[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Serious question, will the prices of Japanese games and consoles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: P10108561.jpg (3 MB, 4000x3000) Image search: [Google]
P10108561.jpg
3 MB, 4000x3000
Serious question, will the prices of Japanese games and consoles ever reach the level of bullfuckery that Western systems have?

Should I start collecting them now?
>>
yes, since the japanese games are supposed to be returned (sold back) to the japanese.

Its the gaijins who buy games and drive uo the prices.
>>
>>3215141
>Should I start collecting Japanese games?

BUY BUY BUY
>>
You're a bit late.
>>
>>3215152
For what? I have 60-to-72-pin converter for my NES and a few Famicom games. It all cost a fraction of what it would've cost to get the western versions.
>>
>>3215156
Not really. Maybe if you're after specific games. After shipping fees no.

Most NES games are still well under $50. Under $20 even.
>>
>>3215157
With shipping, maybe. But I found a local Japanese imports store locally with a lot of selection, so maybe I'm just lucky.

Hell, I got SMB3-J for $10 from them. The converter was $20, so that's already pretty much the cost of the American version.
>>
>>3215157
You're a reseller, aren't you?
>>
There are expensive games in Japan as well. Most Saturn shmups are in 5-10k yen range. Umihara Kawase is 8k. Panorama Cotton for Mega Drive is 40k (I believe).
Of course for every exception there are numerous 200-500 jpy games, but still.

As someone who only imports JP games, I still don't understand NTSC-U and PAL prices.
>>
>>3215162
Good luck then. Hope you can read moon.
>>3215167
People tend to overestimate game prices.
>>
>>3215171
>People tend to overestimate game prices.
If you're buying crap games maybe, but the big titles are genuinely outrageous most times.
>>
On average probably not. Sometimes there are big disparities in price with the JP version costing much more (see: Comix Zone, The Ooze), but the western collectors who are willing to throw down the big bucks seem primarily interested in western releases. I don't get the feeling that there are as many wealthy newbie collectors or hopeful speculators in Japan as there seem to be in the US.
>>
File: kirby3.jpg (32 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
kirby3.jpg
32 KB, 500x375
>>3215141
I have noticed certain shooters such as super aleste and r-type 3 pushing $50 when there were nothing close to that a couple of years ago.
>>
>>3215147
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>3215168
I got Umihara Kawase for 6k last week, most of them online aren't 8k.
>>3215435
Not him, but I assume he means how in Japan people don't really hoard boxes upon boxes of cartridges and only buy what they want to play, then resell it at a store when they no longer want it. It's basically rental, there aren't anywhere near as many cartridge hoarding manchildren there as there is in the West mainly because they don't have the space for it, but also because there's no real need to keep a game forever if you've already finished it so they'll usually just keep a few of their favorites and sell back the rest. In the West manbaby hoarders end up buying all the copies of something and inflate the price, while in Japan the prices remain low as fuck because there's constantly copies of most games being bought and being sold back. Obviously there are outliers, but even in those cases (if the game isn't super rare) you wouldn't be paying any more than you would for a new, current-gen game.
>>
>>3215728
I remember an episode of GCCX where Arino goes in someone house who owns every famicom games. Games everywhere, barely the space to move.
>>
>>3215141
Resellers in places frequented by weeb hipsters have already jacked up prices so massively I don't even bother. The other 99% of the country is fine for cheap games.
>>
>>3215168
>5-10K yen
>for saturn shumps
thanks obama
thank fuck my saturn is modchipped
>>
>>3215736
upboated, sounds interesting, which ep guys?
>>
>>3218650
Ask in the GCCX general, I bet they can tell you a lot faster.
>>
>>3215157
No. I constantly buy games from Japan and many times the shipping fee is ridiculously low. I just ordered 8 SFC games at $60 and only $8 of it was shipping. I've been doing this for years.
>>
>>3218775
Website/seller or something?
>>
File: rare japan.jpg (455 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
rare japan.jpg
455 KB, 2048x1536
There are overvalued Japanese games too.

Have you fucking seen the price of Majyuuou?
>>
File: 1463487489581854696498.jpg (1 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1463487489581854696498.jpg
1 MB, 2560x1440
Bandwagon collector / poorfag here
Go for it but some games are cheaper on ntsc u so i wish i had a u.s. console too.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.