[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How about a thread about "okay" games for change? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 13
File: 1391608-xardion.jpg (24 KB, 431x291) Image search: [Google]
1391608-xardion.jpg
24 KB, 431x291
How about a thread about "okay" games for change? I can't be the only one who is tired of seeing the exact same threads about the exact same "overrated" and "underrated" games that usually consist the exact same arguments about which term should be applied to which game? So try thinking about the most okay game you can think of and write a small description of it.

I just finished pic related and it is the most okay game I have played in a while. Every single aspect of Xardion was so okay nothing about it really stands out but I still had a good time with it and will recommend anyone who hasn't played it giving it a go. The game itself really is your average run of the mill action platformer that features a space/robot/mecha theme, very generic gameplay, level design and enemies. To give it some credit it does have a RPG like experience/level system and 3 characters for you to control that attempt to give it some uniqueness.
>>
OK games?

Well, STG Strike Gunner was pretty O.K. in my book. It did its job, was rather good without really messing anything up.
>>
File: transbot-usa-europe.png (172 KB, 350x503) Image search: [Google]
transbot-usa-europe.png
172 KB, 350x503
I'll play.

Fun little side scrolling space shooter. Music is kinda cool but just loops the same thing. Only two levels iirc that repeat so you're basically going for high score which is fun with some pals. Plus I always thought those SMS cards were nifty.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_RFF2XXbVQ
>>
File: 117519-xardion-snes-front-cover.jpg (385 KB, 800x1450) Image search: [Google]
117519-xardion-snes-front-cover.jpg
385 KB, 800x1450
>>3211931
The cover art and the mech design in general do not deserve to be as awesome as they are.
>>
File: robotrek-02.png (184 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
robotrek-02.png
184 KB, 640x480
plays like pokemon game and has a unique battle system
>>
File: phalanx68k.png (38 KB, 824x580) Image search: [Google]
phalanx68k.png
38 KB, 824x580
>>3211931

My best friend had this game growing up. I borrowed it from him a bunch and we both played the shit out of Xardion.

In its defense, it was a launch title for the snes (or so close that it might as well have been). The game itself feels like a fairly ambitious NES game that just happened to be released on more powerful hardware. Its got some really cool ideas like hollow planets with internal suns, living bioweapon planets, a freaking space elevator level and a nice plot twist later on. I think the music is pretty catchy too. For an "OK" game it still has a few things that make it worth playing through if you're really curious.

My pick is Phalanx, a pretty fun shmup with nice art from the era that has absolutely nothing to differentiate it from the dozens of other side scrolling shooters of the early 90s (other than its snes box art).
>>
>>3211973
Xardion looks Zeorymer as FUCK on that cover.
>>
>>3212161
Phalanx kicks fucking ass. It's YOU who is just O.K.
>>
>>3212487
Both by the same mecha designer.
>>
>>3211931

NO!!!!! GAMES ARE ONLY PERFECT OR SHIT! NO IN-BETWEEN! STOPP IT'S EITHER A 10/10 OR IT'S GARBAGE! YOU'RE RUINING EVERYTHING!!!!
>>
File: riotzone.jpg (195 KB, 640x634) Image search: [Google]
riotzone.jpg
195 KB, 640x634
Riot Zone is my favorite Final Fight-type belt-scroller on a console that was pretty lacking when it came to the genre. While the arcade version (Riot City) is probably the superior version, being 2P and all, I prefer overall aesthetics on the PCE for some reason.
>>
File: LastGaem.png (10 KB, 256x223) Image search: [Google]
LastGaem.png
10 KB, 256x223
I'll bite.

Exhaust Heat (also know as F1 ROC - Race of Champions) is an early racing game for the SNES that is based around the 1992 Formula 1 season. Like Mario Kart it uses Mode 7 graphics and plays in very similar manner apart from not having weapons, power ups or drifting mechanics. Unlike Mario Kart you obviously drive through the entire season featuring 16 races, earn money by doing well in said races and use the money to upgrade your car to make it better.

IMHO the only thing keeping this game from being good is the fact it is WAY too easy (you can easily win the world championship first time around buying little to no upgrades for your car) on top of this most upgrades barely affect the performance or handling of your car making them pretty pointless. Also there are small oddities like the tracks barely resembling their real-life counterparts, races being held in wrong order during the season and the names of drivers and teams being misspelled.

Still this is a game I occasionally come back to and enjoy playing every single time even if it is an OK game at best. Why? Maybe it is because it is a simple no bullshit racing game where you only swap some parts around before races and just drive instead of spending most of your time in menus and loading screens like in modern racing games? Maybe it is because I seem to have a soft spot for games like Super Off Road and Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat and Exhaust Heat basically being a mode 7 version of them?
>>
File: dariustwin.jpg (67 KB, 455x320) Image search: [Google]
dariustwin.jpg
67 KB, 455x320
Darius Twin.

I really like it, it's a lot of fun, but I know that it's very average for a shooter.
The music is...well, average, I like it though, fits nicely with the game.
I'd say it's best feature is 2p co-op.

Really not much more I can say about Darius Twin, honestly. It's fairly easy, much easier than Sagaia/Darius II on the Genesis/Mega Drive, so it's perfect for people who aren't that great at shooters or those who are looking to get into the genre.
>>
>>3212161
Awesome. My favorite mediocre shooter. I loved how it was hidden in the Playstation version of Zero Divide.
>>
>>3213712
Something about this game feels stodgy and sterile to me, kind of a Euro or DOS PC game kind of feel... am I crazy? I was playing Darius II on Genesis last night, actually, and thought that felt a lot more fluid and lively. Thumbs up to both games overall though.
>>
>>
File: cyborg-justice.jpg (142 KB, 550x280) Image search: [Google]
cyborg-justice.jpg
142 KB, 550x280
The controls are clunky and the levels are bland, repetitive, and slow, but desighning your own robot is cool and multiplayer is fun. Also you can rip your opponents arms off.
>>
File: assault_rigs.jpg (123 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
assault_rigs.jpg
123 KB, 600x600
personally this is among my favorites from the generation, but most would probably classify it as 'decent'

check out the intro video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY-ZxkpHLJ0

tell me that isn't completely amazing.
>>
>>3215456
>I loved how it was hidden in the Playstation version of Zero Divide
Happened quite often for shooter like this. The game Bio Metal for the SNES got a sequel on Dazaemon 2 for the Saturn.
>>
>>3218312
that floor begs for hdma effects. It also looks like it's probably not having any
>>
This guy thinks the same as me. Gran chaser.

https://youtu.be/7W60TxdGhLA
>>
>>3218497
Wow! A guy on YouTube that thinks like an anonymous poster on 4chan??!? Now THIS I gotta check out!!
>>
>>3215484
I had this game on a demo disc which came with my PS1 (the grey one)

In it was also demo for this early contender for "PS1 air combat game", Bogey Dead Six, which seems to fit the bill here neatly too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0mhtrvLOYY
>>
>>3218497
What kind of arrogant tool goes around looking for people that think like him?
>>
>>3218505
Nyuk nyuk

This anon fell for my plan

Next I'll take over the world
>>
File: 48410_front[1].jpg (145 KB, 640x909) Image search: [Google]
48410_front[1].jpg
145 KB, 640x909
Wolfchild for the Amiga, later ported to SNES and basically every Sega console on the market in 1992.

It's a pretty generic jump and shoot game, starring a white-haired jeans-and-jacket protagonist straight from a bad 90's comic book. When you earn a certain amount of health, you turn into a wolf and your fist weapon can shoot lasers. I was surprised it actually ISN'T based on a comic.

It's riddled with small problems; your "enhanced" laser fist only has one projectile at a time, so you actually attack slower without it. Plus, the sprites are a bit too large to see far ahead, and it quickly relies on "easy difficulty" design, such as
>if you get hit you fall down back to the start and have to backtrack
and
>being hit by enemies popping from the floor unless you slowly inch along beforehand

However, the huge amount of health you have offsets any real challenge the game offers, and the bad design feels very easy to overcome.

The Genesis version probably has the best soundtrack conversion, as the music is mixed tepidly and sounds very muted on every other console.
>>
>>3218508
Thought experiment, kekk.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.