[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://segabits.com/blog/2016/04/20 /sega-europe-announces-f
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: mdhub.jpg (236 KB, 1254x434) Image search: [Google]
mdhub.jpg
236 KB, 1254x434
http://segabits.com/blog/2016/04/20/sega-europe-announces-free-mega-drive-classics-hub-for-steam-releasing-april-28/

>Videogame companies officially endorsing emulation and piracy
Where were you when collectorfags just got blown the fuck out?
>>
File: KyIU51m.gif (3 MB, 294x238) Image search: [Google]
KyIU51m.gif
3 MB, 294x238
>>3209551
>collectorfags just got blown the fuck out?

posting mfw
>>
File: 1457583297609.gif (1 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1457583297609.gif
1 MB, 500x500
>tfw you're a collectorfag
>>
>>3209551
>emulation = original hardware
t. Millennial
>>
>>3209551
>piracy
Could you explain to me how this is piracy? You're paying the company for the game...

Also, if anything this is a positive for collectorfags because it could theoretically tank the market, making what they're hunting for cheaper.
How fucking stupid are you OP?
>>
>>3209601
He probably meant resellers or something
>>
The only problem is that this emulator is shit, Fusion works so much better and looks prettier.
>>
does this mean they have a great filter for pc that makes the game look like on a crt? otherwise I dont care.
>>
>>3209657

"Pirate" emulators had that for years now
>>
>>3209658
I know, but I imagine if a big company makes an effort they can create something better than people who work on emulators as a hobby.
>>
>>3209551
so it's just a virtual bedroom to look around in while playing the roms I bought off steam?

I mean really? Who gives a fuck?
>>
>>3209551
Yeah OP this will crush those stupid Jew collectors just like the Virtual Console did
>>
>>3209706
>comparing this to Virtual Console
Full fucking retard.
>>
>>3209715
How is it different?
>>
>>3209716
You can't use mods or hacks on the VC, unlike with the MD Hub.
>>
>>3209719
Oh.
>>
>>3209716
On the virtual console you buy your roms from nintendos online shop then play them on a real tv in a real room on your nintendo console. On this you buy your roms from steam then play them on a virtual tv in a virtual room on your pc
>>
>>3209726
So the virtual console is better...

What does using hacks "legally" have to do with original hardware if collectors don't play hacks?

This is only good for the buyfags that wanted to try hacks and now they can do it being good citizens.
>>
>>3209719
Yes you can. You just inject the hacked rom into the .wad
>>
>Sega once again embracing the bleeding edge of video gaming with little regard for the financial implications
based
>>
you guys only just found out about this?

remember there is a ton of pirate-quality genesis hardware that sega officially licenses because they chose to join 'em rather than beat 'em.
due to the fact they dont offer any tools to modify 25 year old console binaries, its implied that for a couple of bucks per title, sega grants you permission to use all the romhacks you like.
nobody really expects you to use the official emu exclusively, just pretend that you do to keep up appearances
>>
>>3209832
I can't tell if you're joking or not. Infact I can't tell if anyone in this thread is.

Are people actually hyped about this? Why?
>>
>>3210856
Yeah, Genesis ROMs have been online for years. People who prefer legit hardware will still go the cart or flashcart + original console route, and actual collectors won't care either (owning the physical good is a key part of the experience).
>>
>>3210863
>Yeah, Genesis ROMs have been online for years. People who prefer legit hardware will still go the cart or flashcart + original console route, and actual collectors won't care either
Difference is SEGA themselves are getting paid for this, rather than some slimy fat kike on ebay.

>(owning the physical good is a key part of the experience).
Rubbish. What counts is the game data, not where it's stored in.
>>
>>3210874
As I said, for actual collectors. Someone who was wanting to pay any significant amount of money for physical copies of old games isn't suddenly going to stop because Sega is releasing them again.
>>
>>3209719
But that was never an important draw for buying original hardware, since you'd need to rip your carts, apply the hack and put the hacked game on an empty cart. Has nothing to do with resellers.

Anyways the target audience is still different. For people buying carts it's about collecting and an authentic experience - they will continue buying carts, because if they wanted to play the games on their PC they'd just pirate them.

The truly baffling thing is that Sega never thought to do this before. It's easy money for almost no effort, and Nintendo's VC had made it obvious that it was worth a try.

>>3209715
>>3209719
While it's definitely a bonus for the MD Hub over the VC, it's not like they're not comparable at all. The audience that likes to use mods and hacks is pretty small compared to the people who just want to play classic games.
>>
>>3209551
>SteamOS
That's just another smarter jew.
>>
>>3210874
>Difference is SEGA themselves are getting paid for this, rather than some slimy fat kike on ebay.
They're not getting paid for this, it's free.

They're getting paid for the roms you can buy for steam and have been able to buy for some time, but this "hub" is just a front end for those roms.

I mean it sounds novel and all, but even if I bought roms from steam, I don't think I'd bother, maybe once or twice for curiosity sake, but otherwise I don't see the point.
>>
>>3209551
>Collectors on sucide watch
>>
>/vr/ actually think people collect because they have a moral opposition to piracy
>>
>>3209551
bump
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.