[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else picking this up?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5
Anyone else picking this up?
>>
>chink special cable
>proprietary transcoder
>$35

Sure the hipsters will eat it up.
>>
is it for real this time? do they have the genesis one too?
>>
File: 1463036750619.png (209 KB, 361x361) Image search: [Google]
1463036750619.png
209 KB, 361x361
>>3208346
>>
>>3208351
that's as cheap as an official s-video cable for a lot of consoles If I didn't get rid of my fd trinitron and switch to an s-video only set I would try one out
>>
>>3208354
Yeah
>>
I have been following the people who are making these cables for awhile. I'm excited, but I'm hoping it's not expensive.
>>
>>3208357
Works with mod 1&2 32x and cd
>>
>>3208351
This is about the same as the quality Scart cables sold on eBay. Most people aren't going to make their own leads from mini coax wires as its not cost effective...just fun and rewarding.
>>
Why is /vr/ been bashing these cables since they were first announced? Two gamer buddies start a company making something real and we hate them why?
https://youtu.be/XXbObzmHP20
>>
>>3208659
Shit product that mainly only hipsters want.
>>
File: 1462985389463.gif (182 KB, 226x224) Image search: [Google]
1462985389463.gif
182 KB, 226x224
Does it work with my Retron 5?
>>
>>3208662
how do you know it's shit? nobody has seen anything but the prototype and it looks good from the footage.
>>3208664
Go rip some skids in a maccas lot and get fucked bogan scum.
>>
>>3208674
>how do you know it's shit? nobody has seen anything but the prototype and it looks good from the footage.
What is the point of having the transcoder in the cable? It's a mess at best.
>>
Still not sure how this cable is better than various RGB solutions (either SCART or custom RGB cables). At least for SD CRTs.
>>
>>3208682
>>3208697
consumer sets like the popular fd trinitron only have composite s-video and component inputs, a chinese transcoder costs the same as the cable will and you still need a scart cable, a 5 rca cable and an audio breakout to make that work with existing tech, less mess
>>
>>3208715
How is it less mess?

You have instead a bunch of specific application cables that are useless for anything else.
>>
>>3208715
>like the popular fd trinitron only have composite s-video and component inputs
My consumer trinitrons have SCART inputs though.
Maybe not in the USA?
>>
>>3208720
even with a transcoder you will need the scart cables with the proprietary console connector on the other end + even more crap between it and the tv. it's not worth it to switch if you already have an rgb>YPbPr setup but seems like a decent option for those seeking a budget upgrade.
>>
>>3208725
sorry I should've clarified. they are burgers and the cable is primarily for the burger market
>>
>>3208729
I wouldn't call $30-$40 a cable budget.
>>
Have they started selling the cables yet? Or are they still in production for the kickstarter backers only?
>>
>>3208372
Will the Model 1 adapter have a stereo lead to the headphone jack? Otherwise you're stuck with mono.
>>
>>3208862
Unless you just use a separate cable.
>>
>>3208849
The second one.
>>
>>3208862
There's a headphone input jack on the side of the box thing on the cable. You can see it in the picture.
>>
Got sick of waiting, so I just built an amp to pull the component video from the chip inside the SNES.
>>
Why is it called HD if it outputs 480i and not 720p?

Also, the hipster subculture was done in 2015. It's over.
If you are still calling people hipsters in 2016 you sound like my dad who calls people he doesn't like hippies.
>>
>>3209287
Glad you've got your finger on the pulse of society. Everybody, listen to this guy, he's the only one we can trust on these issues.
>>
>>3209287
Hipster as a term is old as shit. They will always exist, but you might just call it something else.
>>
>>3208346
>Anyone else picking this up?
If I have the extra cash? Definitely.
>>
>>3208732
Then you are broke as shit.
>>
File: F You.jpg (151 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
F You.jpg
151 KB, 500x667
>>3209287
hippies, hipsters, and you will always be faggots. Not take it in the ass faggots. More like pussy motherfuckers. good day faggot
>>
>>3208720
I don't see how that's an issue personally, considering how I already have at least one proprietary cable for almost every console I own. What's one more really?

Now that said, I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking at on these images. Are we talking about fans making their own 3rd-party copycat cables for less-common cables like Gamecube Component cables? I could be about that, I have a TV with component but no SCART (not surprising being in the USA).

If they work well then I'd be happy to grab them assuming they make something I'd like to have.
>>
>>3211730
From what I can tell, this is just a compact way of converting the SCART signal on the SNES and Genesis to Component. Instead of using a SCART cable and hooking it to one of those converter boxes, you just have a single cable.
>>
If the console outputs RGB natively then converting that to YUV is pretty trivial.
>>
>>3211730
>I already have at least one proprietary cable for almost every console I own.
For what application?
>>3213328
Not really though.
>>
>>3209287
Component can look good on a HDTV, that's the reason it can be considered HD
>>
>>3208346
Can I use this on a late model SD CRT with component inputs?
>>
>>3213328
Not if you live in the US where RGB wasn't standard.
>>
>>3215806
Wait, disregard that. I just understood what you meant by that.

Yeah it's not difficult to convert. There are cheap converter boxes that you can get on ebay for the same purpose. The only difference is that it's a more cluttered setup.
>>
>>3213335
well most consoles have proprietary power supplies and/or AV cables already. Only one I can think of now that has no proprietary stuff (and I know there's probably more) is the 3DO. Hell, when you have a Genesis+CD/32X having tons of stupid cables is just another day in the game.

>>3212690
That makes sense to me, is it 'proper' RGB and such? I've heard about some systems (like the NES) that do the RGB output but don't actually push the full signal over the cables.
>>
>>3215895
>well most consoles have proprietary power supplies and/or AV cables already. Only one I can think of now that has no proprietary stuff (and I know there's probably more) is the 3DO. Hell, when you have a Genesis+CD/32X having tons of stupid cables is just another day in the game.
Completely false.
>>
>>3215907
I don't see it, aren't the AV cables on the SNES/N64 proprietary, same for Genesis/Saturn/Dreamcast, Playstation/Playstation 2, and even the Xbox systems until HDMI took over? I guess the 2600 just used standard coax but that's not really relevant to the current discussion, is it? What I'm saying is I'd like to see more systems that use non-proprietary stuff if they really are pushing all these standardized cables.
>>
>>3215930
The SNES connector is proprietary but used on multiple consoles.

Nothing SEGA is proprietary.

You said
>I already have at least one proprietary cable for almost every console I own.
Which I really don;t understand.
>>
>>3215936
>nothing sega is proprietary

You're telling me all those AV ports used on the Genny 1 and 2 are standard and found on other hardware?

As for SNES, that cable working on other Nintendo systems doesn't make it less proprietary, a Nintendo-only cable is still Nintendo-only even if it works across multiple systems they made. Same for Apple's 30-pin iPod connector.
>>
>>3215987
>You're telling me all those AV ports used on the Genny 1 and 2 are standard and found on other hardware?
Yes.
>>
>>3215987
The Neo Geo AES used the same port. It even says on the Retrovision website that the cable will work with the AES.
>>
>>3215992
>>3216029

Ah, I had no idea. I don't really know specifics about SNK hardware as beyond a Pocket Color I've never seen any of it in person.

I stand by my statement yet however, as even discounting the Genesis I still have plenty other consoles which use some kind of proprietary cable, as far as I'm aware at least.
>>
Was hoping it was a cheap Gamecube component cable at long last, disappointing
>>
>>3208346
Is it out and where is it being sold anyways? I'm passingly interested, but RF from my SNES to my HDTV is good enough for most games. Only some really high detailed games like SquareSoft's later stuff look noticeably bad to me.
>>
>>3216134
The backer's batch of cables are being tested and sent out soon.
>>
>>3216095
you can try to get the D-terminal and d-terminal to component convert it's still around 220 bucks but its the only option for now but there are people trying to mod the system to use the Wii component cables onto the GC and HDMI mods.
>>
>>3208664
I'm gonna ask my wife's friend
>>
>>3208346
No i built RGB->component converters for all my consoles when I got my first component TV about 20 years ago.

It's a great source of kek that hipsters are paying that kind of cash for them now and excited about it.
>>
>>3215798
Anyone?
>>
>>3218667
yes, it is still 240p just YPbPr color. it will work.
>>
>>3215895
The NES PPU generates composite only. Afternarket mods are needed for RGB, and the popular NESRGB is just an FPGA pretending to be the PPU, might as well emulate.
>>
>>3216095
>long last
You mean long last year?
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.