[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is this game so goddamn good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: hqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
Why is this game so goddamn good?
>>
what
>>
The GBC port is decent? I could see it I guess.
>>
>>3219352
It's Zelda with a more complex plotline full of cyberpunk and time-travelling and japan, more fluid controls, multiple time periods, and great graphics and music.
>>
>>3219346
Magic
>>
bumping. More people must hear of this game.
>>
Romero uploaded it on his website for everyone to download for free.
>>
Is it really that good, or are you just blinded by the novelty of playing an "actually good" Daikatana game?
>>
>>3219346
>Kemco
Let's hope it's better than Shadowgate for the NES.
>>
>>3222332
Shadowgate on the NES kicks ass, what are you talking about?
>>
>>3222338
The music is ace but, come on, the puzzles are shite.
>>
>>3222338

Pretty much this. If you didn't like Shadowgate there's something wrong with you.
>>
>>3222350
Yeah because it was so obvious the sequence for those levers was the brickwork pattern in the Sphinx room. Just like it was so clear that you were meant to yell TERRA TERRAKK in that room with the globe to make it open.

And basically all the puzzles were just this arbitrary and dumb. Not to mention all the deaths that had no warning.

The game was shit.
>>
>>3222373
Not to mention that ridiculous weapon you had to assemble out of the most random items from your inventory for the final battle.
>>
>>3222332
It wasn't by Kemco, they only published the game. The obscure developer Will created it.

Man, nobody knows shit about this game. Has anyone even played it here?
>>
>>3219346
Nintendo does what Ionstorm doesn't
>>
I like the PC_ version a lot.
>>
>>3219346
That's why I love the Gb/Gbc library. It has so many hidden gems that it just makes it exciting to explore for new treasures among those obscure games.
>>
>>3219346
This is bait right?

The game isnt any good and yes I played it through and still have it.

This is just out of my memory but
like Zelda is a bit wrong, you can only attack enemies, there are no pots or anything else to destroy.

There is no big exploration, sure you can find weapons and healing items which you will need cause there is no auto heal bed or some other location and very limited in game anyway.

80% or were it even all of them, cant remember follow the simple formula of rushing at you like zombies.

Your weapon are not really different expect in damage output and on some enemies more effective, forgot how it was with ranged weapons but those think have even ammo needs, ammo which you wont find easily and anyway are weak and against zombie rushing enemies useless mostly.

Expect the story which only liked cause at that time played was a teen without any experience anyway, cant remember a single good thing which really made me have fun with it....................
>>
>>3223516
>there are no pots
That's the most minuscule complaint I've ever heard concerning a game.

>no big exploration
Yes, there isn't, but the cool thing is because of its linearity there's very detailed backgrounds with almost every room being different from the previous one - there isn't just a single tileset. Like I said, the game has great graphics and presentation.

>80% or were it even all of them, cant remember follow the simple formula of rushing at you like zombies
I don't know what you mean here. If you're saying the AI is simplistic, what do you expect it's a GBC game?

>complains about weapons
You have over a dozen weapons which do range in ability and to be honest this is a more simplistic game than Zelda which doesn't make it bad, as it excels in many other areas due to its linearity.
>>
>>3219346
its shit
>>
>>3225065
its not
>>
>>3225065
its not
>>
>>3219346
It's only okay at best
>>
>>3224063
- the movement speed of you and most enemies is not far apart, that means you cant easily run away and need to fight

- rushing means, they really straight out move to your position, so the only thing you can do is swing your sword again and again which pushes them back and best push them against a wall and swing your sword again and again, enemies have a quite of life but first need to push them against a wall to kill them effectively, also.a enemy pattern is also a lot more easy to programm than you may believe

- enemies dont drop items, you dont want to fight them but they reappear

- limited healing, no beds or anything so your option is just to use healing items,which you wont find so often or fight through lets call it the next checkpoint where you get recovered to full health

- there are multiple chars but main chara being able to use all weapons while other two can only use part of it

- platforming sections suck think there was also problems with jumping over projectiles, jump to short, maybe the jump animation but really had problems jumping over alot of what the enemy shot

- detailed backgrounds and being different from the last one .......... the game is very short, feel free to correct me, you start in future with that whatwasname corporation building, ancient greek or something with that temple, pest plagued middle age, future again again, so those 4, the game has not many locations though yes the graphics are nice to look at i suppose

- over a dozen weapons...... eh, like said virtually the same, its like giving link 5 starter swords, merely changing, name shape and damage output, there is no real reason why you would later still need those or want those cause those older weapons were useless at end, same with guns but guns had another problem, forgot if they had no knockback or shoot at a rushing enemy who may then get pushed back diagnonally ... either way the enemy rushes at you and your gun is useless

- music is okay
>>
Game Boy ports in general are really fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3efdlOnFyTU
>>
>>3226517
except the bad ones.

Is Daikatana for GBC a port? Given the different capabilities of the platforms it strikes me as more like a new game, with new gameplay, "just" re-using existing setting and plot, and maybe some mechanics
>>
>>3226517
Just looked at the video, and I'd say what I mentioned in >>3226521 applies as well. The "ported" game is an FPS, the "port" is a belt scroller. These have different mechanics, pacing, visuals. What remains is the setting, maybe plot, and some general mechanics. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, far from it. But if you need to re-model over half of the actual game, I don't think calling it a port is doing it justice.

On that note, since you mentioned quite a few are fantastic: Part of the reason is precisely that you can't just port them and strip some features that won't fit. The GB is such a different platform, you need to go back to the drawing board and think about some of the basics. That alone can prevent a certain quality drop. The game ends up being more like a re-interpretation, than a straight up port.
>>
>>3222380
>random
Did you ever open a single scroll?
>>
>>3226517
That's some Codemasters sounding music right there.
>>
>>Not always the case though. Take Azure Dreams GBC for example.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.