[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Will there ever be a chance of seeing a graphically updated donkey
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12
Will there ever be a chance of seeing a graphically updated donkey kong country 2 (or 1 or 3)? Gameplay would be identical, but I'd love to see updated 3D rendered backgrounds and sprites.
>>
File: treetoptowndetail.jpg (119 KB, 951x295) Image search: [Google]
treetoptowndetail.jpg
119 KB, 951x295
Just use a CRT TV, they still look stunning when the resolution isn't stretched to hell by modern screens.
>>
File: DKCDonkeyKong.png (259 KB, 360x479) Image search: [Google]
DKCDonkeyKong.png
259 KB, 360x479
>>3219219
>It looks great when it's blurry!
You people never give up.

Pixels as is look better already than it ever would in HD. Those models were not attractive in high res.
>>
I doubt it. Nintendo typically only does remakes / updated ports when it's relatively easy for them. All the original uncompressed assets from those games are long gone.
>>
File: dkc2 2.png (78 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
dkc2 2.png
78 KB, 1920x1080
>>3219235

>prefering pixelated garbage to a slightly blurred image
>>
>>3219214
A compromise: how about we grab a ROM of the internet and charge you $8 for it
>>
>>3219250
We can never see eye to eye. That looks far better to me than on any CRT. I know you feel the polar opposite though. I will never understand how you can stand to look at those things, and you will never understand why I think that looks so much better.
>>
>>3219250
SNES stupidly weird 8:7 low resolution upscales like shit.
>>
>>3219256

It really just a matter of personal taste.
>>
>>3219235
>blurry

Anon, really, try being less underage on purpose and actually try to use a CRT TV once in your life. Reminder you are NOT supposed to look at the screen at 5 cm of distance.
The filters you know from emulators are nothing like the real thing.
>>
>>3219309
>underage
I'm one of the oldest regular posters here. I've played on many many CRTs in my day. But hey, thanks for trying the old "I disagree with you so I'll call you a kid because I have nothing else of value to say."
>>
The original assets are gone, so all models and textures would have to be remade from scratch. What's really sad is that we could've gotten DKC4 on the DS if men in suits hadn't decided putting out a shoddy Diddy Kong Racing port was a much better idea.
>>
>>3219372
Why did they get rid of it? The files couldnt have taken up that much space
>>
>>3219309
You people are too hung up on the type of TV you're using when what really matters are the cables.
>>
>>3219718
Rare made a lot of games all the time, and storage was a hell of a lot more expensive in the mid nighties than it is these days. Not even the source code survived so they had to reimplement the engine for the GBA games, which is the main reason the physics are a bit "off" there.

It's a shame really, I also would've loved a port of the original trilogy with higher resolution renders, but it's likely never going to happen when that'd require as much effort as creating a brand new game.

If Nintendo put Retro Studios back to pumping out mediocre 3D Metroids and contracted Playtonic to work on "New Donkey Kong Country", I think fans of both series would be a lot better off.
>>
>>3219757
I agree. Retro's take on the DKC unfortunately wasn't well executed.
>>
>>3219721
>you people

who?

Also, both things are important. in reality most games in the 80s and 90s were made with RF in mind, not even composite.
>>
>>3219841
You know who, CRT fags.
>>
>>3219858
Stop with the boogeymen, you're a grown up.
>>
>>3219778
>Retro's take on the DKC unfortunately wasn't well executed.
How so? They are usually regarded as one of the best platformers of the latest generations.
>>
>>3219219
It looks amazing on a modern 1080p tv with RGB. Crystal clear.
>>
File: mario on LCD.jpg (197 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
mario on LCD.jpg
197 KB, 1920x1080
>>3219963
>>
File: 11321_back.jpg (123 KB, 640x466) Image search: [Google]
11321_back.jpg
123 KB, 640x466
>>3219841
>made with RF IN MIND
>MADE WITH THIS IN MIND, THAT IN MIND

The guy at ID Software was programming on a fucking 1080p CRT TV in the mid 90s.

He wasn't making his fucking games with RF in mind, and no one else was you fucking idiot. Stop fucking pretending this.

They made their games in the highest possible quality and couldn't help the INTERFERENCE that signals and shitty scanlines produced.

This is why PIXEL ART and game box art always included actual developer intent.

I know it's hard to see at this size, but the developer's had, you know, screenshots on early games.

Guess fucking what?
Those screenshots are:
NOT RF
and have
NO SCANLINES FROM A CRT
>>
>>3219969
Nice.

NES RGB at 1080p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC4o9NayG3c
>>
>>3219973

>this one nerd from id soft made a Doom .wad with a silly oversized CRT TV in the mid 90s, isn't he so wacky? bazinga!

Shup up nerd, you're mad as fuck.

Yes developers made games with RF in mind because that's what most people were using, deal with it.
>>
File: Sony Trinitron.jpg (151 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Sony Trinitron.jpg
151 KB, 960x720
>>3219973
How can you say that? Clearly this game was made with RF in mind. Attached is a screen of DK on my Trinitron
>>
File: Snes9x Screenshot.jpg (153 KB, 960x715) Image search: [Google]
Snes9x Screenshot.jpg
153 KB, 960x715
>>3220029
Versus this screenshot from snes92. Look at those washed out colors. Absolutely disgusting
>>
File: 1460157089692.png (2 MB, 1288x989) Image search: [Google]
1460157089692.png
2 MB, 1288x989
>>3219975
This youtuber has no idea how to use a xrgb mini properly. Setting it to 1080 fucks up the scanlines for 240p and that filter holy fuck
>>
>>3219880
That honor should be given to the recent adventures of Rayman which are actually much closer to the DKC style of platforming. The DKCR games have awful controls and physics, but their biggest sin is the poor and totally forgettable level design.
>>
File: Scalers.jpg (128 KB, 512x512) Image search: [Google]
Scalers.jpg
128 KB, 512x512
>>3219975
what the fuck is that, that filter is absolutely awful.

NES RGB is FPGA PPU emulation, I don't understand the expense and console modification, if you're going for authenticity and RGB, use a Famicom Titler, or a PC10 PPU. I'd rather have a bizarre palette than fake it if I'm actually trying to play on real hardware. But I'm probably in the minority. I just play Composite on a dumpster PVM.
>>
klek
>>
>>3220245
Apologies for my abominable editing and comma usage.
>>
>>3220192
>The DKCR games have awful controls and physics, but their biggest sin is the poor and totally forgettable level design.

Well that's funny, cause I remember they being the exactly opposite, with quite responsive controls and unique level design. In fact, that's usually the general consensus among reviewers / critics.
The new Rayman games are also good candidates, but they have bland visuals and gets pretty boring after a while.
>>
>>3220245
how do i get ENB?
>>
>>3220287
Who would have known. Reviewers are bad at video games or probably never played a lot of them in their sheltered little lives.
>>
>>3220518
Nah, most reviewers are avid gamers that grew up with the games we now call retro.
>>
>>3220545
No, reviewers these days are more likely to have grown up on PS1/N64 or the following generation, and even the few remaining from the older crowd were never usually good at video games, as we learned as soon as they were able to start broadcasting gameplay videos online. I have seriously never seen a single reviewer playing even competently.

They'll talk about how much they "love retro" but I doubt most even like video games all that much.
>>
>>3219778
I'm more mad at Nintendo telling them to make it Nunchuk only so everyone can appreciate their "motion control genius". Stupid assholes.
>>
>>3221209
>and even the few remaining from the older crowd were never usually good at video games, as we learned as soon as they were able to start broadcasting gameplay videos online

When I mentioned reviewers I didn't mean youtube e-celebs specifically, but critics in general.

Anyway, I think we've got far from my original point. The new games received a very positive reception, not only the critics but also the gaming audience in general. They were often praised by their graphics, gameplay and in Tropical Freeze's case, its soundtrack. They may not be as enjoyable as the classic series, but they're fun and did a way better than several other franchises that tried to make a comeback.
>>
File: dat blur doe.png (589 KB, 730x995) Image search: [Google]
dat blur doe.png
589 KB, 730x995
>>3219235
The fucking delusion of pixel fetishists knows no bounds.

>>3219256
You can't see with your eyes.

>>3219269
It's really not. It's a matter of being objectively right or very, very wrong and confused.

>>3219331
I doubt that but if true, that's really sad. You don't even have the excuse of ignorance.

>>3219372
>>3219757
This is such a fucking tragedy. These games are so unique and historically valuable. It's heartbreaking to know everything has been lost.

>>3219841
>RF
Disgusting

>>3219973
>He wasn't making his fucking games with RF in mind
I hope not, nobody should have ever done such a thing.

>They made their games in the highest possible quality and couldn't help the INTERFERENCE that signals and shitty scanlines produced.
Hahaha. Due to the severe technical limitations in terms of resolution and color depth, the highest possible quality was achieved WITH the help of the INTERFERENCE that signals and lovely godsent scanlines produced, by using dithering that would blend into beautiful grafix thanks to the magic of CRTs.

But hey, don't take my word for it, prepare to get utterly blown the fuck out, lets listen to what an actual developer of vidya has to say on the matter: https://youtu.be/kILeyo1iv0A?t=1m29s

Ouch, how's it feel to have your entire pathetic little world crushed?

>This is why PIXEL ART and game box art always included actual developer intent.
Pure idiocy. Screenshots were taken from direct feeds, not by taking photographs of TV screens. The fact that you only get pure, unadulterated, crystal clear, sharp pixels that way, says absolutely nothing about actual developer intent.

The screenshots on the box are also shrunk down so much, you can't see any pixels. If they are synonymous with developer intent, you better forget about large TV screens and play on the smallest smartphone screen you can find.

>>3219987
>>3220029
Anon, that looks like a mess. An overexposed, color bleeding, piss yellow mess.
>>
File: 1451838853224.gif (512 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1451838853224.gif
512 KB, 480x270
>>3225216
dude what the fuck
>>
>>3219214
Just use SuperEagle.
>>
why is half the thread gone? for what reason? this isn't right.
>>
>>3225216
Wew laddie. Way to sperg out.
>>
>>3219331
>I'm one of the oldest regular posters here.
>I've played on many many CRTs in my day.
Insecurity level: Worrisome
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.