[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So since Star Fox Zero is confirmed to be shit, let's look
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7
File: starfox-puppets.jpg (64 KB, 640x410) Image search: [Google]
starfox-puppets.jpg
64 KB, 640x410
So since Star Fox Zero is confirmed to be shit, let's look back on this series and discuss the actual good games.

Which are your favorites out of 1, 2 and 64?
>>
>>>/v/
Try there
>>
>>3212435
space harrier
>>
Starfox 1 is my shit
>>
>>3212435
what was wrong with star fox zero?
>>
>>3212517
Go ask /v/.

I wish Nintendo would release Star Fox 2. The game is fucking legit as hell and if I played it back in '95, it would have been among my most played SNES games.
>>
Starfox 64, loved everything about it.

But 2 looked to be a great sequel in its own right (for and SNES game), if it had ever seen the light of day. Played some of it and enjoyed it too.
>>
>>3212517
I don't know why people have any expectations of Nintendo anymore, let alone the Star Fox franchise, not that I've played it or care

>>3212519
What the world needs is Star Fox 1 running at 60fps in stereoscopic 3D (which will never, ever happen) but I wouldn't mind it they did the same for 2 (but they won't)
>>
>>
>>3212527
>Star Fox 1 on the 3DS with good 3D and additional game modes, like an M2 port

Never ever.
>>
First game had good tier music
>>
>>3212435
1, 2 and 64 are all great games in their own right but I think 64 is where the series peaked. The sharper 3d and much higher framerate makes it considerably more playable, and the devs got really creative with the level/character designs. It's one of my favorite games from that generation.
>>
File: duane 2 tha max.webm (179 KB, 532x385) Image search: [Google]
duane 2 tha max.webm
179 KB, 532x385
>>3212536
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfRSUNhTfkM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsOEGPLa1Z4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkYCFBnvPLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKcxoyY2xfA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxyECETuvF4
>>
>>3212527

I'd settle for 60fps. I loved that game, but got a terrible headache every time I played it.
>>
I really wish they didn't add the lock-on feature. I don't like it very much.
>>
>>3212435
This pic still creeps the fuck out of me 20 odd years later.
>>
Had spoilt rich kid friend when I was younger.

He (or should I say his parents) splashed out £150 on StarFox. Thats how much it was to buy on import when it was released.

Thats about £240 today or $345.
>>
File: stars.jpg (140 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
stars.jpg
140 KB, 1280x720
>>3212764
Don't worry. Nobody will ever again put that much effort in a game's promo artwork
>>
>>3213154
Yeah I'm sure I read at the time those puppets cost Nintendo hundreds of thousands to make.
>>
>>3212536
Yeah, it had some nice variety. Don't get me wrong, I like 64's soundtrack too, but it's almost all orchestral. SF1 had orchestral as well as rock, and even some funky jazz for Fortuna and a waltz for Sector Y.
>>
>>3212536

First and second game. Can't believe the nosedive music took when Koji Kondo composed. Almost as bad change of style as Crash.
>>
What the best way to enjoy StarFox 64?

The original or 3DS remake?
>>
>>3213203

Who was the composer for the first two?
>>
>>3213184
Yeah that waltz, if it's the one I'm thinking of, was very Holst. That level with the stingrays right?
>>
>>3213156
Money =/= effort.

Is Zero really that bad? I was planning on buying it.
>>
>>3212435
1 is the best. 64 is awesome, but too easy. 2 is just OK. The structure of the game is kinda weird. They should have made it more like the original.
>>
File: starderp.png (2 MB, 1660x916) Image search: [Google]
starderp.png
2 MB, 1660x916
>>3213413
They are still hand-made posable puppets, with actual fur/feathers and custom-made costumes and accessories, anon. In this case, it did cost a lot of money because it involved a lot more effort than pic related for example (IDK about thousands of dollars tho)
>>
>>3213421
Are you saying those puppets required the same or more effort as the original ones?
>>
>>3213236

Different ones. Star Fox 2 had two female composers, and they followed up the original wonderfully.
>>
File: sit down and lets talk.jpg (513 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
sit down and lets talk.jpg
513 KB, 1600x1200
The first and original one, of course.
Off topic: also the non-official cartoon is awesome lol.

https://youtu.be/AOPx4s0sxfU
>>
>>3212435
The puppets were such a great choice for an artstyle. I used to watch Thunderbirrd reruns and it's such an obvious Gerry Anderson homage.
>>
>>3213413

It's okay. I didn't like the controls at first but I like them more the more I play it. The boss battles are really the only parts where you need to pay attention to both screens which is kinda finnicky sometimes (but not to the point of being unplayable), but the rest of the game plays just like SF64 with more precise controls.

It has a definite "retro" vibe to the gameplay that I really like. I honestly think the main reason people hate it is because most gamers today don't really "get" that retro vibe and expect everything to be a handholdy movie experience, so something like this that requires a learning curve makes them angry.

Even after you manage to get all 70 medals, the arcade mode keeps the game interesting by saving your high score for each route separately.
>>
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 425x413) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 425x413
>>3213506
>The first and original one
>>
>>3213529
>It has a definite "retro" vibe to the gameplay that I really like. I honestly think the main reason people hate it is because most gamers today don't really "get" that retro vibe and expect everything to be a handholdy movie experience, so something like this that requires a learning curve makes them angry.

I watched the GameExplain discussion on it, and it had The Completionist to. Their issue essentially was that by the time they got over the learning curve they were near the end of the game and they had no motivation to playthrough again. So maybe that's more what people are experiencing, although I'm sure that is also happening right now. Especially with literal kids.

The completionist mentioned he got really good at the controls in co-op mode though...but I have no friends so I didn't bother buying it after I heard that.
>>
>>3213538

I never played the co-op mode and I managed to get pretty good at the controls by my 3rd playthrough (when I started going for the medals)
>>
>>3213413

it is a very good game but not perfect.

It is basically a game for almostnobody.

It is a rail shooter with motion controls that are not that easy to learn, comparable to using a flight stick for a pc simulator.

You have to like those 2 things to enjoy it, and the game, and even if you do like those 2 things, it is more of an 8/10 game than a 10/10.
To be a 10/10 it needed more levels, and to replace the helicopter + detachable robot levels replaced by normal ones, and also multiplayer, since mastering a challening control scheme (that works perfectly) for a 3 hours rail shooter seems like akmost a waste, with multiplayer you could have dogfights against other people.

I like the game a lot, but I understand if many people dont. Although, to be sincere, I would expect almost all modern reviewers to hate a game like Ecco the Dolphin (that I consider 10/10) because of the controls.
>>
>>3213542

also, I rented Star Fox for SNES in Blockbuster when I was 9 and beat it in my first playthrough, my kids age 7 and 5 absolutely sucked at Star Fox Zero, didnt understand the controls. This is a game with talking animals that is not for kids, it makes it extremely niche.
>>
>>3213534

Holly satan anon.
>>
File: Starfoxismediocre.jpg (1 MB, 912x1434) Image search: [Google]
Starfoxismediocre.jpg
1 MB, 912x1434
>>3213413
>>
>>3212527
>>3212573
Are you guys aware SuperFX overclocking is a thing? Can be done on emulators too, at least with libretro's snes9x forks and maybe bsnes mercury too. Not sure if you get 60fps but it will let you run without slowdown.
>>
>>3213542

I'd personally give Ecco a bad review because I found it extremely dull. It's annoying, because I fully recognise it's a beautifully put together game, but it just puts me to sleep.

As for Nintendo, I've pretty much given up on them. If they focused their attentions on simply making good games again instead of being intent on cramming as many gimmicks as possible into them just for the hell of it, they'd me way more popular. I'm fully expecting the NX console to be virtual reality underwear.
>>
>>3213691
nx is all speculation
but it seems that Nintendo is going all handheld
as in, every game is made for the handheld, and the home console is just something that lets you play the handheld games on a tv in 1080p instead of 540p, perhaps with better textures and framerate in some cases.

I would be like that, but then, all is speculation and leaks so far.
>>
>>3213727
>"Our console is now also our handheld"
It sounds just gimmicky enough to be a Nintendo move.
>>
>>3213612
What a shame. Nintendo seems to fuck up everything it touches these days, except for the Mario games and spinoffs. Who knows about the new Zelda
>>
64 is the one I grew up with.
>>
>>3212550
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bvujA_MIJU
>>
64 > 1 > 2

SF2 was a bit too experimental for its own good.
>>
>>3213685

No, I wasn't aware.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.