[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, compact discs are the future, r-r-right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /vr/ - Retro Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 9
File: 1.jpg (95 KB, 800x570) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
95 KB, 800x570
So, compact discs are the future, r-r-right?
>>
>Disc rot threads always show the same three photos
It's like showing a picture of 1906 San Francisco to show that earthquakes are on the rise.
>>
>>3207473
Keep your disc's out of moisture, and exposure to lights and you will out live the discs. Eventually all things will turn to dust in the end anyway. So you can only try and preserve things for as long as you possibly can.
>>
>>3207480
https:// en wikipedia org/wiki/Disc_rot

first pic haha
>>
File: cK4001j.gif (29 KB, 482x800) Image search: [Google]
cK4001j.gif
29 KB, 482x800
>>3207648
>https:// en wikipedia org/wiki/Disc_rot
>first pic haha
>>
Only ever had 1 game get disc rot.
Had a bunch of shit DVD games though.

Take pictures later. They're horrendous. Nothing to do with how you take care of them. I live in America and I have owned CD games worth well over $500 for years/since release. No problems. It's a DVD issue for me. I have 4 games I think with problems. Most wont read.
>>
>>3207480
>Disc rot threads always show the same three photos

That's because when we encounter a defective cd, we don't make a hundred screenshots of it, we throw it in the trash.
>>
File: batmancandlejack.jpg~c200.jpg (6 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
batmancandlejack.jpg~c200.jpg
6 KB, 200x200
>>3207648
What's this fucking autism with the spaces? Post properly or don't post at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot
>>
Disc rot is caused by questionable pressing conditions. I have literally never seen it on a Sony pressed disc. Something up to 5%-10% of my laserdiscs show it to some extent but being analog in nature it only causes some vhs-style distortion when they play. I would say ~0%-2% of Saturn and Sega CDs show it. None of my 3DO or CDI games have it but I don't really have a ton of CDI games. Likewise I can't say for sure about my Jag CD games as I don't have a Jag CD. Gamecube and Xbox games I think aren't old enough yet to say for sure about although if I were to guess I'd say they're also in the 0% range.

This is mainly an affliction of cheap audio CDs and DVDs but if you don't believe me I'd be happy to make you a cash offer on all your disc-based games before they're completely worthless.
>>
File: IMG_0692.jpg (532 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0692.jpg
532 KB, 1000x562
>>3207664
Camera's battery went dead but I took a few pics today.

All these PS2/Xbox games have some form of a disc rot. I used to be a pretty hardcore completionist collector. I still have some boxes though. This is shit I can't sell.

I have a box of somewhere around 100 games with this problem. None of these games in the pic were bought new buy me.
>>
File: IMG_0699.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1124) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0699.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1124
>>3209905
Camera can't pick up how bad these discs look. These spots are everywhere and look like dirt or water marks. They don't clean off though. Some have had a fog on them that will clean off. But it doesn't help. These discs are fucked.

In my opinion this is some failure of the bonding on the DVD. Not the actually data layer rotting. Regardless they are unplayable.
>>
File: IMG_0698.jpg (399 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0698.jpg
399 KB, 1000x562
>>3209913
Newer games with rot. These were bought brand new by me. When I say new I don't mean sealed years later. I mean bought around the time of release.

These games have a myriad of issues. In my opinion all from shit manufacturing. Rings, fogging, streaks, and in some cases pin holes. The Klonoa game is filled with pinholes but wont show up on camera. It's hard to take a picture of Wii games with how transparent they are.
>>
File: IMG_0700.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1124) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0700.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1124
>>3209919
Some of the rings on the NiGHTS disc. These have other issues too.
>>
WTF at mod deleting my post. baka
>>
File: IMG_0443.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1124) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0443.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1124
>>3209923
And I've posted this before but this is the only CD game that has ever gave me problems.

As I've said before I use this disc mainly as a fisbee these days. But it can come in useful for testing out if the laser on a Saturn tracks. Those spots in the data layer aren't from me throwing it around.
>>
File: IMG_0444.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1124) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0444.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1124
>>3209930
Please note the artwork. You can see the artwork hasn't been removed. Only the data layer.
>>
>>3209935
>Please note the artwork. You can see the artwork hasn't been removed. Only the data layer.

Yeah, other than the huge holes in it that we see in your previous picture.
>>
>>3209992
I don't think you understand how CDs are made. That silver is the data layer not the artwork.
>>
>>3207473

yeah, its not like you cant make a copy of the damn disc. Tell me when you can make cartridge copies.
>>
>>3207473
I don't know how close we are to cdrs ceasing production, but when that day comes I'm going to have to buy like 20 boxes of spindles so I never get stuck unable to burn a game for my retro cd systems.
>>
>>3210106
>Tell me when you can make cartridge copies.
Flash carts.

>>3210436
We're far off from that. As much as people like to deny it, CDs are still relevant. CD sales of music are still about neck and neck with digital distribution.

We're more likely to see the death of iTunes before we see the death of CD-Rs.
>>
>>3209547 here

>>3209930
>>3209935
This is exactly what I consider to be real "disc rot" looks like on exactly the kind of game disc I see it the most on. Are Wii games really that bad? I haven't really collected a whole lot for that console. Are Gamecube ones just as bad?
>>
>>3210436
You'll have ODEs for your consoles before they stop making CDRs
>>
>>3207473
kek
>>
>>3210474
>Are Gamecube ones just as bad?
Only the paint layer is fucked The data layer remains intact
>>
>>3210474
>>3212525
Guy who posted those pictures. I haven't had a problem with Gamecube games. I assume because mini CD was so new at the time that Nintendo had to use high quality plants.
>>
>>3207473
4k blu-ray discs, flash memory and ssds are the future, you dumbass.
>>
>>3210459
>We're more likely to see the death of iTunes
Fuck yeah. Can't wait for this shithole to go belly up.
>>
>>3207473
kekek
>>
>>3213208
>blu ray
>future of anything
>>
>>3213314
lololol the guy that collects dusty cartridges has spoken.
>>
>>3213351
Nice try but i don't collect, blu ray was never as relevant as DVD so i just don't see how can it be the future.
>>
>>3213181
I've just in the last three years started collecting 6th gen seriously. I've picked up a ton of uncommon PS2 games in my genres and a fair amount of Xbox too but I get the sinking feeling I may have missed the boat on the Gamecube.
>>
>>3213387
My advice man. Fuck that shit.
Going for complete sets is a stupid idea. If you really want to then go for it. I had some much shit that I just never even played.

People that go for complete really don't care about the games. Speaking from experience.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.