[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post your top 5 retro games. If you want, explain why.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9
File: maxresdefault-3.jpg (77 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault-3.jpg
77 KB, 1280x720
Post your top 5 retro games. If you want, explain why.
>>
Post them here only so my taste can be called shit and the games overrated?

Nah.
>>
>>3217661
Why the fuck would you post a list of games WITHOUT explaining why? I could write a fucking bot that could do that. There wouldn't be anything interesting or informative about it.
>>
>>3217664
You're absolutely right. You should never talk to anyone or go outside or anything because there's a small chance someone might say something bad about you. Which is obviously the worst thing that could happen to anyone because you're clearly a genius with excellent tastes.
>>
>>3217665
Because the games enough can stimulate discussion, I mean shit /v/ can do it without a problem.
I'll be posting my list soon once I narrow it down.
>>
Kirby's Adventure
Probably tops my list because this game basically put Kirby on top of my list of series that I'll always watch out for, it left a pretty huge impression on me because it had all these crazy powers that I could experiment with and the levels allowed for some slight exploration for secrets.
Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Really felt like the perfect formula of everything that Sonic games did beforehand. Good momentum based platforming, exploration but not so much so that it doesn't interfere with the game and plenty of gameplay changes with the multiple characters.
Super Mario RPG
Pretty much my first RPG since 1 it was Mario and you couldn't go wrong with Mario and 2 it was more interactive than other RPGs both in and out of battle. So you had the ability to explore and jump around this 3d world with no random battles and when you get into battles you have timed hits to keep shit interesting which is one of the things that kept me away from RPGs for a very long time but this was the game that opened them up to me.
LoZ Majora's Mask
This sort of goes back to Kirby with the masks allowing to do different things and approach situations differently and I just love that sense of discover that even to this day when I replay it I may find something new that I never saw or did before.
Mystical Ninja 64
Perfect mix of platforming, action adventure and item based RPG leveling with some interesting first person fighting and hilarious dialogue. It came out of fucking nowhere and did something that I've yet to have seen done again.
>>
File: 1460879987932.gif (410 KB, 640x384) Image search: [Google]
1460879987932.gif
410 KB, 640x384
>>3217661

>Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
The rumor system is so badass, and the game has an extremely memorably cast of characters on top of an absolutely great story. Easily my favorite game.

>Starcraft/Broodwar
I shouldn't really have to explain this one. Play the campaign for yourself and if you missed out on the online in the day, that's a real shame.

>Street Fighter 3rd Strike
Tight controls, excellent arcade game. Propelled me into fighters which are my favorite genre these days. Without having played this game as a teen, fighters wouldn't be the same to me.

>Earthbound
Colorful, great dialogue, cool battles, and just plain fun. I don't care if you hate the game, it's just my opinion.

>Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
One of the comfiest games ever with excellent models for your characters and the enemies. One of the most memorable experiences I've ever had in a videogame, and one of the funniest.

Honorable Mentions:
Valkyrie Profile
Super Metroid
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Dragon Quest 7
Final Fantasy Tactics
>>
File: 1424385105808.png (64 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1424385105808.png
64 KB, 200x200
Blood
Doom(if were talking wads and not just the base game)
Castlevania 1/rondo of blood
Mega man 4
Earthbound

Sorry but I would be here all day if was going to say why I like each one, all I will say is I return to these games often and never feel dissapointed.
>>
Banjo Kazooie - Most comfy
Phantasy Star 4 - Most interesting adventure and cast [high fantasy doesn't do much for me in jRPGs)
Super Mario World / 3 / 64 - Most satisfy control and platforming
Diddy Kong Racing - Most fun I've had with friends in a game
Metal Gear Solid - Made me feel like I was the star of an action movie, but weirder

As an aside, Soul Reaver is the game I wished was better, the most. Love the theme, love the scenario, love the environment...the combat, level design, and box puzzles kill it for me though. Shit, they had Judge Frollo as an elder god. That's should make it a minimum 7/10.
>>
>Chrono Trigger/Cross
Turn-based RPGs have become my favorite genre over the years, and I have yet to find one that I enjoyed more than these two. I love Trigger because even though it's rather straightforward, it does everything so well. The artstyle, music, characters, battle system (and no random battles), are all superb in my opinion. While I see Trigger as more simple and straightforward, Cross has everything that made me like Trigger so much, but more elaborate and fully realized as an RPG.

>Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
I've always been fond of games with a primary focus of exploration, and I feel that this game took that style of gameplay in great execution. The feeling of making your way through the castle and leveling up as you progress, then breezing through areas that were once a challenge is simply fantastic. It gives a great sense of strength and fulfillment.

>Super Mario 64
To me, this is 3D platforming at its finest. The way Mario controls is pure bliss and leaves plenty of room to master, giving it nearly infinite replay value. The level design, and just the world I feel are very creative, and hold a certain charm to them. Being a pioneer of the genre, I find it amazing how much it nailed the formula from the get go, and how it reigns supreme after all these years.

>The Legend of Zelda
This is my favorite out of the series, mainly because of how unique it is, in that there hasn't been another Zelda game quite like it. Since Link to the Past set the formula for other installments to come, I don't think there's been another game that achieves the same feeling as this one. It captures the feeling of exploration and discovery so perfectly. Due to it's primitiveness, that feeling is so raw and pure; nothing in the game interferes with it.

Cont.
>>
>>3218304
>Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
Easily my favorite 2D platformer. I love all three games in the Country series immensely, but have to give the edge to the second one. The atmosphere created in this game is beautiful, Rare really knew how to make full use of the system's hardware and technology. The controls are so fluid, they almost have a "rhythmic" quality to them. It offered a variety of different kinds of levels that kept the game interesting. That, and the extra things you could collect to reach the secret world to fully complete the game gave it great replay value.
>>
>>3217664
This desu. This board gets hostile pretty easily and is rarely a decent place to rationally discuss anything. It's basically a /v/ with butthurt people.
>>
>>3217661

KAIN IS DEIFED
>>
>>3217671
There's a difference between "oh, I didn't like that particular game, I preferred game X or Y instead" and "OMG SHIT TIER TASTE KILL YOURSELF FUCKING /OGG/ LAUGHINGWHORES.JPG VOMITCHAN.JPG"

And unless you like some obscure Japanese weaboo shit or some bullshit like that, you're always going to get the latter response here. God help you if you liked a game that sold more than 500,000 copies.
>>
>>3217661
Stuff with high replay value I guess, which means easy to get into and complete in a short amount of time.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles
Super Mario World
Megaman X
Crash Bandicoot 2
Jet Set Radio
>>
>>3218384
My nigga. Shit, swap Megaman for Contra Hard Corps and that's my list.
>>
>>3218343
True and unfortunate as it is, I'll be happy if I can have at least an ounce of quality discussion, even if it means wading through the mass of shitposts.
>>
>>3218543
Thanks, definitely give Chrono Trigger a try, it's a great introduction to the genre.

Others in this thread mentioned Earthbound and Super Mario RPG, and I'd highly recommend those games as well.
>>
File: 3x3 vr.png (817 KB, 607x609) Image search: [Google]
3x3 vr.png
817 KB, 607x609
Don't feel like doing a write-up.
Here's a 3x3 instead.
>>
>>3217661

KAIN IS DEIFEID
>>
File: Kid Icarus.png (139 KB, 438x370) Image search: [Google]
Kid Icarus.png
139 KB, 438x370
>Breath of Fire III
My all-time favorite vidya game. Been playing it since 1998 and still love it.

>Metroid
Most people like Super Metroid better, but I would argue the original remains the pinnacle of the series. The exploration is brilliant, and the way the game forces you to out-maneuver your enemies is fantastic.

>Super Mario RPG
My childhood defined. I played this game way too much.

>Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers
My grandpa (rest his soul) would rent Chip 'n Dale from the tape store for me. When our local video rental store closed, I managed to buy the exact copy of the game I still own and hold so dear to my heart.

>Kid Icarus
If you don't like Kid Icarus, then git gud. 'Nough said. Game is awesome.
>>
>>3217661
Okay, though it will be tough to choose

>Final Fantasy
Is 9 retro? If not, tactics. Love 7 & 8 as well. 9 has a great story and is fun to play, though the graphics aren't great, the designs are goofy, and the battles are slow. Tactics is just great all around, but they got lazy in chapter 4 and the game isn't balanced well.

>Parasite Eve 2
There's a few things I would love to change about this game, but it's just so damn pleasing to play through that I can't dislike it. I dearly wish we could have got more games like this that weren't resident evil (though I liked 2).

>Half-life
Why oh why did they have to fuck up H2 so badly?

>Fallout
Most fun I've ever had spending all weekend beating a game.

>Baldur's Gate
I actually like the first one best.

Honorabru Mentions:
Tomb Raider (1&2), Mario (3, world, 64), Tenchu, HoM&M 2 & 3
>>
>>3217661
Mario kart
>fun 2 player racing
Battletoads
>zany coop adventures
Sonic
>gotta go fast
Starfox
>nigga
Donkey kong country
>cuz i know alot about the game
>>
File: Death Breath - Parasite Eve II.jpg (41 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Death Breath - Parasite Eve II.jpg
41 KB, 640x480
>>3221707
>Is Final Fantasy 9 retro?
It is. Any game released on a platform before 2000 is considered retro. So even though Final Fantasy IX debuted in 2000, it was released on a console from 1994.

>Parasite Eve II
Death Breath is as cool as he is hard!
>>
>>3217661
Yet another TOP 5 RETRO VIDEO GAMES EXTRAVAGANZA THREAD

O M G PEOPLE
>>
File: download.jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7 KB, 259x194
>>3221724
FFIX
so many ppl liking this game
So much bad taste
>>
>>3221737
play it, faggit
>>
>>3221756
Ill give it credit for the fmv's
>>
File: rika.jpg (18 KB, 176x447) Image search: [Google]
rika.jpg
18 KB, 176x447
>Phantasy Star IV
Could be my favorite game of all time. I remember seeing it at Electronics Boutique and it was pricey. So I always wondered about it, espically being a RPGfag at the time. My uncle was an avid gamer, and was moving into PC gaming. He gave me all his old SEGA games which included the Phantasy Star library. I played through 2 and 3 I did enjoy them. The second I played 4 I was hooked. The intro alone was fucking bad ass. "4 bells tolled", all types of crisp illustrations and a perfect tune in the background to set the mood. The initial setting was great, a giant university town. The look of the game really captivated me. Very colorful, but dark when it needed to be. The characters were cool too. They all had some motive to endear them to me. Even suck ass characters like Gryz,and Hahn became my favorites because of their respective plights. The Zio scenario, the death of Alys. The game really put my kid ass through the ringer. This is only the first part of the game. Gameplay mechanics like combining magics, setting marcos. At the time was innovative. At least to me. Little things like books about Ecco thte Dolphin, and a hooker mistaking Chaz for a client. A collaboration of fat mutts, girls with horns, and an un funny funnyman. The game has it all. Might just boot it up one more time.
>>
Zillion
>I loved it since I was a kid. It was the first game that seemed like a real challenge to me. Paying attention to where I was on the map, my health, etc. it was totally awesome and having multiple playable characters blew my mind.

Sonic 3
>Maximum comfy. One of my most played games ever and I can just turn my brain off and beat it with second nature. Have beaten it with all the emeralds black out drunk no problem.

Streets of Rage 2
>Not really much to say. Played this with my little sister growing up and we've always loved it. Originally got the cartridge from my neighbor growing up. The intro and soundtrack blew our fucking faces off not to mention the brawlin' action. It was like TMNT or something but at home and 50x cooler. Love it.

Ikaruga
>My favorite shmup and I don't care if the elitists hate it. Fuck 'em this shit is so damn fun and difficult. Played the fuck out of it with one of my best friends over the years and it's just one of those things we do together. This shit is top tier gaming fun with a friend.

Not sure about my last one. Metal Gear Solid? Snatcher? Castlevania: Symphony of the Night? Crash Team Racing? Sonic R? I dunno.
>>
Sid Meier's Colonization

In my mind I am a conquistador for the hours I play this game, the immersion is complete.
You play as the founder of a european colony in the americas and control that colony until it declares independence (the endgame is defeating your motherland in an independence war)

Super Mario Bros 3
It was the best selling unbundled console game until GTA on PS2, I consider it perfect, every level has a different gameplay idea.

The King of Fighters 98
I think it is the best fighting game made before the year 2000.

Streets of Rage 2
Simply a 10/10 game, I cant think of a single defect. One of the best beat em ups is a console game, and the soundtrack is glorious.

Super Metroid
I consider it close to perfect. When I first played it I was floored, as in, I cant believe how immersed I am, it is like I am inside an Aliens movie.
I also feel that the game has a great story, but without cut scenes, the story is the actions your perform during the exploration.
>>
>>3218035
>Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
thanks for the recc, i'm gonna try this
>>
>>3222754

Thanks, you shouldn't be disappointed. Just a tip though, it can be a bit grindy at times, you'll know when the time comes. That's literally the only fault I can find with the game though.
>>
>>3217661
1.> lightening force/ thunder force IV
My mom sent this game to me when I was eight and she was stationed in Japan. It's really held the test of time and I have replayed it like a billion times
It never gets old for me.
2. Half life: at the time I played this it floored me both with the story and gameplay specifically the gunplay which I found to be the best part of the game.
3. Goldeneye probably have spent 1000 hours with this game and I don't regret it.
Mission variety, great controls and weapons and again gunplay very important to me
4. Z (pc) this is a very underrated rts that everyone should try out. Basically you play capture the flag with robots and the combat is the most fun in any game I've ever played. How this didn't hit off huge I will never know.
5. Resident evil 2: great game from top to bottom
>>
File: Video Game 3x3.jpg (1 MB, 1800x1800) Image search: [Google]
Video Game 3x3.jpg
1 MB, 1800x1800
>>3219857
I always liked these kinds of charts.
Some rad games going on in this chart in particular, makes me want to try out Monster World IV.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.