352) Image search: [Google]
cake.png
206 KB, 400x352
Get Rayman Forever from GoG. It has the original Rayman 1 plus Rayman Gold, with extra levels for the hardcore platformers and a level editor. Works on Win7.
>>
>>3226180
I just recently acquired a retro PC and I also play Rayman on it but my shitty video card chugs with the 2D and my Pentium II is real loud. I also have one of those goofy cords that run all the way from the onboard sound and to the CD drive but I only get sound effects on one speaker and music on the other. It's way easier to just emulate the PS1 version seeing as I have a controller that'll work with it. There's also DOSBox.

also look into Rayman Gold
>>
>>3226229
>>3226238
>>3226253
>>3226261

Thank you.
>>
File: BAND LAND MY NIGGER.png (32 KB, 231x214) Image search: [Google]
BAND LAND MY NIGGER.png
32 KB, 231x214
>>3226275
np
>>
File: flower.jpg (17 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
flower.jpg
17 KB, 225x225
>>3226229
… without musics.
>>
>>3226180
>>3226205
I hope you're aware that the PC version is slightly different and the PS1 version is regarded as the most definitive version, completely unrelated to any console bias and sales figures.
>>
>>3227671
>the PS1 version is regarded as the most definitive version
new to me. Last I gave it a try, it felt all kinds of wrong and incomplete compared to the DOS version
>>
>>3227671
Jaguar version is the definitive Rayman, though.
>>
>>3227693
I almost forgot about the Jaguar and I don't disagree. Between the PS1 version and the Jaguar version, it's a matter of trade offs. I definitely would not play the PC version.
>>
>>3227693
why?
>>
>>3227714
No loadtimes, no slowdowns, better grafics, more responsive controls.
>>
>>3227719
sounds like the DOS version, so far
>>
http://www.gamezero.com/team-0/articles/head_head/rayman/

Saturn version is the best.
>>
>>3227642
Funny thing, my works with music but no sound effects
>>
>>3227756
>PlayStation's cinemas are much cleaner and also full screen
PlayStation confirmed cìñèmâ
>>
>>3228386
Well, it did have its own movie decoder built into the hardware, so...
>>
>>3228957
the PS, and really all its successors, is primarily a media playback machine. It can do games, but it's not purpose built for them
>>
File: batmancandlejack.jpg~c200.jpg (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
batmancandlejack.jpg~c200.jpg
6 KB, 200x200
>>3228969
It functions as a Playstation game player and a music player that requires a TV. A function that also existed on the Sega CD mind you.
>>
>>3226213
>DOS
It was released for Windows, you baka. I used to have it.
>>
>>3229040
It was?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/rayman/techinfo

Oh nvm. Will this run on Windows 8? I'm guessing not.
>>
>>3229043
DOSBox works fine for it, Windows versions of DOS games are usually more hassle than gain
>>
>>3229043
>>3229040
*shakes head* No, it's definitely a DOS game. This is actually one of those games similar to Tomb Raider in that the thing actually is a DOS executable, but the devs certified that it will run in Windows 9x without any problems.

Remember that Rayman came out in 1995 when Windows 95 was just brand new and almost all software still required DOS or Windows 3.x to run. It wasn't until the following year that you actually could go in a store and see a significant amount of Windows 9x software on the shelves.
>>
>>3229043
The Gog release works fine for me in Windows 7, 8, and 10
>>
>>3229049
Unless it's X-COM because the Collector's Edition fixes most of the bugs from the DOS version and also adds a new "feature" with the Blaster Bomb waypoint bug that lets you cheat. (aliens can't fire BBs up a grav lift at you).
>>
>>3229062
It's probably set up for DOSBox because I checked and no, Rayman definitely wasn't a Windows game.
>>
>>3226213
If it doesn't work right on DOSBox, it's most likely because you're using a cracked abandonware copy that could have been modified or is missing components. You should use an ISO image instead.
>>
>>3226180
Rayman Optimum. http://raymanpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9466
>>
>>3229231
>linking to raymanpc
ew
>>
>>3229238
got any actual reason, or just plain shitposting?
>>
>>3227642
>>3228282
I recall having sound issues with this game in 2000.
>>
>>3229257
Too many underaged users on that site.
>>
>>3229310
can't handle the temptation? Thought about seeking help?
>>
>>3229074
It definitely did get packaged with DOS box, I was just confirming it worked in Windows 7, 8, and 10
>>
>>3229470
is there any case where a game in DOSBox worked on one host but not another? DOSBox as emulator should be quite OS agnostic, no?
>>
>playing rayman on dos
are you retarded. you'll be missing out on that glorious soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgvxtipiYY4
>>
>>3229717
the one that's on the CD? Sounds exactly like what you linked
>>
>>3226280
Is that from in game? Looks good as fuck
>>
>>3229812
you're getting over 50% less music than the console versions

>The MS-DOS version of Rayman had the music and backing SFX tracks for each world combined into one CD audio track, which was repeated throughout most levels within those worlds; including the data track, this made for a total of 20 or 25 (multi-language versions) tracks. In contrast, the PlayStation and Saturn versions contained each track as a separate CD audio track, and changed the track played depending on the sub-level and its intended atmosphere; this totalled 51 tracks.
>>
>>3229825
it's one of the many static loading screens, a drawing
>>
>>3229826
That's kind of the opposite with Garfield Caught In The Act which has much more music than the Genesis original.
>>
>>3229838
Yeah, I know. It looks good.
>>
File: 1463042744963.jpg (45 KB, 452x553) Image search: [Google]
1463042744963.jpg
45 KB, 452x553
Did anyone else ever a strong urge to kill those weird pink things Rayman had to rescue?
>>
I take it the PAL PlayStation version is slower again than the NTSC version?
Is there any slowdown in either one?
Coming from the DOS version, is there anything else I need to be aware of?
>>
>>3230975
>PAL
Throw it in the trash.
>>
>>3230975
The DOS version has a 50Hz and a 60Hz mode, and the developer is european. Is there a chance the PAL version actually runs at the same speed? Seems like the dev would compensate for the different refresh rates one way or another.
>>
I like the PS1 version the best

but I gotta say Mr Dark's Dare on Sega Saturn is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGMWzEJhlJg
>>
>>3230975
>>3230984
what about resolution? PAL and NTSC running differently there? One having a larger viewport than the other?
>>
>>3230985
I hate it. All the marginally different versions are the primary reason I haven't played the game in forever. Which version is the right one? Don't even care for best, just want the right one, the one that reflects the closest what the devs wanted
>>
>>3230994
I'd argue the PS1 version is the most *complete*.

The Saturn version would be best but it's missing little obligatory animations like Rayman's pieces coming together at the start of a level, fogging effects in a couple of levels, drum beat sounds in a few levels, Rayman's end-of-level animation being in sync with the music, etc. Also the level backgrounds for some reason are swappd around in some levels between the PS1 and Saturn version. I'd argue that the PS1 version's backgrounds better suit the levels.

But on the other hand the Saturn version has more animation on the title screen, butterflies that come in multiple colors instead of all blue, Rayman's body properly rotates when he's crouching up/down slopes, some transition animations between levels and of course, way more awesome background animation in Mr Dark's Dare.

There are some other minor differences too. The Saturn version's sound effects have been up-pitched an octave due to the console lacking ADPCM sound compression.

This is definitely one of the hardest choices because both consoles have strengths and weaknesses. But I think the PS1 version just gives me the feeling that it's the final definitive version, the most complete edition of what they wanted to put in, in spite of missing some cool *special effects* on Saturn
>>
>>3231002
which still leaves me with pal vs ntsc. pal has "only" 50hz, but it's plenty, and if the devs accounted for it, it has the right speed too. on the upside, pal has the bigger picture in terms of pixels, which can translate into a slightly larger viewport

by the way, has there been any rayman repackaging for dos that picked up the better parts of saturn and psx? First time I tried the psx image I was unreasonably bothered by the lack of loading animations. It felt like the psx version was missing something. I heard about psx having the better soundtrack though. Given the nature of the dos engine I'd expect it to pick up the saturn and psx features over time, including the soundtrack
>>
Why is everyone saying the PC/MS-DOS version of this game is missing music? I played this game on Windows, just listened to the full OST on Youtube, and am sure I remember hearing every single track on the PC CD-ROM version that I played back in the day.

Or am I just missing something?
>>
>>3231164
>>3229826
>had the music and backing SFX tracks for each world combined into one CD audio track, which was repeated throughout most levels within those worlds
The claim here is roughly that (all numbers pulled out of my ass) the PlayStation version has 5 or 6 tracks for the levels of that musical land, for example, and will use them individually, different tracks for different musical land levels, while on the DOS version they're all lumped together as a single audio track that is used throughout that whole land. It cuts a bit into the flexibility of the soundtrack

I cannot confirm or deny that statement.
>>
File: 1459174580141.gif (144 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1459174580141.gif
144 KB, 640x480
>>3226261
>I just recently acquired a retro PC
>a retro PC
>retro

nigga, it's called grandma's old worthless piece of shit packard bell
>>
So I downloaded that Rayman Optimum, and the game seems to be running fine.

Where can I change the settings though? I could change them the very first time I started it up, but not anymore. The Rayman game is automatically linked to DOSbox, but where can I find the settings for it? Whenever I click on it the game just starts up, but I can't really do anything else.

Yes, I am not good with computers. Please help.
>>
So in conclusion:

Rayman Gold > Jaguar Rayman > Saturn Rayman > PSX Rayman > DOS Rayman
>>
Get either the original PC port or Rayman Forever, the latter is also on GOG

Rayman Forever has a level editor and a bunch of bundled custom levels along with the main game + some neat Rayman 2 preview stuff but they had to remove some music tracks from the main game to make room for those things, if that bothers you play the original
>>
Emulate the PS1 version.

Seriously. The GoG version is a broken mess. Any other version has changes to the levels/music etc. PS1 is the original vision of the game is supposed to be.
>>
>>3231404
I can confirm it because I bought the PC version on GoG and thats what it did. Absolute trash.
>>
>>3231404
I had the DOS version of Rayman as a child, and I can confirm that yes, this is what the game does.
>>
>>3232356
>>3232387
thanks, folks. No snark.
I started playing the pal ps version and it's quite a nice game, much better than I remember. Probably in part because I use a different emulator. Using an arcade stick for now, but I'll see for how long
>>
>>3231429
It is a Packard Bell. Happy?

what a useless fucking post
>>
>>3229315
Best savage I've seen all month
>>
>>3233278
>Packard Hell
Someone's not gonna happy and it's sure not me.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.