[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the first video game you'd let your first son
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7
What's the first video game you'd let your first son play?

I'm thinking Super Mario RPG.

Bonus: What's the first song you'd let him listen to?

I'm thinking Aerosmith's 'Dude' (Looks Like A Lady), as they are my favorite band and are basically GOAT tier music all-around.
>>
I would LET him play any game he wants, with full access to my collection. Except disc-based games. I'd have those in hiding until he learned how to handle one properly
>>
>>3218926
This.
>>
File: 1425900484834.png (2 MB, 850x1093) Image search: [Google]
1425900484834.png
2 MB, 850x1093
Super Mario World.
It was my first and an excellent introduction to the world of video games.

And for music; I dunno. I guess some Beatles, Beach Boys, or Creedence. Further down the road, I'll introduce him to bands like Gentle Giant, King Crimson, and Frank Zappa.
>>
>>3218919
Just FYI they're gonna hate Aerosmith. You play them Itsy Bitsy Spider or nothing at all.
https://youtu.be/AgpAq2byDOo?t=109
>>
The first game my son played with intent was Zaxxon on my Colecovision Flashback before he turned 2 unless you count figuring out how to jump in Vagrant Story on my X-Play
The first game he played with actual direction was Final Fantasy X HD which lead to him learning how to more or less fully play his current favorite game, Skylanders. He just turned 3.
>>
>>3218932
>I guess some Beatles, Beach Boys, or Creedence

Faggot.
>>
>>3218973
>If you like the Beatles you're a faggot

I miss the days when this place wasn't full of 13 year old edge lords.
>>
>>3218979
Different anon here. While I won't go so far as to call beetles fans faggots. I do feel they're the most overrated musical act of all time. And I've held that opinion for a good 20 years now with no internet to influence me.
>>
Start him with something he can mechanically handle; he's going to start out as a nongamer.

Because of my situation I had more access to game boy games than any consoles, and we spent a lot of time in a car. So, I introduced him with a Namco collection. Ms. Pac-man was his first game, at just under 4. It was a feat for him to escape from ghosts. I got him a tv-hookup stick with some games like Bubble Bobble that he loves.

If he's going to play Super Mario RPG, he'd better have controllers down first or you will turn him away from video games. My boy at almost 5 seems to prefer King of Dragons and River City Ransom the most, and I use World of Goo and Doom with iddqd to get him accustomed to a mouse.
>>
>>3218981
Does overrated = bad these days?
I don't let Top 10s or Billboard lists affect my own personal tastes.
>>
What's with redditors always wanting to pass retro games onto their kids anyways? I let my nephew play blaster master and he couldnt get past the first screen. He liked street fighter alpha and ape escape tho.
>>
>>3218995
Maybe to some. I recognize the accomplishments of the band and their overall contribution to rock music, but I don't feel they deserve to be put on a pedestal like they are.
Like if you ever want to turn some heads at a party just say what I've said about the Beetles and you'll get a guaranteed shocked reaction. But in many of those folks its been that sort of reaction where it seems they only act that way because they feel they're supposed to, you know? Like maybe they do don't really like the Beetles that much either but they're afraid to say otherwise.
>>
>>3219004
Because they buy into the whole 'le born into the wrong era' meme.

Always why they're obsessed with shitty dad rock, like OP and being tradcon morons.
>>
>>3219004
That's why you gotta test them on different things. To my surprise my son, who is awful at platformers but great at beat em ups, just dove hard into Star Fox. I've never been good at it but he loves it.
>>
>>3219013
Well considering rock n' roll is pretty much a dead musical genre right now, you pretty much HAVE to be into dadrock if you're into it at all.
>>
>>3219009
Sometimes you have to just forget where people place these 'best bands of all time'. I'm not a huge fan of the Beatles, but I was when I was a kid. I didn't even know that people considered them to be one of the best until later. And I could care less what other people would think about my tastes. It's all about what affects me personally and emotionally. (I'm getting waaay to far into this now >_<) But I understand if it doesn't appeal to your taste. Just don't let outer influences alter your views.
>>
File: yoko.jpg (148 KB, 624x420) Image search: [Google]
yoko.jpg
148 KB, 624x420
>>3218981
In my opinion the Beatles were better performers, but Yoko Ono was a better artist.

Unfortunately Yoko Ono committed the most grave sin a woman can commit in western society, and became an object of ridicule and hatred for generations to come; she tried to get involved in a man's career.
>>
>>3219009
>>3218981
>I do feel they're the most overrated musical act of all time.

Yeah, this place is embarrassing.
>>
you should get your son into NES Zapper or SMS Light Phaser games first to better his hand-eye coordination

then move onto other games

that's what my family did with me
>>
>>3219037
>Lennon gets four bullets in the chest
>Yoko Ono standing right next to him - not one fucking bullet.
No justice in this world.
>>
File: 1453982125686.gif (218 KB, 340x324) Image search: [Google]
1453982125686.gif
218 KB, 340x324
>>3219042
I wouldn't say they're bad, but they're definitely overrated. They were hyped up by extremely aggressive marketing (the likes of which was completely unprecedented at the time), and eagerly embraced by a public who wanted less "colour" in their music.
>>
>>3219042
Name a more overrated one then.
>>
>>3219042
They are though. Which doesnt mean they suck or whatever just they are over rated. People act like beatles are the greatest band OF ALL TIME
>>
File: pb smirk.png (38 KB, 309x332) Image search: [Google]
pb smirk.png
38 KB, 309x332
>>3219049
>wishing death on another human being because you don't like her art

This is why I don't like Beatles fans.

John Lennon was a violent alcohol-abusing militant atheist who used to beat the sh** out of his wife and kids, while hypocritically preaching a message of peace and tolerance to the public. He died for his arrogance, and to be perfectly honest? I don't think it was any great loss.

"Imagine there's no Heaven", John? Don't worry, I'm sure there's no Heaven where you're going.
>>
OP I'm sorry for ruining your thread.
I should've known that mentioning the Beatles would fuck up everything.
>>
File: fishing girl.jpg (412 KB, 3000x1687) Image search: [Google]
fishing girl.jpg
412 KB, 3000x1687
>>3219054
>>3219058
>>3219059
>>3219061

0/10: samefag edition.
>>
>>3219074
Aphex Twin face behind the glasses
>>
>>3219058
Impossible. Overrated and underrated are meaningless terms that are only used by idiots who don't understand what opinions are.
>>
>11 posters
>37 replies
>>
File: mario3.jpg (95 KB, 580x483) Image search: [Google]
mario3.jpg
95 KB, 580x483
So going back to the original topic of the thread, I think Super Mario Bros. 3 would be a pretty good first game. Simple in concept, but challenging enough to engage the player, and teach him/her that not everything in life is going to be easy.

First song, maybe this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcTDabeWMW0
>>
>>3218919
This is actually the first game my dad had me play. Seriously one of the best times as a kid playing sm:rpg with my dad for hours on his days off. I love this game.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.