[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My cheap shitty upscaler stretches out video from my Saturn,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2
File: shit.jpg (44 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
shit.jpg
44 KB, 640x640
My cheap shitty upscaler stretches out video from my Saturn, so every time I play on my Saturn I have to go into my monitor's settings and manually switch it to 4:3 fill.

Is there a better way to do this? My raspberry pi actually does aspect ratios properly, so I have to switch it back to 16:9 after I play on my Saturn.

Instead of spending $400 on a Framemeister, I'm holding out for the OSSC. Do I just have to deal with my shitty upscaler until the OSSC is ready?
>>
Framemeister is around $300-$350.

OSSC is going to be $250+ shipped. For the assembled one. No sound over HDMI too. Getting that will add to the expense. May need a power supply also.

Both have positive and cons. Framemeister still the best scaler out there. OSSC may past the XRGB-3 as the best line doubler.
>>
>>3222292
>OSSC is going to be $250+ shipped
Wonder what kind of assembly is involved with the DIY kits? Hell it's probably a FPGA, which I know nothing about anyway let alone mounting and programming the thing. Despite the price tag I'll probably get one or the other eventually.
>>
>>3222280
Play on a real CRT via composite/S-video. Problem solved faggot.
>>
>>3222335
I haven't looked into much because I assume you need hot air. Which I don't have. Uses some kind of bga solder job.
>>
File: ADTWO21.png (32 KB, 640x320) Image search: [Google]
ADTWO21.png
32 KB, 640x320
>>3222340
>>
>>3222280
>Is there a better way to do this?
>>3222340
>Play on a real CRT via composite/S-video.
>>3222407
it is the final solution
>>
>>3222280
>upscalers
Barfs
>>
>>3222414
They guy wants to play his saturn on an hdtv.

Buying a CRT will not let him play his saturn on his hdtv.

Problem not solved.
>>
>>3222292
>$400
Here's probably talking Aussie dollars or something
Getting sound will only require a pass through so not much expense there I suppose
Does the ossc do scan lines?
>>
>>3222432
>Does the ossc do scan lines?
Yeah as far as I know. The preliminary pics look beautiful.
>>
>>3222432
>Getting sound will only require a pass through so not much expense there I suppose
Like $35 for a audio hdmi combiner from monoprice.
>Does the ossc do scan lines?
Yes
>>
I'm waiting on the next upscaler to be released, I bought a Framemeister and it had terrible visual noise on arrival, there's no way i'm getting another one.
>>
>>3222280
Get a CRT you knob.
>>
>>3222340
Why not via RGB?
>>
>>3222280
Did you look into Mimo Genius II? I'm interested in it because it also works as downscaler.
http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/mimo.html
Anyone here owns it?
>>
>>3222493
I'd send it back if I were you or use csync
>>
>>3222280
gbs 8220 modded with a scart and ebay slg, look at some vids online its quite good
>>
>>3222280
>>3222292

Not trying to hijack the thread but how is the RGB Scart input through the Framemeister? Is it really worth 300 bucks or should a cheaper upscaler do the trick? I see a lot of upscalers on Ebay for less than 100 but I have no idea if they are reliable or if they are usually like OP's situation.

>>3222340
>>3223442

It must be hard to live to live with such low reading comprehension. Sometimes it's not worth it to get a CRT because they either already have a TV and don't feel like using several at a time or because it simply takes so much space. That and carrying one around with a large screen is pretty heavy. CRT is also what I usually prefer but even then you can't rely on them forever while LCD/HDTV units will still be around and so will upscalers.
>>
>>3224140
The Japanese scalers use JP-21. Anything else is trash. Some people are fine with trash though.

If you come to it asking "Is $300 too much" then you're probably not the target market and young. $300 is a bargain for this kind of scaler to the people who have been messing with this stuff for years.
>>
>>3224140
Got one, don't cheap, before doing that I'd try to get a good ole CRT TV first then if you can't or really, really want to play on your lcd go for the framemeinster, the cheap upscalers are mostly hit or miss shit.

I don't want to sound like a moron but really, if you have already a CRT stick to it, you are going to get the best cost-effective experience, if not, framemeister or bust. It's amazing when you know how to tweak it but it's 300$.

And I know what I mean I've got one, tried to go cheap and failed.
>>
>>3222280
Could your TV be the problem. A 4:3 input signal will stretch on a TVs 16x9 mode. You'll have to switch it to 4:3 input anyway (if tv doesn't automatically)! Your raspberry Pi is constantly outputting 16x9 even if you are playing an emulated 4:3 game.
>>
>>3224140
By the way, Saturn and framemeister doesn't get along very well, saturn games have a nasty habit of changing refresh rates and resolution on the fly and framemeister really, really hates that.

Again, personal experience with my PAL saturn and my meister.
>>
>>3224160
you running the latest firmware? did it help?
>>
>>3224169

Holy shit there's a new one!!.

Thanks anon.
>>
>>3224180
Np, I read it should help but it also depends on how quick your tv/monitor is to switch so its very ymmv
>>
>>3222340
>composite
No fuck composite
>>
>>3224147
>>3224153

Can't say I'm young but I can't afford much for the moment. I got another CRT recently so it's more of a near-future decision, prolly a year or 4. Thanks for the advice!

>>3224160

I don't have a Saturn yet but I will keep it in mind when it ever gets to that.
>>
>>3224160
>doesn't get along with framemeister
>emulation is still poor
Saturn is truly the "buy a CRT, fucker" system
>>
>>3224442
XRGB-3.
>>
>>3224442
>>3224442
All the systems are, good CRT > Framemeister It's not the tweaking but also the input lag, you need to combo the input lag with your monitor or TV or you'll start noticing when you play twitchy games (hello star soldier!!).

I don't have the space for a CRT right now but if I could I'd try to fish a Sony Trinitron or another brand CRT as cheap as I can and then the upscaler.

The thing is amazing, really it is but maybe 300$ dollaridoos are a bit too much. For me: totally worth it.
>>
>>3224492
>300$
Currency goes before the value, underage.

Lag matters very little.
>>
>>3224356
Last advice: Cables, if you go with the meister get *good* cables, I'm in yurop so RGB/Scart is granted out of the box for most systems (the catch is I have to mod them to get pseudo 60hz), if you are murican:

1º) Mod your consoles to get RGB or at least good composite mmmonkey is your new favorite website. Totally worth it.

2º)Good cables, good cables, the ones sold in retrocables. When you play on a LCD you are going to notice every pixel, jaggie and jailbars you didn't in your CRT.

If you wanted to learn basic electronics (solder things and buy shit on spec) now it's your time.

Did I told you to get the best cables you can afford/build?.
>>
>>3224495
>Lag matters very little.
Top in on top of the one in a shitty LCD and you'll see if does matter or not.

>Currency goes before the value, underage.

Probably I'm way more older than you, but thanks for the input.
>>
>>3224512
>shitty LCD
Nice opinion.
>Probably I'm way more older than you
And the age war augment. Confirmed underage.
>>
>>3224495
So you usually write USD 300 and say dollars 300?
>>
>>3224812
Do you pronounce punctuation marks?

So something like this "Do you pronounce punctuation marks question mark".
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.