[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Pokemon Gen 1 and 2 General: Remember when starters looked good
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 620x413
I miss the old games...
>>
>>>/vp/
>>
File: 1462881614449.gif (370 KB, 490x750) Image search: [Google]
1462881614449.gif
370 KB, 490x750
Great thread for your facebook tier opinions OP.
>>
>>3210941
People have been saying this for years but I do agree that this is the first gen where I genuinely do not like two out of three of the starters.

But since you posted a gen VII picture you do need to go to /vp/, where they will subsequently tell you to fuck off for being a nostalgiafag. Here's a tip: Post a picture of the new games on the non-retro Pokemon board if you want to talk about the new games. Post a picture of the old games on the retro games board i fyou want to talk about the old games. Don't mix and match.
>>
I'm fine with the designs, it's just unfortunate that the Pokemon franchise has not improved. The battle system is archaic. Rather than making it a fun game to play competitively with your friends, they made it so it takes 100 hours and a shitload of luck to get a single monster to its maximum potential.

Why are random battles in tall grass still a thing? It makes me mad. Such a waste.
>>
>>3210962
Random battles are fine. The battle system has also improved significantly from the broken mess it was in gen I. Problem is just that some Pokémon and abilities are just so overpowered compared to the others that it's impossible to have a decent balance in any sort of competive play. I'm not saying every Pokémon should be equally viable but when you give a shitmon like Kangaskhan an ability that suddenly turns it into one of the best Pokémon in the game, maybe you need to re-evaluate this ability you introduced.

There's nothing wrong with turn-based battles (I assume that's what you meant by 'archaic'). Etrian Odyssey, for example, does turn based battles extremely well, although admittedly there are less abilities and classes to juggle as there are moves and Pokémon.

IV breeding/EV training is shit currently but making every Pokémon exactly the same is also not the answer, since Pokémon should be individuals shaped by genes and experience, it's part of the lore. Not every Growlithe is the same just like how not every dog is the same.
>>
>>3210941
I dunno. The cat looks alright, and there's been worse than that owl.
>>
File: image.gif (998 KB, 720x524) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
998 KB, 720x524
That water starter looks like dogshit, who thought this was a good idea?
>>
>>3210941
Are you implying gen 2 had good starters? They look just as bad as these new ones
>>
>>3210941
>I miss the old games...
literally what
just go fucking play them you fucking nostalgic spaz
>>
>>3210941
If I was 12 and still into pokemon I would totally choose that cute little cat as a starter.
>>
>>3211009
No they don't. Those look like official starters.

OP's look like fan drawn shit.
>>
>>3211009

I guess I'd never really thought about it, but what the fuck is Chikorita supposed to be?
>>
>>3211261
a limabean
>>
>>3211261
A pear dinosaur.
>>
>>3211261
An unripe banana.
>>
>>3211259
No they don't, they have the exact same design philosophy behind both. If anything that one with the leaf coming out of its head is the garbage one.
>>
File: original.gif (823 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
original.gif
823 KB, 640x360
>>3210941

>implying Litten and Rowlett aren't awesome

Started with Gen 1. I like every starter up until Gen 5 where I dislike Oshawott and Tepig/Snivy is ok. Gen 6's Fennekin and Froakie are also ok but i don't like Chespin.

I don't know what's wrong with you people, that cat looks great.
>>
File: leaf eater.jpg (26 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
leaf eater.jpg
26 KB, 500x281
>>3211261
A leaf eater
>>
>>3210941
>Genwunner comes here to bitch because he knows he can't get away with it in /vp/
>>
the game is too easy. pomefans defend by saying not to use exp shate which is dumb. the exp should only work on 1 pomemon at a time like in gen 4. you should have to grind in order to fight bosses too. why give a shit about the pokemon if not? you might as well catch some random pokemon and spam the a button
>>
>OLD POKEMON IS SO MUCH BETTER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pa6SGYWADU

I always laugh when people say Gen 1 is scary and oppressive. Well, no shit, you were 7 when you played it.
>>
File: Listen here, dipshit.jpg (36 KB, 500x384) Image search: [Google]
Listen here, dipshit.jpg
36 KB, 500x384
All the Pokemon games have their ups and downs in varying departments, and every generation has their fair share of fantastic designs and garbage designs (you can't tell me Muk and Electrode are a work of art with a straight face).

Mechanically, the games have just gotten better and better. But the difficulty for said games have been going down the shitter since Gen 4. It's not that we're getting older and gitting gud - they are legitimately getting easier. It was even stated in an interview that the Battle Frontier would never make a return because it was "too hard", and another time it was mentioned that the Arceus event was removed because "kids are too dumb to understand it".

The new generation will have plenty of fine designs (I, personally, like Rowlet and Popplio), and I'm sure the rest of the generation will also have more shitty designs as well.

Gen wars are fucking stupid, and you're stupid for invoking them.
>>
File: Electrode Eww.jpg (36 KB, 603x402) Image search: [Google]
Electrode Eww.jpg
36 KB, 603x402
>>3211838
>implying Electrode is bad
>implying Popplio is good
baka senpai
>>
>>3210989
The lore tells us to make friends with Pokemon and trust in their strength, not to breed 2000 clones and pick the most genetically superior. Worst argument ever.

I have no problem at all with turn-based battles, but you have to admit the one-on-one or two-on-two flat battlefield style of gameplay is really outdated. The addition of more elaborate models and attack animations have only made the games look like games that came out in 2008. Pokemon is behind.
>>
>>3210996
Poppilo has that modern Pokémon/Game Freak esque face to it. Rowlet looks okay, but his nose looks plain weird. Litten is the only new Pokémon which looks like it belongs in the older generations.
>>
>>3211838
Muk and Electro are works of art. People never come around to realizing that Pokemon's setting was just a standard SnS RPG with a punk urban veneer.
>>
I can tolerate pretty much every generation, but man Gen 7's starters aren't making a good impression

The owl is okay, but Litten especially looks like something you'd find part way into the game instead of starter material
>>
>>3210941

Aside from the seal, these are the best starter designs we've had since gen 4, and IMO, gen 4's starters were almost as good as gen 1's. Of course, I'll have to see their evolutions to get a proper impression of them.
>>
>>3210989
The breeding ridiculousness is something people do by choice, not something which is standard in the Pokémon world. You're not *supposed* to occupy yourself with it, Pokémon are supposed to each be unique in their own way.

That said, in real life horses and dogs are also bred in similar ways in order to enhance certain traits for the purpose of winning various competitions, and there's also a lot of things wrong with that.
>>
>>3210941
honestly the owl looks pretty good. Water dude is eh, cat's just a cat.

Gen V was the only real shitter gen.

Also holy shit it took 6 more gens for there to be another starter who starts with dual typing
>>
As a very strong "Early Gen" enthusiast I think more people need to consider conceding a few things.
First, it's probably best to realize that most of us are more upset that the design work is not consistent across the series, not necessarily that the designs are bad (key words: not necessarily).
Second, as much as I truly believe Sugimori's work was better earlier on, it does have the benefit of coming first and setting the tone of the series. If Gen 3 was our first generation and 1 and 2's style continued until today, then the issue today would be they changed it up too much, not that it was an outright bad change. (again: necessarily)

Things other people should consider is that fans of earlier gen's design work does not mean "I love each and every single pokemon from 1 and 2". Pointing things out like "grimer exists" or "magnemite and magneton exist" is not some lethal jab at someone's tastes, it's possible to have had least favorite designs back then as well. I think if anything, the idea that bad designs across the series were not stamped out is more of an insult to the series.

Eh, what I can't stand the most though is people who straight up ignore art decisions. Even ridiculous arguing over them is better than saying "oh no I think they look good in <insert gen> that means they're the same quality as always" without being capable of discussing fundamental artistic decisions.
>>
>whining about these totally decent designs when last gen had the fow with the "fuck me" eyes that evolved into an anthro fox with a built in skirt

These are godlike compared to the absolute garbage of gen 6.
>>
>>3211009
Whether a starter looks good or bad has nothing to do with what it looks like and everything to do with which gen you prefer and how autistic you are.
>>
File: 1407715904352.jpg (16 KB, 500x558) Image search: [Google]
1407715904352.jpg
16 KB, 500x558
>>3214636
>"fuck me" eyes

They're regular cartoon animal eyes.
>>
File: Braixen-Official-Art_300dpi.jpg (826 KB, 1393x2151) Image search: [Google]
Braixen-Official-Art_300dpi.jpg
826 KB, 1393x2151
>>3214923

>lidded eyes with long eyelashes

Nice try, this thing is a piece of shit.
>>
>>3215040
sounds like you really want to fuck a pokemon bro, sorry
>>
>>3215062

Nice try fag, but I like dudes, not foxgirls. If you can't see the blatant furry pandering in that design, that's your own problem.
>>
>>3215063
it's ok man, i'm not judging you for secretly wanting to fuck a pokemon.
>>
>>3215040
>>3215062
>>3215063
>>3215067

This is stupid. Braixen is a ok pokemon. It's Delphox that I don't like, personally.

The anon complaining likely also thinks Bahamut from Final Fantasy panders to furries. He's a retard.
>>
>>3215068

What, just because he's a big dragon with a butt modeled? That's completely different from "generic fox furry with a skirt." What's next, acting like Mega Lopunny isn't furshit pandering when they gave it fucking ripped leggings? This is a joke, right?
>>
>>3215076

The common shitpost on /v/ regarding Bahamut is that he panders to furries.

I believe the people that do it call Final Fantasy "Final Furshit" almost solely because of bahamut and the races that aren't human in the games.

I don't know what else to tell you anon. I'm just typing out observations I've made.
>>
>>3210941
the proportions are wrong on the water and grass ones. Do we have the final evolutions yet? Is the cat fire / fighting?
>>
>>3215091
We won't see evolutions for these until 1-2 months before release at the earliest.
>>
>>3210941
I'm not even a genwunner or whatever, but these starters are fucking trash
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.