[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Seeing how expensive Mega Man X2 and X3 are, I looked into the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5
Seeing how expensive Mega Man X2 and X3 are, I looked into the Mega Man X collection disc. Apparently it uses the enhanced Playstation version of X3 which was never released in the US, and a sealed copy only goes for about $12 on eBay. Is it a good way to experience the MMX series? I've heard a lot of people say that it runs in 240p, which would hopefully mean it looks great running on a CRT through component cables.

On a side note, the only games in the series I've played are the original Mega Man X for SNES and Mega Man X4 for PS1.
>>
Not retro.
>>
>>3207605
Ports are allowed.

It's all right. Don't buy it for the extras. Also, don't look too forward to X4-6.
>>
Everytime I think of how I sold X2 and X3 for less than $10 I want to kill myself. I got this collection to ease the pain. It's pretty good, I had no complaints. I played 2 and 3 a ton of times on SNES and I don't remember this one being a bad port. Definitely get it.
>>
It's a good collection, I recommend it.

If you want the games on original hardware, you can get the Japanese versions of X2 and X3 for about $50 total, or you could just get an SD2SNES flash cart.
>>
>>3207596

Not really.

The sound quality is shit and it has noticable input lag for me, but I've played so much Megaman X1-3 throughout the years that it irks me to play it on anything but an SNES and a CRT TV.

It's easily the most economical way to get X 1-6.

Over all, if you've never played them it's probably fine, but the X1-3 are on emulator and the emulator is good enough, even if you're playing on something that isn't cycle accurate like ZSNES.
>>
>>3207987
It might be fun to buy a Japanese copy of X3 sometime and solder an English rom chip onto it. The extra chips inside the cartridge are part of why they made so few copies in the US.
>>
>>3207605
shut the fuck up its still a retro game
>>3207596
MMX was pretty good, I remember MMX2 had lag issues and theres something really bothersome about the music in MMX3, its the same tracks but completely rmixed. i dunno, i dont like it but you might, check it out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn7wfayVqew

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Am1XppfNos
>>
>>3208005
Listening to the two side by side like that I actually like how the PSX version sounds. I guess it all comes down to personal preference, and whether or not you're accustomed to the SNES version.
>>
>>3208012
i feel its a little to techno-ey for me personally but its the fact that the music is completely different but the rest of the game is unchanged that bothers me. play both of these videos, but mute and watch the first one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsC0zIhWNww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP06NqpKigw
>>
>>3208084
I get the point you're making, although it doesn't really shock me that much because on the Sega CD they'd often times re-release games with enhanced arranged music, and back then it was pretty cool.

On that note, here's an enhanced "CD-ROM" version of Super Mario World that someone made for the MSU1 enhancement chip and can be played on an actual SNES console, using a flash cart that has the chip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxta_tvvXyg
>>
>>3208004
On the flipside though, I imagine there's probably not much text in MMX3 to begin with. For something like Chrono Trigger on the other hand, doing a romchip swap would be pretty economical. You can buy the Japanese version for like a dollar. Mother 2 for the SFC isn't anything rare or expensive, either, though to my understanding the board layout is a bit different from Earthbound. It would be a fun experiment although wiring up an EPROM chip might put my soldering skills to the test.
>>
File: 1375608095936.jpg (53 KB, 502x446) Image search: [Google]
1375608095936.jpg
53 KB, 502x446
The Mega Man X collection and the Wii U eshop are pretty much the only easy ways to get a hold of these games legally without spending a fuck ton of money.

Do it OP. As cool as it'd be to own that shit on cartridge it just isn't worth 150 bucks or more like the people selling them or the people buying them think it is.
>>
>>3208124
If I can get another copy of the original Mega Man X for SNES that will be enough carts in my collection for me to be satisfied, and it's currently at the sweet spot of about $30. Anything more than $30 is generally more than I'm comfortable spending on an old used video game-- it would have to either be something with extremely high personal sentiment attached to it, or something that offers a ton of value for the money being spent, like a good RPG (but not if it costs $100 or more). I think the most I've yet to spend on an old game like that is $50 for a copy of Metal Slug for the Saturn, and that was quite in part because of the sentimental value Metal Slug has for me.

And really the PS2 controller isn't half bad for playing side-scrollers since it's basically a SNES controller with analog sticks and handlebars.
>>
>>3207596
Look, X3 sucked donkeys, and the music was mediocre anyways on SNES anyways, so for getting the 16-bit trilogy is the best option since no slowdown.
>>
>>3207996
Dude you are DEAD WRONG!

X1 & X2 are hardware-based ports, not emulation, the collection was handled by capcom in house back when THEY STILL GIVE A DAMN!

Unlike with MMAC which was handled by americans with stripped down ports of the Complete Works series and shoddy emulation of the rest.

Or worse with the current collection when they made all fuzz about "Reworked Engine and HD glare" and turned out to be ROMS WITH RETROARCH AND A SHIT FRONT END LOADER FOR NES, hence only had the NES GAMES.
>>
Why not just buy the japanese versions?
>>
>>3207606

>shit talking X4 but not X3
>>
>>3208218
So was Mega Man X4 widely hated or something? I remember really liking it.
>>
>>3208218
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JrQgeF7MW-0
>>
>>3208234
Megaman X4 has ultra poor dubbing. Jp version rocks
>>
>>3208458

IT'S NOT OVER YET
>>
>>3208190
Handled by Capcom or not, the games do have some issues, at the very least on image and audio quality. Haven't cared enough to go back and forth between the originals and the (GC) MMXC versions to do any input lag comparisons or the like, but it wouldn't be surprising to me.
Also disappointing that they didn't use the higher quality/alternate tracks of the Saturn version of X4.
>>
The collection version of X3 doesn't bother me as much since I could never find a copy back in the day except for PC and that's the version I was used to. I do agree about 1 and 2 though, they feel slightly off.
>>
>>3208458

>caring about the dub
>in a video game

seriously?
>>
>>3207996
The game doesn't lag like it did on the SNES when there is a ton of stuff on screen, though.
>>
>>3207605
kill yourself
>>
>>3208108
Interesting. The music is pretty good but for some reason something feels a bit off but I can't explain what or why.
>>
>>3207596
x collection is pretty sweet
the lag is removed from the snes mmx1-2

the ost on ps1 mmx3 is a bit weird though
>>
>>3208775
It feels 'off' because it's fan-made bullshit
>>
>>3208985
Originally capcom was going to do what they did for the Complete Works releases and have music remixes for all of the SNES games, and perhaps some other enhancements (like CW's Navi mode), but they eventually backed out, only leaving the arranged soundtrack they had included in the PS1/SAT port of X3.

The music in SNES's X3 sounds kinda bad, so the remixes, while a little too "soft", are an acceptable substitute.

The X Collection in general (the PS2 ver. is the only one I've played) is very well-done. Much better than the lousy Anniversary Set, which looks ugly. The audio issues people bring up with the X collection are so minor that you'd have to go out of your way to notice them (e.g., stand around for 15 minutes to notice the tracks don't "loop" but rather are just long splices that fade out).
>>
The sfc versions are pretty affordable. It's also easy to clip the tabs in the console.
Fwiw, the ps2 collection is also OK.
>>
File: 1410165479899.jpg (68 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
1410165479899.jpg
68 KB, 480x480
>>3208218
>>3207606
>>3208171

X3 and X4 are fine games. Ya'll niggas are high as fuck or something.
>>
>>3207606
X4 is a decent game. X5 and X6 were garbage, though.

>Badmouthing X3
The only thing bad about X3 is that there's too much shit to collect.
>>
I have the Gamecube version of the X collection, are there any meaningful additions to be gained from the PS2 version? What's different between the two?
>>
>>3209223
The price
>>
File: 2016-05-12-1253-22.webm (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-12-1253-22.webm
3 MB, 320x240
Its kinda sad when you like a boss but have them totally figured out.
>>
>>3207596
It's probably better on an emulator IMO. I had the GC version but never really played since the controller isn't really designed for it, also looked a little washed out IIRC. I'm sure it's playable tho.
>>
>>3209362

>>>/wsg/1079752
>>
>>3208245
>>3208458

This really isn't a good reason to hate the game. Especially when it's restricted to cutscenes, which are only like what, 2 opening, 2 closing and 2 mid games, and 2 Zero Exclusive ones. Only 8 cutscenes in the game and one of them is just a bunch of yelling.
>>
>>3208525

Shut up faggot it's actually fucking horrible
>>
>>3210295
>This really isn't a good reason to hate the game.

Except for disliking it.
>>
I don't know about the input lag or image/audio quality, but I have X5 and X6 on PS1, and I prefer throwing that collection in as opposed to throwing the discs in, my copies are old so they can take a while to load sometimes.

but my favorite part of the collection is simply that all the games display in 240p, which MMAC didn't do, and it's worth it for that alone to me, for 12 bux it's definitely worth it, even if you do buy the MMX games seperately.

Can someone explain to me the image issues? I remember Capcom going as far as to recreate their little 3D SNES chip for MMX3 so that vector sword boss would display properly, only port where it works correctly, iirc, even in emulation it wasn't properly done until recently.
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.