[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it just nostalgia or is it really one of the greatest games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 22
File: FF7logo.jpg (33 KB, 648x340) Image search: [Google]
FF7logo.jpg
33 KB, 648x340
Is it just nostalgia or is it really one of the greatest games of all time? What's everyone's favorite part? Favorite character/materia/boss/OST?
>>
>>3212747
Mostly nostalgia. It's not one of the greatest games of all time but it's still pretty damn good. My favorite part would be all of Midgar, my favorite character is Cid, my favorite materia would be the 4x Cut, I don't have a favorite boss and my favorite OST would be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrwQPtxR36M
>>
>>3212747

I didn't think it was that good. Going to go with nostalgia.
>>
I am playing throught it for the first time right now.

I will post my thoughts on it as soon as I finish.
>>
It's one of those pieces of media that is so revolutionary it almost immediately becomes a cliche.
>>
>>3212828
So it's pretty much Japanese Star Wars.
>>
>>3212830
Yeah that's a good analogy
>>
FF8 is better in every way but it was overshadowed by the massive hype of its predecessor.
>>
>>3212849
Actually it was thanks to the hype of its predecessor that FF8 was even half as popular as it is now in the first place. The only things it did better were the graphics and music. The gameplay had all the same flaws of its predecessor but was even more retardedly broken, the story was an even more convoluted shitsoup with retarded TWEESTs, and the characters somehow even blander and one-note than before.
>>
I was a big fan of FF on the Nintendo systems, but when I tried the demo of FF7 that came with Tobal, it was so ugly looking compared to the SNES games it put me off completely and I never played the full game.
>>
In recent years I'm starting to think that FFVII got so overrated that it swung around and now it's actually underrated. The common opinion for a lot of people is that it wasn't as good as everybody hyped it up to be, it started edgy anime JRPGs, FFVI was better, shit graphics, blahblahblah. All of those things are true, but it's still a very good game that any JRPG fan ought to play.

Favourite char: Cid
Favourite materia: All
Favourite boss: I don't really have a favourite, but the one that sticks out most in my mind was the helicopter at the Shinra building because it always kicked my ass when I was young and shit at games.

Favourite Music: Either crazy motorcycle chase or Cid's theme. The spooky submarine music is pretty cool as well.
>>
6 and 9 are superior in just about every way.
>>
>>3212960
That would be true for 9 if the battle system wasn't slowest of the entire franchise.
>>
>>3212960
I agree with you on 6, but I played about 2 and a half discs of FF9 and it seemed even more directionless than FFVII's disc one, I don't like the traditional fantasy setting as much as the modern-ish one of VII, and the battles take fucking forever. The music also didn't seem as good to me.
>>
I think its legitimately one of the best RPGs of all time. Everybody has their own opinion on that, though.

>Favorite Part
Sephiroth discovering his origin.

>Favorite Character
Cid. I love how he was haunted by making the morally correct choice.

>Favorite Materia
Frog is always a hilarious effect to inflict on an enemy.

>Favorite Boss
Ruby Weapon. I beat him around launch back in the day without a tutorial and I was quite proud. I like how he is available to fight so early on despite no chance of your party winning.
>>
>>3212960
>6
God no.
>9
Maybe. Haven't played yet.
>>
I played through it for the first time about six months ago, and I think it's a masterpiece. I think it lives up to the hype about as much as any game possibly can.

So at least for me it isn't nostalgia.
>>
pretty good game. hasnt aged too badly, aside from the blocky character graphics. is actually quite linear despite sidequests and minigames available.

i liked how a lot of the main quest was basically about the pasts of the various characters and how they were set on the path to be in their bizarre situation together - too many rpgs forget to give a little time in the spotlight to various of the cast members. the only main characters who didnt have much to them were cait sith and vincent.

one thing i always wondered about, but never ever bothered to actually check...

is it possible to climb back to the north crater via the great glacier again in the endgame, instead of just flying in? something must block you, right?
>>
File: 1462836049601.jpg (35 KB, 338x305) Image search: [Google]
1462836049601.jpg
35 KB, 338x305
>>3213028

To be honest, 7 stole 6's story and revamped it. The correlation between the Returners and Avalanche, and crazy boys who want to destroy the world (Kefka, Sephiroth), magical experiments, (Esthers)

In addition in FFVI, Espers get enslaved by the Empire and who exploits them for their magical power, like Mako.

You can claim 7 is great, but shitting on 6 is like pic related.
>>
>>3212747
It is nostalgia, don't get me wrong, I don't hate the game or anything, but like most of the "Greatest" it gets much undeserved praise, which stems from the fact that the general audience doesn't play many videogames and cares more about the packaging than the content's quality.

Technically speaking, it was a fantastic product, the graphics were pretty amazing for its time considering the length of the game, there was quite a lot to see, Uematsu did a good job on the music and the general art direction was very well done, the cuts on prerendered backgrounds are rarely cliched and really give the environments a lot of flair, character design isn't for everyone, but they were mid 90's animu enough to still spark some interest.

On the gameplay point of view the game is simply mediocre, much like its predecessors, there's no challenge, characters are all blank slates with no actual characterization at all besides their limits, Materias, while interesting in theory were garbage in practice mostly due to the fact that there were no penalties at all in the system, which means you can become too powerful with little effort.
The game is also still painfully linear, which keeps on with the FF tradition of being RPGs in battle mechanics only, and the battle mechanics themselves are boring, shallow and archaic even for the time and platform.

The game mostly relies on it's visuals and narrative to work, and at the time it sure worked, but it doesn't really take much to see that besides fancy visuals the game doesn't have much to offer in terms of content quality, there's little replayabilty, little meaningful experimenting that can be done, little challenge to be had, it's a great and insightful piece of media but a shallow and okay at best game, like most of the entries in the franchise though.

In any case

Favorite Part: Midgar for sure.
Favorite character: Motherfucking HOJO
Materia: Enemy Skill
Boss: Rufus, he's just badass
OST: Birth of a God, dem bass line
>>
Definitely one of the greatest deal with it contrarian nerds.
>>
>>3213078
No not possible. You cant climb gaias cliff again after the snowfields.
>>
i played it very recently and never played it before and i really enjoyed my time with it, its great.
>>
>>3213190
thats understandable. what happened? did the cliffs collapse? was the old guy who lived at the base of the cliffs ok?
>>
>>3212747
i liked ffvii but cmon now
>>
Just nostalgia.
>>
>>3213207
Pretty sure the Weapons waking up caused a lot of damage to the terrain
>>
File: 1437509599606.jpg (746 KB, 873x1300) Image search: [Google]
1437509599606.jpg
746 KB, 873x1300
>>3212830
>So it's pretty much Japanese Star Wars.

But that's Gundam.
>>
>>3212747
The Midgar, Junon, Icicle Inn, Weapon and Midgar Canon portions are my favorite parts of the games. I wish they stuck with the idea to keep the entire game confined to Midgar/a big city (if that was even true to begin with) because man were those sections great. The Wutai sidequest with Yuffie is another one of my favorite parts.

It's a great game, but really not THE GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME, anyone that says it's downright bad is a tryhard. Cloud/Quadra Magic/Jenova Birth/The World Map theme.
>>
>>3213207
He's fine, he is the one who stops you from climbing if you try to return. the cliff did not collapse. the Weapon broke out of their sleeping places and affected the ice and vegetative part on top of the north crater, but the mountain is fine.
>>
Having played it for the first time a couple of months ago: I loved the story. It's definitely aimed at a younger audience than Gone Home or The Last of Us or whatever, but it's funny when it needs to be and serious when it needs to be and the characters are mostly well-rounded. It's just a shame that Square forgot about all of this when making Kingdom Hearts (which I did play on release) and the spinoffs.

I fucking despise the combat. It's slow, it's simplistic and it breaks the story flow. At the risk of sounding like Jennifer Hepler, I would rather experience FF7 without any combat whatsoever, as an interactive play.
>>
>>3215265
>It's definitely aimed at a younger audience than Gone Home or The Last of Us

You're not actually implying either of those are are deeper or better written than FF7, are you?
>>
>>3212747
I like the Tifa/ Cloud interaction.
Despite it being a popular meme that the game does not have much depth, Tifa is very complex.

She sees something is off with "Cloud" and wants so badly to beilieve it is the same kid from her home town.

Even after speaking with Hojo and realising everything that cloud has said and done is consistant with being a Jenova puppet, she still holds on to a thread of hope in the back of her mind.

The game comes full circle from the Nibelheim "promise" scene, using it as the sole memory that noone else but cloud could have known, confirming that he was the same boy from her past. From that solid foundation she helps the boy cloud find his true self and past in the lifestream.

It's not MGS2 level depth or anything but I think it is a far better love/human story than it is given credit for.
>>
>>3215271

No, but they are aimed at people who feel like they have, or have to, grow out of "video gamey" stories.
>>
>>3215275
Fair enough.
>>
>>3215273
>Despite it being a popular meme that the game does not have much depth, Tifa is very complex.

This. And it's the same with Cloud, at first he seems like the lonewolf edgelord badass archetype but we eventually see it was all just a ruse and he's actually a huge loser, he's actually a deconstruction of the very trope he's constantly mislabeled as. It's kind of baffling how something so simple and blatantly obvious is understood by so few people, maybe gamers really are just that dumb.

>It's not MGS2 level depth or anything but I think it is a far better love/human story than it is given credit for.

MGS2 isn't that deep either to be honest, in fact none of the series is. Most of Kojima's brilliant ideas were taken from various movies throughout the 70s-90s and real life trends in Japan at that time.
>>
File: 88360_front.jpg (112 KB, 620x854) Image search: [Google]
88360_front.jpg
112 KB, 620x854
>>3212747
>its another top 5 best games childhood retro extravaganza special thread

Love your thread op
>>
>>3212960
9 yes, 6 no.
>>
>>3212849
FF8 is one of the worst games in the series along with 2 and 13.
>>
>>3212828
>It's one of those pieces of media that is so revolutionary

How is it revolutionary? I like the game fine but it doesn't exactly do a whole lot Id call "revolutionary" games from the previous generation where coming up with more creative battle systems and stories
>>
File: best girl.jpg (134 KB, 311x372) Image search: [Google]
best girl.jpg
134 KB, 311x372
>>3212747
>What's everyone's favorite part?

Cid's hospitality and anytime Yuffie said or did anything

>Favorite character

Yuffie

>materia

E Skill

>boss

Diamond Weapon

>OST?

Descendant of Shinobi
>>
>>3215553
>that shit eating grin
>>
85% nostalgia.
Played through it again recently and it has aged poorly, it's clunky and just that good.
For it's time, though, it was amazing.
>>
>>3215582
So is it good or not? You're saying it aged poorly and clunky but is also "that good" also it isn't any more clunky than any other JRPG at the time.
>>
File: 1463036750619.png (209 KB, 361x361) Image search: [Google]
1463036750619.png
209 KB, 361x361
>>3215582
>aged poorly
>>
Does anyone remember the demo for final fantasy 7? Mine came with the original ps1. You have tifa in your party at the first reactor and bahumut. I never understood why there was no tifa and cool summons when I bought the game. Although I understand now that they probably wanted to show off to get people to buy it.
>>
>>3215592

I mean that, in it's time, it was amazing.
Nowadays, it's just a slighty above average RPG.
>>
File: dumb.png (95 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
dumb.png
95 KB, 640x480
That's so strange. I tried it and didnt like it. Coulnd find any good music after 3hours into the game. I didnt like the modern settings but that's just me, though. I hated the character sprites.

I stopped at pic related. What tha fuck man, endless ennemy waves in the elevator and now this infiltration shit.

I really tried guys but its just not for me.
>>
File: 1461450411660.png (230 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1461450411660.png
230 KB, 640x360
>>3215679
>le funneh language in muh retro gamez
>>
>>3215680
Sorry m8 that's the only screenshot i could find of this scene. I played the game in english.
>>
>>3215679
>Coulnd find any good music after 3hours into the game.

Well that's probably just your shit taste.
>>
>>3215679
Shinra HQ is a bit of a drag but there aren't any other places like that in the game where it's miles of bullshit and poorly-made puzzles.
>>
>>3212747
By itself? No, not really. It's got a good story but its gameplay is absolutely terrible - the only time it's engaging is when you're playing minigames, which is total fucking bullshit coming from the series that produced games like FFIV and V.

With mods that fix the gameplay? Yes, because gameplay is the biggest problem with FFVII. Despite a major plot change that detracted from the game, the New Threat mod blew the original game right out of the fucking water - combat became challenging enough to keep my interest and necessitated intelligent use of Materia as opposed to the original game letting me drool on my controller to win, resource management became key because money was in limited supply and enemies were dangerous, and characters became far more diverse due to the inclusion of character-specific passive abilities plus NT's stat boost system that gives you four different stat boosting options for each character and the equipment overhaul.
>>
>>3215679
>He took the elevator
>>
Don't want to make another thread so I'll drop my question here. Is there a 'recommended games' or 'top games' list by /vr/?
>>
>>3215796
The top games by /vr/ are the same recs you'll find all over the internet, if anyone dares say otherwise he's labelled as a hipster, a tryhard and possibly a weeaboo and closet furry.
>>
>>3215796
Vsrecommendedgames are pretty good.

It all depends of your tastes.
>>
>>3215679
U baiting comrade?
>no good music
>>
File: tbh.png (20 KB, 342x608) Image search: [Google]
tbh.png
20 KB, 342x608
>>3215826
my tastes tho
>>
>>3215340
>MGS2 isn't that deep either to be honest
In terms of thematic density and the way these ideas manifest in the game's various scenarios MGS2 is unusually meticulous and elaborate, though it comes at the cost of heavy-handedness.

He wears his inspirations on his sleeve, but MGS2 is still pretty novel for what it does and how. Whether it's good or not is up to you.
>>
File: 1463322097789-1330900613.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1463322097789-1330900613.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1440
>>3215914
>he likes 9
Shit taste desu
>>
>>3215818
Have you even been to that wiki in the last four years? It's basically a list of every single AAA game for every system with a "funny" comment attached - it is no way a list of actual good games anymore and hasn't been since the subreddit took over and started requesting identification to modify it.
>>
>>3215951
Nah, it has pretty much any good games from any console. Even hidden gems are listed there.

Find an example of something they forgot. All i can think off is that they forgot rayman 3 on their ps2 list.
>>
File: 1463323241942-53680824.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1463323241942-53680824.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1440
Who playground here?
>>
File: tuco.jpg (17 KB, 500x211) Image search: [Google]
tuco.jpg
17 KB, 500x211
>>3215926
Mgs2 is GOAT
if you never beat it on euro extreme game over if discovered you didnt beat shit
>>
>>3215951
AAA doesn't mean anything, anon.
>>
File: tifa_lockhart_fa_01.jpg (142 KB, 800x1412) Image search: [Google]
tifa_lockhart_fa_01.jpg
142 KB, 800x1412
>>3212747
Truly one of the greats and an absolute classic. The entire opening sequence in Midgar is my favorite part but there are many more memorable moments. Tifa is my waifu. Steal / Mug is my materia-bro. Opening bombing mission is my favorite track but there's many others that are really good.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the remake. Wisdom would warn that remaking a classic is surely doom personified but... I just want to believe.
>>
>>3215548
It literally defined the aesthetic of JRPGs for the 3D age that still is used to this day.
>>
>>3215995
boobs too small
>>
File: 20160515_110206.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
20160515_110206.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1440
>>3215998
They better keep this scene in the remakes
>>
>>3212813
I played it for the first time about 7 years ago. I got to some bit where I had to find a woman's costume for the main guy. I think I found one bit of it then got bored and stopped playing.

It certainly wasn't good enough to keep me playing.
>>
>>3216009
It's extremely important to have gay rape and crossdressing in full HD.
>>
>>3216036
Was it rape if he paid for it?
>>
File: mah dick.png (86 KB, 876x541) Image search: [Google]
mah dick.png
86 KB, 876x541
>>3216008
>>
File: p55532ltjus.jpg (123 KB, 881x1146) Image search: [Google]
p55532ltjus.jpg
123 KB, 881x1146
>>3216009
I hope they make them all look like Freddy Mercury.
>>
>>3215998
>It literally defined the aesthetic of JRPGs for the 3D age that still is used to this day.

Oh

I was expecting an actual answer
>>
>>3216603
>I don't think aesthetics are real things
>>
File: Cloud-ffvii-field.png (20 KB, 138x258) Image search: [Google]
Cloud-ffvii-field.png
20 KB, 138x258
>>3216617
>>
>>3216623
Low poly models with hi-res pre-rendered backgrounds are something of an aethetic and a design choice. JRPGs followed this model pretty closely after FF7, until consoles could handle something with high poly models and pre-rendered backgrounds, or large scale 3D environments.
>>
>>3216670
JRPGs weren't even the genre that made it popular.
>>
>>3216678
That may be true but after FF7 JRPGs followed that model.
>>
File: Jill_GIF_04.gif (691 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Jill_GIF_04.gif
691 KB, 640x480
>>3216670

That was Resident Evil's bag. Probably even something before that too.
>>
>>3216683

They didn't follow it BECAUSE if FF7 though. They did it because the PS1 was a fucking toaster and they couldn't literally COULDN'T do anything else.
>>
>>3216670
>What is Alone in the Dark

Wew lad.
>>
>>3216701
The same could be said about FF7 though.
>>
>>3216703

yyyyyyyyyyes? You're not really paying attention are you. Really what you're saying is the equivalent of "Other RPGs where ON CDs because FF7 was"

using pre rendered backgrounds was a common trick of early developers even before the PS1
>>
>>3216703
You're not serious are you?

Are you going to tell me that tile based maps in the third and fourth gen were following Dragon Quest's "aesthetic choices"?

You either used prerendered backgounds or old tile based maps on the PS, you simply didn't have the luxury of doing good 3d environments because the machine itself couldn't, that's why most games from the time that wanted to have top tier graphics did that, the only notable exceptions to that were Xenogears and Breath of Fire III/IV, and out of those only Breath of Fire IV managed to have good overworld graphics and had a tiny ass amount of actual world and dungeons sections compared to any FF game of the time.

It wasn't a matter of aesthetic choice, it was a matter of convenience.
>>
I'm currently replaying 7,8, 9, and 10, alternating back and forth when they each get boring (often)

for me, the FF rankings are 8 > 6 > 7 > 10 > 12 > 9 (granted I have yet to actually play through 9 - this is my first time, and I'm just to the first town)

I don't really understand the hate that 8 gets. I thought the dialogue in 7 was awful as a 9 year old. The Draw system is pretty stupid, I'll concede that point.
>>
>>3216785

Woah woah, Breath of Fire 3 had an absolute badass overworld map, one of the most comfy in any game ever.
>>
>>3216750
FF7 pioneered that format for JRPGs. That's the only point I was making.
>>
>>3216820

it was also very small and had to be broken up into seperatly loaded chunks
>>
>>3216828

and that's idiotic. Is the point Im making. Other RPGs would have used pre rendered graphics regardless of FF7 existed or not. You're not a pioneer because you do the obvious thing within your console limitations. You're giving it credit just for showing up.
>>
>>3216808
>The Draw system is pretty stupid, I'll concede that point.

It can also be completely bypassed, if you're willing to grind for 30-60 minutes before setting out proper.
>>
>>3216841
>highest budget in forever
>hurr they just showed up
>>
File: YSgBP.jpg (391 KB, 1224x1632) Image search: [Google]
YSgBP.jpg
391 KB, 1224x1632
I wouldn't say it's GOAT, but I liked it a lot.

>scuttles under a rock
>>
>>3216808
Because it has the most flaws of any Final Fantasy - whether it's the convoluted shitsoup story, the shallow and unrealistic characters, the overuse of cutscenes even in the middle of combat, every party member being interchangeable blank slates, dialogue written by a drooling mouthbreather - all of that is present in 8. However, there are new problems such as the gameplay being even more stupidly broken, the story being even less focused and lacking direction, and choosing to focus on the other games' worst aspects (particularly the romance).
>>
8 is objectively the best FF game. anyone who says otherwise is a neckbeard.
>>
>>3212830
>>3212828
/thread
>>
If you like VI, you have zero reason to hate VII. It's an advancement in every level.
>>
>>3217004

Not really but I'll bite;

VII's graphics have aged like milk whereas VI's sprite work is still awesome on many levels.

While VII does have good characters, I feel like VI's are just plain better.

Battle system is a bit better in VII.

VII literally highjacked VI's story and remade it. The correlation is obvious to anyone who played VI and then VII when they came out.
>>
>>3217043
>>3217004
Yeah I prefer the top-down view and sprite-based graphics of 6 and earlier. I suppose with 7 the pre-rendered thing was still in its infancy, while sprites were arguably mature with 6.

I don't actually like any of the FF games BTW but that's my two cents on the aesthetics.
>>
>>3216701
You're fucking retarded. Look at Beyond the Beyond and other pre-FF7 JRPGs. They don't use that aesthetic

>>3216785
Uh yes I would exactly say that. Although Dragon Quest borrowed heavily from Ultima, it absolutely did create an aesthetic that was imitated by the majority of rpgs that followed for two console generations until FF7 REVOLUTIONIZED it.
>>
>>3217043
>VII literally highjacked VI's story and remade it. The correlation is obvious to anyone who played VI and then VII when they came out.

I keep hearing this but really the only similarities I can see are with the main villains sharing a similar origin story (both were experimental super soldiers who went insane and have a god complex etc.)

Everything else is the typical "evil empire wants to control the world" stuff you find in many JRPGs.
>>
>>3217053

Well, I like FF games but I'm not like a huge fan of them really besides tactics, it's just VI takes way too much flak from VII fanboys, when it's arguably on par, or even better than 7. It certainly is in terms of story telling, considering Kefka literally destroys large portions of the world, and then presumes to reign over a devastated planet

In the end though it's all preference and any fanboy is just going to rehash 20 year old arguments that are stale as a neckbeards nutsack.
>>
>>3217085
>it's just VI takes way too much flak from VII fanboys

m8 don't even start this shit right now.
>>
>>3217076

Along with Terra and Cloud both having amnesiac and messed up memories, who both have overarching emotional problems as the game develops.

Also, the Empire enslaves the espers and uses them for their magical qualities much like Shinra etc. uses Mako as an energy source/magical experiment. Terra is part of the Esper experiments and Cloud is part of the Mako experiment.

There are other similiarities to the games also, just play them back to back and they become readily apparent.
>>
>>3217089

If you have nothing of substance to add to discussion, literally don't talk to me.
>>
>>3217105
Oh sorry, I'll just leave you with your massive victim complex then.
>>
>>3217110

There you go with the insulting and shit. I'm sitting here trying to have a legitimate discourse and you show up and

'm8 don't start this shit'
'u have a victim complex'

Chill out dude. It's like you don't even want to discuss videogames. It's like you literally didn't even read my post where I explicitly stated I'm not a huge fan of FF, only Tactics. This is perspective of an outsider looking in.
>>
>>3212747
It's not nostalgia, the game was highly praised upon release for a reason, just because people retrospectively still give it high praise doesn't make it nostalgia, that's just having a functioning memory.
>>
>>3217119

For many kids who grew up in the mid 90s who didn't have access to a SNES this was their very first RPG. A very noteworthy game as an introduction to the genre.

Personally my favorite character is Barret.
>>
>>3216272
Signed
>>
>>3217117
Legitimate discourse my ass.

>waaah why are ff7 fanboys saying mean things about ff6
>literally stop bullying me pls

Never mind that I've yet to actually see a single FF7 fanboy shit on FF6 the way FF6 fanboys constantly shit on FF7, but even if what you said was indeed true it still had nothing to do with the topic at hand and it was just you whining about some meanies somewhere out on the internet that dared to say mean things about your game. Nobody here said anything negative about FF6, not even the anon you originally replied to; he said that if you like FF6 then you have no reason to shit on FF7, and that he considers FF7 to be the better game. And so what if he does?

>This is perspective of an outsider looking in.

And "outsider looking in" wouldn't have jumped to the rescue of a game that didn't need it nor was getting shat upon. He gave his opinion, you started telling him he was wrong because you're the last line of defense against the grand evil council of FF7 fanboys plotting their next shitpost against FF6.
>>
>>3217163

6 isn't my game but you're free to think anything you want, I couldn't give a shit. Stop bullying me? Where did I literally say or imply anything like that?

I can agree nobody here legitimately shitted on VI, ok point taken. At any rate, go ahead and think I'm some huge VI fanboy, at this point you haven't discussed anything pertaining to the actual game with me, you've just insulted me and generally your posts seem mad.

So, I guess stay mad?
>>
>>3217163

Also,

>>3217076
>>3217101

Trying to talk and have an actual discussion with someone. Maybe it was you, I don't know. Eitherway, you are literally sperging out.
>>
>>3217174
>Stop bullying me? Where did I literally say or imply anything like that?

When you said "literally don't talk to me" after I told you not to start with your victim complex bullshit.

>At any rate, go ahead and think I'm some huge VI fanboy

Well if the shoe fits, wear it.

>you've just insulted me

All I did was call you out on your bullshit. You're the one who got pissy with the whole "literally don't talk to me" crap.
>>
>>3217187

Because you were literally inserting one lines in response to my post. If you have nothing of substance to say, then literally piss off.

You didn't call me on my bullshit you failed to read my posts.

You specifically missed;
>>3217085
>In the end though it's all preference~

So don't come at me with your crap.
>>
So a recent shitpile of a content-aggregator site that masquerades as a video games review site just published their rankings of the FF games.

6>12>9>4>5>7>1>3>10>13>8>2.

Anyone else take grave exception to this?
>>
>>3217181
>Eitherway, you are literally sperging out.

Says the guy who started about how FF6 was copping flak from FF7 fanboys, only to get BTFO
>>
>>3217196
I don't personally agree with it but the only hugely erroneous thing I see is 9's position. 12 is actually really good.
>>
>>3217198

It has and it does, really though you failed to read to read the entirety of my post so just stay mad.

>>3217196

For me I think it would be 5>8>6>7>9>4>12>1>2>3>10>13
>>
>>3217194
I'm going to break this down simple enough for you to understand.

In that post you were whining about FF6 supposedly copping flak from FF7 fanboys.

I told you to not start with that bullshit, to which you started pissing your panties over it.

Had you not tried to victim complex with that post I would have no issue with you. If you still don't get this then you're beyond help.

>>3217196
I don't get the appeal of 12. Literally everything about it is bland and uninteresting.
>>
>>3217213

I'm going to break this down simple enough for you to understand. Learn some reading comprehension.
>>
>>3217206
>It has and it does

Yeah I'm sure, and even if that were true that's nothing compared to the amount of FF6 fanboys I constantly see shitting on FF7 for being overrated, emo, gay, casual, nostalgia goggles, the cancer that killed Final Fantasy etc. so again, fuck off with that victim complex already.
>>
>>3217213
>I don't get the appeal of 12
Dude. The mechanics are so so so sweet. It's like a single player MMO where you can teach your party to act just exactly how you want them to.
>>
>>3217216
Seems like you're in more dire need of learning it than I am.
>>
File: ahaha.jpg (23 KB, 480x472) Image search: [Google]
ahaha.jpg
23 KB, 480x472
>>3212747
>final fantasy vii
>one of the greatest games of all time
>>
>>3217218

Ok, did you see me relentlessly smashing on VII? No, because I think it's a good game. Again, in my post I stated it was mainly personal preference, I don't see what you don't understand. Sorry if my post offended you dude, but seriously just chill.
>>
>>3217226
Holy shit you really should learn some reading comprehension, because that's not at all what I was addressing.
>>
>>3217230

Obviously you're just a literal sperg. Sorry you're so triggered dude.
>>
>>3217220
Meh, I never liked MMOs. Though I guess I can understand the appeal. That's still doesn't explain the story and characters being blander than blander and the license board being all sorts of retarded.
>>
>>3217239
Pot, meet kettle.
>>
>>3217196
>no XI
>X below I and III

B+

Acceptable.

>>3217206
>no XI
>VIII above VII, IX, IV, XII, X

C-

See me after class.

>>3217241
>XII is an MMO
>>
>>3217250

Well, I didn't want to count XI on the account of it being an MMO and not a traditional rpg like the rest of em.

Also with VIII, it's just my personal preference.
>>
>>3217259
The MMOs are just as deserving of a rank as any of the other flagship installations of Final Fantasy. That said, XI must be placed on-top of the list and XIV (ARR) somewhere near the bottom with XIII.

And I suppose I can let the VIII thing slide since the story, music and cozy setting make up for its less-than-desirable technical aspects, such as its leveling and draw schemes.

I'll bump your grade up to a B+
>>
>>3217268

Thanks teach.

Honestly I had ALOT of friends who were into XI but I was wrapped up in other stuff at the time so I never got a chance to play it.
>>
>>3217272
The good thing about XI is that they never elbow dropped their content like WoW did. In other words WoW completely changed all of the content that was originally in the game while XI left theirs in.

What that means is that you can still subscribe to XI and see all the old content for yourself. However the community, world and overall sense of exploration won't be the same for you as it was for someone who played it a decade ago. There are private servers available but none of them are perfect.

I'd highly recommend either despite all that. It's truly squarenix' magnum opus.
>>
>>3217291

Thanks, as I have more freetime these days, I'll definitely check out some FFXI as soon as I clear off my very short backlist of games. Are there any good free to play servers?
>>
>>3217290
I don't hate it, first of all. Second drawing is boring. Last cards and the leveling scheme make it too easy to get max stats far too early. It's not plagued by bugs like I and II, but it's on par with VI and III with how silly its.

>>3217294
I'd recommend Nasomi private server. Pretty sure it's still around.
>>
>>3217301

Alright, will definitely check it out.
>>
I'm playing FFVII myself at the moment for the first time in 16 years. Holy shit, that's a long time.

>Favorite part:
On this playthrough it's probably the flashback to Zack saving Cloud from the mansion basement. I didn't even know this scene happened, I just decided to walk around the Shinra mansion when I was back in Nibelheim playing the piano to get Final Heaven.
>Favorite Character
Tifa, hands down.
>Favorite music
The spooky/sad world map music after Meteor is summoned
>>
>>3216820
Mate, BoF3 had a miniscule amount of overworld and most areas were barren as fuck, plust it wasn't as detailed as BoF4, even something like Arc the Lad 3 had a significant amount of detail in its overworld and dungeons compared to BoF3.
>>3217062
>>3217062
>Look at Beyond the Beyond and other pre-FF7 JRPGs.
>They don't use that aesthetic
Wew lad, color me fucking surprised, we're talking about games hat were basically launch titles made by tiny ass developers without the manpower, money and talent of Square and had no idea on how to use the console's hardware, what's next? Are you going to tell me that First Queen IV didn't use prerendered backgrounds for the same reason?
Again, go play some Alone in the Dark if you think FFVII set any kind of aesthetic standard regarding prerendered backgrounds, people were ALREADY using them since years.

>Uh yes I would exactly say that

Then I'm afraid you'll have to clean up that common sense of yours a bit.
Because if you're going to tell me stuff like Wizardry invented the first person view approach to RPG or FFVII made prerendered backgrounds an aesthetic standard people who are over 30 or actually play games will laugh at you.
>>
>>3212747
Favorite part would be Tifa and Cloud in the lifestream
Favorite character/materia/boss/OST would be Cloud then Vincent/ Flash/ Pagoda bosses/ Jenova ABSOLUTE then Those who fight then Opening(bombing mission theme) then those who fight further
>>
>>3218417

Dude, in BoF4 the world map is literally just connect the dots overview kinda like final fantasy tactics. Get the hell outta here.
>>
>>3218721

it's also massive as hell and is filled with lots of nooks and crannies
>>
>>3218417
Dude wtf is wrong with you? Not that "low poly models over prerendered backdrops" is the entireity of the aesthetic of FF7 but if budget was the only reason why Camelot didn't do it then why did every low budget and high budget RPG alike afterward replicate it almost exactly? Not that AITD was an RPG either but there were plenty of CRPGs that came out after it and before FF7 but I suppose there's some reason you can come up with that FF7 was just lucky to be the first of a hundred to use what you seem to think was so obviously the next step for RPGs. Jesus why do you hate FF7 so irrationally? Did a Zach cosplayer fuck your girlfriend or something? Be honest.
>>
>>3219836

I'm certainly not denying that. However, saying BoF4 has a better world map than 3 is ludicrous at best, considering that 4 doesn't really have a world map and is just full of areas. You search them, done. Besides grinding said areas and looking for the ? areas you don't really revisit much. Also, 3's map isn't really that barren, there's actually quite a bit going on. However, this is all just my opinion. Anyway, sorry if I initially came off as rude.
>>
any recommendations on the best way to play this if I have the PS1 discs but don't have a Playstation?

I currently have a PS2 and PS3 as well as pSX and ePSXe
>>
Everybody hated it when it came out. I remember this very clearly.
>>
>>3220683
pSX a best.
>>
>>3218709
I think Flowers in the Church might be my favorite song... that song made me fucking cry once
>>
>>3220694
I totally believe you.
>>
File: Demon's_Gate_FFVII.png (111 KB, 729x428) Image search: [Google]
Demon's_Gate_FFVII.png
111 KB, 729x428
>>3215709
>miles of bullshit and poorly-made puzzles
>only section

what is the Temple of the Ancients for 500$? It does get points for having one of my favorite boss fights, simply for all the asshurt he causes whenever he's brought up.

also
>favorite character
tie between Cid and Barret
>favorite part
Anything involving Midgar, Junon, the reactors, or just the technology of the world in general
>Materia
in terms of usefulness, E.Skill
>boss
tie between Carry Armor, Demon's Gate, Rapps, and Schizo
>Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7EVCuK7ZqM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-FdsYXXDrc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1LTS0vpVjI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCNPpYAkNKA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBRAkpXTmCs
>>
>>3212747
nah, i went back to find it just as playable now as it was then. i think ff6 was better, but they're only similar in setting.

Best part of the game is when Cloud hops into the listerine and puts himself together. I thought it was pretty well visualized and has the added bonus as him not behaving like a one dimensional cunt for the remains of the game.

RedXIII and his daddy issues really made me relate to him. Also giant talking cat.

I always thought the Kjata summon was the coolest.

Favorite boss would have to be the midgar zolom, blasting me away and calling me beta for ignoring the plot.

Favorite OST would be wutai theme-
Heres a remix with it paired with my other favorite OST. Lot's of mellow feels contained within.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDLUdo3zgIk
>>
Vincent/Neo Bahamut/the Turks/Turks theme
>>
>>3212747
Are you fucking kidding me? Its quite possibly the greatest game ever made
>>
>>3212747

>Favourite part
Probably the group "There ain't no gettin' offa this train!" as the music kicks in, your crew is back together, and you're back in the Highwind.
Or Red XIII howling up at his crying Dad

>Favourite character
Cid. Dat running style, and out of control swearing.

>Materia
Counter-attack. There's something inherently satisfying about the 'no, fuck you' after you get hit. Also, getting HP UPs in Cosmo Canyon is a turning point.

>Music
Aeris' theme.
>>
File: 1405718970959.jpg (4 KB, 119x113) Image search: [Google]
1405718970959.jpg
4 KB, 119x113
>>3217196
>6 and 12 that close together
>5 below 4 and 6
>10 that low
I don't understand. Were they rating this by storyline only? It would make more sense that way.
>>
>>3222492
12's story isn't great so mechanics must count for a lot. 5 really does have great mechanics but I guess some people don't appreciate them fully.
>>
>>3212957
I agree so I will say this was a good post
>>
>>3212969
It's funny with that new port it's also the fastest.
Thread replies: 161
Thread images: 22

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.