[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can't see shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5
File: Quake0001.png (1 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
Quake0001.png
1 MB, 1680x1050
I'm playing Quake with DirectQ and everything is so fucking dark it looks like DOOM3. How to fix it?
>>
Episode 4 is supposed to be dark, that is part of its whole theme, silly anon.
>>
>>3213510
Looks fine to me.
>>
>>3213517
>>3213525
That's not darkness, it's void blackness. I remember the original game and it's not supposed to look like this.
>>
>>3213510
By using DarkPlaces instead.
>>
>>3213510
Try changing the gamma in console?
>>
How about using Quakespasm
>>
>>3213510
>not using Darkplaces
>>
Use Quakespasm
>>
try using darkplaces
>>
As others have said, you have no reason to not be using Darkplaces or Quakespasm.
>>
try:
r_fullbright 1

but it makes game faggot.
>>
quake thread?
>>
>>3213531
Are you sure you were not running it using the software render? Because of that mode being incapable of displaying shadows correctly is that looks brighter, it happens to Quake 2 too.

It doesn't look bad in that screenshoot to me.
>>
File: id-software-quake-2-opengl.jpg (46 KB, 980x368) Image search: [Google]
id-software-quake-2-opengl.jpg
46 KB, 980x368
>>3214280
See pic of software vs OpenGL in original game, no mods, its supposed to be dark.
>>
I think the original Quake is best played in software more.
>>
>>3213510
If you wanna play Quake 1 though the lens of Doom 3, use DarkPlaces

I actually really love that look for Quake 1 desu
>>
>>3214280
That's a bit backwards. Software Quake was dark and GLQuake was not. It's only recently that modern Quake engines have become dark again.

Quake 2 is the other way around, sort of. I think software mode still had (colourless) lighting and shadows but it looked like absolute arse without OpenGL or 3DFX Glide™.
>>
People seem to be contradicting each other about the gamma issue but I vividly remember this question being asked online and printed in gaming mags back in the day and it was always talked about as an OpenGL issue and to simply correct the gamma manually or with a patch.
>>
I remember Quake 2 was shitloads brighter in software mode.

It looked like a completely different game compared to 3D accelerated Quake 2.
>>
>>3213510
quakespasm is best if you want the original look
>>
it's supposed to look like that. it has nothing to do with directq or the hardware renderer.

quake's lightmaps don't calculate radiosity and there's no minimum light level set for lightmaps, so anything not directly hit by a light source will be pitch black. and changing gamma won't affect pitch black (see pic)

r_fullbright 1 removes black areas because it disables lighting entirely.

darkplaces might have a command to set a minimum light level but i doubt either directq or quakespasm would
>>
Use Quakespasm and turn off that ugly filtering.

>>3213631
>>3213959
NO

NO
>>
just found this gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OipJYWhMi3k
any other channels / videos like these?
>>
File: 20160515_172411.jpg (2 MB, 3984x2988) Image search: [Google]
20160515_172411.jpg
2 MB, 3984x2988
After getting caught up in work and school for I no longer recall how long, finals is past me and summer before me, I'm getting off my lazy butt and trying to resume work on my old Dino Doom project, concept art of the main character here, so I can hammer out the body shape and by extension the mechanics, if it is shit, tell me so
>>
>>3217330
and a paste to the old synopsis I came up with that I should have put in that post http://pastebin.com/aCSB6vge
>>
>>3215449
>3DFX Glide™

Nice copy/paste
>>
>>3217330
It clearly should 3DFX Glide™ on second jump, dude.
>>
>>3217860
I don't get this joke
>>
>>3217884
Read the thread.

Or even just the post above mine.
>>
>>3217902
oh. now I feel dumb, still as for dino doom anon, the design feels a bit too sketchy to make a judgement, is it supposed to look like it's wearing a jet fighter for armor?
>>
>>3217960
>feel dumb
Don't worry. It's not just a feeling.
>>
>>3217561
I pasted just the ™ symbol.
>>
>>3218439
why?
>>
>>3218942
Lacking the necessary autism to remember the Alt code.
>>
>>3217330
>>3217336
assuming by the lack of response, nobody cares and you should quit
>>
I don't think Quake uses gamma correction for lighting. Compare Quake 2 to Half-Life. The former has so many dark spots, but one light in Half-Life almost lights the entire map up.
So it's just a part of their style, I guess.
>>
>>3219207
why write it at all?
>>
>>3213510
Play it on WinQuake, you spoiled millenials
>>
>>3213510
Looks moody and awesome, whats the issue?

Try playing realms of the haunting... that shit is dark.
>>
File: image.jpg (528 KB, 1138x1795) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
528 KB, 1138x1795
>>3220386
Or you could play it on fitzquake/quakespasm and be better off.
>>
>>3219207
Alt codes don't work on my OS (though I wouldn't remember the number anyway, you're right) and I can't remember the other way to do it at all. There is another way that uses like three keys, but fucked if it isn't easier to copy and paste than remember how.

>>3219782
Because I wanted to, m8. I just wanted to make a stupid little joke that you didn't get, don't make a song and dance about it.
>>
>>3220386
Literally worse than quake.exe through Dosbox. Winquake was shit in the 90's and it's shit now. Nobody ever used that piece of shit. It was q95.bat for multiplayer or exit to DOS for single player.
>>
was is this thread so dead, I used to role by here and the threads were bustling
>>
any news on BDSE v20?
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.