[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Creepy/Ambient First Person Games:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 13
File: mystChannelwoodSunset1600.jpg (504 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
mystChannelwoodSunset1600.jpg
504 KB, 1600x1200
Alright, /vr/. I want to have a thread dedicated to first person titles that have an uneasy or otherworldly vibe to them. Specifically the ones where you feel all alone in bizarre worlds and adventures. Share what you've come across and discuss your favorites.

Obligatory titles include LSD, Myst, and King's Field.
>>
why do the prerender graphics of the 90s look very low/gay
>>
>>3208631
Because time is linear, anon
>>
>>3208631
Why did people in the 60s play music on records when CDs have so much better sound quality?
>>
>>3208635
the trees are of very poor design because of bad makers who could do better
>>
>>3207503
!I loved the grim but darkly amusing mood of Blood. That's a game which needs to be remastered with modern graphics.
>>
>>3207503
Man thats pretty. Early 90's 3D can still be impressive.
>>
>>3208753
Sorry forgot to contribute. OP's pic reminded me of Jurassic Park Trespasser. The parts where you are in the redwood forests specifically. The whole game nails the "alone on a spooky island" bit nicely.
>>
File: normality hallway.png (137 KB, 1032x686) Image search: [Google]
normality hallway.png
137 KB, 1032x686
Played through Normality and it had that feeling. Everything was so empty and "artificial" feeling. Obviously it's a video game so it feels artificial, but there was just something eerie about it. Especially in the mall and stadium levels.
>>
>>3208826
It's odd because it was a early first person games, like Goosebumps first person shooter similar to this. It was a bit more creative and you're right, we don't see these types of design anymore because mostly anything done in first person is realistic. I'd like a cartoon-ish first person game.
>>
>>3208935
Like XIII?
>>
>>3207503
System Shock is a big creepy if sci-fi is your thing
Also Skynet
>>
Not sure if Tong-Nou counts, but it is surreal and it does feature a first person perspective
>>
File: image.jpg (112 KB, 565x317) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112 KB, 565x317
>>3209002
Forgot my picture
>>
>>3207503
3do life stage
I cant find the video but there is a weird part in this game with strange textures.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJcGLXvpfD8
>>
>>3209063
Found it
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=O6KqF8Z7fgc
>>
>>3208631
why post?
>>
I just remembered that some of the Namco Museum titles had a first person section. You basically just wandered from room to room learning about the various arcade games that are housed within while a calm ambient tune hums in the background. My brother and I had Vol. I and we spent hours just going back and forth between the rooms. Shit was comfy as fuck.
>>
File: image.jpg (67 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67 KB, 640x480
>>3211736
The information lady used to creep me out.
>>
D is another game that fits the "creepy first person" description.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (56 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
56 KB, 1280x720
the old congo game for the pc was pretty spooky. i used to play it with my dad as a kid.
>>
File: baroque32.png (61 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
baroque32.png
61 KB, 640x480
Doesn't completely count because it's a randomly generated dungeon crawler (with a few floors that are always the same), but the static floors and outside world of Baroque always gave me that otherworldly vibe. Whether by design or not, the low-poly environments with sprites for characters really aided this.
>>
I thought the original Sega CD version of Mansion Of Hidden Souls was great, it feels very unique, eerie and otherworldly.

I didn't like the Saturn version at all though.

Also on PSX ...Iru! and The Note I enjoyed a lot, if you're into something a little more survival horror.
>>
>>3211736
I didn't know the yard from Pac-Man 2 existed anywhere else.

Neat.
>>
>>3208668
Shh, don't tell the hipsters.
>>
File: th.jpg (13 KB, 300x187) Image search: [Google]
th.jpg
13 KB, 300x187
>>3207503
>>3208759
>>3208826
Is it weird that I still would rather live in a low res Windows 95 looking universe than any of the modern shiny, sepia toned worlds of modern vidya?
>>
>>3216384
>sepia toned
It is used to cover up bad miss match and bad use of colors used throughout the game.
That is because none of the people working on the game have any understanding of color theory because they went to game dev college instead of real art college.
>>
>>3216387
Not him, but agreed. Game devs are destroying gaming. The literal-minded, art-free, emotionally-stunted assburgs who get into game design are the absolute LAST people who should be designing games. They're doing to the gaming industry exactly the same thing which they did to the comic industry, turning it into a ghetto for pissjugging neckbeards. It took 75 years for people like Neil Gaiman, Art Spiegelman, Alan Moore, and Grant Morrison to rescue comics from them; gaming is on track to fall into the same hole.
>>
>>3216396
Thanks to video games becoming big money making media much like movies, it's no surprise that everything is just a checklist, spreadsheet kike shill medium anymore.

It's never going to get better either.
>>
>>3208631
>90's prerendered 3D
People were jizzing their pants over how good it looked when it finally hit the market.

Even with prerendered techniques, 3D was still in the dark ages compared to today. Even render farms had a fraction of what today's can do so polygon counts were limited at best. Modelling tools were a clunky mess. Lighting was super simple unless you wanted to burn massive resources on ray tracing everything. Stencil shading was about as good as it got. Geometry and vertex shaders were still in the lab.
>>
>>3208631
>look very low/gay

Get back on over to /v/ you shitheaded hipster faggot.
>>
>>3216425
whats your problem :\
>>
>>3216749
not him but I have a strong feeling that you are underage and its not even funny.
>>
File: bitch what.jpg (67 KB, 485x700) Image search: [Google]
bitch what.jpg
67 KB, 485x700
>>3216396

>not including Robert Kirkman
>>
>>3216419
So, how do I get rendered 3D that looks like
90's prerender?
>>
>>3216758
That's because (a) Robert Kirkman benefitted from the people I named (who paved the way for comics which were not about beefy, homoerotic men in lycra punching each other), not the other way around; and (b) Kirkman is a fucking fedora'd sperglord. His cringeworthy "lesbian romance" at the prison convinced me he's just another horny neckbeard.
>>
>>3216949

Wow you sound so jaded. Invincible, Battle Pope etc. just besides TWD and he's called Marvel out multiple times on their bullshit. Also, are you talking about the short fated 'lesbian' romance where the girl ends up committing suicide?

Also, calling him a sperglord, you might as well call Gaiman one as well, seeing some of the things that go on in Sandman, like where Lucifer literally gets bored with all the stereotypes etc. that get put on him. That's some fedoracore shit right there.
>>
File: 1444498384571.png (72 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1444498384571.png
72 KB, 250x250
>douk nouk 3d
>empty quiet streets
>you're the only human around, except for the women
>the women just stand there... staring
>>
File: 1404535981740.jpg (12 KB, 287x260) Image search: [Google]
1404535981740.jpg
12 KB, 287x260
>>3216806
For the lower end pre-redering, you can look at game cut-scenes for that era like the Mechwarrior intros and endings, Star Crusader, or non-live action FMV games like The Hive. For higher end pre-rendered stuff of that era, you can see the non-vidya expositions like Virtual Nature or Gate to the Mind's Eye (with kickass soundtrack by Thomas Dolby no less).
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWQYJUTO4XE
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.