[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did this port catch flak? Was it because it didn't look
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: 8657_front.jpg (45 KB, 640x621) Image search: [Google]
8657_front.jpg
45 KB, 640x621
Why did this port catch flak? Was it because it didn't look as good as its arcade counterpart? Also, Virtua Fighter thread.
>>
Do you think the first one will ever be on Fightcade? My arcade removed VF5, and now I have no way to play VF against others.
>>
>>3214872
VF5FS has solid netplay on PS3 and is $15 for a digital copy, beyond that you will be really lucky if you can either emulate the earlier VF games successfully or convince the PC ports of VF1/2 to let you play online on a modern system
>>
>>3214864
It was clearly a rushed port. Hell, it doesn't even have VMU features of any kind, not even basic avatars for whatever character you're playing as.
>>
>>3214980
This guy knows.

Did they ever release a 'complete' version like they did with Sonic Adventure?
>>
>>3214980
It was ported by amateur devs genki who also ported sega rally 2. Later the original devs am2 ported fighting vipers 2 and it shows.
>>
>>3214980
nah AM2 were too busy with Shenmue and porting over other titles which is a shame because I feel like AM2 would of done an amazing job with VF 3 but not as amazing as VF2 on saturn.
>>
>>3215043 #
I think their port of Sega Rally 2 was much worse. That one had a 60 FPS mode as a cheat which severely reduced the graphics. That should tell you something.
>>
File: d0019792_21455769.jpg (46 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
d0019792_21455769.jpg
46 KB, 640x400
my friend had an arcade board of vf3 than unfortunately had its power supply explode when he unplugged it
the game looked wonderful
>>
>>3214864
Windows CE. Not sure whether to blame Microsoft for that shit, or Sega for going along with it.
>>
>>3215331
hi that's me :3

yes the Dreamcast version of VF3tb is looked down upon mostly because it looks notably worse than the arcade version while games like Tekken 3 and Soul Calibur looked just as good or better than their arcade counterparts. additionally, keep in mind that VF3 hit arcades in 1996 and didn't come home until 2-3 years later. back in the 90's 2 years makes the difference between virtua racing and VF2. i still think the arcade version of VF3 looks better than Soul Calibur, but can't say the same for the Dreamcast version...

Also, worth noting that the North American release is the definitive home release. The JP version did not have a proper VS mode and had worse shadows. Nevertheless, VF3tb had a nearly 1-to-1 attach rate on Dreamcast launch in Japan. it outsold third strike by a wide margin, despite the DC having a larger install base by the time that came out.

One final note: know what really killed VF3? take a look at the Dreamcast controller.
>>
Why did Sega outsourced their ports to shitty devs? They did the same with Saturn's Virtua Racing. It's like they didn't give their own IPs their proper treatment.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2448x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2448x2448
>>3216375
AM2 was working on Shenmue. same reason there was a 6 year break between VF3 and VF4.

here's an offscreen shot of VF3 arcade btw!
>>
>>3216379

Yeah but why not put a competent team port it?
I think most ports are done in-house and have their own console team and since it's in-house they always get a hand or two from the original dev team. That's how most ports from Capcom, Konami and Sega were. But sometimes Sega just fucked up and outsourced it to 3rd party companies. And that's when the games are shit ports unless it's M2.
>>
Does anyone else feel that the game has outgrown the Virtua label? It was relevant back in the 90s when (flat shaded) polygons were a novelty and had connotations of those shitty Virtuality machines.

But now? It's like they're stuck with it for historical reasons but it's kind of an embarrassment now.
>>
>>3216391
Genki's not so bad, they mostly work with racing games but i suspect the problem was simply not having enough time to take advantage of the Dreamcast architecture in time to make the console's launch
>>
>>3216394
Embarrassing? i don't think so personally. It does sound super video gamey, but that suits the franchise really well IMO.
>>
>>3216394

Virtua as in virtuous. Like "virtuous fighter". Not "virtual reality fighter".
>>
>>3216404
Are you sure? Because the only franchises I'm aware of that use the Virtua name (Fighter, Cop and Racing) began in the 90s and used flat-shaded polygons, which were considered cutting edge at the time.
>>
>>3216414

It's a made up word, I think it's meant to have a double meaning. I do think the original intention is for virtuous, but it also has the implication of "virtual" for the 3D graphics.
>>
>>3216414
YOU FORGOT VIRTUA TENNIS
>>
>>3216391
1) it was rushed like hell to meet launch date. Notice how the US version benefitted from a little extra dev time.

2) they were forced to use the Windows CE environment as >>3215463 pointed out. This is also why the Sega Rally 2 port suffered so much.

3) the internal teams were working on other projects probably didn't provide as much support as they otherwise could have.

it's not a "competence" issue. You have to consider how these games are actually made.
>>
>>3216421
Virtual mission?
No snake its virtuous mission
>>
>>3216532

Right, because those are virtual missions, not virtua missions.
>>
>>3216404

It's "virtual fighter" and you're retarded.
>>
>>3216540

It's not Virtual Fighter and you're an ignorant.
>>
>>3216540
0/10
>>
Oh come on, "Virtua" is clearly to signify the use of polygons because the early Virtua games look like those early VR machines.

With Virtua Fighter, Sega were saying "look it's a fighting game that uses 3D polygons just like those fangled VR machines you've seen on the TV"

They were cashing in on the novelty factor of VR and its association with polygons.
>>
>>3214864
VF3 is my favorite desu
>>
>>3216916
Nigga, it's for VIRTUOSO.
>>
When will sega port VF3 with net play like they did with sonic the fighters?
>>
>>3216958
In the event you're not trolling, you think it's just a coincidence that Virtua was the prefix for Sega's new line of 3D flat-shaded polygonal games?
>>
>>3214864
>Isn't arcade perfect
>It was 3 years after the arcade version
>Graphics don't look quite right
>Includes glitches not in the arcade version
>VF4 came out a little over a year later, so it wasn't current for very long
>Soulcalibur and DOA2 looked better than VF3
>VF3 isn't as good as 2 or 4

>>3216364
>Tekken 3
Nah, Tekken 3 looked worse. It gets a pass though because the Playstation is inferior hardware, and the character models look nearly as good as the arcade

>>3216379
AM2 had also dumped tons of resources into a canceled Sega Saturn port. A few screen shots got out, but it's impossible to find them. Apparently it was something else, and pushed the Saturn to it's absolute limit.
>>
>>3216916

It also conveys the whole "virtual" thing, but the main point of the word "Virtua" in those games (Fighter, Racing, Cop, etc) comes from virtue.
>>
>>3217215
>makes a claim
>can't prove it
>BUT IT'S TOTALLY TRUE
Even if you're right, you have to find a way to make people believe you.
>>
>>3217030
>Nah, Tekken 3 looked worse

It looked virtually the same, its board was a customized PSX board. Harada talked about it several times saying it was the easiest transition from arcade to home market ever since 99% of everything on the arcade version worked on the PSX dev kit on day one, freeing them up to add stuff like Tekken Ball and Tekken Force and longer ending sequences.

The same thing happened with TTT, the board was a proto-PS2 - so much so that it was literally the first game ready to be released on PS2 almost a year ahead of its launch.
>>
>>3214864
I played da Sega Saturn version but for some reason Aoi was a cop???
>>
>>3217274

You know I'm right
>>
>>3217909
That was Fighters Megamix and you're thinking of Janet from Virtua Cop 2 since she had Aoi's moveset.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.