[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are 1 and 3 worth playing through? Would you consider this a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: RSLogo.png (83 KB, 450x223) Image search: [Google]
RSLogo.png
83 KB, 450x223
Are 1 and 3 worth playing through? Would you consider this a good series of games?
>>
3 is amazing. Cannot recommend it enough. Haven't played the others but I am excited for the mobile release of RS2 which is apparently the best in the series
>>
If you are going to play the first one then play the PS2 remake. Yes it is a good series of games that reaches from the Gameboy and onward. My favorites are Final Fantasy Legend II, SaGa Frontier, and Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song.

The mechanics aren't traditional JRPG mechanics so that can turn people off from the series.
>>
Don't grind. Don't fucking grind. Don't do it! Are you listening to me, you little punk! Don't fucking grind!
>>
>>3220864
What if I gt lost? I tend to do this in most JRPG and end up being overleveled
>>
>>3220864
How come? Do enemies scale with your level?
>>
>>3221045
There are no levels and enemies don't scale to you. Some of the games in the SaGa series have something called battle rank which can increase by the number of battles you do. The thing is that if you fight weak enemies chances are you won't gain a lot of stats or learn a lot of skills from enemies so you end up weak, and when the battle rank ticks over to the next rank you will find it impossible to progress because the new enemies that are in battles will start wiping the floor with your party.

Yes you can fight enemies as you see them, but for the love of god just don't go out killing enemies with the thought of wanting to grind out stats, skills, items, money, or what ever. It won't work out if you don't know when you can do it and you will end up needing to start a fresh file. So stay away from the habit you might have formed from other JRPG's that you can walk around killing enemies, re-enter the area and kill more enemies.
>>
>>3220792
1 is very clunky and frankly, it's ouclassed in everything by the PS2 remake, it's an interesting game since it's very different from the standard console RPG of the time, but most of the stuff is pretry archaic by now and might be very frustrating for people who are new to the series.

3 is possibly one of the best RPG ever even though I personally still prefer 2, the only problem with it is that the successors elaborate on the battle system even more, so if you come from the 5th gen games it might be not as fun to play due to the lack of certain mechanics, it's still a 10/10 game, though not for people who prefer the average FF/DQ style RPG.

Also this>>3220864

Grind is a no no in SaGa unless you already know the game inside out, the more you grind the stronger the enemies get, they get stronger much faster than you do and believe me, even if you manage to have the patience to max out characters' proficiencies even certain normal encounter can still shit on you very easily if they feel like being dicks.

One last thing, Romancing SaGa 2 recently got a remaster for Ios/Android and Vita due to the series 25th anniversary, and the Ios/Android versions are also getting localized, so if you want to try out what is widely considered the best or second best game in the whole series you might want to get it.

If you have any other doubts ask away, it's always good to see someone interested in the series.
>>
>>3221136
>it's ouclassed in everything by the PS2 remake

Except the art style.
>>
File: 1453447240331.jpg (55 KB, 500x469) Image search: [Google]
1453447240331.jpg
55 KB, 500x469
>gets hyped for RS2 android release
>realise i have a shitty phone
>>
File: Sifrender.jpg (77 KB, 530x872) Image search: [Google]
Sifrender.jpg
77 KB, 530x872
>>3221159
I like the artstyle, the only thing I don't like is a few redesigns, namely Albert, Miriam, Jamil, Farah and Butcher.

The SD style might put some people off and that is because Yusuke Naora was in charge of that if I'm not mistaken, but it's not that bad really, Sif having her costume changed for god knows what reason was pretty bad though, her redesign concept is much better.
>>
>>3220864
Actually, in 3 there's a spot where you're allowed to grind in Mikael's dungeon and receive no penalties for it, all you get as a reward is tech ups and salves. Still stupid thing to do, though, as there is a dupe trick.
>>
>>3220864
>>3221136
>>3222881

No, you should grind. After you assembled the team you want to bring to the final boss. You need to grind to learn the best techs that have a low probability of sparking. In RS3 if you pick a character with low HP, you'll definitely need to grind, or any boss fight will OHKO you.
>>
>>3222947

Yes, you can grind if you're smart about it and knowledgeable about the series, but if you grind in the standard JRPG fashion you'll get fucked.
>>
>>3221178
>Yusuke Naora

This guy really surprises me, I had no idea he did the fairly mundane (not a bad thing at all) character design of Front Mission 4/5. I can kinda see the sorta odd proportions but he's got range.
>>
>>3221174
You can probably find an old Galaxy for cheap.
>>
File: ReBirth II.png (1 MB, 763x686) Image search: [Google]
ReBirth II.png
1 MB, 763x686
>>3222947
>No, you should grind.
Read the posts again.
And yeah, good luck with that, grinding mindlessly in MS is begging the game to make you restart your file, grinding mindlessly in RomaSaGa 2 means the game will probably become either unwinnable or extremely slow, SaGa Frontier 2 straight doesn't even allow you to grind unless you know when it's time to or when you need to, and if you wanna talk non retro Unlimited makes grinding almost impossible unless you have access to a Tetra Force.

The best plan to get stronger in SaGa games besides the GB trilogy is knowing where to go, what to fight and how and what quests you'd want to take in which order, it's actually extremely easy to get strong without even needing to grind with the exception of a few titles.

Generally, you'd want to grind once you have cleared most of the quests in the game so you don't have to worry about the Battle Rank fucking your game, but then again, NEEDING to grind only applies if you want to have a challenge, like fighting the Destroyer without killing the Noble Demons, 10 Fatestone Saruin and the full powered Egg and maybe if you're too scared of the Seven Heroes and instead of fighting them head on you want to abuse Quicktime, all the rest is more than beatable with just fighting whatever you find during your quests and planning your characters growth.
>>3222974
Naora also did the designs for the characters in Unlimited, he's a fairly versatile guy but he has a kind of particular drawing style that not many like. To be fair, I vastly prefer Kobayashi's style for the series, she's been working on it since the Romancing trilogy and gave the series its modern aesthetic standard, Naora had some really good ideas in terms of characters, like Armic, Ruby, Laura, Platyphyllum and Anzam, but then again, while nice they're too "plain", he lacks the flair and stylistic richness of Kobayashi, at least for me.
>>
>>3222957
RS3 has a different rank up system that makes grinding a lot less punishing than it is in basically any other game that uses the same mechanics. It takes a SHITLOAD of kills to actually rank enemies up in RS3 to the point where you're more likely to fight stronger enemies just from progressing through quests and gaining access to new areas than you are grinding, ranking them up is enemy type specific based on how many of that type you've killed so some may be ranked up and others won't, and almost every major boss in the game needs you to grind your HP up because of their insane AoE damage and the lack of AoE healing outside of breaking healing canes.
>>
>>3223759
>and almost every major boss in the game needs you to grind your HP up because of their insane AoE damage and the lack of AoE healing outside of breaking healing canes.

I don't know about that.

The only one that needs you to have around 500-600 HP or so because of the AoE is Forneus due to Maelstrom being unblockable, extremely strong and having a good chance of knocking out characters on hit, all the other Noble Demons can be countered or neutered given you have the right tools of course, and if you go from the easiest to hardest demon you don't need to grind, just clear each room of their respective dungeon and you'll soon get strong enough to handle them.

Other bosses with dangerous AoE are the Dragon Rulers, which are optional sidequests, Undine&Volcano and I guess Algernon, and except the Dragon Rulers all those bosses can be handled with ease by simply using the right formation to minize damage from the AoE.

Oh, and of course the final boss, though you can beat its normal form feasibly at around 600-700 HP, which would be just the result of natural growth, unless you're using characters like Muse, Tatyana or Sara, all of which have pretty subpar HP growth, the full powered form is another story but if you want to fight it you're obviously looking for a challenge that is outside of the normal game "balance".
>>
>>3221174
bluestacks is a thing
>>
>>3220792
its shit lol
>>
>>3225054
its not
>>
Romancing SaGa 2 is coming to the west next week (26).
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.