[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /vr/ where does a guy go to buy replacement cap kits that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: close-up.jpg (48 KB, 786x526) Image search: [Google]
close-up.jpg
48 KB, 786x526
Hey /vr/ where does a guy go to buy replacement cap kits that aren't shit and learn how to git gud at soldering? Should I just buy a bunch of busted trash in a lot on ebay and practice?

The idea of sending in retro 20 consoles via shipping risking damage in transport.. to professional neckbeards to do it for me at a large cost and then send it back and hope some dipshit at fedex doesn't throw it against a wall doesn't sound appealing.

The only one showing problems are my older Atari systems. The 2600 and the Atari XE. That said its just a matter of time for the rest.
>>
>>3220768
>where does a guy go to buy replacement cap kits
Any capacitor is good these days. Just go to an electronics store and get the ones you need

>how to git gud at soldering
Practice, practice practice. I taught 10 year old kids how to solder in an electronics summer course with these kits and they all got it pretty well.
http://www.amazon.com/Velleman-MK129-Crawling-Microbug/dp/B000TA58HQ#customerReviews
>>
Console5.com has cap kits for many consoles.
They're local for me and have pages on where each cap goes.
>>
Dont buy cap kits unless you want to overpay.

look around to see if you have a local electronics supply store. Buy them there if you do. Way cheaper than online, assuming theyre not completly ripping everyone off, due to the price of caps. That or figure out what you need and buy in bulk, what you need now and extras for later. Shipping kills the usual cheapness of buying online. It sucks needing $2 worth of caps and having to pay $8 for shipping.
>>
>>3220768

>learn how to git gud at soldering?

It's all in the flux, make sure it does not evaporate and you are pretty much safe from cold joints. Heat the soldering point from one direction and apply the solder from the other one. Don't try to liquify the solder with your iron and then apply it to the point, heat the point itself so the solder melts directly there.
Use a flat tip to be able to transfer enough heat to the soldering point, needle tips are a recipe for disaster.
>>
Grab a busted PCB and start desoldering stuff.
>>
>he believes the cap replacement meme
>>
File: SDC10907.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
SDC10907.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1944
>>3220768
I've done a few cap jobs, the biggest being a 1978 technics overhaul. replaced all 45.

It takes time and practice but its one of the easiest soldering jobs, just use desolder wick to remove the old. Stick in the new leads neg- aligned snip the extra. solder on the new spots. Done
>>
File: caplist.jpg (158 KB, 1183x771) Image search: [Google]
caplist.jpg
158 KB, 1183x771
>>3221232
This.

Once you find out the values, I used a place like Mouser, to get them. pretty cheap overall.make a chart if it helps you
>>
>>3221270
....what? Are you seriously implying that faulty capacitors are not a thing?

Let me guess, you think disc rot is a meme and not real too.
>>
>>3221507
Is there any statistic that shows how many consoles broke down through capacitors? I have about 23 consoles from era's 1 to 6 and not ONE has failed me.
>>
>>3221640
See PCE
>>3220774
>>3221232
>>3221246
>>3221251
>>3221270
This is what /vr/ has become.
>>
>>3221232
Electronics supply store? Like Radio Shack...which are all gone?
I was able to find electronics one other place, locally, and they forced buying in bulk, minimum of 100qt of anything.

Suggestions? I'm being serious.

No, cap kits are NOT the most effective way but they're damn simple and more cost/time effective than running around to buy bulk components or desoldering old components (which is handy, yes).
>>
>>3221640
Every Game Gear
The headphone jack on a model 1 genesis gets bad static
The original xbox's capacitor that keeps time leaks.
>>
>>3221640
I hope your solder cracks.
>>
>>3221704
Besides the Game Gear and (early) original Xbox's most consoles don't have any problems with capacitators. I mean if it's obvious thah they ARE faulty or cause problems than I can understand but people are always ready to jump up and recommend it to anyone these days.

>>3221643
Stop being such a stupid shit. There are worse threads on vr like the e-celeb one.
>>
>>3221871
How young are?
>>
>>3221871
This is simply not true.
I have changed caps in 2 game gears, a Nomad, one SNES, my model one Sega CD, PC Engine, and super CD ROM.
>>
I don't really see the reasoning behind replacing all caps arbitrarily (the consumer level caps you can buy will most likely be of worse quality than the factory ones) but caps do go bad and need to be replaced that is fact.
>>
>>3222525
Capacitors are super cheap, so if you're bothering to mail it back and forth and pay labor it makes sense to do them all in one go. If you're doing it yourself, nope.
>>
>>3221640
All capacitators have a shelf life. How long it takes for them to fail depends on alot of things like heat. Electronics can keep function with caps that are out of spec but they can damage components over time and eventually its going to get busted.
>>
>>3223129
Maybe that's the reason than, I don't know how hot it is in America on average for a year but it's pretty cool here.
>>
>>3221680
Radio shack did have them, yes. But they were pretty expensive.

If youre lucky there will be a local electronics hobby shop in your area. Look for something like "electronic parts" on google or the yellow pages. Call them before you travel if theyre more than a few minutes away.

Its possible your local store just sucks if that place is all you have and they only sell in bulk.
In that case, youd be forced to buy online.
And by all means buy a kit if you want and are okay with overpaying.
>>
How do I desolder SMD caps and resistors properly? Any tips or tricks?
I can solder SMD stuff to PCBs and solder wires to SMD components, but I have no idead how to desolder.
>>
>>3223939
Best to chop them off most the time. Usually have glue under them that makes desoldering with an iron not really doable.

Don't use hot air.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.